1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns for children? Think again!

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by Vash01, May 1, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Liza, Julia, Elena, Evgenia, Russian pairs

(Not sure if this thread belongs here or in PI)

IMO this was an accident waiting to happen. A 5-year old boy received a gun as a gift for his birthday. He accidentally killed his 2-year old sister with it.:(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/kentucky-accidential-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

They live in Kentucky. I am not sure how far from a city they live, and how much they need guns for protection. Still, it makes no sense to give guns to children that young.

Sadly, this is not the only accidental killing by a child. There have been other cases.

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

This guy has been tracking accidental gun injuries and deaths, and reporting his statistics on Twitter.

He has a large number of gun safety instructors who've accidentally shot themselves or someone they were instructing! :eek:

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I'm in KY; Cumberland County is a good 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Lexington and Louisville, and about the same distance from Knoxville and Nashville. That part of the states is extremely conservative and very pro-gun, so a child having his or her own gun isn't really a strange thing there. My husband has a friend from college who was raised in Cumberland County and the amount of childhood photos he has involving guns is unreal. I once asked him why they have so many guns and if they actually used them, he said they use about two for hunting and own the rest "because they can".

4. Vash01

Quite possibly they don't think of these accidental shootings/deaths anything different from car accidents. Am I correct?

The only difference is cars are built for transport. Guns are built for killing.

5. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

What kind of morons are these people? I hope they get thrown in jail! Who gives a 5 year old a gun? OK - let's even imagine that you wanted to familiarize your child with guns, gun safety, gun respect, whatever. Who leaves a kid with a gun.........unsupervised.
    And, who goes outside and leaves a two year old inside with a 5 year old.

This accident was not the result of someone who was pro-gun. This was the result of someone having children who was no qualified for parenthood!

This kind of totally preventable child abuse makes me nuts.

6. dardar1126

Twitter:

7. Vash01

If they really wanted to teach their kids how to use a gun, why use a loaded gun? Couldn't they teach with an empty gun? Just asking.

8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

It isn't uncommon for kids in the rural areas I grew up in to get hunting rifles, either. But not at age five. More like 10-12 and then used only with supervision. I'm sorry, but nothing "cultural" makes it okay for kindergartners to be given firearms.

9. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Yes, they could've, and should've, especially since the first rule of firearms safety is to treat ANY gun as if it is loaded and ready to fire. Even when it isn't. Second is never to point it at anyone, even if it is unloaded (goes hand-in-hand with rule #1). I know this, and the only time I ever used a firearm was target shooting with my father and 2 older brothers in the woods behind my grandparents' house on Thanksgiving when I was 13.

10. Really

Really Boston 2016 - I came, I saw, I loved it!

Un-f*cking-believable.

How many children have to die?

11. quartz

quartz Never ever let anyone dull your sparkle.

Hey, at least the USA bans Kindereggs....always putting the safety of children first, you know.:wall:

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  12. dardar1126

13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

14. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

MY BF lives in Somerset, KY. I've been there a few times. there are plenty of lovely people there. But, the general attitude toward guns is scary! My friend is from NY, so she shares my distaste for any kind of gun. She tells me stories that are just :scream:! We went houseboating on Cumberland Lake (several years ago) I kept expecting to hear the guitar music from Deliverance, at night. :eek:

15. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

From the mouths of babes.

Joe Biden responds to a letter written by a child regarding guns.

You're a Good Boy

16. Vash01

That's cute!

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Exactly. My coworker is from Idaho and it was perfectly normal for him to go skeet shooting as a teen. But 5?!?!?!

Would anyone give a 5-year-old child a full-size chef's knife for their birthday and let them use it unsupervised? Then why are guns different?

18. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

That's the million dollar question. My husband and I spent a weekend at his friend's family's lake house last summer. His family was there and some of them were skeet shooting (which I've done before) but his friend's 5 year old nephew was messing around with a small gun (come to think of it, it may have been one involved here), I got nervous because he was waving that thing around and no one seemed all that concerned. Later that evening after dinner, the same little boy picked up a table knife to hand to his aunt who was loading the dishwasher and his mom snatched it away and says "no, you know knives are a no no, they're dangerous".