Gwyneth Paltrow: I Don't Let My Kids Watch English-Language TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Sep 21, 2012.

1. leesaleesa

leesaleesa New Member

Her kids are spared her astonishingly boring (IMO) acting career.

When I realized that her head was in the box in Seven, I yelled in the theater "Gynneth Paltrow's head is in the box! Hooray!" The whole theater cheered rather than shushed.

There may be plenty of crap on English language TV, but networks like Telemundo and Univision have plenty of unmitigated crap, too.
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  2. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Spanish is useful for many reasons, but at our facility, they explicitly do not allow for health professionals to speak to patients in non-English languages. They insist that trained medical interpreters be used.
  3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I [heart] you. You might also enjoy Contagion, in which I understand she is the first victim of the killer virus and dies a messy death within the first few minutes - which should make the rest of the movie far more watchable.
  4. overedge

To quote Rex, "You know I don't gossip" :p but the word about town was that she had a her "close personal relationship" with Harvey Weinstein at the time - which is why she kept getting acting jobs in his movies - and he conducted a massive publicity and :bribe: campaign to get her the Oscar votes.
  5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I feel like my English is much better because I used to watch tv shows like Friends, Ally McBeal, Buffy, Dawson's Creek etc in my tween/teen years so much. So I think there is some validity to that.

At the facility I work at, those that are hired in bilingual positions (doctors, nurses, techs, etc) do speak to patients in Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi and so on.

That said, Gwyneth is pretentious and insufferable.
  6. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

So do I :D. But don't worry, French aren't in any way nicer to other foreigners or even to their compatriots. I'd take several buses of American tourists in my area over 4 French in a minivan...

Bébé Schtroumpf ! A French Smurf is a Schtroumpf. (Well, actually it's the other way round since the Schtroumpfs were created by Belgian comics author Peyo who was a French native speaker.)

France has no shortage of children TV series, don't worry.

There is, indeed. The French my son spoke was 60/70% learnt from watching TV when we spent time in France. In the same vein, when I was visiting Nordic countries regularly in the 80s and 90s, I had noticed that people, especially in Sweden in Denmark were speaking a much better English than their South Europe counterparts. I was told that it was partly because in countries like France, Spain and Italy, for instance, English and American movies and series were dubbed into the local language as opposed to only using undertitles (the other reason being they were starting English at school at a younger age). In France, there are a few channels where you can chose to watch movies/series in their original language, but not so many. It's a pity because it would really help. (And sometimes, some interesting and even key stuff is lost in the process). Add to that it can be really strange to hear actors talking in a voice you know are not theirs !
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Is that what they were saying? It was sort of hard to tell after a couple glasses of wine. And that episode seemed to be the "Baby Smurf in Peril" one. :lol:
  8. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Well as long as you don't sound like Tweetie Pie I guess that is OK.
  9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think the author of the article had already made up his mind to portray her as pretentious. It's hard to tell what the statement was made in reference to since the interviewer's question/comment is missing. I've seen her on talk shows, she's not THAT humorless.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I have learned my English mostly from Brittish period dramas (The Palissers; Poldark; The Onedin Line; Upstairs, Downstairs; I, Claudius and more).
    Watching TV is not necessarily a bad thing for developing a language.
    I guess Paltrow's problem is that her statement sounded kinda snobbish...
  11. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Nope, not Tweety Bird. Foghorn Leghorn. The Ziglet speaks English JUST like Foghorn Leghorn.
  12. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I say....(that's a joke son)
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Did I ever say it wasn't?
  14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

LOL, I can't believe that only because she's too ... just, no.

A - I don't believe she'd ever work that hard at anything, and I've seen Harvey Weinstein.

B - it sounds exactly like the kind of rumor someone would make up about an actress like Gwynnie just to get some modicum of revenge.

Maybe I'm cynical, but it seems like with the loosening of morals, sleeping to the top just ain't what it used to be. What I mean is that compared to the '50s, it's really easy for any guy with enough means to pay for cover charge, a car and his own place to get laid whenever he wants. So an actress who wants to trade sexual favors for jobs would have to be offering something so far beyond the norm that it would really standout against what all the drunken "liberated" young ladies are willing to offer. I don't see her as offering that, in any way.
  15. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

she is so full of herself...

I remember once reading here on FSU someone making a comment about her, how, had she not been daughter of famous and Hollywood influential parents, she would be working at GAP.

:D
  16. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

You didn't, my bad :slinkaway
  17. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Except she'd probably only be willing to work at Zara. :saint:
  18. overedge

The campaign part is pretty well documented (e.g. see the third paragraph of this story):
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/11/defense-shameless-oscar-campaigns/45570/

The "close personal relationship" part - I guess it depends where you get your gossip from.....
  19. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Well, the clothes are nicer in Zara.
  20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

eys, i believe i said she'd be folding long and leans at the gap with jennifer aniston
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Oh - I totally believe the part about the campaign. As you pointed out, it's well documented.

