Gwyneth Paltrow's Spring Wardrobe Recommendations...Only $450K

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Is that the red one? I wish I looked good in stuff like that. I like that look.

MacMadame doesn't feel threatened by Gwyneth. Gwyneth feels threatened by MacMadame. ;)

I have liked her in what I've seen (Ironman, SIL and Shallow Hal) but I like who I like based on what they do, not on who hates them. Plus I don't hate Gwynie. I just think she's fun to mock.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

3. MacMadame

Btw, Goop is Gwyneth's own site. A couple of posts here have talked about it as if it's some other site that hired her to put that column together. (I think one of mine might imply that though I wasn't thinking of it that way since I know Goop is her site-I was just writing unclearly. :lol:)

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

As insufferable as she can be due to her...distance from us common-folk, I don't really know if she's really out-of-touch with reality. Her reality is just totally different from ours and we can't relate. It's not just about her being an actress or even a celebrity, but just the way she has been brought up and what she was exposed to.

Anyway, I actually find her to be incredibly underrated as an actress actually despite her Oscar because her Oscar receives so much hate to this very day. IMO, her win is far from a robbery because I found her performance was excellent even if not up to the standard of Blanchett or Montenegro (I disagree about Blanchett because her performance wasn't as good as the myth of her "robbery" makes it out to be and Elizabeth was such a bad movie especially compared to other Elizabeth biopics out there much less to the well-written and acted Shakespeare in Love). IMO, if we're going to call Paltrow's great performance winning over Blanchett a robbery, then I'm going to say that Blanchett robbed Virginia Madsen, Laura Linney, and yes Natalie Portman when she won her Oscar for her middling Katharine Hepburn portrayal. BTW, I actually like Blanchett and thought her performance in Notes on a Scandal was just as Oscar-worthy, if not more so, than Jennifer Hudson's for Dreamgirls.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

From the article linked above:

:rofl:

6. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

This whole thread just cracked me up! :lol: Considering what Gwyneth wears and eats (and still manages to have panic attacks, Vitamin D deficiency and anemia!), I think I'll stick to my own rhythm, thankyouverymuch.

I just can't take Gwyneth seriously. She's not only out of touch with us peasants (I guess I should speak for myself here), she seems woefully out of touch with herself!

O-

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She does make one laugh with her bon mots.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  8. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I got 99 problems but Gwynnie ain't one... :shuffle:

9. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I almost posted this same thing :rofl:

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  10. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Wait, Goop is a thing? I just thought it was a nickname internet people came up with.

The only things I really know about her are that she was annoying in that movie where she had an English accent, Good as the big girl in Shallow Hal (annoying as the skinny version), she has a kid named Apple, she's married to someone in a post '90's band, and has questionable taste in girlfriends. (Courtney Love)

The clothes are ugly and frumpish. (Except the Victoria Beckham dress) Had I the funds, Goop would be on the bottom of my list.

Didn't she do a movie where she did Karaoke and then recorded some country music in real life?

It's obvious that I am not as up to date on all things Goop as I should be.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  11. MacMadame

Yes. I didn't see that one. It looked bad. :D

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ooooh, you are such a rebel! :p

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Oh shut up :p I am not. I just seem to find that the more I defend someone around the internet when I think they're being unfairly criticized, the more I ended up finding things about them that I like. And I do like her as an actress.

There are certainly celebrities I don't like that are popular to pick on, eg., Sandra Lee.

15. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Do you mean Sliding Doors? I loved her in that film and she had hands down one of the best English accents i've heard an American do consistently in a film.

16. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I agree with antmanb. Her English accent was near perfect in Sliding Doors; only a tiny nuance here and there told me she was not born here.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am always shocked by actors' excellence in a foreign accent. For instance, for the longest time I didn't know Hugh Laurie wasn't an American. His American accent in House was perfect.

As to Gwyneth, I think she is a good actress, not the greatest but OK.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I will give her props for being able to to an English accent. A lot of US actor's can't or won't. Actors from UK or Australia have no problem at least attempting to do US accents.

Other than that, I don't care too much for her. But she seems pleased enough with herself that she could care less what others think of her.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I like her mother, Blythe Danner. She is older but I find her more attractive and a better actress.

20. VIETgrlTerifa

I heard some horrible American accents in a lot of UK television shows though.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That would be kind of fun to hear, I guess. I don't watch any UK shows other than Downton Abbey where all the actors are British AFAIK.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is definitely true! There are many British actors who can do excellent American accents when appearing in American tv shows or movies, but whenever someone tries to sound American on a UK tv show it never seems to work.

