Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Biles' vault is amazing but I really miss Maroney's!!! I would watch two hours of gymnastics for those 10 seconds. I hope she comes back. She deserves that Olympic Gold and I think she has more in her. If I were her I'd keep that Amanar and upgrade to the Cheng. The TTY will injure her before she ever got to Rio, I'm afraid.

2. BigB08822

Leyva needs to stop. He's going to hurt himself. He's clearly sick and has no energy.

3. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Nastia is doing a great job with commentary and I'm really enjoying Al and Tim this afternoon too. I could get used to this team as we head up to Rio! :cheer:

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Seitz form. :scream:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. BigB08822

I'm not sure if its just this meet or this group of girls but I'd rather go watch NCAA any day of the week. They are sloppy and really look rough. I guess it's just too early in the season.

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Ugh those leos. Pink is one of my fave colors, but even I'm sick of the damn pink leotards.

7. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

It's time for Victoria Moors to be a world medalist on floor, I hope this is her year for it. The first two passes were beautiful and she's one of the only gymnasts with any presence or performance out there anymore.

8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I don't like Biles. Yeah, she has a powerful vault, but that's not enough to make up for all her shortcomings.

9. HeatherC

I am SOOO happy for Jake Dalton!!! :cheer:

Congrats to Katelyn too! :cheer:

10. Cloudy_Gumdrops

That hairstyle (as seen on Ohashi, among others) seriously needs to go.

11. HeatherC

Wow, Kyla looked pretty great on BB there! Hope she heals up well and can get healthy for the US this year. :cheer2:

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

She was a sight for sore eyes after the girls who came before. Kyla too.

Ohashi is growing just the way I don't like to see. Long body, short legs, round muscles, short neck.

Biles is a powerhouse but her lines.......

13. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh my gosh, I only just watched her vault and it started off with her running so I didn't notice anything until she was walking back to the start... and then I went, WHAT?! :scream:

Poor girl deserves better...

14. BigB08822

I kept complaining about Ohashi's hair! I know it's been the style for a while now but it looks particularly bad on her. I think she has extremely long and thick hair and so piling it all on top of her head looks even more silly than the other girls who do the same.

15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

16. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was out of town and didn't get to see the broadcast - does this mean that NBC actually showed Moors?

17. BigB08822

Moors was shown on bars and floor if my memory is correct.

18. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Moors was shown on bars, beam, and floor. Her beam was by far the best she's ever done.

19. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Russian nationals videos :

Qualfication :
    1) Mustafina Vault (15.300) , UB (15.500), Beam (15.450) , Floor (13.600) 59.850
    2) Grishina Vault (14.9) UB (15.000) Beam (14.9) (Floor 12.600) 57.499
    3) Shelgunova 57.25
    4) Afanaseyva 56.85 (15.2, 13.45, 13.85, 14.35)

More videos here : http://www.youtube.com/user/amc81?feature=g-subs-u
    Team finals
    Mustafina did 3 events today : vault 15.25, UB, Beam 15.2, beam i liked her routine much better in the team finals

Pasenka did her amanar, apparently it looked better than in London 15.75 (ETA: it is better than london , but...)

Grishna did well on UB, fell on vault and wobbled on beam, Floor

Afanasayva had few misteps on floor , she went Out of bound twice...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  20. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Can someone please explain how beam connections now work as I do not understand. I keep hearing something about use of hands and that Catalina Ponor's connections would no longer be rewarded in this new code. Which, seems really weird as she is one of the few gymnasts that always seemed to connect her moves.

21. BigB08822

In the past code the gymnast had to show constant motion to get a connection. In this code you can not swing your arms through to show that constant motion. You must land a skill and then go right into the next skill. So doing an Onodi then swinging back your arms and doing a full twisting back handspring will not get a connection even if it is very fluid. You would have to do the Onodi and as you come up keep your hand above your head and jump straight back into the next skill. This is going to be tough, I think swinging your arms through just helps with the momentum sometimes. I prefer Ponor's connections because of how fluid they were but this should help draw a line in the sand about what is and isn't a true connection, before it was a little too subjective, IMO. I have a feeling that the only purpose this change will have is that we will see a drastic difference in what combinations are popular. Forward to backward combos are going to be a lot harder, swinging your arms through on those are just part of the way its done, IMO. Front to front combos should be able to get that connection a lot easier.

22. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

Really nice post, BigB08822!

23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  24. danafan

Ponor would not only lose the CV on her aerial walkover to flic layout and Onodi to flic layout - she would also lose the 0.5 CR for the dance series as that technique with the big arm swing will not be acceptable anymore.

