Gwyneth Paltrow: I Don't Let My Kids Watch English-Language TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Fanned and faved. I just wonder if she thinks her *ssholishness is part of her appeal. NO, you fecked Brad Pitt and that's why people paid attention to you. I have NO CLUE how the Oscar happened, but it wasn't based on talent.

I personally have no problem with teaching children multiple languages, but that wasn't her point. She is such an *sshole.

And what career does she have? She's way past her prime, Madonna hates her, so what is her worth? That sham marriage?

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I just learned the other day that the Cartoon Network is the most global of all American companies and is in more countries than McDonalds, Coke or WalMart.

It made me think of a whole world of people watching Tom and Jerry :yikes:.

3. magicpixie

magicpixie New Member

me too. "I Love Lucy" also helped.

I saw an interview Gwyneth did in Spanish and her Spanish is pretty good. She sometimes makes gender mistakes but otherwise pretty impressive. I'm sure that's why she wants her children to learn Spanish.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I like Gwyneth. I think she's a good actress and I appreciate that she seems to love other cultures and languages even if she expresses her love in a pretentious way.

4. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Zoinks and jinkies needs no translation! ;)

When I was in France, we had the TV on, and we watched the Smurfs, dubbed in French. Bebe Smurf was an easy one to figure out :)

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My French coworker said he'd never heard of Mister Rogers and it made me so very :(

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

More like Scooby Doo, Cow and Chicken, and Johnny Bravo. At least when I lived in Europe and it was my only TV station in English. :)

7. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Twatwaffle.

la twatwaffle

une twatwaffle

:lol:

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Les twatwaffles?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No Tom and Jerry. And no "funny" bullshit that CN plays nowadays. Back then they played cool action stuff. Like Space Ghost.

Every day, I'd get back from school and watch Cartoon Network for like at least 4 hours. Which under normal circumstances wouldn't be the best way to spend time for a child but since it was all in a foreign language... :)

10. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

It's Hollywood nepotism -having Blythe Danner as a mother and her (now deceased) producer/director father Bruce Paltrow. Blythe Danner has more acting talent in her pinky finger than her snotty daughter has in her entire body. Shit, if my parents were as connected in Hollywood as hers, I could have won an Oscar with Gwyneth's "talent."

11. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Her kids are spared her astonishingly boring (IMO) acting career.

When I realized that her head was in the box in Seven, I yelled in the theater "Gynneth Paltrow's head is in the box! Hooray!" The whole theater cheered rather than shushed.

There may be plenty of crap on English language TV, but networks like Telemundo and Univision have plenty of unmitigated crap, too.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  12. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Spanish is useful for many reasons, but at our facility, they explicitly do not allow for health professionals to speak to patients in non-English languages. They insist that trained medical interpreters be used.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I [heart] you. You might also enjoy Contagion, in which I understand she is the first victim of the killer virus and dies a messy death within the first few minutes - which should make the rest of the movie far more watchable.

14. overedge

To quote Rex, "You know I don't gossip" :p but the word about town was that she had a her "close personal relationship" with Harvey Weinstein at the time - which is why she kept getting acting jobs in his movies - and he conducted a massive publicity and :bribe: campaign to get her the Oscar votes.

15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I feel like my English is much better because I used to watch tv shows like Friends, Ally McBeal, Buffy, Dawson's Creek etc in my tween/teen years so much. So I think there is some validity to that.

At the facility I work at, those that are hired in bilingual positions (doctors, nurses, techs, etc) do speak to patients in Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi and so on.

That said, Gwyneth is pretentious and insufferable.

16. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

So do I :D. But don't worry, French aren't in any way nicer to other foreigners or even to their compatriots. I'd take several buses of American tourists in my area over 4 French in a minivan...

Bébé Schtroumpf ! A French Smurf is a Schtroumpf. (Well, actually it's the other way round since the Schtroumpfs were created by Belgian comics author Peyo who was a French native speaker.)

France has no shortage of children TV series, don't worry.

There is, indeed. The French my son spoke was 60/70% learnt from watching TV when we spent time in France. In the same vein, when I was visiting Nordic countries regularly in the 80s and 90s, I had noticed that people, especially in Sweden in Denmark were speaking a much better English than their South Europe counterparts. I was told that it was partly because in countries like France, Spain and Italy, for instance, English and American movies and series were dubbed into the local language as opposed to only using undertitles (the other reason being they were starting English at school at a younger age). In France, there are a few channels where you can chose to watch movies/series in their original language, but not so many. It's a pity because it would really help. (And sometimes, some interesting and even key stuff is lost in the process). Add to that it can be really strange to hear actors talking in a voice you know are not theirs !

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. suep1963

Is that what they were saying? It was sort of hard to tell after a couple glasses of wine. And that episode seemed to be the "Baby Smurf in Peril" one. :lol:

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Well as long as you don't sound like Tweetie Pie I guess that is OK.

19. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think the author of the article had already made up his mind to portray her as pretentious. It's hard to tell what the statement was made in reference to since the interviewer's question/comment is missing. I've seen her on talk shows, she's not THAT humorless.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  20. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I have learned my English mostly from Brittish period dramas (The Palissers; Poldark; The Onedin Line; Upstairs, Downstairs; I, Claudius and more).
    Watching TV is not necessarily a bad thing for developing a language.
    I guess Paltrow's problem is that her statement sounded kinda snobbish...

21. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Nope, not Tweety Bird. Foghorn Leghorn. The Ziglet speaks English JUST like Foghorn Leghorn.

22. suep1963

I say....(that's a joke son)

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  23. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Did I ever say it wasn't?

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

LOL, I can't believe that only because she's too ... just, no.

A - I don't believe she'd ever work that hard at anything, and I've seen Harvey Weinstein.

B - it sounds exactly like the kind of rumor someone would make up about an actress like Gwynnie just to get some modicum of revenge.

Maybe I'm cynical, but it seems like with the loosening of morals, sleeping to the top just ain't what it used to be. What I mean is that compared to the '50s, it's really easy for any guy with enough means to pay for cover charge, a car and his own place to get laid whenever he wants. So an actress who wants to trade sexual favors for jobs would have to be offering something so far beyond the norm that it would really standout against what all the drunken "liberated" young ladies are willing to offer. I don't see her as offering that, in any way.

25. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

she is so full of herself...

I remember once reading here on FSU someone making a comment about her, how, had she not been daughter of famous and Hollywood influential parents, she would be working at GAP.

:D

26. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

You didn't, my bad :slinkaway

27. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Except she'd probably only be willing to work at Zara. :saint:

28. overedge

The campaign part is pretty well documented (e.g. see the third paragraph of this story):
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/11/defense-shameless-oscar-campaigns/45570/

The "close personal relationship" part - I guess it depends where you get your gossip from.....

29. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Well, the clothes are nicer in Zara.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

eys, i believe i said she'd be folding long and leans at the gap with jennifer aniston