Gymnastics News #13

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by floskate, Sep 28, 2013.

1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i hope their gymnastics federation is better at filing paperwork on time than their skating federation

4. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

All the paper works are done for competing for Azeris, in fact Anna has already competed for Azerbeijan at Voronin cup.

5. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

It's too bad she hadn't done this sooner. :shuffle: She's still doing that same routine she had back in 2004.. A routine that could've easily challenged for the world balance beam title this year. ;) I mean who thought Mustafina would be world BB champ, I bet Azerbeijan Anna could've medaled. Didn't Russia only end up competing 3? :rofl: She has been their doormat for far too long!

6. Domshabfan

Some of Pavlova's fan actually romanticise her routine too much, Pavlova is in no position even to make beam final, she will need to upgrade. Let alone score high for her routine ...

danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Karpenko

That's true but acrobatically I'm sure she could get a competitive routine together if she knew she had the chance to get any assignment. I think she just does a routine that shows off her beauty and didn't care as much about putting anything back in risky (she knew she wasn't going any further than Russian nats since 2009 now, her routine has had less difficulty every year), I'd imagine with the citizenship change she means business and will give it one last final push to 2016. The combinations she used to do would be more connection friendly now with the newer rule changes. A front ariel-side somi could even count as her acro series. :shuffle: Then throw in the onodi-half pirouette I'm sure she could still do. :swoon: I'd love to see her in beam finals as soon as next year, she's one of the most polished gymnast in the world on this event still IMO and considering the scoring at the worlds this year I think she could do it.

I'd also love to see another gymnast do the Teza, I'm surprised (well not surprised because its insane) we haven't seen another gymnast do one in competition by now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Sorry what's an Onodi 1/2 pirouette? Do you mean the Yezhova with immediate 1/2 turn (which isn't worth anything more than doing it to a handstand, which is what she's currently doing I believe).

I have to take issue with the quote I bolded above. The aerial walkover to side somi a) has always fulfilled the requirement of an acro series on beam and b) is actually worth less in CV than when Pavlova previously competed internationally. And I can't think of anything in her former beam routines that is now worth more in connection value, as the flic 3/4 to flic layout that she used to do was formerly worth 0.2 in CV but now caps at 0.1 in SB (Series Bonus).

I agree 100% with Domshabfan.

9. Karpenko

:rolleyes: I always love your condescending chime in's danafan! +1 for technique, I anxiously await the next time you put me in my place. ;)

Obviously it wasnt her counting acro series before, she had the Kotchetkova-pause-ff-layout, that was a mild snark alluding to the fact that our current world BB champ only has a front Ariel-ff as her acro series in her world championship winning beam routine. Obviously Anna is capable of more than that. But thank you as always.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Pavs COULD make a major beam final if she added back in her switch ring. The way beam goes, a steady routine with just enough difficulty is usually good enough to get one or two people in. She would need something else for finals if she wanted a shot at a medal but she could get there.

For the record, Pavlova got a 13.7 at the recent meet (her first for AZB) and that score would have qualified her to beam finals at the most recent Europeans. I know it isn't Worlds or Olympics but if she can still do that then she is certainly capable of upgrading enough to compete with the rest of the World. Her AA score would have qualified her in 10th at Europeans and 22nd at Worlds. I know we can't directly compare scores but we also have to take into account that she was clearly not in top shape at this meet.

I have faith she can still contend.

11. Domshabfan

The rule was made before current word BB champ did the Ariel-ff as acro series, the rule wasn't changed for her, she used it for her advantage. The gold medal in beam is not given for the most difficult acro series, you are complaining since you had to snark at Mustafina so you are going on about it. As for Anna is more than capable of doing a difficult acro series, so is Mustafina, are you suggesting this is the only acro series Mustafina has done so far in career? and secondly is Anna capable of doing a difficulty routine with ease and score well at this age… I strongly think she can't add difficulty and continue to execute the routine.

For your record : Mustafina's latest beam routine from Stuggart world cup : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUiksST5EE

12. Karpenko

The two front ariel's in combination and the FF-back tuck she used to do are groundbreaking. :p I like Mustafina's overall routine but having a great acro series, that's always been the obvious weakness in her routine IMO. Other than that I think she's beautiful and very clean and poised. I'd prefer her routine to say Gogean 97. (I also feel this way about Fan Ye 2003, though clean and beautiful)

I was trying to point out she's done plenty of skills in the past and in her repitoire to probably put a way more competitive routine together. She knew she never really had a chance to begin with (she had to have), why push herself? I'm shocked she's still at it and made the change TBH, she must really want to go to Worlds again. I hope she does well regardless and enjoys it. I could see the Kochetkova (of 3/4 flic as gymnastics hall-monitors like to call it) maybe going before the Omelianchik or FF-LO, then the switch ring BigB mentioned.. Ponor put a routine together with a similar array of skills and was in contention to win 2 Olympics later, it's not impossible (though Ponor had just a bit more in her repitoire, Anna still has plenty). I'd love to see her back in the mix one more time, I feel she never really got her due and Beijing esp must have been just awful for her (3 event finals! TF meltdown, hits in AA where she was never going to medal in that field :wall:).

13. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Why is everyone presuming that Pavlova aims to be competing for medals?
    I suspect that competing for Azerbidjan is a way of earning a living doing what she loves, nothing more, nothing less.

14. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

There's a perception floating around that Pavlova was prematurely dismissed from the Russian team, that she was overlooked for major teams last quad, and that by competing for Azerbaijan she's going to out perform her former Russian team members and embarrass the Russian federation.

I don't share this view. If Pavlova were currently capable of challenging for wod and Olympic medals, she wouldn't have been dismissed from the Russian team. Her level has declined every year.

I laughed when I read an article on the gymnastics examiner that Pavlova was currently one of the best vaulters and beam workers in the world. Um no, if that were the case Russia would continue to send her to international meets.

Her fans should simply be happy they can watch her compete in major competitions again without placing unrealistic expectations on her.

All my opinion, I have no idea what her personal goals are at this stage.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

There was a legit reason Pavlova was no longer a mainstay on the Russian team but she was also harshly treated at times. One year she was 2nd at Nationals in the AA and still wasnt even named to the Senior A team, and last year they could have sent her to Worlds rather than just sending 3 women due to all the injuries which was a huge waste.

16. Domshabfan

All of the athletes competing for Azeri's, Konstantin Pluzhnikov has the best chance of winning a medal. A very smart decision from his side, now he can concentrate more on Rings… I think he will score well enough of parallel bar (possibly pommel horse as well) to qualify for the next olympics.

17. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

Pavlova was robbed of the beam silver or gold at both the 2008 and 2004 Olympics. She was also robbed of the AA silver or gold at the 2004 Olympics. Good to see her back to win alot more gold and silver medals for her new country.

18. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

o.o Pavlova may have a case for AA bronze or even silver in 2004 and a bronze on beam in 2008. But I think the three beam medalists in 2004 were well above Pavlova.

19. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

The bronze medal girl in 2004 on beam did a good routine but took a huge step on her dismount which was a bigger mistake than Anna's one small wobble. I also thought Anna had the hardest routine of the whole final.

In 2008 she had a more difficult routine than Nastia and a better executed one than Cheng Fei.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. BigB08822

Nastia won the silver based on her execution, for sure, not her difficulty. Cheng Fei was gifted the bronze, IMO. She was a sentimental favorite who really was not having a good meet and had lost her gold on vault, which was thought to be a lock (seems to be a pattern, eh?). Her FX during the meet was also lackluster and it appeared clear she wasn't going to win that, either.

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Floor had already happened at the time of beam finals which was the last womens final, and Fei had already fallen and not medalled there. I disagree her floor was lackluster through the Games though, and that it was clear she wasnt going to win there. She had the highest score of anyone in qualifications, and the 2nd highest in team finals barely behind Izbasa. She had the highest floor score of the Games at 15.75.

22. BigB08822

Thanks, my memory is not what it used to be. lol

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

24. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

25. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I noticed yesterday that the FIG has a new website but I can't understand from their announcement if this is the final layout or not... I hope not because they have ridded of the gymnasts profiles and the events calendar is also a bit pedestrian. Does anyone have any inside info on this? I'll be covering more gymnastics this year and whatever they plan to do influences the direction that I give my own site, I don't like to repeat content mindlessly... TY.

26. Karpenko

Here are some newish vids of Sarah Finnegan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3adGD2_27E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9iRw2xd-gw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdMETMCqjlE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie52-IZHqeE

I'm excited to have a team worlds with 6 gymnasts this year, I really hope it's a great season. I feel rather dismal about this years prospects outside of the US. Really hoping for a huge return from Komova, I would love to see her finally win the World AA title. She needs to maximize UB/BB to compete with Simone if she doesn't get the Amanar back. Also feeling rather optimistic about Iordache and Bulimar this year, I think if they ever do have a breakout year this will be it.

27. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

That is the problem with a sport where just one country starts to dominate - it becomes boring and goes into decline. I can see the United States dominating for a long time to come. The problem is that Romania simply have no money to invest in the sport and they are likely in the not too distant future to fall behind Great Britain in the European rankings. As for Russia, they are finally starting to invest after 2 decades of decline, but it will take them years to get back to where they once were. Moreover, until they get rid of the Rodionenko's, they are not going to move forward (as Alexandrov points out in this article and this article). At present, there is very little new talent coming through. The only thing that is going to change things anytime soon is if Russia wins the right to host the 2024 Olympics (Saint Petersburg or Kazan are likely to bid). If that happens, then I can see something similar happening to what has happened in figure skating - huge investment and a lot of new talent coming through. The Rodionenko's would also finally be removed in all likelihood.

The other problem with gymnastics is the Code, which has removed most of the artistry from the sport. It has produced boring gymnastics that people simply do not want to watch. Hence the decline in TV interest and attendances (in Europe, less so in the United States due to its dominance). There have also been a number of questions raised about the judging. The Code and the judging require an overhaul. The sport needs to get its act together.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard anything about komova! I thought she retired last year.

I am hoping mustafina can get better. Doesn't seem like she's stopping.

29. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Apparently Komova recently broke a small bone in her foot. Nothing major but I feel like it's going to be all these small things that add up to her never achieving much.

30. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I can guarantee that they'd get fans back and gain some more if they brought back 10.0 (with some revisions). But we all know that's not going to happen. :rolleyes: They also need to go back to a 6-5-4 team format and get more emphasis on the well-balanced gymnasts who are solid in all areas of the gym. Ahhhh, the glory days of gymnastics. I miss them.