Gwendal Peizerat running for prez French Fed

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by talulabell, Apr 1, 2014.

1. talulabell

talulabell New Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Good for him. I am a strong believer in that an organisational culture comes from the leaders of the organisation. I think he will be a good Prez.

BTW - how does the French organisation work? Are all skaters members and entitled to vote? Or do regions or clubs make up the membership so have the voting rights?

4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Good!

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from the French news thread:

6. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Very good news. And he isn't over 65!

7. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

If coaches and skaters want change and or reform in their countries, they need to start speaking and be heard.

8. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you read Dick Button's most recent comment (separate thread) and then see what Gwendal's intentions are. Well, perhaps Gwendal is the first step in a worldwide process to return skating to skaters. I'd like to think that it is and there is real hope for France but for more than France with this move. Of course I have no vote but Gwendal would surely have mine if I had one - he has my virtual vote! Let's hope this is the start of something far bigger.

9. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Virtual vote? Good idea. Skaters come and leave too fast in many cases but officials are in for the long and then overly long haul. Rusted on. Barnacles. Did anyone see Misha Ge's long twit post? He is speaking up. Good for him.

10. Aussie Willy

Totally agree.

11. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I so wish I could vote for Gwendal! I think he'd be a wonderful head of the French fed (and provide refreshing, positive change) . Heck, can I vote for him to take over the ISU?

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

There is one tiny problem for Gwendal to overcome yet.
    DG had 88% votes for him last time. And you don't achieve a score like that in a heartbeat :( I fear Gwendal's bid will not succeed :(

13. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Is this another April Fool's post? I thought he was going to join Igor at Novi???

14. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

You're thinking of Fabian Bourzat.

15. Aussie Willy

Who was running against DG last time?

16. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

:eek: Whoops! My bad :lol:

17. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Can he run for ISU president instead? Pretty please??

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  18. jlai

jlai Title-less

Have to admit I was half expectung this to be an 4/1 thread. Glad it isnt

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't think he has any realistic chance of winning. The club presidents will probably prefer 'the devil they know' to somebody who's suggesting to make a lot of changes.

Exactly the same situation happened in Poland with Siudek trying for president two times now, IIRC, and not coming even close from what I know.

20. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GWENDAL!!!!:kickass::respec::rollin::cheer2:

Gwendal has what it takes, always has, which makes it extra special to be a fan of his from the inside out, meaning not only on the ice, but also the person as well. :) :saint:

21. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Yes, but if it's as bad as it sounds, and Gwendal is pushing for the right kind of change, maybe he can sway a few.

Someone asked who DB was running against when he got 88% of the vote. Does anyone know? maybe he was running unopposed and 12% would rather have no one? LOL

22. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

"The French judge" Marie-Reine Le Gougne ran against Gailhaguet in 2010. She received less than 5% of the vote.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting in this relevant thread:
    Interesting. Go, Gwendal! :D

24. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

:respec::40beers: GOOOOOOOOOOOOO GWENDAL, YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :kickass::encore:

25. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

On Gwendal's facebook page, a letter from Maximin Coia was posted today. He said that he stopped competing even though he had good opportunities (to skate with Vanessa James). He was disgusted by the way the French Fed treated him and the skaters. He thought he was better treated by Skate Canada and that's why he is now coaching in Quebec. He talks about all the negativity that he faced with the French Fed, while he did not face that when he was doing other sports in France: gymnastics, volley-ball, tennis, track and field,...

26. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I don't know what Gwendal's chances are to win the elections, but he is probably the most dangerous oponent to Gailhaguet. The French Fed needs changes and Pezeirat is very well capable of doing this. He's got what is needed to be a president : experience of his sport, a big name, recognition of his talent by his sportive world, business qualities and experience, he is young enough and still has enough experience, he seems "serious", he has a project and a vision for his federation.
    The only thing that could prevent Pezeirat from reaching his goal is Gailhaguet's power toward clubs presidents. I don't know what kind of pressure he puts on big clubs to get their voices, but when one gets 88% of votes, it's obviously that there is some kind of pressure behind. However in 2010 Gailhaguet had no really serious oponents. Now it's a different situation.
    I bet Gailhaguet may offer a deal to Pezeirat, like joining his team, allows Gailhaguet to win in exchange of a big position within his team.

27. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Gailhaguet goes to every skating rink opening, club gala and synthethic ice winter events. He knows all the club presidents very well and has been schmoozing a lot of them for years....the fed is paying for his travels, so he enjoys going on a power trip everywhere. He does love figure skating and has an opinion on everything. His leadership style is very self-centered and tyranic. The clubs that received the French team olympic tour are going to vote for him.

But he has pissed off a lot of athletes and clubs over the years. In the social media area, he can't sweep everything under the rug anymore. The athletes have a voice and Gwendal is using it brilliantly to highlight the damages done by Didier over the years.
    I really think that the king will be dethroned this time. Gwendal is running a very public campaign and urging people to go vote. In the past, a lot of presidents would not even bother and give their proxy to someone.

28. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I fear DG will win once again in a landslide :(

29. Aussie Willy

One of the problems in sports administration is complacency. Unless people feel really strong about something, they usually don't care and let the status quo go on for years. Or the only alternative they have is to replace something they don't like with something else they don't like. Not much of a choice.

That is why it is very difficult for new faces to make an impact.

Here's hoping Gwendal can go against that trend.

30. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Gwendal is smart and with experience. He is well liked and respected among the skating elite. Importantly, he demonstrates the hallmarks of being aware that there are many stake holders whose needs have to be addressed and met. That surely is the mark of a strong, yet compassionate leader who is seeking change through conciliation, communication and improved governance.