Gymnastics News #5

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floskate

floskate Vacant

Carry on...... :)

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Is there any further news about Rebecca Bross' injury?

3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

All I'm reading on Universal Sports is that she dislocated her kneecap and that Marta insisted she do the vault because if she could do it last year, she should be able to do it now. :revenge: If it is just a dislocated knee cap I'll be amazed.

4. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

:mad:
    Don't even get me started on Marta. I'm so over her.

I can only hope that somehow, someday, she will no longer have so much power in selecting the world and olympic teams. I don't know when that day will be, though. :(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

:respec: There needs to be a mutiny.

6. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Isn't this where the personal coach is supposed to step in and say no? You can have a mind like a steel trap, but if your body physically isn't capable of this, you risk not being able to do the vault again....EVER. Somebody needs to be looking out for the well-being of these kids, because they blindly trust the adults/coaches and they're going to do whatever they're told to do.

7. LKR

LKR Active Member

She is retiring after 2012.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Marta and Bela have both retired many times.

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Exactly. Their stranglehold over US gymnastics is nothing short of infuriating. I could go on and on about all the abuse stories from gymnasts over the decades, but we all know them. And so does US gymnastics, but somehow they've decided that gold medals are more important than these children. Wait. What? Oh, this much-heralded, sexist camp system HASN'T produced an Olympic gold medal? Oh. Sorry! My mistake.

10. bek

bek Guest

One could point out too that the US's great results in this era also came when other programs who typically ran the show in gymnastics were facing terrible system issues. I.e the Russians and the Romanians...That being said I wonder how much of this is truly Marta's fault though. She's not angry with Memmel for only doing a FTY or scratching bars to avoid injury. Sloan's invited to camp and Marta pushed for Bridget on the team last. Raismans' not in the dumps for not doing the Amanar. Nor was Shawn for not competiting floor.

So how much of this is Valeri not being willing to let his gymnast water down (I don't recall Nastia watering down in 2007 either).

11. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Is Maroney better than Cheng Fei?

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

13. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I saw that Alicia vaulted twice so she can do event finals. Why wouldn't Maroney and Weiber do the same? They seem to be talented vaulters.

14. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Maroney vaulted twice and actually won the vault title over Alicia.

15. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Maroney did vault twice, NBC just didn't show it. I believe her second vault is a laid out Pod, and she's probably hoping to upgrade to a Cheng in the near future.

Wieber doesn't have a 2nd vault, IIRC.

16. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Maroney did say in the post-show interview that she is training a Cheng for her second vault.
    So I work at the MOA, and quite a few gymnastics fans were coming through today, most of them 12 or younger. Guess which 25 year old was gabbing with them like she was still in middle school? :D THIS gal. Aiiight.

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Maroney may not even need a Cheng. I just hope she doesn't injure herself trying it. If she has a hard time with that vault she could always work on the vault Mustafina did last year, the half on front full off. She is obviously very good with the forward landings.

18. floskate

floskate Vacant

So I just got through watching Day 2 on youtube and I love, love, love Mckayla Maroney's gymnastics. So not like a typical US gymnast which is probably why her work is so attractive to me :lol:. Best amanar I have ever seen and backs it up with a solid second vault. I agree she may not even need a cheng this year. With her wonderful form, I could see her winning the vault title in Tokyo if she makes the team and qualifies. International judges would love her style which I'm sure Marta is aware of. But are her beam and floor up to snuff to make the team in the first place? Also i've read she's a headcase?

Wieber is solid as a rock but bores me. Memmel is as injury prone as ever and ASac doesn't look as 'fresh' as she did this time last year. Raisman is solid but I can't believe they haven't worked on her horrendous form issues on the basics. At least they don't look very improved to me!

Never a fan of Bross but that was nasty. I don't know what her team were thinking having her do that vault considering all the skary podium training reports. I can't see a Nastia-style 2007/08 comeback for her, she just looks too beat up. At least for AA contention but they sure would still need her bars I think.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Back to the discussion of the National team:

Rebecca Bross, Plano, Texas/WOGA
    Bridgette Caquatto, Naperville, Ill./Legacy Elite
    Mackenzie Caquatto, Naperville, Ill./Legacy Elite
    Gabrielle Douglas, Virginia Beach, Va./Chow’s Gymnastics
    Shawn Johnson, West Des Moines, Iowa/Chow’s Gymnastics
    McKayla Maroney, Laguna Niguel, Calif./All-Olympia
    Chellsie Memmel, West Allis, Wis./M&M Gymnastics
    Alexandra Raisman, Needham, Mass./Brestyan’s American Gymnastics
    Alicia Sacramone, Winchester, Mass./Brestyan’s American Gymnastics
    Sabrina Vega, Carmel, N.Y./Dynamic
    Jordyn Wieber, DeWitt, Mich./Gedderts’ Twistars USA

And Sloan could be in the mix too.

