Gwyneth Paltrow: I Don't Let My Kids Watch English-Language TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Oh - I totally believe the part about the campaign. As you pointed out, it's well documented.

I just don't see her having sex with Harvey W. **off to bleach my brain!**

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

but harvey's wife, georgina, is 100 times better looking than gwyneth and has her own $, a fact i have never been able to process

3. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Exactly!

Yeah, they might see their mother acting in something and realize what a bad actress she is.

Completely agree.

Saw her interviewed after she did some cookbook, after traveling around with Mario Batali. You would have thought she was the first woman to ever cook. Beyond pretentious.

4. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

All this Gwenyth Paltrow hate is just so heart-warming! As much as I liked SIL, she did not deserve that Oscar, she was really the weakest perfomer of that crop. Cate Blanchett and Fernanda Montenegro out acted and outclassed her in every way possible.

Sadly, she's not even in the running for my worst Oscar Winner for BA. Julia Roberts, Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep( for Out of Africa, I like her in everything else, and think she should have won over my next mention especially) and Sandra Bullock actually make me spit up bile.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  5. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Meryl Streep didn't win the Best Actress Oscar in March 1986; Geraldine Page won for her performance in A Trip to Bountiful. Streep's two Best Actress wins were for Sophie's Choice and The Iron Lady, respectively. She won the award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Kramer vs. Kramer.

6. escaflowne9282

I stand corrected, and YAY (26 years later even though I only saw the movie 3 years ago :eek:)
    This means Gwenyth is back in my five worst!

Re: Meryl Streep, I loved her in Kramer vs.Kramer and Sophie's Choice. I thought she would have been a very worthy winner over either Gwenyth or Sandra, but I just could not stand OofA, and for some reason I thought she had won for that role.

Back to Gwenyth... yeah, she's a twit. I knew people like her back in the day, but most people grew out of that pretentious phase after their teens.

7. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Wow, I'd be pretty annoyed as a physician if I had to waste time with a translator when I speak to my own Mom in Spanish. Though it's true that doesn't guarantee not getting medical terms mixed up.

In any case, ITA she's pretentious but also agree with those saying TV is useful in teaching second languages. I wonder what Spanish stations would be available in London anyway? I imagine the major French networks are easy enough to get.

8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Georgina Chapman got her money through her Marchesa fashion line ... the dresses of which conveniently end up on the backs of Oscar-contending actresses in movies produced by Weinstein.

Hollywood goes round and round ...

9. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Gwyneth Paltrow is awful and her Oscar was undeserved, but she was really good in Two Lovers, with Joaquin Phoenix, and The Royal Tenenbaums. I think she's an actress who should only ever have played supporting roles. She's terrible as a lead.

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Yeah, I can't see her with him either :scream:

She doesn't need Weinstein to push her dresses on the red carpet. She is one of the best for couture evening wear. Marchesa is fabulous!

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

12. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

^^ Love it! She really is a silly twit.

13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think that Gwynnie is just messing with us, as though this is her idea of performance art or (more likely) some kind of marketing strategy to keep people talking about her. Surely nobody can be this ridiculous without making a conscious effort?

15. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:respec: I usually like just about anything Meryl Streep has done, but OOA damn near drove me bonkers. Ditto for The Bridges of Madison County (she was nominated but did not win)

Co-signed. Cate wuzrobbed bigtime that year.

I may be in the minority on this, but in the movie A Perfect Murder, I was rooting for Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen :EVILLE:.

sammyf and (deleted member) like this.
  16. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

The first time I watched it, I rooted for Paltrow. I didn't know what a witch she was, then. After, I rooted for Douglas and Mortenson. Figured Douglas would get off due to the mental cruelty of living with her.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  17. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Maybe he has a great personality.

And I think Gwyneth is completely right about plastic surgery so I don't get ragging on her for not wanting to get it but also not ruling it out. There are so many OTHER things you can rag on her about, why rag on something where she's being sensible and not pretentious?

18. bek

bek Guest

She's just this pretentious thing who has no idea how the other half lives. She's a kindred spirit with the Romneys.. IMO (The other side of the coin)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  19. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

She is far more pretentious than the Romneys.

20. escaflowne9282

I don't if I would have gone with Cate. I thought Fernanda Montenegro gave a wonderful performance for Central Station (so underrated and one of my favorite foreign films) and Emily Watson's Hillary and Jackie is such an underrated performance too . Meryl Streep was also her usual terrific self . That was such a tour de force year for BA . Yet, it went to the weakest actress and most mediocre performance of the bunch.

Gwenyth Paltrow was truly like the box of stale raisins in the bag of Halloween Candy.

21. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Add in a box of candy corn and a bruised apple, and that's about right.

I will say I enjoyed her in Shallow Hal when she was in the fat suit. Was that even her in the fat suit?

22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't think Gwyneth was the weakest out of the nominees the year she was won. That goes to Ms. Streep in that Lifetime movie. Her nomination should've went to Ally Sheedy (I know I know) for High Art.

23. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Was that the awful one where she played a violin teacher?

I don't really read much about Gwyneth Paltrow, but any film I've seen her in I've quite liked her. :slinkaway

24. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I like her in Hush, The Talented Mr, Ripley, Shallow Hal, Royal Tenenbuams and that is it.

25. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Me, too. She glowed all the way through SIL. Cate Blanchett was wonderful that year, too, but I have no problem with Paltrow's win.

26. genegri

genegri Active Member

Just caught The Talented Mr Ripley on TV and re-watched it and I found her a bit wooden as usual. I liked her in Shallow Hal. The character is supposed to be a little shy and awkward and she captured that, quite naturally. :lol:

But I don't have an issue with her letting kids watching French or Spanish TV only. Her kids will grow up in the US and they will easily learn English. Instilling as much French and Spanish now won't stop them from speaking perfect English.

27. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Don't they live in England? Either way, same result.

28. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I don't think anyone has an issue with her kids watching Spanish/French language TV. It's her holier than thou attitude. As if she is the only mother who gets it. And the way she has dissed the Americans in the past. Um, you're American Gwyneth, get over yourself.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's the one in which she played a cancer victim who had a strained relationship with her daughter played by Renee Zellweger. Yawn.

I've come to terms that I'm in the minority with Gwyneth Paltrow. I found her performance to be way better than Blanchet's OTT performance in Elizabeth. Weird because I prefer Blanchet as an actress. The Oscar would've went to Fernanda Montenegro for me.

30. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I can't give her a fair judgement as an actress, since she annoys me so much as a person. I don't think she's the worst actress who ever lived, but close. :D