Gymnastics News #13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Sep 28, 2013.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't know. Khorkina did win 1997 Worlds, but Maria Olaru won 1999 Worlds, and the Romanians swept Sydney (thanks in part to the Vault not being set up properly). I also remember 1997 Worlds as being Gina Gogean's going away party and receiving gifts throughout that competition. Now that was a boring gymnast.

Funny how boring I felt the Romanians became under Belu and Bitang, and yet in London and at last year's Worlds, I really enjoyed the Romanian efforts.

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Marinescu was quite nice, no? :p

3. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

I guess I had forgotten some of Romania's AA medals. Olaru's 99 world title has pretty much been erased from my memory, as I am still convined Karpenko or Produnova won that. The whole AA in Sydney has been erased from my memory with the ridiculous Raducan DQ being the last straw. I was thinking about Khorkina's winning the 97 world AA, 98 European AA, 2000 European AA, and most every AA competition she was in that quad; and their 2 best gymnasts- Amanar and Raducan, consistently falling short of the AA title as Gogean and Milosovici had before them (unless you credit one as the AA winner in Sydney when one doesnt even have the medal and refuses to acknowledge herself the winner, and the other is wiped from the record books). As well their meek event finals performances in Sydney with only 2 medals, neither gold. Contrasted to the Russians who won 7 medals in those event finals, 3 of them gold.

4. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

5. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

This makes no sense to me. I understand the lure of NCAA, but being one of the best all-around gymnasts in the world with the Olympics two years away, I don't get why she would make this decision. Considering how good her bars are and how this is a relative weakness to the US team, she could have been a big asset the next two years.

I expected Biles and Price to go 1-2 at worlds this year. The AA silver really opened up now....

6. raineydaze

raineydaze New Member

Stanford doesn't allow students to start in January, so I think that may have contributed to her decision. She would have been a shoo-in for this year's World team, but in 2015 several key juniors turn senior and then more in 2016, and making the Olympic team would likely have been a long shot for her. She's not making any money on the elite scene, Marta doesn't send the girls to that many competitions, training for elite gymnastics is grueling... I think it all boiled down to how badly she wanted a World title or medal next to her name. And I guess she didn't really want it all that badly. Good for her. Stanford's a great school, and I think she'll be a huge asset to their team and will have a lot of fun in the NCAA. Elite isn't for everyone.

7. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Crazy. But I guess if competing for Stanford is her dream and not the world/Olympics, Why should she risk losing that opportunity because of a major injury? I liked seeing her compete and look forward to her collegiate career.

8. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

She never seemed to be that excited about Worlds/Olympics recently anyway. She always seemed more into going to Stanford, especially after her last injury. Good luck to her.

9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

She can also always return to Elite if she keeps in relatively good shape by competing at the NCAA level, and if she attends Stanford at all, even for only one term, then she has more rights as a student than as a deferred admit. If I was her, I would attend and have all the fun of a new freshman in the fall, which is way more fun than a World Championship, then return to an Elite training regiment by way of the Collegiate team training in April of 2015 . . . resulting in getting welcome week, a Collegiate athlete career, and still have a chance for an Olympics in two years.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Seems like a good plan. Although the U.S. doesn't seem to be suffering from a lack of depth, elite really is grueling and Price isn't the first gymnast with medal potential to decide to go to college instead. As stated earlier, there really isn't much money making opportunities in gymnastics outside a post-Olympic tour (and that only proves to be somewhat lucrative and possible if your team is memorable). Getting a scholarship to a great college and being able to still compete in gymnastics (on a much more aesthetically-pleasing, fun, and less grueling level) is a very tempting alternative to competing in elite (maybe doing an actual competition like twice a year), going to death camps, beating up your body beyond belief, and being scrutinized by Marta & Co. every year until the Olympics are over.

11. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

Not to mention that Marta's decisions cannot always be rationally explained, e.g., benching Dowell at worlds after naming her to the team and despite being a much better bar worker than Maroney, e.g., not allowing Li to compete at worlds after Sacramone withdrew with injury. Why put yourself through the elite regimen if the leader is capricious and vindictive?

