Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lulu

lulu New Member

I just finished viewing some of the ISU skating videos, I was wondering if the International Federation of Gymnastics has ever made a similar video for either Artistic or Rhythmic gymnastics. I know absolutely nothing about the technical side of gymnastics, and I'd like to become somewhat knowledgeable. :COP:

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  2. bek

bek Guest

Komova will never get the benefit of the doubt the last two times were clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Not only are the Americans much better coached, trained, and run than the past, hence producing much better and deeper team of gymnasts, I believe they are now stronger politically behind the scenes than the Russians who like figure skating have dropped to almost null and void in that department. Anytime a Karolyi is involved you know they can help your countries scores, and Russians currently have nobody to do this.

4. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

That's because currently a lot of them are too busy crying and pouting about mistakes instead of trying to fight for a vault landing.

:EVILLE:

Khorkina, Boguinskaya, Shushunova, Lyssenko, and the other soviet power-diva's would make this team burst into tears just by staring at them.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  5. bek

bek Guest

Perhaps. But Komova normally had a pretty big advantage over Douglas on bars, and Douglas bars scores magicalliy shot up pretty big time.. As did Douglas beam...That in and of itself was questionable. Essentially Komova's much better bars should have given her a cushion to take a few steps on vault.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  6. judgejudy27

Komova also deserved a higher score on floor. I was fine with the result either way still, unlike the 2011 Worlds which was one of the most ridiculous results in history, but I do agree Komova clearly gets no gifts from the judges. She is going to have to clearly earn anything she gets, as she definitely is not a judges favorite in the least.

7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Maybe she would be if she showed that she gives a shit.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

The US Men's Olympic team apparently made it through the Olympics injury free only to suddenly self destruct! Sam Mikulak suffered a calf tear earlier this month and now John Orozco has a torn ACL and torn meniscus. Sam doesn't need surgery and should be in a cast for a month. Not sure what that means for him as far as NCAA and next summer. Torn ACL, I know more about. Although not for Gymnasts. This season is probably shot for him. They say it takes two years to really be back in form from an ACL tear, although not that long to get back to competing. And this after he ruptured his Achilles in 2010 and Sam had two broken ankles in 2011.

Good thing next year is not a team worlds?

9. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

10. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

11. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yes Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 which she used in the 2006-2007 season. I'm not entirely sure what version of Noctune this piece was using.

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Douglas has the goods on bars to score what she did. Her beam score shot up because she stayed on for once and didn't wobble all over the place. Why wouldn't it go up if she hit a set? She also hit both beam sets before AA finals so the judges had PLENTY of chances to decide how they would score a hit beam from her. I remember all your whining during the Olympics now that I think about it, though, so I am not at all surprised to see you still trying to justify that Komova (or any one not American) should have won the AA. I could swear that you finally gave in after London and said Douglas deserved the win...hmmm...

13. bek

bek Guest

Her bars score shot up quite a bit.. The whole thing was fishy. Either they were holding back big time on bars scores being tight in prelims/finals in order ot help the Americans out and then losen them later on but I believe her score shot up by 7tenths. Its a huge amount and not like it was that much better ala Komova's floor.

14. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

If anything is questionable about Douglas it is should she have gotten into the AA final in the first place due to her huge mistakes on floor.

But come AA. Douglas pretty perfect Amanar versus Komova's worst Amanar which was ugly in all three phases of competition (Quals/TF/AA). Bars. Komova's bars looked sluggish in qualification and team finals and wasn't much better in the AA final. Douglas's bars in the AA were the best she hit on Olympic competition. Komova still had the avantage but I don't know what happened but Komova's bars just looked way more laboured than they ordinarily do and I think that Giant isn't liked by judges. Beam. I think Komova was slightly underscored and whilst I don't like Gabby's style on beam it doesn't matter. She packs difficulty and was connecting the hell out of it hence her big score there. On Floor Komova did very well still her chest needed to more upwards on some of her landings. It has lower difficulty than Gabby which is also why there wasn't a huge score difference.

And Bek you were saying comments like apparently Komova's amanar was just as nice as the Americans. Except it was UGLY.

15. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

16. judgejudy27

I think the wrong person defintiely won at the 2011 Worlds, Komova should have won there even with her lower difficulty and shaky beam and floor performances. Wieber was overscored on all of vault, beam, and floor there I felt. However I think in London the right person won. It was close enough to be debateable though, Douglas's bars and beam scores were arguably a bit generous, and Komova's beam and floor scores argaubly a bit too low. However some thought Komova's vault score, albeit rightfully low, should have been even a bit lower. Of course one could strongly argue Wieber should have qualified for the AA over Douglas after Douglas botched her floor routine in qualifications, and if she had Komova would be guaranteed the AA gold with the same performance (no way Wieber even at her very best comes close to Komova's AA performance, even with the missed Amanar).

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Found it: Chopin's Nocturne in E Flat Major (not the orchestral rendering that Kudryavtseva used): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZUw78FXpG4

Mao skated to it for her 06-07 SP. She has skated to a lot of Chopin!

18. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Grandi is re-elected as the president of FIG by a landslide. the rest of the positions are as follows:

Vice-Presidents
    Slava Corn CAN
    Michel Leglise FRA
    Yuri Titov RUS

Executive Committee

1) WATANABE Morinari JPN
    2)VIDMAR Peter USA
    3) LUO Chaoyi CHN
    4) ABOUEDEL D. Saif KUW
    5) AL-HITMI Ali Ahmad QAT
    6) WILLAM Wolfgang GER
    7) PENICHE Alejandro MEX

BUTCHER Steve (USA) is the president of Men's Technical committee, Nelli Kim (BLR) is re-elected as the president of WTC, Natalya Kuzmina (RUS ) is the RG TC president. Horst Kuzhne (GER) is the president of trampoline technical committee

19. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:wall:

20. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

21. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

McKayla will have a role on the Nov 20 episode of Hart of Dixie and Gabby has a cameo on the Nov 29 episode of The Vampire Diaries.

22. BigB08822

So what happened to those predictions of Gabby being the biggest thing to happen to US Gymnastics since...ever? I knew it wouldn't pan out. People just don't care any more and have more distractions than ever before. Maroney has been the break out star, IMO but she doesn't even come close to the fame of those who came before her.

23. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Having played this Chopin piece, I almost had to turn off the sound. :eek: One of the most un-musical renditions I've ever heard! :yikes:

The gymnastics was lovely though. :)

24. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Fffffffffffffffffffff.

25. Karpenko

Well predictions, much like in skating, aren't ALWAYS right. ;) Although I'm much happier that my other prediction came true. :biggrinbo

Gymnastics doesn't matter here anymore. Shawn, Nastia, Gabby, and McKayla are as big of stars as we can get in gymnastics but the interest has slowly died out after 1996.

I'm really excited to see how this season pans out. I still have all of my chips on Kyla Ross. :D

26. Karpenko

Chusovitina announced that she is aiming to compete in Rio:

http://www.gymmedia.com

:lol: I personally think they should rename the Olympics after her at this point.

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I should :respec: or :scream:, but as long as she can stay injury-free, good for her!

28. floskate

floskate Vacant

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

30. BigB08822

LMAO! I hope Chuso makes it. Why the hell not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.