Gymnastics News #13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Sep 28, 2013.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

One thing I do wish Simone to have that Nastia had was that very happy ending to the Olympic cycle.

2. scottieschamp

scottieschamp Member

I didn't know the exact stats but I thought Nastia was ahead. Since they are so close in medals I would still pick Nastia though since she won the biggest prize (Olympic AA) in convincing fashion while Miller couldn't win it at all, and she competed in a way deeper and tougher era than Miller was in. Plus she would have won even more medals without the age rules keeping her out of the 2004 Olympics, and had she gone on past 2008 while Miller achieved all she could possibly do in her career. I like the classy and humble Miller way more than Nastia who I found a snob though so maybe I should go with Miller. I also found her artistry more natural while Nastia's was fake.

Either way Biles will be the best U.S gymnast ever after the 2016 Olympics. I am sure of that. And in this all whitey sport some will find that hard to digest, just like they have a hard time accepting Serena becoming best ever (in the world, not just the U.S in her case) in tennis. They tried to hold Dawes back by lowballing her in scores but wont be able to hold Biles back.

3. scottieschamp

scottieschamp Member

She fell on vault which only cost her 2 and half tenths since the vaults are averaged. Remember Miller and Milosovici in 94 and Miller and Lysenko in 93 had lots of mistakes too, probably worth as much or more than Dawes's half counted fall, so it was if they fell on vault too. Gogean gave up like 4 tenths in start value in 93 as she wasn't ready for the new code. So Dawes should have atleast been on the podium if not the champion both times even with her fall on vault when you look at the others. Plus all the times Dawes's was undermarked in event finals. She was never allowed an event gold at Worlds or Olympics, while even freaking Piskun won 3 on 3 different events. In the U.S where they are fair to everyone she beat Miller for gold on all 5 events at the 94 Nationals, when Miller was the reigning 2 time World AA Champion!! I love Miller too, this just shows Dawes's ability when she was marked fairly. However in Worlds or Olympics Dawes could never be allowed an individual gold, not even an event one, and the reason is obvious.

4. challon

challon New Member

Gymnastics might have been an all whitey sport in the past, but not so much nowadays, especially in the United States. Go to the USA Gymnastics youtube video page, and take a look at the gymnasts who competed at National's and the Secret Classic last year. You will see how diverse this sport is becoming.

5. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Well thankfully we have variety in the ethnicity of the gymnasts, however all of the routines still look the same. I'm very racist against the code of points and I want a Peurto Rican tumbling pass with a Croatian balance beam dismount and a German giant. Gymnastics has become very McDonalds.

6. scottieschamp

scottieschamp Member

I think part of that is the code. It doesnt encourage originality. Everyone has to do the skills with the highest grade and alot of them to have a high difficulty score. It is good to see Biles already has 2 moves named after her since this past couple generations of U.S gymnasts while great havent shown much originality like Miller, Dawes, Chow, did. Even the fugly Kristen Maloney had 2 moves named after her on bars- her worst event. Hopefully the other U.S girls will follow Biles's lead and add more originality to their routines and have skills named after them too.

7. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think it's difficult to originate skills in the USA of all places, because Marta strongly prefers her athletes to have completely solid, tried-and-true routines that will stand up to competitive nerves. New skills usually have a bit of an adjustment period, but Marta won't let them try it in most international events unless they've landed it fine at camp for awhile. A whole bunch of recent US gymnasts have had new skills, but never competed them at Worlds or the Olympics because they weren't "Marta-ready" by the time they got there.

8. Karpenko

Simone Biles and Larisa Iordache are out of the American Cup, Brenna Dowell is in.

The year is off to a fabulous start.

9. Seregil

Seregil New Member

I think it was a foregone conclusion that Iordache wouldn't show up, so no one should be surprised. Shame about Biles, though.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Article on American Cup. Reads:-

As I said, Biles is increasing her difficulty. But, I would be more worried than impressed by that. Does not bode well for her longevity

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  11. Karpenko

:p You won this round... but not the war!!