As for Gwyneth, I'm not interested in her lifestyle or advice of shopping, nutrition and cooking, fashion, parenting or anything else. But I did quite like her in Emma, one of my favourite movies.

23. OliviaPug

ITA re Emma. Gwyneth was really great in that movie. I liked her in SIL, The Perfect Murder, and Shallow Hal too.

But why do actors think they know more than the rest of us about virtually everything? It's such a bizarre social development -- where the average person looks to actors (actors!) for guidance ... What the heck do actors know? They are entertainers, and some are good enough that they can call themselves artists. They're just human beings who have a uniquely visible job and high profile. That's about it. If anything, their life and work experience is so divorced from anything that the average person experiences. I guess it amounts to idolization, which, by its definition, is blind.

O-

24. MacMadame

Maybe they aren't trying to actually sound American but what the average UK tv show audience thinks we sound like?

As for actors/actresses, I think I might look to them for fashion advice if they were ones who were known to dress fashionably since a lot of them need to know about fashion as part of selling themselves. Then maybe shopping assuming they started out doing their own but that starts to get iffy. Then when you get to cooking and nutrition, a lot of them learn a lot about it so they can look good for their roles but a lot them do horrible stuff to look right and aren't healthy at all so that would depend too. But parenting? Puleaze. What does being an actor have to do with parenting?!

P.S. Forgot about Emma. That was good too.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

How is it really different from all these bloggers or youtube personalities that decide to share their advice on life, fashion, health, parenting, pottery, knitting, etc. to the world?

26. OliviaPug

It's different because this is a relatively new development and they don't have the visibility to have hoards of people hanging on their every word.

Celebrities and so-called celebrities have a PR machine that drives their relevance. The average blogger does not. And, as a result, the average blogger does not wield the same level of influence.

O-

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm surprised she hasn't gotten an Oscar nod. I would have given her one for her role as Nick Nolte's wife The Prince of Tides, had she been given more to do. Kate Nelligan got one, and she was godawful in that.

Methinks Babs put her and Melinda Dillon's best work in that film on the cutting room floor :shuffle:.

I like the way you put this.

28. MacMadame

I'm not really sure it's all that different. The nice thing about the internet is that anyone who wants to can write about anything and you and I can decide if what they write is worth reading and listening to. That's also the bad thing about the internet. :shuffle:

But when you do that, you open yourself up to people saying "who the hell are you to be blogging about ____________" especially if you have no official credentials. You aren't immune to that if you are famous, either.

I pointed out reasons that someone might care what an actress had to say about fashion and even possibly nutrition. There are reasons someone might listen to me when it comes to fitness or nutrition. Neither of us has official credentials though and people will often respond to something I say with "oh really and where is your fancy-smancy degree. I'm going to listen to my doctor." Who has just told them something that he sort of remembers from the half day nutrition class he was taught in medical school 20 years ago and since been thoroughly debunked by science. But, whatever.

If people want to believe someone because of the initials they have their name, that's their prerogative. And if someone wants to believe Gwyneth knows something about nutrition because she's thin and needs to be good looking for her job, that's their prerogative too. And if people want to believe me because I've been right before and they know I read up on the subject, that is also their prerogative. None of those things are a guarantee that any of us is right this particular time, but at some point you can't research everything all the time and you have to pick whose advice you are going to follow about what things and what you are going to verify for yourself.

As for influence, there are bloggers who were nobody who are now immensely influential. The Deuce makes over a million dollars a year on her blog. Other bloggers have a more modest sphere and others use their blog to extend or reinforce the sphere they already have. Gwyneth falls into that category IMO. Her blog reinforces her brand; it didn't create it and her brand will live on if her blog goes away.

29. OliviaPug

These bloggers -- and there are very few who rise to this level of prominence -- have become pseudo-celebrities (though I have never heard of The Deuce, for instance -- I guess that makes me irrelevant ...). They are hardly the average Joe. It's just like any reality "star." They gain notoriety and people suddenly look and listen -- maybe only for a time while they are visible (e.g., Kate Gosselin). The average blogger gets very little attention and, therefore, wields very little influence. Of course we can all choose to listen to anyone we want, including ourselves. But that doesn't change the fact that celebrities have more visibility than the average individual, professional, and/or blogger, and more people will notice them and listen to them and follow their trends.

I just can't compare a blogger to a movie "star." Not the same at all in my book.

O-

30. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

No, it was Emma.

For all I know, her accent was perfect, but she is just one of those actors who irks me. I will say this, she played one hell of a head in a box in Seven, and all of it offscreen. :)