Gymnastics News #13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Sep 28, 2013.

1. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I am just turning the broadcast on, ti-vo caught on Universal Sports. I knew that Komova was ill, but Bart Connor says that she is in the hospital with meningitis. Wow. I didnt know she was so ill. I hope she gets well soon. That is a serious illness.

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

If you pretend that Mustafina's triple twist is an upside-down triple salchow, it's not so bad. She even lunges back for a one-foot landing. ;)

Kyla looks lovely tonight. If Simone hits floor, she'll win by almost a point.

FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

With a Nakano level wrap

4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Such a shame about beam for Iordache! :wuzrobbed

5. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

That's a novel way of looking at it. :lol: I love Mustafina in general, she really brings that Russian diva quality, but really, I'm glad she got hammered on vault earlier. Those legs are just inexcusable.

Iordache goes into second behind Musty.

6. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I don't guess she's motivated to fix it. She keeps winning. She would be really gorgeous if she did. I've always been a fan but the bent legs are hard to watch.

7. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I know....the fact that she was solid on UB but had a mistake on beam, which is perhaps her best event, must be quite upsetting :(

:40beers: For Mustafina though, love her and her fighting spirit :cheer: (fugly twisting and all :lol: )

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I feel like the early days of skating fandom - I'm at work and I keep hitting refresh to see how Kyla and Simone do in this final round. :lol:

9. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Biles' artistry on floor is just...painful to watch, but that should be enough for gold. Lots of bouncy landings for her, though.

10. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Thrilled for Simone and Kyla. They did amazing under the pressure.

Amazing to think that last year Simone was just the junior national aa bronze medalist. She's come so far in such a short amount of time.

11. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Simone easily walks away with it. The competition as a whole went better than I expected, it's a good podium. Simone's first pass was SO EASY. I think she could repeat pretty easily next year as well, she's bound to upgrade floor even more and her bars came so far in such a short time. The double layout-half was awesome today, and there's a lot of potential with expression in her floor that I hope gets way developed over the summer. Kyla could medal on floor with a hit routine based on today's scores. :lol: Who knew.

I hope McKayla, Yao, Iordache, and Iordache/Izbasa win the EF's. :) I like this Romanian team a lot, but I think it's partly because this field is so poor overall.

12. london_calling

Kyla Ross and Kohei Uchimura won the Longines prize!

13. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Kyla won the Longines award for elegance! :encore:

14. DimaToe

Kyla gets the prize for Elegance :cheer: PML at her being taller than Kohei

...trying to keep track of how many times they said "Longines"...

15. floskate

floskate Vacant

While Biles' style isn't my favourite, the joy with which she competed was really something to behold. She really is adorable and I love this podium. Fab job from Musty too after that horrific qualification. What she would be if she sorted out her twisting and actually trained like she gave a damn!!!

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Congrats to the podium - three very different routes to the medals for each of those athletes, and each impressive in their own way.

What do you get for the Elegance Prize - a watch or just the honor?

17. london_calling

What is with this announcer? "Ladies, smile. You're on camera."

18. DimaToe

The award, a watch, and a $5,000 check I believe?

19. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Ross is such a deserving winner of the elegance prize. And she's either really tall for a gymnast or Biles is really short, because I was kind of shocked to note that Ross looked about a head taller than Biles. :eek:

20. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

And unless she changed her mind, Kyla will have to turn down the money because she wants to remain NCAA eligible.

21. DimaToe

Well that fact that Phillip Boy kissed her on the cheek when presenting the award today should make it easy for Kyla to turn down the check :lol:

I know I wouldn't care about money when being kissed by him :shuffle: :grope:

22. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Simone's gymnastics, but I agree 100% about how well she withstood pressure and how far she has come since last year. It's also impressive the way she put the disaster at US Classic behind her.

And sorry to be super Canadian-obsessed, but I believe that Victoria Moors' 10th place finish is a best ever for Canada in the AA. IIRC, the previous best ever was Kylie Stone's 14th in 2003, so great job by Victoria. Ellie Black's performance wasn't as good as qualifications but 13th is still a decent finish and she also has EF to come. I can't even remember the last time Canada qualified more than one gymnast to the AA finals (I think it's 2004 Olympics?) and to have both girls qualify and beat the previous best ever finish is pretty exciting.

23. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Wow, I barely knew who Simone Biles was and she's the World AA champ?! She reminds me of Shawn Johnson, in that I am not a fan of her style, but her tumbling is fabulous and she's charming, so I can't dislike her. Really liked that double layout-half twist on floor.

24. floskate

floskate Vacant

Wow Maroney beat Biles for the vault title with a deduction for direction on her 2.5. Great vaulting from both girls and congrats to Kyla for her bars silver. Shame Musty couldn't connect straight into the shaposh half like last night but still, it's another medal for her which, considering she is clearly NOT in the best shape, is a great result.

In MAG Dan Purvis did soooooo well on FX but just missed out by a tenth. No one was beating Shirai as long as he didn't splat 3 out of 4 tumbling runs so Dalton's silver is an excellent result. USA are killing it at these worlds. And YAY for Max Whitlock, silver on PH :cheer:

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Ross should have won the bars gold. Her E score being only 0.066 higher than the 11 year old Chinese with numerous form breaks does not reflect reality at all.

26. floskate

floskate Vacant

Ross had quite a few form breaks of her own today that were not there last night. BBC commentators noticed it too. I love her but she needs to upgrade asap.

27. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Just catchnig up - watched the Womens AA on BBc iplayer, and I must say I enjoyed more than I was expecting. Biles is more watchable than I remembered - her FX is actually quite enjoyable, and that tumbling is :eek: Kyla Ross,along with Gabby, is my favourite American in ages, and I was glad to see Aliya pull up from quals - her FX was :swoon:

28. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

I am just thrilled for Daniel Corral, he took the silver shared with Max Whitlock of Britain in the Pommel Horse

This is Mexico's first ever medal of any kind at a World Championships

:)

29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Congrats, Mexico! :)

30. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Wasn't thrilled by any of the UB EF medallists, but I'm glad that Huang won just to sock it to Marta. Hah!