Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

She hadn't competed much this year and said she plans to take a break or retire permanently after Worlds (TBD at a later date). So no worries, she's been very quiet and low-key the whole season :lol:.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Another forum posted Izbasa's FX score as 15.6 Must have been at some point during the competition. The video shows that scoring was extremely relaxed but her tumbling was very good and clean. Her leaps were basically ignored and she will lose quite a few on them at Worlds if she doesn't clean them up by then.

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information! Of the Romanian women, she's become my favorite these past few years. Hoping she does well at Worlds!

4. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I really like Izbasa and didn't realize she was still competing! She didn't perform her best during floor EF at the Olympics so I can understand why she might want to give it another go.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oksana Chusovitina is listed as competing VT, UB, BB for UZB.

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Wow she's what 37 now?

7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

According to Wikipedia, she's 38. Talk about bionic!

8. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I love that even now there's still a competitive gymnast older than me. :lol: Thank you Chuso!

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I read online that she got an award for her Olympic participation (6 games so far), and in her acceptance speech, she said she has decided to continue on to Rio if she remains injury free. That would be her 7th games. I guess Germany has other people in the wings so she's back competing for UZB.

10. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Chuso is just a legend :respec:

11. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

In US news, Worlds Selection Camp is this weekend and the team will be announced Sunday evening.

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  12. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

With Ohashi out injured I hope Price makes the last spot. She deserves it after being kept out of the Olympics barely. Plus she is the only one left good enough to make finals on one of bars or beam (in her case bars only).

13. london_calling

london_calling New Member

From Kim Zmeskal's twitter:
    Me too!

14. london_calling

World's team is Biles, Dowell, Ross, and Maroney!

15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I had a feeling it would be Dowell because of the 3 athlete per apparatus rule

16. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I really wanted Price on the team, but this team makes more sense. Congrats to all the team members and good luck in Antwerp :cheer:

17. london_calling

Price has been announced as the non-traveling alternate.

18. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I don't have much hope judging by the picture on USA gymnastics' website, but I hope the team shows up in red white and blue and not pink.

19. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Sorry but Dowell being on the team makes no sense. She has IMO zero chance for a final on the two events she would likely compete.

Unless Maroney is doing AA now and Ross only bars and beam, but that seems highly unlikely.

If Dowell does over perform and prove me wrong I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

20. BigB08822

There is no way Ross is out of the AA unless there is an injury. Ross actually won night 2 of the AA at Nationals and will be fighting it out for the gold, for sure.

I don't think it matters that Dowell is on the team. The US has no one to really contend for a medal on beam and definitely no one else to contend on bars. Even making finals would take some luck, our only real hope besides Biles, Ross and Maroney would be to find someone who can sneak into beam finals but even then, Biles and Ross are just as likely to keep out their own team-mate. Might as well give the spot to whomever earned it at camp.

21. poths

poths Well-Known Member

British Team is Tunney/Harrold/Whelan and Downie

Am I right in saying only 3 can compete on each event is quals?

If that's the case, I'm at a loss as to who the Brits put up on Bars.

If Whelan and Harrold are AA then that leaves Downie to add for Beam and Bars and Tunney for Floor, BUT, Tunney also has a 6.6 Bars.

DO the Brits make Whelan skip AA in order to maximise bars
    Thus Harrold for AA, Downie and Whelan do beam, Tunney and Whelan do Floor and Tunney Downie do Bars.

It's a tough call. Not sure Tunney has managed a clean bars routine this year to warrant keeping Whelan from AA, having said that, not sure Whelan;s 6th at Universiade was good enough to warrant keeping Tunney from Bars.

:/

22. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

But who else should they send instead? Ohashi and Wofford are injured, and Price is not up to her old form yet. It's a shame Bailie Key is still a junior, as I think she would have definitely made the World team this year.

Coming in 3rd AA at Nationals, and doing so well at all the camp verifications, I think Dowell earned her spot.

ETA: re-reading this, and I meant Kocian, not Wofford, is injured. Too many Madisons! :p

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  23. BigB08822

Dowell also makes sense as a backup AAer. If we have no one to contend for a medal on beam/bars then send someone for experience and someone who can step up in the AA if needed. Also, if Maroney is showing solid beam sets then Dowell could only compete UB and again be a backup for the AA. Dowell has a bar set with tons of potential for upgrades, it looks a lot like something Tweddle would do but not as difficult. If she added any upgrades then she really could find herself in UB finals.

24. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

And for the men, who are the american entrants?

25. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

Wynn
    Orozco
    Dalton
    Legendre
    Naddour
    Mikulak

26. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I believe I read somewhere that Tunney and Harrold are AA, Downie Bars and Beam, Whelan just floor.

27. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Adriana Crsici, a 2000 Olympian for Italy had made a very successful comeback at age 31, and been named to the world team only to suffer a torn ACL at an international meet this weekend. She was doing a DTY in vault, a vault I don't believe she had even competed in her first career (I could be wrong). What a shame. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNes8yhcNas (video of the vault where the injury occurred).

28. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Poor Adriana, I remember her from the Sydney Olympics, she had a nice routine on floor. To make the team at age 31 and given how is gymnastics played right now its remarkable for her but maybe too much pushing on her body, hope a nice recovery and that shecould still give a go on the sport

Thank you, well that team sounds really solid (if there was a team competition) But many or almost every one of them could make event finals

29. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

The word is that Mustafina has been sick again, this time it is just a cold. There are reports that she has upgraded on all 4 events and now has 2 vaults. I hope she is in great shape at the worlds.

30. floskate

floskate Vacant

US Junior AA champion Bailie Key just cleaned up at the bi-annual Junior International in Yokohama this weekend. She won the AA with a 58.400 that counted a beam fall and she was still two points clear of the field. Then she won every single EF. :kickass: :respec: Love her combination of power and beautiful form. As someone on another site put it, she's like the love child of Shawn & Nastia. :lol:

http://fulltwist.net/results-japan-junior-international-2013-aa/

http://fulltwist.net/resultsjapan-junior-international-2013-event-finals/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.