Gwyneth Paltrow's Spring Wardrobe Recommendations...Only $450K

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Mar 23, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

She did a decent one in "Possession" (good flick, also has Jeremy Northam, Jennifer Ehle, and Aaron Eckhart.) Good enough that while it was a teensy bit stilted, it didn't stick out (and that worked for the character. I don't think that was intentional as she sounds the same in other movies with an English accent, but it worked.)

And I've found the reverse--a lot of American actors can learn to do at least a functional RP English accent, there's often something not quite right about an English actor trying to sound American-something about the vowel switching seems to be harder. Hugh Laurie was notable because he was VERY good (I can hear a LITTLE bit that the accent isn't quite...something...but that's because I've seen him in A LOT of other things and know to listen for it.) And Scottish actors, well...some have trouble sounding ENGLISH, let alone American. Watch "Rome" and listen to Kevin McKidd every time Vorenus has to be angry-accent runs North to the border. Apparently it was an issue for David Tennant on "Doctor Who", too--he made the mistake of complaining to the writers about "oo" sounds, which are apparently REALLY hard to fix for someone with a Scottish accent. Next script, they gave him the line "Judoon platoon upon the moon." I wouldn't have blamed him from whacking whoever wrote that over the head with the script.

2. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Lots of people write various books on all sort of subjects - especially parenting books are a funny thing. Many, many, many people are parents, and a lot of those books are basically written by parents (some by child psychologists, or pediatricians or people with degrees in child development/education, but still a lot by parents). What make them a more qualified parent than me?

hmm, maybe I should write a parenting book :p

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Right. The whole self-help, nutrition, etc. section at a book store is full of lay people giving advice based on their own personal experiences rather than from formal training. Many of them bestsellers.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The worst US accent I have heard from a UK actor/actress had to have been Emma Samms when she took over the role of Fallon in Dynasty. I love Emma, but she was so miscast that it wasn't even funny.

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

:rolleyes: Some people have never heard of Gwyneth Paltrow either. That's beside the point.

But that's my point. They were the average joe. And people started listening to them because they had something to say and people liked what they had to say or their voice or whatever. Now they are celebrities and they have just as much influence through their blogs as someone who started the other way around.

It's tiered. Rather like being an actor actually. There are a ton who start a blog and don't even last more than a few months and no one reads it but their friends and family. Most bloggers are like that and most blogs don't even make it a year.

Then there are bloggers who are reasonably well-known in their small circle influence and have more readers they have never met than readers they have. People write to them for advice and do listen to them and are inspired by them. When they go to events within their sphere of influence, people who they never met go up to them to tell them how much their blog/advice means to them.

There are also bloggers who are very well known to the point that everyone in a particular online community pretty much knows them and they even get haters. They have quite a sphere of influence to the point where they have sponsors and advertisers and even make money from their blogs. Not a lot. But enough to buy the groceries. They would find the idea that they wield very little influence to be rather amusing. They wield a ton. It's just not a General Audience kind of influence.

The number of true celebrity bloggers is tiny, of course, just like the number of actors who make millions per film is small. But there are some and they definitely wield influence by anyone's definition.

Anyway, you claimed that it's different because "they don't have the visibility to have hoards of people hanging on their every word." But in fact, once you reach the tiers where you have sponsors and advertisers, you do have hoards of people hanging on your every word. So, it's not different. Not in that way.

The only difference I see is that for people like Gwyneth, the fame drives the blog, while for people who became famous from their blogs, the blog drives the fame. So Gwyneth will be famous even if she stopped blogging but all those other people will not. There are other differences too but those come because Gwyneth is an actress. If Goop were run by Stephanie Meyers or someone else not famous for their face, those differences would go away.

6. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Really? She's playing a rich daddy's girl who is always trying to give advice. I'd say she was perfect :p

7. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

goop is definitely a thing.

She wanted a word that included her initials and didn't really mean anything.

Er......

Many of them are also crap.

I will say this for Gwyneth--she says that she has a tremendous work ethic, and I believe it. She comes across to me as someone who works hard all the time, and not necessarily in a healthy way.

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Is there such a thing!? Just the thought seems like enuf to cause a hurl or two. ;)

Yep, I remember Emma too in which Gwyneth was quite good, especially her English accent. She was also very good in a small early role in the Meg Ryan, Dennis Quaid indie flick, Flesh and Bone. I seem to recall Gwyneth won award nominations for her performance in that film. Of course, GP was also fairly good with Brad, Morgan and Kevin Spacey in Se7en. Ending was way too eerie and barf-worthy (actually even the opening credits and the entire movie). Bounce with Ben did not ... so forgettable. SIL okay, but I just got the feeling of Gwynnie being sooo "Look at me, aren't I acting up a storm in this wonderful movie?" I enjoyed Ralph's brother Joseph more.

The whole Oscar anointing for her role in SIL was all about a throw-back to Days of Grace Kelly. Gwyneth looked awful in her pink Oscar dress and wanna-be Grace hairstyle. She could have looked much better just staying true to herself. The worst is that Gwyneth's acting career was a bit all downhill from there. IOW, she seemed to coast instead of challenging herself. But she's won her Oscar and she's happy, married with children, etc. She did have her share of rough times losing her Dad to cancer, and her life behind-the-scenes is surely not always the bed of roses that it seems. GP suffered post-partum depression after the birth of her son. She has spoken about how her break-up with Pitt and her Dad's death really changed her. Although, she seems kinda too sorry for herself re the quote: "I sort of feel like one of those people who was unfortunate and lost their father when they were 30, and life goes on. But he was so unique and so incredible." Some people unfortunately lose their fathers during childhood or teenage years, or in fact even before birth, so Gwyneth should feel lucky and thankful for what she had and still has re what she shared with her father well into adulthood.

