Gymnastics News #13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Sep 28, 2013.

1. hktbone

hktbone New Member

I don't know if that was addressed before,but what happned to Elfi Schlegel? She was not at Nationals and Worlds. Did her contract ended? I 'd prefer her than Nastia.
  2. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Not surprised about the Italians' comments. Racism in Italy has definitely kicked up some notches, with all the black refugees pouring into the country. Look how horribly they are treating their first black minister:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/28/world/europe/italy-politics-racism/index.html
    I've visited and enjoyed Italy twice in the past, but I'll take my tourist dollars elsewhere in future, thanks.
  3. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

The Italian who made all those racist comments should apologize to Biles in private. She should also receive a sanction and possibly 6 to 1 year ban from international competition for her poor behavior.
  4. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

She was fired. Good thing too as she was awful.
  6. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I just don't get why she can be let go yet Al Fishwig is not. :confused:

Re: the Kim Un Hyang BB routine -- great routine! She has a larger range of difficulty I was expecting, including the layout-full, which is one of my favorite skills on this apparatus. She really needs to clean up the form breaks, almost every skill had one somewhere. But the difficulty coupled with the attack she has throughout the entire routine, once that form is cleaned up she really could sneak into an event finals at a big competition with a hit set.
  7. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

She has already made a world final on beam four years ago:

http://youtu.be/902SpiKm6Ow
  8. Fridge_Break

^ heh.. :slinkaway shows how much I pay attention... :p
  9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Darn - went to check CBC for SkAm coverage and saw they'd been airing EF since 2pm so missed the first hour. No time shifting possible either. Hopefully I didn't miss a routine not aired on NBC.
  10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Saw Worlds Event Finals highlights on the CBC this afternoon and those of you in here who said the guys put one heck of a aerial act on the High Bar were not kidding...HOLY CRAP!?! Talk about anything you can do I can do better. That was a very enjoyable fifteen/twenty minutes. :D
  11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We used to have an NCAA thread but since this is the off season I figured I would post in here:

Lexie Priessman has changed her commitment to LSU! That is huge and one of the biggest commitments LSU has ever got. I really hope more elites begin coming our way. We are on the cusp on challenging for National titles. She is committing for 2015 but may defer until 2016 as she will most likely try for the Olympic team. I don't know which school she was committed to before but apparently her twin sister got a scholarship to LSU for dance so I suppose that helped sway Lexie.
  12. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Yes, the high bar competition was very impressive. I am especially happy for the American men who did really well here, especially after London.

But all must hail to King Kohei. He is just phenomenal. There are no words. And the Prince Kenzo. Again, just completely speechless!
  13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I just hear Tim Daggett saying "horrible form horrible form" over and over! LOL he was so brutal on form!
  14. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

It was awfully nice having Bart Connor instead (Universal Sports). He and Amanda Borden made a great team.
  15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

According to her wiki, she had verbally committed to Georgia.
  16. BigB08822

And now LSU has a commitment from Ruby Harold of Great Britain. What a week LSU is having. I wonder if Jay Clark is about to take over the head coaching position. He clearly has been set up to do so, even his title is something like Co-Head Coach or something similar. He is not labeled assistant. Anyway, maybe these girls are committing because he is able to tell them that he will be taking the reigns within another year or two (they are still 2-3 years from starting). Nothing against D.D. Breaux but Jay Clark seems to have a ton of pull when it comes to recruiting and they may want to come to a program where they know who will be in charge.
  17. millyskate

http://instagram.com/p/fvuMFmsvcS/# She's looking forward to being teammates with Ruby, so it looks like she's changed her mind :lol: I'm rather sad that Harrold is considering a collegiate career already. It probably means she's thinking of leaving in less than 2 years, and GB need her for longer than that...
  18. BigB08822

Harold may never go to LSU. These elite athletes often commit and all it means is they will go to that college IF they ever go to college. Some do stay in elite gymnastics. Some also go to college and then work back towards elite as another Olympics nears.
  19. millyskate

True but I suspect it's a bit more of a decision for an overseas athlete. I can't imagine Ruby Harrold lightly committing to a US college - but maybe you're right! For the UK girls, US college is a massive opportunity. It's just something really fun they can do on a scholarship, just as UK uni fees have shot through the roof. I can imagine that many British gymnasts are going to try their luck from now onwards, and I can imagine it will have an impact the average length of British gymnasts' international careers.
  20. floxability

floxability New Member

What is the format for 2014 worlds? I think it is 6 member teams with 3 up in team finals. Is that right? How many get to compete in qualifications?
  21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

A second ACL reconstruction surgery for Peng Peng Lee and no UCLA till 2015. :( :wuzrobbed Shame.
  22. Fridge_Break

:wuzrobbed I can only hope that she comes back healthy and better than ever. Poor Peng Peng :( So many athletes have been able to come back from ACL injuries, so I am hopeful things work out for her as well.
  23. BigB08822

Best of luck to PPL on a better recovery this time.

