Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

To me most of Patricia's designs come off as artsy crafty and not at all interesting or creative. Sure, she has had a few successful designs most notably episode 1 beautiful , but while this used a somewhat interesting technique, in the end it was a boring dress with some whicketywack hanging off it. how much creativity did this really take? I am beginning to see a pattern here take a boring dress and overlay whicketywack

This monstrosity should have gotten her auf'd

boring and not particularly well made cruise wear

This was interesting I liked that she handpainted an additional piece of material, this piece along with the first episode dress were the only two pieces that really caught my interest.

This last dress was once again nothing but a boring dress with a lot of crap hanging off. The shape was not in the least flattering or interesting.

ETA, to be honest, none of the designers this season have particularly caught my imagination. The talent on this show has gone way down since the move to Lifetime.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I dislike the use of 'arts & crafts' as a pejorative term. It's like people who say 'pottery is not real art.' Yes, 'arts & crafts' meaning textile design and manipulation is her strength. She's also good at using unusual materials and techniques to enhance her garments. So basically all the things that you criticise her for are the things which are make her stand out from the crowd and which make her original and memorable. You might perceive them as 'not real fashion' but that's more prejudice than it is an argument. And at the end of the day, what's seen as 'legitimate art' and 'arts & crafts' is very arbitrary. It's a red herring.

She screwed this one up, definitely, but there were much worse designs in that episode. Like Amanda's:
    http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-11/rate-the-runway/episode-6

The flower-like overlay and the way it flowed were anything but boring.

3. KCC

KCC Active Member

OT, sort of... Why do most runway models look stoned? Or like they have suffered years of abuse and have a dead look in their eyes. Is that just to keep the focus on the clothes?

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That seems to be the idea, I believe.

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

So far (pre-elimination)....of all the "inspirations" the only one I don't get is Stanley. All the others I can look at and go "Oh, yeah, I get it, that's New York/Berlin/Paris/Barcelona", but...how the heck is that London?

6. duane

duane New Member

Yuck...I'm not feeling good about who the judges are going to pick.

7. danceronice

I'm kind of...huh? On their response to Stanley's. It was..not London. (And I'm sorry, everyone
    "in" but Stanley should be PARANOID--exact words, people, Heidi only told him "You will show at fashion week." All the others got "You'll make a collection and return to New York.")

And I have this delightfully evil thought that in the judges' deliberation we didn't see when going to bat for Patricia Heidi pulled on Meana Garzilla "Hey, the last time I caved in to you and Kors about 'sellable' clothes...you gave the win to Gretchen. We should trust your judgement why?"

8. duane

duane New Member

That would have been a much better "task". In the end, there really wasn't one. I mean, she had to "wow" them? Isn't that the supposed task every week for all the designers?? Anyway, I'm glad she made it to fashion week. I too don't think all four will actually put on a show, but at least she still has a chance.

Daniel so annoys me. Did he cry during the entire show for heavens sakes? I will say that I thought his look so reminded me of Germany, but that may have more because his model looked like the white, blond rocker girls I saw when I was stationed there in the 80's.

Didn't at all get the Stanley love this week. Don't know all about London, but I just thought the black outfit was SNOOZE-fest.

I was scared for Patricia. I thought that jacket looked like a pinata, with the sleeves full of candy and toys.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. skatesindreams

I didn't care for Stanley or Daniel's outfits.

Despite the "Sherlock" reference, the look was funereal and dreary.
    Daniel's look lacked the "snap" that would make it distinctive.

Shh...I liked Layana's jacket.

10. danceronice

I thought that was really an 'Oh crap" moment for the judges/producers and their special challenge for her was more a warning. They clearly really did NOT want to send her home and they were stuck. The "task" was more like a punishment for not letting them eliminate one of the others. (I assume Leyana or Patricia.)

Though now I wonder if Stanley is the chosen one, or if there was something about that fabric that just REALLY doesn't come across on TV because it just looked like a really skinny black dress with a capelet.

11. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

So glad my fellow Tiwa woman Patricia made it to fashion week. The only one who clearly is inspired in my opinion and draws her inspiration from within. I don't care if her clothing is 'wearable' or not, it's truly remarkable and so much different than anyone else as far as her vision and her ability to manipulate textiles. With several months to work her ideas will come to fruition without the constraints of time.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I liked Layanas jacket too. Not the ruffles but the jacket.it was the only piece on the runway that I would buy. I wonder if she'd had a short skirt poking out, would they have thought it looked younger.

Didn't they have an on runway remake challenge in the all star season? (Ulli and Josh? ) I too thought that was what Michelle would have to do. Loved her idea, didn't think the ombré worked.

Stanley's was boring and Daniels was dated Germany. I would have asked Patricia to remove the black leather at the top so I could see the jacket. I liked the fabric, not the shape. ITA with the piñata comment above.

13. skatesindreams

I'll be looking forward to what Patricia does, as well.
    The preview of her visit with Tim is intriguing.

14. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I was disappointed by Stanley's dress. The sketches he originally drew looked brilliant but the final result looked like a widow's weeds! And that beautiful material he used as a liner looked tacky to me.