I just don't see her having sex with Harvey W. **off to bleach my brain!**
  22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

but harvey's wife, georgina, is 100 times better looking than gwyneth and has her own $, a fact i have never been able to process
  23. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Yeah, they might see their mother acting in something and realize what a bad actress she is.

Completely agree.

Saw her interviewed after she did some cookbook, after traveling around with Mario Batali. You would have thought she was the first woman to ever cook. Beyond pretentious.
  24. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

All this Gwenyth Paltrow hate is just so heart-warming! As much as I liked SIL, she did not deserve that Oscar, she was really the weakest perfomer of that crop. Cate Blanchett and Fernanda Montenegro out acted and outclassed her in every way possible.

Sadly, she's not even in the running for my worst Oscar Winner for BA. Julia Roberts, Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep( for Out of Africa, I like her in everything else, and think she should have won over my next mention especially) and Sandra Bullock actually make me spit up bile.
    Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  25. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

Meryl Streep didn't win the Best Actress Oscar in March 1986; Geraldine Page won for her performance in A Trip to Bountiful. Streep's two Best Actress wins were for Sophie's Choice and The Iron Lady, respectively. She won the award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Kramer vs. Kramer.
  26. escaflowne9282

I stand corrected, and YAY (26 years later even though I only saw the movie 3 years ago :eek:)
    This means Gwenyth is back in my five worst!

Re: Meryl Streep, I loved her in Kramer vs.Kramer and Sophie's Choice. I thought she would have been a very worthy winner over either Gwenyth or Sandra, but I just could not stand OofA, and for some reason I thought she had won for that role.

Back to Gwenyth... yeah, she's a twit. I knew people like her back in the day, but most people grew out of that pretentious phase after their teens.
  27. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Wow, I'd be pretty annoyed as a physician if I had to waste time with a translator when I speak to my own Mom in Spanish. Though it's true that doesn't guarantee not getting medical terms mixed up.

In any case, ITA she's pretentious but also agree with those saying TV is useful in teaching second languages. I wonder what Spanish stations would be available in London anyway? I imagine the major French networks are easy enough to get.
  28. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Georgina Chapman got her money through her Marchesa fashion line ... the dresses of which conveniently end up on the backs of Oscar-contending actresses in movies produced by Weinstein.

Hollywood goes round and round ...
  29. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Gwyneth Paltrow is awful and her Oscar was undeserved, but she was really good in Two Lovers, with Joaquin Phoenix, and The Royal Tenenbaums. I think she's an actress who should only ever have played supporting roles. She's terrible as a lead.
  30. cruisin

Yeah, I can't see her with him either :scream:

She doesn't need Weinstein to push her dresses on the red carpet. She is one of the best for couture evening wear. Marchesa is fabulous!
  31. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

32. cruisin

^^ Love it! She really is a silly twit.
  33. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

34. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think that Gwynnie is just messing with us, as though this is her idea of performance art or (more likely) some kind of marketing strategy to keep people talking about her. Surely nobody can be this ridiculous without making a conscious effort?
  35. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:respec: I usually like just about anything Meryl Streep has done, but OOA damn near drove me bonkers. Ditto for The Bridges of Madison County (she was nominated but did not win)

Co-signed. Cate wuzrobbed bigtime that year.

I may be in the minority on this, but in the movie A Perfect Murder, I was rooting for Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen :EVILLE:.
    sammyf and (deleted member) like this.
  36. cruisin

The first time I watched it, I rooted for Paltrow. I didn't know what a witch she was, then. After, I rooted for Douglas and Mortenson. Figured Douglas would get off due to the mental cruelty of living with her.
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  37. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Maybe he has a great personality.

And I think Gwyneth is completely right about plastic surgery so I don't get ragging on her for not wanting to get it but also not ruling it out. There are so many OTHER things you can rag on her about, why rag on something where she's being sensible and not pretentious?
  38. bek

bek Guest

She's just this pretentious thing who has no idea how the other half lives. She's a kindred spirit with the Romneys.. IMO (The other side of the coin)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  39. cruisin

She is far more pretentious than the Romneys.
  40. escaflowne9282

I don't if I would have gone with Cate. I thought Fernanda Montenegro gave a wonderful performance for Central Station (so underrated and one of my favorite foreign films) and Emily Watson's Hillary and Jackie is such an underrated performance too . Meryl Streep was also her usual terrific self . That was such a tour de force year for BA . Yet, it went to the weakest actress and most mediocre performance of the bunch.

Gwenyth Paltrow was truly like the box of stale raisins in the bag of Halloween Candy.