Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Holy crap. On the preview, Zac just said "techno powwow" on the blue/silver look, and Michael Kors "loved, loved, LOVED" Michelle's first look.

IOW, at least two judges agree with me on something and said exactly what I was thinking.

And one of them is Michael Kors.

...I don't know if I should buy a lotto ticket or prepare for the end times.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Did Patricia not get the message that this was a fall collection? Too many bare backs and shoulders for fall. But she definitely had a couple of cute spring/summer looks.

3. duane

duane New Member

I LOVED Patricia's runway show!! If I ever go to a live runway show, hers is what I want to see--bold fashion, bold colors, and an entertaining show. I also loved Michelle's show. I'm glad they were the top-two.

Stanley went into fashion week as the clear favorite, but he simply fizzled out. The 3 outfits Kors pointed out in his collection were AMAZING, but that was it. 3rd place is exactly where he belonged.

4. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

ITA. Each of her looks could be titled with the first word being "Katniss."
    "Katniss goes to the Capital."
    "Katniss goes hunting."
    "Katniss hanging out at home."
    "Katniss leading the revolution."

Yeah...that was....not good. Damn, ease up on the slap, you've got it set on "clown".

Nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

They got it right.

6. danceronice

Michelle won? Because I would have gone Michelle-Patricia-Stanley (because Patricia had one dress that didn't fit the collection well, and two others where I wasn't in love with the fabric but had a fantastic looking and moving collection overall, and Stanley was a snoozefest, while Michelle didn't have any real missteps and a couple looks you could basically put in a store right now).

I went and was watching "Black Swan" on FMC instead because I really didn't want to hear the judges yacking.

Like I want that first dress. And the gray and black with kind of striping from Patricia's.

7. danceronice

Though on most of Michelle's, I'd want a little more buckles/rivets and on that red in particular I'd want the compass back. Tim and the judges don't get steampunk. Or even just punk.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I didn't like Michelle's collection.
    Too heavy and "costume-ish ; with its' Armageddon/Warrior vibe.

Stanley simply refused to listen and made himself irrelevant.

None of the others could have done what Patricia accomplished; either in terms of textile creation, or in using her theme in an interesting and beautiful way.
    She referenced, and honored her culture, without being too "reverential" for a contemporary woman to appreciate her approach.
    Her clothes were a blend of retro and modern; traditional and trendy - constantly intriguing..

Stanley and Michelle are "manipulators" of fabric,
    Patricia is a creator/designer, IMO.
    I hope that she finds an opportunity to shine in the industry.

9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Loved Michelle's collection. The most cohesive, and the best variety.

Stanley's was surprisingly pedestrian. I thought it right that he was immediately out of the running.

Patricia had some nice moments, but just not enough.

But all three of them will be set for life after this. They are all so talented.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I was hoping Michelle was all set to win when she won the L&T challenge. Stanley's stuff is too much like what they already have, and Patricia's customer, if she exists, doesn't shop at L&T.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I agreed with the result and the order. I really liked Michelle's collection. I also thought Hunger Games punk. I would wear her stuff though (with the compass too). She had so many pieces, it was cohesive and expensive looking. Loved the opening look, and the coat, and so many other pieces. I didn't love the bleeding heart sweater, but so funny that Tim told her to lose it and Nina just loved it. I think it might have given her the win. I liked her story too.

Some of Patricia's stuff was just gorgeous, and there is no reason that an art wear designer shouldn't win. But it looked like she had 4 or 5 different 2-3 piece collections, some spring, some fall, several completely different silhouettes.

I cannot believe Stanley blew it. He completely lost focus and clearly wasted a lot of his at home time. Plus, when Nina tells you to put the cool top with the black pants, do it! She'll cut you at the end for not doing her bidding. The looks that he made at the last minute were Michael Kors' favorite and my least favorite. The yellowish upscale shirt dress and white with gold sparkle dress looked like short versions of Pat Nixon and Betty Ford go to the Kennedy Center in the 70s. A number of matronly looks, adn so much poor unfinished sewing. I really only liked the plain black pantsuit and the outfit where Nina wanted the top paired with the black pants. Such a shame - I thought he'd be the most polished of the 3, not the least.

12. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Michelle's was very yawn. I'm sorry it was just over redundant and had no originality to it in the sense that I have seen these sorts of outfits all over cosplay conventions before. It was really lame overall and would simply make my own post apocalyptic outfit if that's what I wanted.

Patricia was bold and refreshing and was clearly the most talented and the only one who took risks and attempted to innovate. The only thing that held her back was that indeed her aesthetic is probably not marketable to the general population. On the other hand her designs certainly make a statement. I love her and she should have won.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I thought of another description for most of Michelle's collection - survival gear.
    Hardly flattering to anyone; and even difficult for those size 0 models to wear.

I'd rather Patricia represent the "future" of fashion/design, than Michelle, any day.

ETA: Casting for the next season of PR is underway!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  14. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I just hated Michelle's clothes. I even liked Patricia's better and heaven knows if anyone would wear her outfits.
    Stan really folded at the end. I didn't think any of the 3 were a success.
    what a disappointment.

15. danceronice

I've never liked much of Stanley's so I'm amazed he lost. I've seen all of it, and it's still blah.

Michelle won on cohesion and marketability. I'd actually wear much of that. Patricia I think would only have won if the prize didn't involve designing for L&T, and even then she had a couple looks that didn't quite blend with the others. I don't mean fall vs. spring (who honestly cares one way or another there?) but some of the ones with the wrap-around sort of fabric (like one Tim was suggesting she change the angle on) didn't quite seem finished or to fit with the others. It would take a lot to make most of that easily salable to the average L&T customer. Stanley's meanwhile they already have (but again, I felt the same way about things like his "London" dress, which looked like a less-ambitious Christian look...)

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yep. I felt like after the mini collections, they should have just said, "meh, no one wins; go home."

17. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

My favorite part of the whole finale was the update on Demitri. Love him and am glad he has been so successful since last season.

I agree that Hedi looked ridiculous. The face, the hair, the outfit...yikes!

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Coming from the Northeast, I loved Michelle's take on outerwear. Too many of the fall collections we see are just redos of the spring ones in darker colors. Hers was a true fall collection. Could I wear it? No, but I think the ideas were really good.

19. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

See, now, I'm also from New England and my thought on Michelle's collection was that New England falls are depressing enough; her clothes would make me suicidal. OTOH, if I went homicidal, at least I'd be dressed to kill. ;)

I liked Patricia's designs all along, even if I wouldn't wear them. But it was pretty obvious all along that her stuff wouldn't be a good fit for Lord and Taylor.