Some of the Canadian gymnasts have already adapted their technique. If you compare these two videos from Elite Canada you can see Aleeza Yu (whose coach is also a brevet category 1) keeps her arms in front. Compared to Maegan Chant (who recently competed at the American Cup) who, at least based on the D score received at Elite Canada, did not get her dance connection CR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4kr-9Dgixs - Aleeza Yu BB 2013 Elite Canada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na3CIZR08JY - Maegan Chant 2013 Elite Canada

I wasn't at that competition so I can't actually verify that Chant's CR was not credited, I'm just basing this on the fact that I compared her D score with what she did and that's the conclusion I drew.

As presented at the Intercontinental Course - Wieber's split jump to sissone would not be credited with the CR, but Raisman's technique is considered acceptable. It's a fine line and sure to cause controversy.

The best thing is that the front to back connections which have IMO destroyed the balance beam will be eliminated as they are virtually impossible to do correctly under the new rules. And the series bonus which even allows non flight B acro elements to be used (only flight elements were allowed for CV before now) will lead to more variety. Non flight B acro elements that could be used include the valdez (Hofland from Canada has already competed valdez to flic layout), back extension roll (remember Shannon Miller's routines from 1991-1992?) or a handstand front roll (though I have a hard time seeing that used successfully in a series but you never know). I'd love to see a Korbut immediate back extension to back tuck or something.

In any case we'll see more trends as more international meets take place. It's too early to tell yet.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

26. danafan

Gymnix is taking place this weekend. Tonight was the junior cup. I have some videos uploading to my youtube channel. Http://www.youtube.com/danafan1 if anyone is interested.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks a million!

28. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Grishina's exceptional beam at Cottbus
    http://davaistoi.wordpress.com/

Russia choose most of their Euro team:
    http://davaistoi.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/mother-Russia-announce-34-of-euros-team/

Also, British Nationals took place this weekend.
    I was a bit shocked to see Hannah Whelan finish 8th all around, she fell twice on bars, and then again on floor (sat the Arabian). I really like Hannah and in some ways I feel like she has a lot more to give, but then, this weekend happens and I think she should probably call time. She has gone back to a 1.5 yurchenko, ditched her double pike beam dismount (and the Mitchell turn), ditched the whip into triple on floor. Regression is the only word I can think of. Maybe it's time for her to specialize as a beamer, because the Brits are still weak there.

Having said that, Gabby Jupp was OUTSTANDING on beam, she has the talent on bars too so once she adds the difficulty there, she will challenge for Euro AA medals. She should medal on Beam and possibly floor this year even.

Downie had an awesome bars set in qualifiers (6.2) (didn't do any other piece)
    Harrold as well, so innovative, but can't handle the difficulty yet (6.3). She is definitely keeping the Tweddle esque circus spirit alive.

Charlie Fellows showed that she is coming through nicely but needs more difficulty. She finished 2nd AA, scored a 14.2 on floor (5.6), only a 5.0 SV on beam and similar sv on bars and beam.

Tunney wasn't here. She's injured but hopefully ok for Europeans which means selection will be interesting!

Niamh Rippon won Vault and came 3rd of floor and 3rd AA but she just doesn't have the Goods IMO!

Downie only has one event at the moment it seems, but had a huge DTY last year, and a solid beam.

Hannah is a headcase

Fellows has poor start values

Jupp is awesome but low SV on bars and vault

Tunney is MIA

Eek
    I think I'd go with
    Team: Jupp, Whelan, Harrold, Downie, Tunny (reserve Rippon/Fellows)
    Vault: Harrold/Downey/Tunney (3 DTY's)
    Beam: Jupp, Whelan,________(hopefully Downie has something)
    Bars: Harrold, Downie, Tunney (Jupp is a good back up)
    Floor: Jupp, Whelan, Tunney
    Results: http://www.british-gymnastics.org/s...ent&view=bgmajorevent&eventid=7198&Itemid=936

29. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Harrold hasn't been doing DTYs at the moment.

Hmm what do others think of Ross and so far she has basically not upgraded. Please tell me we're not seeing another Sabrina Vega in motion. Also who likes Biles? People are talking up her adding a Cheng. But I'd like to see her upgrade to a Mustafina before performing a Cheng.

30. danafan

Ross upgraded her bars with a Komova-Pak combo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_RTrhTADrs

Biles is my pick for US and world AA champion this year.

Ross will really need to fix her floor issues or I could see her not even making the world team for the all-around.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.