Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I forgot how lovely Dementyeva could be. Afanasyeva's floor is lovely but that third tumble. The front punch needs to go she was having trouble with that on her previous routine and looks like she is struggling again with it.

2. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I think this is the first time that I'm keeping up with gymnastics during a post-Olympic year, and all because I find Aliya Mustafina to be so kickass.

4. Domshabfan

I am very impressed with Russian men's team, they looked like a complete team now after the addition of Nikolai Kuksenkov. I don't think think they had a fall in their routine and only event where the team score less than 15 was on HB. Team score higher 273 is also very good, consider all the vaults are downgraded by 1.0 points isn start value since London.

Since i could not fins a link to the opening ceremony here, I am linking it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8qwEFDmW8. Kazan really is a beautiful city, and also for Football enthusiasts, Kazan arena will also host world cup in 2018. I have to say teh stadium does take a very prime arena of Kazan real estate.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I'll have to wait until I get home to view it. "Not available fr mobile devices". :(

6. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Very Interesting AA at Universiade - here are some scrambled thoughts:

Mustafina wins easily with flawed routines. I can't actually recall her having had a clean AA post surgey?
    Here she fell from beam on her double turn (rest of beam was lovely), was very messy on her turns and leaps on floor aswell as the now obligatory horrific triple twist. She scored (IIRC) 14.75 (vault), 15.2 (UB), 14.05 (beam), 13.9 (FX)

Afan took second: She really fought for her bars which were at least negotiated without a fall. There was however, a major form break and a few heart in your mouth moments to give her a 13.75 on that event. She nailed her DTY for a 14.95 (IIRC), stayed on bars for 13.75...but, her new beam set was a huge mess. Whilst she didn't fall, every acrobatic move was landed piked with windmill arms. It has zero flow or rhythm which was her strong suit less than a year ago. She nailed floor to finish, by nailed I mean, stuck DLO, Stuck double Pike and well in bounds third pass. Triple twist had a slight one foot step back but a well deserved 15.00 for the exercise.

The Mexican (double barrel first name, double barrel second name) fell on floor and bars but what a fantastic gymnast! She had some of the best lines in the competition.

Elsabeth Black's beam was really surprising. She scored highest beam of the day with a 14'6 but then fell on floor to throw the bronze away. I think she had been 2nd overall going into the floor.

Kim Bui took bronze. She's good on bars but her stumpy line and zero rhythm makes her almost unbearable to watch in an AA.

Hannah Whelan was 6th. I'm sad about this girl. She has a reverted to a full twisting Yurchenko on vault (she had a DTY last year and 1.5 for the past 5 years). This FTY still scored 14. Her Bars though, she had really improved them in '11 and '12, but now, man, they are rough. She scraped a 12 and I don't even think she fell. Despite being a former European floor medalist, she also scored 12 something on floor without a fall. I know she trains hard and she is committed but her conditioning is really poor. She clearly lacks stamina. She had potential, shame to see it not utilised.

7. floskate

floskate Vacant

Yikes Musty's FX is horrible :yikes: That pause in the corner was longer than her bars routine :eek: The triple twist HAS to go. Couldn't she work with a skating coach on air position maybe? I'd take crossed ankles if she at least kept her legs together!

Afan IS gorgeous, but WHERE is the choreography? LOVE the quite kitch orchestral backdrop but she's just wafting when she can be arsed. Gym FX choreo is just a huge, bad JOKE apart from maybe Romania and the odd VERY rare exceptions.

8. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I am a HUGE Afan fan, but after her efforts the last three years, her new FX is disappointing. Still, Ksenia and Aliya are the kind of gymnasts I'd watch just walking along a podium and I'd think it beautiful :lol:

9. floskate

floskate Vacant

Don't get me wrong - she's a beautiful floor worker. But when you know what she and Musty are capable of artistically, and should be delivering on FX, then these 'exercises' are just phoned in construction-wise. Who knew Alexandrov would be missed quite so quickly? :fragile:

10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Haha, who knew we'd get back to hearing Romania used a good example of choreography about 10 years ago? Adriana Pop usually has good ideas and I'm glad the team's back to working with her.

