Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

A beautiful, underrated dancer. Liu Xuan.. The whole 2000 Chinese team brought their A-game on floor choreo.

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

A beautiful, underrated dancer. Liu Xuan.. The whole 2000 Chinese team brought their A-game on floor choreo.

I'm a Naimushina uber :cheer: I love how she literally MARCHES to her starting position. :eek::lol:

And didn't Ilienko win the FX World title with that performance? :swoon:

3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Thanks so much everyone for those early 80s USSR routines. I missed a lot of them in the pre-VCR/pre-internet/boycott years between 1980 and 1984. I would somehow catch US Nationals on TV, but Worlds wasn't always well advertized (and I was usually working weekends) until Mary Lou Retton came along. And of course no US TV for Moscow 1980.

6. london_calling

london_calling New Member

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Maroney!!! The U.S. Classic looks HOT! Can't wait!

8. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I know it's called The Secret U.S classic because of the sponsor, but it makes it sound like they don't want any to know about it

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's not as bad as Cancer presents Skate America or something like that.

10. BigB08822

The name reminds me of other names that fans have for events. Like the American Cup which people call SCAM Cup because it is always such a scam and the judging and scoring is so biased to the Americans. Many gymnasts from other countries refuse to even compete.

11. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with the fact that it's so early in the season and non-US gymnasts are typically not prepared enough to challenge the US girls (and nobody likes to "lose" that early in the season). Mustafina did show up one year because the format was different and there was a hefty cash prize involved. It didn't end up going how they were expecting and they weren't all that happy about it, but yeah. I think nowadays, the US girls win not because the judging is screwy but because at that point in the season they're the only ones who are REALLY prepared to take it out. In the past, definitely there was fishy judging but now I think it's more the type of field that is presented. Outside the US, the American Cup isn't that big of a deal on anyone's radar. Smaller countries like to go as a way to get great "big competition" exposure and experience, and it has a nice payout if you medal.

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Pfft the American Cup was terribly judged the year Wieber faced Mustafina. The only event the scoring was right on was vault. On bars Wieber would have had the same or higher E score as Mustafina without her fall which is the joke to end all jokes. Beam she wasnt 7 tenths better in execution either. With both having a fall, and Wieber having an OOB, and Mustafina having by far a higher combined D score, Mustafina was the clear winner had the event been anywhere else would have won by about a full point probably, even if Mustafina was sloppier back then, and Wieber did deserve higher E scores in some places.

Last year was a joke too. Raisman without her mistake would have scored higher than Iordache on beam for instance.

The American Cup is still every bit the SCAM cup it is supposed to be.

13. BigB08822

Raisman won a medal on beam in London. I don't think it is so far fetched to think a clean routine from her would be one of the top scores on beam in any competition. As it was, she did make a mistake so it is pointless.

14. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Um Mustafina landed her only two salto pass on floor hands first the year she competed at the American Cup, and she still got the two salto line salto CR. Not to mention her beam dismount had about a point in potential deductions. While at the time I thought Wieber's floor was quite oversecored, when I reviewed Mustafina's floor fall I had no problem with Wieber's winning.

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Keep their vault, beam, and floor scores the same if you wish, but on bars Wieber with a fall would have at best a 7.5 E score (especialy if Mustafina was only a 8.9) anywhere else. Based on that alone she would lose by a considerable margin already.

Lets just say anyone who thinks the American Cup scoring is anymore legit today than it ever was has their head in the sand. The Scam Cup name will carry on until the event ceases to exist. Which is fine, I never took it seriously as a competition and never will. It is a glorified exhibition with zero competitive merit, and I just am glad to get to see the routines of gymnasts on a large broadcast each year (although mostly only Americans as foreign athletes dont want to send their best to such an event often anymore for obvious reasons).

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not too surprised by this in rhythmic gymnastics. I know someone who used to coach in it at a fairly high level, and it sounds like the politicking is even worse than it is in skating.

And I recall reading somewhere (I wish I could find the source, will have to look) that some ISU judges in the past had passed the written ISU tests, which were administered in English, but were completely incapable of communicating in English, written or spoken :shuffle:

18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Re judgejudy's post above, I think that danafan's point is that even if Wieber was scored generously on bars, Mustafina was scored generously on beam and floor. Given that he's got some fairly high level judging experience and has never been known to be a particular fan of Wieber, I give a lot of weight to his opinion in this case.

On more up-to-date things...I'm toying with the idea of a quick trip to see US Classic, as its a short flight from here (theoretically could drive, but I'm not sure I'm up for that). Anyone ever been before? Any tips re arena, etc?

19. danafan

I'm going to the US Classic again this year. I've been to the Sears Centre for the American Cup in 2009. It's in Hoffman Estates must outside of Chicago. I'm staying at the Marriott but there are other hotels in the area, not that I know much about the area. It's a fun meet to go to.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

US Classic is in Chicago? I'm just 1.5 hours away... hmmmmm.....

21. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

There is hope :) I don't think these girls have anything to envy of their 1980's counterparts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpp84powoAQ ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvpxZtOLiw ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_rpFTaidk

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

Some nice moments there and good to see choreographers actually listening to the music. The girls can really feel it too, but too static for me. Now THIS is what a FX should look like. I hope she can manage her growth spurts and perhaps it's a good thing they've come so early - so long as she doesn't have too much more to negotiate!

23. danafan

I'm very impressed by this young gymnast from Germany, Kim Janas. Here is her floor from last week's Euroepan Youth Olympic Festival.

http://youtu.be/gVhEERgIt7U

Beautiful toes and a nice style that I hope will develop over the years.

24. danafan

Edit double post, sorry!

25. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Lot's of potential and talent there, I love her style and quality of movement.

26. BigB08822

I love the way she does her triple turn. One spin in L position and then pulls in her leg for the other 2. Very smart and probably easier to get around 3 times by pulling in for the final 2. Is it worth the same as any triple turn or does she get something extra for starting in L position? So smart.

27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I loved this too - unique and cool looking. I also liked the bit of choreography with leaps into something that looked kind of like a Portocarrero.

I booked a flight to go to US Classic :cheer2: I'm only familiar with a handful of the seniors (Biles, Maroney, Skinner, Ross, Priessman) and very few juniors (Hundley and Johnson-Scharf are the only names I recognize off the top). Any recommendations on who to keep an eye on, especially in juniors?

28. danafan

It's actually two different turns for Janas - a full turn with leg at horizontal (B) to a regular turn (B) on the same foot without a step, which is a new CV in the 2013-2016 COP. She's the first gymnast I've seen do this and it was quite lovely.

I don't know much about the US juniors, but Bailie Key is one of the top gymnasts, and I quite like Polina Schennikova so I'd watch those two closely too.

29. BigB08822

U.S. Classic practices started today. Maroney warmed up all events but is supposedly only competing Vault ad FX. Only timers on vault today, should vault full vaults tonight but it is closed and not sure if we will get videos/reports.

30. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

USAG is posting videos from the 2nd podium training session to their YouTube channel. Maroney's Amanar is still the best in the world. :swoon:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.