So they send 6 to Worlds, but I thought they said 7 go to Pan Ams (7 or 6?) -- and not the same girls because of the timing of the 2 events. My recollection is that Pan Ams has included juniors in the past so I assume the 7 will include Ohashi and Ross? ETA this indicates no -- http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2011/06/pan-am-games-now-age-16/ Without Bross, there are only 11 counting Sloan.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  20. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

So maybe we send Wieber, Maroney, Douglas, Sac, Raisman, and Johnson to Worlds with Sloan as alternate.

Memmel, Vega, Macko, Bridget, Anna Li, and Sophia Lee and/or Grace McLaughlin to Pan Ams. Or are some of them not 16 yet?

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Begs the question, why not name Li etc. to the National team.

22. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

Message to Anna Li from USA gym: "We aren't going to assign you to the O team anyway so we're not going to bother putting any resources into your training this year."

23. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Douglas to worlds, I dont think so, she was very inconsistent at nationals and USA doesn´t need to give away points because letting a girl get experience at that big stage,

I think she could crush under that big pressure, I´d rather take Chellsie

24. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

If Shawn upgrades her difficulty over the next year I could see her taking Aly Raisman's position on the team as the "rock" gymnast. Actually, PLEASE let her upgrade her difficulty and take Aly's place. I don't understand how Sacramone and Raisman come from the same gym.
    And ITA that Douglas will not be put on the world team. She's far too nervy. My guess is it will be Wieber, Sacramone, Maroney, Memmel, M Caquatto, and Raisman, with perhaps Johnson as an alternate.

25. Athena

Athena New Member

That's my guess as well.

26. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

^Agreed

But there is also a chance Sloan will sneak in like she did last year. She always scores moderately well internationally on bars and has proven she can hit in big comps. I guess it just depends on how well she has recovered.

27. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

Their bars are similar...:shuffle:

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  28. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Huh? They are the exact same gymnast except that Alicia has a personality and (somewhat) cleaner lines. Exact same strengths and weaknesses. Same utility for team USA. They'll both make it to Tokyo, but with only 5 for London, they won't both be there as well.

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I thought Alicia referred to Aly as MiniMe they were so similar. But Aly is a little taller now.

30. poths

poths Well-Known Member

From the bits I've seen.... If Maroney doesn't go to worlds and win vault, I don't see her in London. Her one vault in the team competition is not worth the space considering Sacramone and Wieber score almost as much and if Johnson can upgrade....then she would hardly be missed in terms of team points. Having said that, if she wins the individual at worlds, then you couldn't leave a potential gold medalist at home, could you?
    For London, at this point in time I'd say....
    Wieber will go, and do well AA and be used significantly in TF
    Sacramone will go, do Vault and Beam and possibly make both EFs?

Raissmann is like a poor man's Nistor, who was a poor man's Gogean who was a poor man's......you get the message. Bross is only better because at least she has difficulty..she was tripe here, however.

Memmell, she is replaceable on every apparatus in the team competition, won't win an event medal nor an AA...so no.

Johnson could actually go and do beam now, she'll be much improved next year and probably be and hopefully have a better vault (which would negate Maroney?) Can she actually get the floor together, up her difficulty on everything and challenge for the AA? I'd love Wieber and Johnson to be the AA girls. So....yeah, she's in now for me.

The Bar are just so weak...even the likes of Douglas and Li, they wouldn't get near the Chinese team. One of them should just upgrade their arse off, because even with only 5 slots for London, the US are so screwed on Bars, they could potentially take an athlete just for bars.

SO my prediction for next year is:
    Wieber AA and Team: Beam, Vault, Bars, Floor
    Johnson AA and Team: Beam, Vault, Bars :/ Floor :/
    Sacramone: Beam, Vault, Floor :/
    one of Bross/Maroney/Sloan as AA candidates, and in for Floor/Vault in Team

Liukin for bars or a massively upgraded Memmel if Liukin is a no show.

If Johnson doesn't upgrade vault and get a solid floor set, I'd skip her.

Either way, between vault and floor, I don't see a team title. Mind you, I don;t really know what the international field is like these days, so who knows.

For worlds, I reckon it must be:
    Wieber, Sacramone, Maroney, Bross, Johnson, Raismann :/ and if Bross is too injured, then throw in random Caquatto girl or Anna Li for the bars.

Why send Li or Douglas for a bars set that isn;t even a big points getter or consistent?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.