Gymnastics News #13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Simone Bile. :yawn:

2. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

Nobody is calling the quality of their gymnastics into question. Regardless of whether or not it was appropriate for Marta to make those comments (and I do not think it was), it is totally valid to call into question the legitimacy of their ages, especially after the Sydney fiasco. My doubts more surround Shang though, than Huang. I hope Iordache cleans her clock on beam tomorrow.

3. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

This is one hell of a womens vault podium. It's actually I think the best womens vault podium of all time - at any World Championships or Olympic Games.

To go from London to this podium in one year is quite astonishing. However, beyond the top 4 the vaulting was utter sh!t. This is an all-or-nothing type of event now. The difficulty is so high that we will see more McKayla's Simone's etc now, but we will also see that many more Pena's and 0's because gymnasts are going for difficulty that they can't even do in practice. Has there ever been a time that Pena HAS landed that double front - even in practice?

Are individual judges scores anywhere? I really think the judges were ready to give McKayla a 10 for a perfectly stuck vault based on that E-score. That E-score proves all that much more that she should've gotten at least a 9.9 in London for her final score.

4. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I could not hear anything she was saying in the recording and wonder if 71 year old Marta knew she was being recorded or was this a private conversation with someone? Sounds like she was not being interviewed but that someone taped her and put it on youtube for others to be aware of.

5. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

I know who filmed that particular video, and I don't think that was the case. He's more interested in the gymnastics than drama and this was probably more a case of being in the right place at the right time.

6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Words cannot express how stoked I am to see that Jake Dalton won the silver on FX and Brandon Wynn won the bronze on SR!! They are two of my favorite guys and I'm totally over the moon that they won Worlds medals this year! Congrats guys!! :cheer2

Congrats to Simone, Kyla, and McKayla on their medals too! :cheer:

7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Congrats to all the medalists from yesterday :)

8. floskate

floskate Vacant

I agree, there's just no way on earth that Shang is 17. I mean if they're going to lie then why say 17? At least try and make it a bit more realistic and claim that she's 15 and about to turn 16 so eligible for senior. I still wouldn't believe that though. That girl is 11/12 tops.

And there's really nothing in that Marta Karolyi soundbite that she hasn't said directly to the press before. I'm no fan of hers or her methods, but I can understand her frustration. Who knows how many more medals the US has lost out on due to the seemingly ongoing age falsification practices, Sydney 2000 aside.

9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Marta Karolyi and her husband was master of changing the DOB of romanian athletes, and they are now complaining of the practice they perfected. Secondly, Huang won the junior title in 2004. I have already posted the video of her beam in 2009, by now means does she look like a 7 year old in that video. She looks like a 12-13 year old from developing world. So unless they can prove Huang is underaged she is the legitimate winner. Well done Huang :cheer:

10. floskate

floskate Vacant

Did I mention Huang? Why mention her? Shang is the one people are questioning. Or was Marta talking about Huang in that video? If so I think that's not the case as Huang does look more mature. And yes I know what happened in Romania both before and after the Karolyi's left. Sure it's hypocritical but that doesn't stop her from being right about China using underage gymnasts at this Worlds does it? The Karolyi's certainly weren't the only ones up to shenanigans back in the 1970's. The sport was completely corrupt back then.

11. Domshabfan

Marta was talking about Huang in the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_rNN0yjnqg

12. floskate

floskate Vacant

Hmm, Huang is the only one that I believe is actually of age. Even Jinnan looks too young and she's been around since 2011 so goodness knows how young she was back then. I know that Aly, Nastia and Jordyn have been throwing out some tweets about Shang which is why I thought Marta was also referring to her. Actually watching the video back, when Marta talks about 'cute baby' she could be referring to anyone of the gymnasts on the team. :)

Anyway, whether Marta is right or wrong, at least one of the chinese girls appears to be underage at this championships and that is the real issue here.

13. Loves_Shizuka

Well done to Yang - great vaulting.

And a bronze for (my) local boy, Kristian Thomas :cheer:

Congrats to Legendre too.

14. floskate

floskate Vacant

Thrilled for Thomas and am just :rofl: at Musty in this beam final.

15. Loves_Shizuka

Iordache off again :wuzrobbed ... and then a random beep which she gave the side-eye too :lol:

16. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

OMG is Mustafina going to win Gold

17. Karpenko

Mustafina is going to be world balance beam champion. :rofl: This one is nuts.

Kyla should be World champ here though IMO!

18. Domshabfan

Russia has teh gold since rodionova to go.

19. Domshabfan

Ross has submitted an enquiry

20. Loves_Shizuka

According to the caption, Rodionova submitted an enquiry BEFORE her routine :rofl: :drama:

21. floskate

floskate Vacant

Gotta love WAG for all the :drama:

22. Domshabfan

No they said she did not, that is what BBC was saying.

23. Loves_Shizuka

... well obviously it was just a mistake.

24. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

hehehe

And who would be saying Aliya Mustafina World Balance Beam Champion before today.

First gymnast to score a medal in all four apparatuses since Khourkina.

25. floskate

floskate Vacant

And Musty is world beam champion :rofl: That whole competition took place in some alternate gymnastics universe. Unbelievable but fair play she really did pull that one out of nowhere :respec:. Her beam has looked like crap for over 2 years until today!!

26. Karpenko

I feel more :huh: about this one than when Khorkina was world champion on vault in 2001. I mean, really. :lol: she really knows how to compete like nobody's business. I would've predicted she won mens rings before balance beam.

27. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Beam podium is like the AA in reverse.

28. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

'Pride of Wolverhampton' :D (my home town) Good for Kristian - he has battled injury this year so this medal is really well earned!!

29. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Managed to catch the competition -- didn't realize it was on this early.

:lol: at how it turned out. I'm surprised, how many inquiries are typically filed in elite gymnastics these days? I tend to follow NCAA more so I'm really not sure. Mustafina submitted one but it was rejected, Ross submitted one that raised her score 0.1, and Biles submitted one that raised her score 0.2 and jumped her above both Italians for bronze. And then, of course, Universal Sports apparently believed that Radionova submitted one before her routine even started :rofl:

ETA: PML that they play Blurred Lines as the medalists walk off the floor. :rofl:

30. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Legendre!!! :cheer2: SO happy about his silver medal, he was the one USA guy I really wanted to win something. This has been such a lovely Worlds for Team USA. :biggrinbo

And Team GB boys with two medals. Cheers, L_S! ;)

(Any Belgian royals sightings this week?)