Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

In MAG news, Phillip Boy retired. :(

2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Canadian Olympian Ellie Black training a bunch of new stuff. I can't wait to see what ends up in her routines.

http://youtu.be/h8AWRN2wu4c

3. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

That has got to be one of the most piked front pikes I've ever seen. And such a high and easy full. It'll be great if that translates to competition.

4. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Mustafina is the russian female athlete of the year. Male athlete of the year is Ruslan Zakarov, the diver.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever done a hop full from a backward giant? I was just thinking about this and can't recall. I imagine men have done it, what about women?

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Do you mean from a front giant? Lots of people have done it from a back giant (Miller, Podkopayeva, Ray, Kupets come to mind immediately), but I can't think of anyone who has done one from a front giant. I'm wondering if the confusion is because the "normal" giants that you see most commonly are actually back giants.

7. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

I'm pretty sure that Russia's Nikolai Kryukov did a front giant hop-full, circa 1996 or 1997, but I can't find a video of it online.

8. BigB08822

I always thought "normal" giants are front giants because you are swinging forward while doing them. lol Oops. Maybe I am confusing them with forward giants? So many skills in gymnastics go by so many different names.

9. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think the skill danafan is referring to is the forward giants because your body is flipping forward over the bar, like during a gaylord. There are so many grip names for them too :scream: I'd rather just call them midgets. We can have giants and midgets right?

10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

"Normal" giants are backward giants. If they're to swing into a somersault off the bars from a giant, which direction would they flip? A backward giant releases directly into a back flip, even though your body is going forward on the swing. A forward giant would release into a forward flip. Basically, it's reversed because the gymnast is on their hands, not their feet.

A forward giant is always in reverse/eagle grip, and blind because you're not facing the direction of travel. Forward giant into a hop full sounds HARD!

11. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Congratulations to Aliya. Well deserved

12. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

13. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I just figured out that the American Cup is in Worcester which is only about 20 minutes from me. Looks like I need to buy tickets!

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I've only just found out Philipp Boy has retired :( :( :( :(

15. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Mustafina will dominated this year and crush everyone easily. She will win 3 or 4 golds at Worlds.

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me but we wll have to wait and see how she fears against the new seniors. However I will settle former conquering her BB demonds. Bummed about Boy retiring. :(

17. Karpenko

Kyla Ross and Elizabeth Price will be the US entries at the American Cup this year. In other news, Kyla Ross and Elizabeth Price finished 1st and 2nd at the American Cup this year. :p

18. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yep Scam Cup should be fun. Very excited to see what Larissa Iordache can do this year and also Asuka Teramoto who hopefully has a real good future in the sport. Mens side looks good too.

19. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

btw, what is the deal with the American Cup? And why don't American gymnasts compete internationally more?

20. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

Boy's story is really sad, but based on what I've read, he seems to be at peace with it and ready to move on with the rest of his life.

Starting in 2001 there was a push to send the gymnasts out more, but then 9/11, coupled with the Iraq war in 2003 seemed to bring up security concerns every now and then, keeping them home. After that point, the assignments didn't ever seem to really return. Say what you will about Athens and Beijing, and not that *I* don't see benefits to competing internationally, but their record speaks for itself. There have been several gymnasts with very limited experience that have gone on to do well at Worlds so that is probably another reason why.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Will Mai Murakami be in the mix this year?

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

I think these gymnasts with no experience do so well in Worlds and Olympics because, compared to Martha's death camps, the pressure probably seems more manageable :yikes:

23. Karpenko

^ It's true. And compared to before, the US does compete in more grand prix events internationally. They are usually just early pre-season or in the after post-season. Elizabeth Price is fresh off winning two European Grand Prix events this past month, which is probably why Marta selected her to compete with Kyla.

24. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

Plus the budget for international trips is probably spent on the monthly camps instead.

25. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Komova out of Russian Nationals and very likely Europeans as well due to back injury :( Elizabeth Price and Larissa Iordache are both out of the American Cup. Koko Tsurumi will be there though. Also looks like most of the Fierce Five are back in the gym and still training.

China headcasing in junior meet but wow Great Britain look set to have a bright future

26. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

27. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Elizabeth Price Out of American Cup Due to Injury :(

28. Karpenko

Oh bummer :( I hope she can continue later this year, although she does train at Parkettes.. I have a feeling Lexie Priessman will get the spot now. Speaking of, she's planning on tumbling a double-double, layout full-out, and 1 1/2 through to a full-in for 3 of her floor passes this year. Pretty insane tumbling difficulty, too bad she also kind of dances like Aly Raisman.

29. BigB08822

With that kind of tumbling it wont matter what she dances like. Raisman is Olympic Champion so you can make up for it with super hard tumbling. It is a sport, so I don't mind at all, especially if the tumbling is THAT hard.

30. Karpenko

It is a sport, but I'd personally way rather watch Lilia Podkpayeva and Daniella Silivas do their compulsory floor routines than anything Aly Raisman, Elizabeth Price, or Lexie Priessman have ever done on floor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.