Gwyneth Paltrow's Spring Wardrobe Recommendations...Only $450K

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

People's Editor was on Good Morning America today and mentioned that he knew Paltrow had her detractors and that being controversial was a good thing for the magazine. Sounded almost like she was picked as much for the people who don't like her as for the ones who do.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yeah, people might talk about the choice, but PEOPLE is a commercial venture that has to sell copies. And the editor of PEOPLE thinks that putting someone who's disliked on the cover is going to make that issue sell? That's kind of weird (if not wrong) logic.

3. moojja

moojja Active Member

I don't know enough about Gwenyth Paltrow personality to comment. But I've seen her in Shakespeare in Love and Sliding Door, and she is beautiful. Her looks is very patrician type of beauty, but I would never call her homely. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I actually thinks she is prettier than Jessica Biel, but not as pretty as Cate Blanchett.

4. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I don't think she is homely. I think she is pretty, but far from beautiful. But, the prettiness goes away when she opens her mouth.

5. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

My god, that picture of Zoey Deschanel is shocking. I think I might need therapy.

6. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I do NOT get the love for Gwyneth's looks either. She is a fairly attractive woman, but I would not stop if I saw her and think, wow, she's the world's most beautiful woman!! I would nto even list her in a top 10 in Hollywood.

I'm thinking that as she gets a lot of publicity over how unpopular she is, then the magazine thought they'd get lots of publicity/money, giving her the title.

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking too. :rofl:

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Gwyneth has quite a few well placed friends in high places.

9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't understand why she gets so much attention. I think I saw her in a movie once, she was OK, but I didn't like the movie (Emma). As far as looks her hair is her best feature, without it she is pretty plain, makeup doesn't transform her the way it does some women. As far as personality, I saw her once on a day-time TV show promoting a cook book and she seemed personable - I think the press deliberately quotes her out of context in print to make her sound snooty. Her tastes and her lifestyle are not mine, but I don't find them offensive. So what if she named her kid Apple and likes to shop in Paris? She seems like a run-of-the-mill celebrity to me.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Orbitz, I thought you were linking to this. :)

11. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

That dress is hideous!

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:scream: Does her stylist secretly openly hate her?

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

dowdy style and unflattering color aside, when she was publicizing her book, i thought it looked very unhealthy. and i've already said i think her skin looks old for 40. for someone who keeps telling other people how to eat, she's doing something wrong.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

People keep going on about how great her body is but I think that just hows that our society equates all sorts of good things with being thin. Because she doesn't seem particularly healthy to me.

15. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Her physique looks frail. She has some really good ideas about nutrition, but she also looks like she deprives herself as well.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't think her body is great either. When I think of a great female body in Hollywood, I think of Jessica Biel who is a big gym rat as I've heard.

Or in skating, Ashley Wagner. That girl is IN SHAPE!

17. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

She has gorgeous legs and carries herself well. Her smile is lovely and her hair is beautiful but frankly, anyone who can afford excellent stylists can have good hair unless there's something really wrong with them. Personally I think of her as the archtypical shiksa goddess per Phillip Roth, which is hilarious since her dad is Jewish, and she's somewhat boring to look at albeit pretty.

The one thing I will give her is that her singing voice is many notches better than i thought it would be, on Glee. ;)

18. Anita18

Gwyneth's body reminds me of my mother's. Which isn't good because my mom was diagnosed with full-blown osteoporosis in her early 50s. :shuffle: Being so thin and eschewing strength training really isn't so great....

LOVE muscles on women! :cheer: Jessica Biel can GET IT! She even has visible back muscles and I was like, "YOU GO GIRL!"

Actually, most skaters do, by virtue of the sport, but it's rare to see a female celebrity with visible back muscles. :p I was so proud of myself when I could finally see mine, thanks to weightlifting.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, weight lifting is the best in terms of efficiently changing your body AND the only known way to keep your bone density up (calcium supplements don't work and are harmful). Jessica Biel inspires me.

She is a lot more interesting to look at than Gwyneth IMO. Off to lift some weights! I want that back!

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic, IceAlisa - that'll keep me inspired for lifting some weights!

As for Gwyneth, I can't stand her. She must have a great publicist :p

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

stephen huvane reps both gwyneth and jennifer aniston and he's a magician. it's funny because i always thought they were 2 sides of the same coin and would be folding long and leans at the gap w/o nepotism to lean on.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Anita18

They are? I've been taking calcium supplements for a while, and had Alf on them when he broke his wrist in two places - he had his cast off in only 5 weeks so I figured it must have been helping. :p

My body hasn't really changed (you'd have to overhaul your diet too), but the weightlifting definitely makes your body denser! My thighs don't squash as easily. :) And my head looks a little less ridiculously huge because my shoulders have a smidge more mass on them. Also, my waist looks smaller because I have muscles on my hips now.

I haven't gone to the gym in three weeks. :( It's going to be sad seeing how much less weight I can lift from last time.

I don't think Jessica uses the power rack like I do. She probably builds up muscle much more easily doing calisthenics. I have to work for what I got! :lol: I still don't look like I should be able to lift what I'm able to. :rofl:

23. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Thanks, IA. Now I don't have to feel guilty for not taking calcium, it screws up my stomach something awful. But I think I need some help learning strength training, my half-hearted efforts a few times a week on the Nautilus are probably not enough.

I also think the more muscled women are sexier than the bony girls like Gwynnie...I wanted Navka's body when she was skating.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am sure we've discussed calcium supplements here at some point. Would you like to read the relevant study? It was a big one and IIRC made it to the NYT.

As to strength training, it may be worth it to get a few lessons first just so that you have good form and are not hurting yourself.

25. Anita18

YouTube! :cheer: I'm mostly doing squats and deadlifts on the power rack (I've only seen one other woman using it, so it's definitely a man's realm), and Crossfit coaches have exceedingly helpful tutorials on those. They put as much time and effort analyzing weightlifting form as we do skating routines. :p

But it's likely you aren't thinking of going all in like I have. :lol: YouTube is definitely helpful for whatever you want to do, anyway.

Also, I usually lift weights only once or twice a week. I have no idea how people can go full out every day, goddamn my tiny muscles need a rest!

26. Anita18

Was it this article? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/thinking-twice-about-calcium-supplements-2/

I'll probably still keep taking it. Absolutely no history of heart disease in my family, but osteoporosis is pretty much guaranteed. I'm not going to go down like my grandmother did. I want to be able to lift 200 lbs by my 30th birthday. Damn this probably means I need to get my ass to the gym more often. :lol:

It might be already too late for my mother, although I'm trying to talk her into doing something like yoga to improve her balance. Osteoporosis isn't usually dangerous by itself...until you take a spill!

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It may have been. The study it mentions says:

So why keep taking it? Seems like there are risks and no benefits. Talk to your doctor about it though. And yes, keep lifting weights to avoid osteoporosis.

28. Anita18

Because I have become obsessed lately with building up my bone density before I start losing it at 30. Hence the lifting-200lbs-by-30 goal. :p My cousin's in med school and he thinks there's absolutely nothing I can do to prevent it, because of my genetics. Which makes me :mad: and makes me want to go on the heavy weights more. :lol: I guess we'll just see when I'm my mother's age...

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If she wasn't famous already, I doubt she would be asked to do anything involving singing. Her voice is pleasant but it certainly isn't professional singer quality.

(And I don't care if she had a hit song with Huey Lewis. That record should have been credited as a duet by Huey Lewis and AutoTune.)

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Then you are better off getting your Ca++ from your diet and lifting weights. Again, talk to your doctor.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1428.short