Gus Lussi Instructional Videos

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by manleywoman, Dec 1, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi all. I was speaking with Cecily Morrow this weekend about a podcast interview, and she wanted me to pass along the following information for those who are interested in the Gus Lussi tapes she produced years ago called "Systematic Figure Skating: The Spin and Jump Techniques of Gustave Lussi," and the PBS documentary profile on Gus Lussi.

The instructional tapes "Systematic Figure Skating: The Spin and Jump Techniques of Gustave Lussi" are now available on DVD and as downloads on the website: www.icecommand.com or www.cecilymorrow.com

To see the PBS documentary "Gustave Lussi: The Man Who Changed Skating" call your local PBS station and ask for it to be broadcast; it was originally broadcast nationally in June of 1990. It was a WCFE Plattsburgh, NY production. It may be possible to get a copy from the PBS station (WCFE) in Plattsburgh, NY.

2. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

That's excellent! I have the first two spin videos on cassette and like them very much. It's great to have Lussi's techniques preserved.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Nice. I have all three tapes. I enjoy his different approach towards coaching, although I haven't been able to make every tip work for me.

I used to read Skater's Edge as well.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

For those of you who are not skaters or are retired skaters - there is a lot of footage of his students (John Curry, Dorothy Hamill, Robin Cousins etc.). You can also watch Paul Wylie taking lessons (and not getting it right away).

I look forward to Manleywoman's podcast with Cecily Morrow. I called her a few years ago (her number was on the Wikipedia page about the Lussi tapes) and she was very animated and full of anectdotes about Dick Button and skating production in general. She told me he used to call her and ask her for the Lussi videos to review (he could never find his own copies) each year before he commentated at U.S. Nationals.

5. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Arrrrgh. Why is volume 4 still "in production" and not ready for sale? :wuzrobbed: This is the hour that has been unavailable for the longest time...and it is the only one I don't have.

Lussi is the coolest guy. I love his lessons with Paul Wylie.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

LadyNit, I've never seen any of this footage and would love to!

7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I don't believe Volume 4 has ever been available!

8. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member