Gwyneth's imdb profile notes that in October 1998 she was voted "Most Stuck-Up" by Movieline's "100 Most." :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I finally figured out who she reminds me of - Shelley Long's Diane Chambers character on "Cheers", without the wistfulness with which Ms. Long leavened Diane's insufferable haughtiness and pretentiousness.

snoopy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Again, not her biggest fan or her fan at all (though more people should see "Possession", it was awesome), think the whole lifestyle-advice stuff is silly, but I think I'd cut her some slack on feeling sorry for herself that she lost her father. She LOST her FATHER. Doesn't matter if she's thirty or thirteen, it sucks and she (and anyone else) is entitled to some feeling sorry even if it comes across as faintly self-pitying. (I'm not a big fan of the "Your grandma/dog/BFF from kindergarten died and you're sad? My God, don't you know they're circumcising women in Africa, starving children in Haiti, and stoning gays in Iran? You're LUCKY!" kind of thing.)

11. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Um, I wouldn't say that she is lucky because she isn't in Africa or whatever. But her dad died in 2003. There does come a point where people start wondering how long they are supposed to feel sorry for you and cut you some slack because you feel sorry for yourself.

And yes, I DO know what it's like, as I lost my father when I was just a little younger than she was, and my mother not too many years later.

She's also suffered from postpartum depression, something else I wouldn't wish on anyone, and I think it's kind of clear that she has some other emotional issues as well.

And I think that while she was born lucky, she's worked to make the most of that luck and done pretty well for herself on her own merits.

But she still comes across as being totally up her own ass.

12. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree, but I did find the eyeroll convincing! :lol:

O-

13. MacMadame

True. Also, true of many of the books written by so-called experts! ;)

I just realized that I did something that happens to me a lot online. I get sucked into responding to a piece of someone else's argument that strikes me in some way without stepping back and looking at the big picture. When I do that, I realized I don't actually agree with the whole basic premise.

In this case, I don't actually agree that Gwyneth Paltrow has "hoards" of people "hanging on her every word." :lol: I do think some famous people do. I do think some people hang on Brad Pitt's every word and are influenced by which political candidates he supports. Same with Charleston Heston on the conservative side. There are people who eagerly look forward to what outfit Lady Gaga will come up with next and at one point little girls everywhere (and big ones too) were copying Madonna.

But Gwyneth? I'm sure she has her followers. But remember she started Goop herself. I've never actually seen an article about anything on that site that wasn't making fun of it. The designers send her stuff for this annual article because it gets a lot of publicity. Yes, it's negative publicity. But it's still attention and each one is probably sure that their outfit is the one we'll say "most of them suck but I love ______" about. Like Beckham's dress that so many of us liked.

But, for the most part, I don't think tons of people are lining up to buy Gwyneth's stuff. Does anyone know how many copies her first cookbook actually sold and how that compares to a typical celebrity cookbook?

14. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I've no idea who Charleston Heston is (is he a Dancing Fool? ;) ), but Charlton Heston has been dead for about five years so I'd be very concerned about anyone hanging on to his every word still. :shuffle:

15. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

That's true actually. But since my Dad passed away at age 45 when I was eighteen, I kinda envy that she had her Dad as long as she did. She got to know her father during her adulthood. It's an even huger inexpressible loss not to have had that. But of course it isn't cool to envy and to make comparisons. It hurts and its devastating to lose someone you are close to and who means the world to you, at any age.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't know about sales figures, but the first book was translated into several other languages and she has a second book coming out now, so it must have done well enough. She has a decent enough following on social media - not huge, but looks like enough to sustain the lifestyle brand she's trying to build.

As for bloggers, as you said earlier they can be very influential - more and more companies are finding that social media reaches a lot more people and lot more directly than traditional forms of publicity (like getting your product in a magazine), and they want to tap into the bloggers that have a following on their own or are connected to other groups through Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest etc. Even bloggers who have few followers can be useful if they have the right followers (and Gwyneth's are probably considered a pretty attractive demographic by certain brands), and if they are good at marketing themselves.

17. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Replace Charlton Heston with Clint Eastwood ;)

18. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Love the red leather jacket, but it's $1995.00! Paltrow is a pretentious twit. I think her mother is charming. How did Princess Twit, become so obnoxious?

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Really, people didn't think Gwyneth was a good Emma? I thought she was. And she was good in Possession too. And Shallow Hal. She is a good actress. I just wish she'd stop with the nutrition advice already. She can't even feed herself properly without becoming malnourished.

20. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think she is stiff. But, I find it hard to appreciate an actor's ability, when I can't stand them as a person.

21. MacMadame

Oh, yeah, that's who I meant.

(What can I say... old those crusty old conservative actor guys kind of blend together for me. Heck, some of the young buck liberal actor guys do too. ;)

Because she was raised like a Princess? Just a thought.

That's my impression. She's got a following but nothing huge.

22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Hmmm...Wouldn't her initials be GKPM? Did she change her name to Gynneth Ophelia Oma...? Paltrow or something?

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Gwyneth Ostentatiously Obnoxious Paltrow?

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh I am good at that. Two words: Sean Penn.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh, he is so humorless and a bit of a rage-a-holic. And clearly, his liberalism didn't rub off on his son, but his hair-trigger temper did when he was recently heard and seen shouting the N-and-F words to a photographer.

Guess he left his son something :rolleyes:.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Sean Penn is certainly mentally disturbed in many aspects. I didn't realize this before, but apparently he was physically abusive towards Madonna when they were married. I thought he mellowed out when he was married to Robin Wright, but it seems like she had to escape too.

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I read where he beat up on Robin as well. Dude has anger issues. Serious ones.

28. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

29. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

She should include a recipe for TwitTwat bars, the candy for pretentious people.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!