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Wow, what a hard decision, but she's clearly very level headed. I agree, she's not going to make the big bucks w/o the Olympic gold, and the competition will be stiff for that. The current OGMs and World Champ Biles would be higher on the list for endorsements at this point. Stanford is a very valuable scholarship, plus those ladies look like they have so much fun and camaraderie competing in college (unlike the whole death camp stressed and scared lifestyle).

13. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Such an odd time for retirement. I thought She could have finished her season with a least one world medal. I'm happy for her though, it seems that she knows what she wants and has per priorities in check. Which is a great thing for someone her age. Good luck to Elizabeth :cheer:

14. grassroots39

grassroots39 Member

Too bad Price didnt do worlds this year. I am sure she would have won the AA gold or silver (probably silver), and maybe a medal on vault and floor. She had no hope for 2016 though so maybe she figured it best to take a good offer now before a herd of them start flooding to NCAA maybe even next year.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

No way could Price have challenged for the gold and I doubt the silver. Ross was in much better form at Worlds and hit everything. She (Price) wouldn't have even qualified to the AA based on 3 per country and would have had the same luck with the vault finals. Bars would have been her shot.

16. grassroots39

grassroots39 Member

I meant this coming year. I didnt mean 2013. I know she wasnt in the form to contend in 2013. There is a reason she wasnt even named to the team, despite that they literally had nobody as a 4th entry.

17. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think overall it's too bad, and a decision she may come to regret later in life IMO. Hard to believe the Strauss' finally get basically a guaranteed world medalist (and world champion) and she decides to quit in her prime and peak as one of the best gymnasts in the entire world to compete NCAA for a team that will probably never win an NCAA team title. For me it's just really odd and disappointing. She could legitimately come home with 4 World Championship medals this year. I also don't really buy into the argument that she doesn't really want a worlds/olympics because of the way she competed at Trials and all of this year, maybe an injury was starting to flair up and that also contributed to the decision.

18. grassroots39

grassroots39 Member

I had not thought of that. Poor Strauss's.

19. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

Whatevs - that was totally Uzelac! ;)

20. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Uzelac was different - she peaked as a junior. And, unfortunately, we've all seen a lot of super talented juniors who flame out before they're age-eligible for Worlds. The situation with Price is much different. That said, good for her for putting her education first. I agree that she may have had a tough time making a World/Olympic team after 2014 and I don't blame her for thinking a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

21. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Would Stanford not let her defer? She probably didn't want to lose her scholarship. I think a four-year college education is worth more than a medal. Good for her.

22. joubertelegant

joubertelegant Member

She had an opportunity to defer but would have to wait until next years fall to start school apparently. That is what I read anyway.

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Being familiar with Stanford, yes, she could get a gap year, which would put her as starting in the fall before the 2016 Olympics and does not make any sense. If she even thinks the door is open at all to try for the 2016 Olympics then she should start at Stanford this year, then take time off the year prior to the Olympics with penalties, if any.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  24. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Maybe it's an FU to Marta?

25. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Kristina Vaculik is at Stanford, and she took a year off after her freshman year to train full time (at home) for the Olympics. So there is precedent that they would support an athlete doing that, not that I'm saying Price is even considering that.

26. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Heard that 2018 Worlds will be held in Doha. Interesting choice!

27. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Doha was the only place to even put up a bid. What's interesting is that 2018 has been decided and 2017 has not. Makes me wonder if no one is interested and what they would do in that situation. I've heard Canada is interested but that could make things interesting for the U.S. who presumably want to host 2019 and would have a good shot since they last hosted in 2003. Would they mind the Worlds going to North America in 2017 and 2019?

28. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

29. floskate

floskate Vacant

She's on the list #216.

30. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

What a huge break this is for Biles. Biles now has a good shot to defend her world AA title thanks to Price's unexpected retirement. Price was pretty much a lock for the AA title this year otherwise.