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Just catching this episode.

I'm so glad Michelle was given a second chance and that she pulled it together. I liked the bib thing, but the skirt of that dress was crazy big. I was kind of :eek: at her fascination with the soot places on the buildings and wondering how on earth she was going to incorporate it with her fabric. I also noted that Michelle was chosen for Fashion Week by every other designer. They only mentioned Stanley being named by all of the other designers.

Patricia's jacket looked like white plastic wal mart bags over top of fabric. I didn't care for it, but then I can't think of many of her designs that I thought were great. I do have to give her credit for doing something different. I am looking forward to seeing what she can do when she has less time constraints.

I didn't get the love for Stanley's dress. Maybe it comes across better in person. I thought it was just another black dress. I missed the wow factor. And yay for no Richard drama this week. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I saw Richard actually doing anything for Stanley. Maybe Stanley just did the whole thing himself.

Daniel's hair in the preview is :scream: I'm happy that he gave up the old stuffy look at least for one week. But who knows what he'll do when he's on his own to design. I do think Amanda really helped him this week. And I love Berlin! I so want to take another trip there some day.

I'm not sad to see Layana go, purely because her voice drives me crazy. She just seems to be perpetually whining whenever she opens her mouth. I appreciated her effort in designing that jacket, but I also got a old fashioned vibe from it. And the sleeves looked like napkins hanging out. It is :( that they liked the piece that she didn't make.

16. duane

duane New Member

Patricia's studio is AWESOME!!

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Michelle looks like the winner right now.

18. duane

duane New Member

I'm glad for the 3 who made it, but thought Michelle's outfits were awful!! I thought the 3 models looked unkempt and messy. I didn't like Patricia's outfits all that much either. But, they were't boring...like Stanley's and Daniel's outfits.

19. skatesindreams

If that was "representative" of Michelle's collection and taste level, UGH!

Stanley was a big disappointment.
    I've never understood what the judges see in him.

Patricia was, by far, my favorite; given what she showed last night.
    The "attitude" toward her, especially from Nina, seemed dismissive and rude.
    It's strange, since she was second into the finals.

I suspect that Zac Posen really fought for her.

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Stanley=boring
    Daniel=boring
    Patricia=didn't look like a collection.
    Michelle=attempt at being fashion forward and new. I loved the black coat. And the sweater. Looked like a collection. My color palette is the same as hers too.

21. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Heidi likes her too.

22. skatesindreams

She didn't seem quite so supportive last night.
    Of course, there's much discussion we don't hear.

23. Ageless

Ageless Member

I liked Michelle's collection for the most part, but there did seem to be too many pieces. I also like Patricia's collection, but the blue dress, which was gorgeous, didn't fit with the other two pieces. Nina clearly doesn't like her, so I'm wondering what her chances at winning are with one judge already so weighted against her. Does anyone know if there is going to be a guest judge for the final?

24. skatesindreams

Nina acts as though she regards Patricia as a "throw-away".

25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

My assessment as well.

26. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

The preview showed Michael Kors as a 4th judge.

27. danceronice

Oh great, if Michael Kors is back Nina's got backup (though I still wonder if Heidi got Patricia into the fight for the final by reminding Nina that she and Kors INSISTED on giving the win to Wretchen and look how popular THAT turned out to be so zip it..)

28. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just do not get the Patricia love. I am totally on Nina's side here. The blue dress was cute, but the headpiece ridiculous. The other pieces of hers I just don't get. I am not really a fan of any of the designers, but am hoping Stanley pulls it out. He is just so classy in his designs. Editing is leading us to believe Michelle is going to win, with all her almost not making it and being given a second chance talk.

29. duane

duane New Member

Yes, and the preview shows him saying "art teacher on an acid trip". I suspect he's talking about Patricia, which is worrisome.

30. danceronice

Well, I don't expect her to win, but weirdly Patricia's is way more "fashion as art" than most PR collections. Seeing it all in context it made total sense to me knowing her POV--I see powwow made space age--paillettes on the blue dress remind me of the silver janglers on powwow dance outfits, the colors and 99% of the shapes worked for me, and the gray and black dress with the stripes is on my list with Michelle's first look of dresses I'm going to cut a bitch for. The checked blue shirt, girl on the rez, that even made sense when I saw it with the styling. The only one I didn't get was the red sequin short dress and I was partially distracted by the model's hideous walk. I mean, what? Miss Jay is going to have to take some girls to school....

I liked Michelle's overall--it had a kind of "Steampunk goes Hunger Games" vibe. (I want that first dress.)

And now, demonstrating he'll probably win, the first and only look so far of Stanley's where I haven't been like YAWN was the gray sparkling dress on the Asian model. The only thing interesting are some fabric choices. (How does what looks like a black cardigan over a bronze dress make it "sexier"?) Wow, a couple of those make me wonder...did he have a couple plus-size models in there? The dresses make them look huge.

ALL of them cranked out much better stuff than on the show, because gee, I don't know, THEY HAD MORE TIME, PRODUCERS?

Also...whoever styled Heidi? You're fired. I don't care that I don't have that authority, you're fired.