12. Karpenko

Let's hope Carlotta Ferlito spent more time learning a real beam series and less time bamboozling us with her eye shadow so when she misses the podium after she can find some new material. I dare her to disrespect a sistah on home turf. ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Simone Biles Changes Gym - article reads:-

14. VIETgrlTerifa

Oh, so her coach is moving with her? Is that common?

BTW, it sounds like Mr. Biles learned a thing or two from the Gaby Douglas Excalibur fiasco and gave credit to Gymnastix.

15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Just wanted to bump up to say that the American Cup is airing on NBC on March 1. Check your local listings.

16. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

The grapevine says that Aimee Boorman left Bannon's and took her pupil with her, not vice versa. I don't believe it's been confirmed officially by the parties involved, but I think it makes sense.

17. FiveRinger

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wonder where Boorman is looking to end up at. It doesn't seem like that big of a change (training wise, technique wise, etc) for Biles if her main coach is still her main coach. It can allow her to get different sets of eyes on certain events, depending where she ends up at (Woga, for example, could help her a lot more on bars).

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I heard the 2015 American Cup is going to be in Dallas at Cowboy Stadium. There are rumblings that Dallas is gearing up for an Olympic bid and that the stadium would be used for gymnastics events so this could all be a part of that plan. It would essentially serve as part of the bid (look, we held a major gymnastics event in the stadium and it went perfectly...)

20. Karpenko

Not a single post about today's American Cup... Really says a lot about the state of gymnastics. :lol: But Price looked nice on vault and bars, overall I think the US is finally on the upswing on this event and if Dowell cleans up that awful Yezhova form, the US has a really strong UB lineup with Dowell, Price, and Ross. Beam and floor were really gross from these two, but I found Sophie Sheder to be absolutely beautiful (esp on bars). I really like the talent in Germany right now, there's a throwback about their level of execution that is so refreshing to watch.

21. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

It was a boring meet other than the Mikulak/Hambuechen bromance. Sambien????

22. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

What bromance? :watch:

23. FiveRinger

Apparently Hambucechen came to the US ahead of the start of the American Cup and trained at the University of Michigan. Sam and he are now good friends. Hambuechen is even talking about taking a semester's worth of classes there some time in the future.

24. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Just watching American Cup and have to say, good going Greensboro, what a great crowd turnout.

25. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Blah event, IMO. Then again I was laying in bed half asleep when I watched the recording. I was hoping Al Trautwig would be too gassed from the Olympics to commentate, but I was sorely disappointed. I loved how they kept talking about this Dowell vs. Steingruber showdown for 2nd place the entire meet and they eventually only showed Steingruber's FX routine. Failboat, NBC. Then again, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Sam is looking good, but that's to be expected since it's the middle of the NCAA season. Always good to see Orozco, but I just don't know if we are ever going to see him at the form he was in at 2012 Nationals & Trials.

Had to laugh at Tim's dig at Leyva in saying that Sam isn't the type of gymnast to bury his head in a towel for hours on end before a routine. :lol:

I so much prefer Price's gymnastics to Biles, and I hope that she has a super awesome season. Dowell still has yet to impress me that much. Her UB routine was good, though.

26. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

I'm the opposite. Biles over Price any day of the week. Price is good but I can't be on board with her, not with that beam and that floor.

Tim's dig at Leyva was kind of mean but I laughed. Oh well.

Seriously, the best part of the meet was Sam and Fabi. They were adorable together.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

Does Price still raise her arms and stand on two feet on the beam for what seems like hours in-between elements?

28. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

The Nastia Liukin cup was also in GSO last weekend. Showing off junior gymnasts. McKenna Kelly, Mary Lou Retton's daughter tied for first place but lost on a tie break. They interviewed them together and McKenna is about 4-6 inches taller than her mom. She does good gymnastics. Will be interested in her development

29. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

30. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Biles would beat Price anyday in a head to head competition. The only event Price can score higher if both hit is bars.