Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floskate

floskate Vacant

I really hope that Kyla has gotten her shoulder line sorted along with her new FX and bars upgrades. She has some very nice gymnastics.......until she attempts 'choreography'. :scream:

I'm most interested to see how Ohashi pans out as I find her hopelessly overrated. Yes she's got an insane beam for sure but her bars are a hot mess and her DTY has been very iffy technically in the recent past. Her FX could be ok if she'd actually attempt to perform it but she apparently can't be arsed at any given competition I've seen her in.

Karps, where are these reports on camp that detail what Maroney did? I read the talk of the TTY but I haven't seen it in print anywhere.

ETA: I should just go look really :lol: This just appeared in my youtube feed:

Maroney at Camp Huge Amanar and training a DLO. She's grown a lot but she's still fabulous!!

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I absolutely freaking love her. She looks fantastic. She's going to worlds unless she hurts herself. Love the double layout!!

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Maroney looks really good and what I find incredible is that it is clear she is not in top shape. I am not trying to say she is out of shape, but you can look at her and see she isn't there yet. It doesn't matter though because she is throwing the Amanar like it is nothing. I do, however, doubt the TTY talk. She isn't in top shape and is obviously learning to do things with a more mature body than she had in London so a TTY at this point doesn't make sense. I don't see any reason for her to train something like that, even into a pit, when she is still not in top shape. If she threw it, I think it was directly into the pit with no landing mat at all and that really doesn't count for much because almost anyone can crank the twists when they don't need to land it and can't hurt themselves. Her swing looked better on bars and it looked like she was straddling through her giants instead of that tap technique with bent legs. Looks cleaner and reduces the chance of her hitting the low bar like she did before.

4. Karpenko

I agree. She's going to only get better and more in shape, that's why the improvements (esp on bars) blew my mind. Her bars have always had enormous potential, it was the routine construction and the way she swings (or used to, rather) that really hurt her score. She could be a beautiful gymnast on bars. Her beam at the Olympic Trials night 2 would've won her a medal in beam finals at the Olympics IMO, she can be great on beam. Floor with these upgrades (and no more 1 1/2 through to double tuck) could be a great event as well. I see staying power more than anything, I really think if she keeps improving she will be at least on the radar all the way through Rio. That Amanar will always keep her in contention at the very least.

Speaking of Amanar's, there is a jr Brazilian gymnast currently doing one and I think it might be one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GCyxb_5Nvp4

It's really nice to see some great talent coming up from Brazil, I'd love to see them have some medal prospects at home in 2016.

5. BigB08822

I mentioned on another board that Maroney could be an AA contender (not necessarily the best but someone always vying for an AA spot for team USA). Most of them thought I was completely nuts. I can't wait for Maroney to show them what she's got. People apparently only think she can vault.

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I agree that Maroney has always had AA potential. I actually think floor has been her worst event. Not for lack of talent, but because of bad/unsuitable skill selection.

7. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

No way, that would be her bars.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

10. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Maroney could be a top AAer if she improves her bars and stays on beam. Her floor is strong, her beam is strong when she doesnt fall or wobble around. Her bars is really weak though, although better than Raisman when she doesnt fall.

11. BigB08822

The good thing is that I feel Maroney has decent technique on bars (especially with an improved swing) and some good basics. There is no reason she can't improve enough on bars to challenge for AA spots. She won't be medaling on bars but that isn't required.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

13. BigB08822

When are Worlds, though? It would seem like they would stick around if picked for the Worlds team. I would be surprised if they didn't but maybe this way they can take pressure off and not focus on making the team and just enjoy their last competition. If they get picked for Worlds then all the better. I know nothing about China right now so for all I know they have no hope in the world of making it.

14. london_calling

london_calling New Member

World Championships start September 25.

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

16. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Zou Kai is Ipecac syrup in human form. Good riddance.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am a surprised that He Kexin has retired but good luck to them all in whatever they plan on dong next.

19. BigB08822

I read that they (at least the women) do plan on retiring after the National Games but they will compete at Worlds if picked. That makes much more sense.

Has anyone seen the new gymnast from China...Shang? She is supposedly 17. That girl is 14, TOPS. Probably more like 12 or 13. It isn't even close to 17. Why does China continue to cheat, and one year after the Olympics, no less? I guess they learned in Beijing that they can not get in trouble for it, so why stop? This will be another gymnast of theirs who suddenly hits puberty at 20 years old, I bet. She is probably 4'4" right now. It isn't just about her height or weight, either. You can simply look at her body and see that puberty hasn't even touched it yet. Not in the least.

20. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Probably because the rule is arbitrary and almost impossible to enforce.

21. BigB08822

It is not at all impossible to enforce on certain countries like the United States where clear and concise birth records are kept and always available. The FIG can not force countries to keep birth records, of course, but if countries are able to take advantage of it then the rule needs to be amended or done away with. I say do away with it, always have, but that doesn't look to ever happen.

I wish it were possible to force the athletes to compete in sanctioned events from a young age so as to start a paper trail (for example, you must move up through the ranks, you must compete junior before senior). This would stop countries from suddenly having Elite level phenoms who never competed a day in their lives until they show up at Worlds/Olympics. Well, they competed, but only internally in China (or wherever they are from) and never in any event that FIG had any say over. There would be problems with this, of course, what about late blooming gymnasts who suddenly come into their own at age 17, 18 or older but were never chosen for their countries Jr. teams?