LSU posted some videos of vault during their Intrasquad and they have two gymnasts vaulting a Yurchenko 1.5! I hope one or both can make lineups. That would be a first for an LSU gymnast to do that vault.
  24. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

What a shame for Peng Peng. I was so looking forward to seeing her as a Bruin this year.

I watched the beam video from LSU's intrasquad and I thought they looked good for this point in the season. I'm actually interested to see where they fall into the mix this season.
  25. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Fridge_Break

Gee whiz, that's insane! I doubt she'll ever be able to get it onto a hard surface, but jeesh.
  27. BigB08822

My internet is awful but is that video of Biles' double double dismount on beam?

If so, I actually think she could indeed get that to a hard surface. It may be too risky in the end but she certainly looks like she can get it to her feet. It was quite a legitimate attempt and I could see her doing it successfully.
  28. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Would it be worth the risk and extra points though since she does the best full in ever with perfect form and often a perfect landing.
  29. BigB08822

It would probably only be worth the risk if they give it an I rating AND give it a .3 CV for doing it out of the flip-flops. I think that would give her an extra .2 and they could argue for a CV of .3 so it could get her .3 or more depending on the CV she is already getting. If she can land it without killing herself and without being too low then .3 might be worth it. I am not sure, though, that is an awfully risky skill.
  30. Karpenko

It's worth it for progress in women's gymnastics, pushing the sport to new limits. It makes the most sense in the open ended system too, especially if she gets any of these skills relatively consistent. Simone is going to be the gymnast that doesn't show what's required, she'll show whats possible. Now that she's got the World Champ title behind her too, she is in a perfect position to do it because everyone is already going to be watching her and her position on all future teams is relatively secure.
  31. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

32. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

33. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i hope their gymnastics federation is better at filing paperwork on time than their skating federation
  34. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

All the paper works are done for competing for Azeris, in fact Anna has already competed for Azerbeijan at Voronin cup.
  35. Karpenko

It's too bad she hadn't done this sooner. :shuffle: She's still doing that same routine she had back in 2004.. A routine that could've easily challenged for the world balance beam title this year. ;) I mean who thought Mustafina would be world BB champ, I bet Azerbeijan Anna could've medaled. Didn't Russia only end up competing 3? :rofl: She has been their doormat for far too long!
  36. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Some of Pavlova's fan actually romanticise her routine too much, Pavlova is in no position even to make beam final, she will need to upgrade. Let alone score high for her routine ...
    danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Karpenko

That's true but acrobatically I'm sure she could get a competitive routine together if she knew she had the chance to get any assignment. I think she just does a routine that shows off her beauty and didn't care as much about putting anything back in risky (she knew she wasn't going any further than Russian nats since 2009 now, her routine has had less difficulty every year), I'd imagine with the citizenship change she means business and will give it one last final push to 2016. The combinations she used to do would be more connection friendly now with the newer rule changes. A front ariel-side somi could even count as her acro series. :shuffle: Then throw in the onodi-half pirouette I'm sure she could still do. :swoon: I'd love to see her in beam finals as soon as next year, she's one of the most polished gymnast in the world on this event still IMO and considering the scoring at the worlds this year I think she could do it.

I'd also love to see another gymnast do the Teza, I'm surprised (well not surprised because its insane) we haven't seen another gymnast do one in competition by now.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  38. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Sorry what's an Onodi 1/2 pirouette? Do you mean the Yezhova with immediate 1/2 turn (which isn't worth anything more than doing it to a handstand, which is what she's currently doing I believe).

I have to take issue with the quote I bolded above. The aerial walkover to side somi a) has always fulfilled the requirement of an acro series on beam and b) is actually worth less in CV than when Pavlova previously competed internationally. And I can't think of anything in her former beam routines that is now worth more in connection value, as the flic 3/4 to flic layout that she used to do was formerly worth 0.2 in CV but now caps at 0.1 in SB (Series Bonus).

I agree 100% with Domshabfan.
  39. Karpenko

:rolleyes: I always love your condescending chime in's danafan! +1 for technique, I anxiously await the next time you put me in my place. ;)

Obviously it wasnt her counting acro series before, she had the Kotchetkova-pause-ff-layout, that was a mild snark alluding to the fact that our current world BB champ only has a front Ariel-ff as her acro series in her world championship winning beam routine. Obviously Anna is capable of more than that. But thank you as always.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  40. BigB08822

I think Pavs COULD make a major beam final if she added back in her switch ring. The way beam goes, a steady routine with just enough difficulty is usually good enough to get one or two people in. She would need something else for finals if she wanted a shot at a medal but she could get there.

For the record, Pavlova got a 13.7 at the recent meet (her first for AZB) and that score would have qualified her to beam finals at the most recent Europeans. I know it isn't Worlds or Olympics but if she can still do that then she is certainly capable of upgrading enough to compete with the rest of the World. Her AA score would have qualified her in 10th at Europeans and 22nd at Worlds. I know we can't directly compare scores but we also have to take into account that she was clearly not in top shape at this meet.

I have faith she can still contend.