11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Oh I completely agree. Even Afan's 2013 Euros winning FX is watered down from the same routine at London. It's... frustrating. Musty could clearly do a Boginskaya/Khkorkina-esque epically dramatik FX but just ... doesn't.

12. poths

poths Well-Known Member

I really don't understand why anyone would be critical of Afan or the Russian team for having banal, basic CH that is light on energy and facilitates maximum effort on tumbles. Afan had a complex routine In London that was detailed, innovative and took a lot of energy. Ultimately she was DESTROYED by an American who did a Mexican wave and a genie arm cross.... The scores in London showed that CH is unnecessary and detrimental to success.

This routine is easy for Afan. The height of her double pike at the end of the routine, at the end of an AA competition shows that she has made the right decision.

The code not only needs to reward top class CH but more importantly, subtract from routines like Raisman that have nothing...until then, why would anyone bother....

13. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

14. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

15. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Exactly!

Why bother with things like choreo when the code doesn't reward it?

16. poths

poths Well-Known Member

17. Dr.Siouxs

I haven't seen those in years, poths. :eek: Thanks for posting--two of my favorite performances ever....

Kate Richardson followed in the same vein if I'm not mistaken. ;) :inavoid: Here is her performance at the 2004 Olympic Event Finals. Some say she wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

18. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Two amanars and a Cheng. Better Vault final than the Olympics.

19. poths

poths Well-Known Member

I just can't believe how good Afans Amanar was. Shame Hong was allowed compete in London as shed clearly have taken the gold on this form, but, arguably...so would Afan. Loving the resurgence from her. That vault makes her a must have for the Russian team for the next cycle. :)

20. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Credit to Paseka for getting hers around too. Quite decent really.

21. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Loving that Afan leaves with 3 gold and a silver....matching Mustafina.

Only shame is Demtieva, I guess she's not back :(

There's a case to made for Nabieva ahead of Grishina going into 2014. Shame there's no team comp at worlds.

22. Domshabfan

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Dr.Siouxs

Why was that in the tennis thread? :lol:

:cheer: for Afan, Musty, Nabs, and Demented :2faced:

24. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody blames Afan or any gymnasts for doing what the code rewards since it doesn't reward actual choreography. I think people are just lamenting. What makes it worse is that we know what Afan can do given the right code.

That said, I think many gym fans were spoiled in the Soviet days because they were always doing above and beyond what was required to get a 10.0 or a 9.9+. That said, it's just not possible with this open-ended judging system and stringent deductions being in place (on certain things while others don't get deducted enough).

25. michaelfsfan

26. Dr.Siouxs

More tributeS:

Elena Shevchenko -Big Spender/Pink Panther. The signature routine from the Soviet badass. (80's hair warning)

Maria Filatova - Sublime, just sublime

Aurelia Dobre - Yes, Sasha Cohen had a twin who did gymnastics. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  27. michaelfsfan

28. Dr.Siouxs

More epic expression from Natalia Frolova. I believe Grosheva later used this in 1996. I wonder if any skater has used it? :confused:

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The music sounds so familiar...

I got it!

Elaine Zayak's 1994 SP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kOLzvxxm8

The music is "Sinfonia per un Addio"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].

I wonder if others have skated to it too.[/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  30. floskate

floskate Vacant

Thanks for posting Frolova. I haven't watched that in years and I'd forgotten how exquisite that exercise was. Another couple of favourites:

Elena Naimushina her musicality and effervescence are just thrilling.

Natalia Ilienko Seriously stunning. :swoon:

And this is why I and many many others will keep bitching about shitty FX in today's gymnastics. The sooner TPTB realise that no one cares about crappily executed pirouettes and a split jump that needs about 5 seconds of preparation but still looks as though she did it wrong......the better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.