The countries could still cheat and falsify ages of gymnasts at their first junior meet, however, it would be a lot harder to do that. The countries would have to start falsifying ages farther in advance and doing so would be quite risky when you don't yet know which one will even make it to the senior level. As it is now, they only falsify the ages of gymnasts who are ready to compete Senior NOW.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  22. BigB08822

I also think it is interesting that Shang is being passed off as 17. Why make her 17? Maybe because last year was the Olympics and she may have been needed so they falsified her age before London to use her if it came to that. It makes it even more obvious that she isn't as old as they say.

23. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I've just looked her up; her beam work is gorgeous. And how much do you want to bet that she'll look practically the same 10 years from now? What was the age limit at the Beijing Olympics? 16? Koko Tsurumi of Japan was just as small as Shang then and had a physique that was completely 'untouched' by puberty. I remember people crowing about how young Deng Linlin looked in 2008; I really do not see much difference in how she looks like now.

And it's strange that you picked the example of Shang, who has a rather old-looking face and who I'd bet would look much different out of the little girl get-ups of gymnastics. Just because you are used to seeing the comparatively much bigger American gymnasts and Western girls who sprout breasts at 13 or 14 or goodness knows how much younger doesn't mean that standard is applicable to the rest of the world. I have known adult women of East Asian descent who have the bodies of young boys; it isn't just that they're completely boobless, but they're practically without hips and just very small-sized all around with hardly any curves.

24. BigB08822

Well we can agree to disagree but China is known for cheating and I say where there is smoke there is fire. Even in the smallest of gymnasts I can tell a noticeable difference in their bodies. They can stay as small as can be but their bodies still change. It is a fact of life. It isn't just about boobs, either. No one escapes puberty (except for Chinese gymnasts who find miraculous ways of delaying it until they are 18).

25. Karpenko

26. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Well, I won't even get into the whole Beijing debacle; some say that they cheated, others that they didn't.

But I think it's just silly to accuse a gymnast of being underaged without any factual evidence to back it up. IMO, it undermines an appreciation of their gym and smacks of sour grapes and ignorance because, yes, there are 17-year-old girls of East Asian descent who can look like Shang and Koko Tsurumi. And the whole, oh, they've cheated before so they might be doing it again just doesn't fly - some Romanian gymnasts of yore have been proven to have cheated in regards to their ages; does that mean we should treat all of their future gymnasts with suspicion? (And yes, I've seen 16 to 17-year-old Romanian gymnasts who look like they haven't undergone puberty; not all of them look like Ponor at the same age).

27. BigB08822

I have absolutely no reason to have any sour grapes regarding Shang. As matter of fact, at her most recent competition I think she was robbed of the gold on balance beam. She is brand new to me so why be sour about anything? Other than this one competition, I don't know of a single result of hers. We haven't known of Romania to falsify anyones age since 1996. At least, not to my knowledge. They could be doing it but I haven't seen anyone who makes me question. I can only go by what I see, obviously. That isn't a bad thing, to use what you see. China has been doing it much more recently (they did cheat in Beijing, the evidence is overwhelming) and looking at Shang I say they still are. I honestly don't think you get what I am saying about their bodies. Comparing them to Ponor is a joke. She is a WOMAN. Not a small gymnast. You can show me a very tiny tiny gymnast (aged 17) and then show me Shang and Shang does not look the same. Her body has not changed AT ALL from that of a 9 year old. That is not normal for someone of 17. I think you are just looking for boobs and hips. That's not the only thing that changes (size of head comparable to body, size of feet, proportions, etc). Google it.

28. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

For goodness' sake, I'm not comparing them to an adult Ponor - I'm saying that I have seen 16 to 17-year-old Romanian gymnasts who look like they haven't undergone puberty, but Ponor obviously didn't look like that at the same age and that's kind of my point: you can't generalize so sweepingly and speak in such absolutes. There are East Asian girls who can look like Shang at 17, and I have already given you examples that prove my point. I just went back and had a look at Deng Linlin's beam at the 2012 London Games and I cannot see any difference in her body compared to her 2008 one aside for some slight boobage which can easily develop after the ages of 16 to 17, especially for Asians.

I'm also not stupid enough that I'd only be looking at boobs and hips when evaluating the maturity of the female body. You cannot conceive of a 17-year-old female having a body like Shang's because in your world that just isn't possible. Well, guess what, the human body develops very individualistically and the variance becomes even greater when taking into account factors like genes, race, nutrition, etc.

And don't take it that I'm saying that the Chinese have never cheated - Dong Fangxiao provides clear evidence that they have. But I'm not going to slander someone like Shang (slander is perhaps a harsh word to use but you are, in effect, calling her a cheater) until some harder evidence (besides just, oh, she can't look like that at that age, she just can't!) comes up that causes me to question her true age. If you want to do so because of such subjective reasons, you go right on ahead.

29. BigB08822

Shang isn't even at fault! China cheats, not gymnasts. I never blamed her or any of the others. Cheng Fei is one of my favorites but she was underage at one point, as well.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I hate how this quad's code just encourages all those stupid leaps and isolated dance elements. I guess Floor has been looking this way for too long to wish it would revert back to what it was in the past because the ruination of floor has been going on for over a decade now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.