Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Nope, the judges just confirmed what I'd thought all season long - the team concept sucks. But I would appreciate it if they aufed everyone. :kickass:

2. duane

duane New Member

I now like Patricia. I think her outfits and creativity are interesting. I only see her or Stanley as the winner.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well guess what, of course they did end up giving them one day. :rolleyes:

For a challenge where the created product is supposed to be sold in an upmarket department store nationwide. Great.

I cannot believe they have kept Richard. Again. I am so so angry right now. :mad:

Well I can believe it. The producers needed the drama.

Richard has created the same dress he did before. And it didn't make sense for this challenge at all.

Daniel and Richard really have issues. Daniel is not very well connected to reality and should probably be locked in psychiatric ward and Richard doesn't have a shred of of self-awareness.They also have shockingly bad taste and they should have left the competition a long time ago.

Stanley's Lv5 control freak was really ugly also. I am very surprised that Patricia didn't lose her temper and murder him. I definitely would have.

I'm even more surprised that Michelle has produced something as incredible as that dress. Really simple, really commercial but also beautiful and sophisticated. It was perfect for this challenge.

Leyana - definitely what Heidi said. A hot dress with a horrible print.

I think that it's worked brilliantly in terms of giving the show an edge, creating a dynamic between the designers and creating lots of drama.

I think Patricia's look was second best. But Stanley's dress was terrible. Well, it fitted and was well cut but was just so generic and boring.

It had nothing to do with the team concept. All outfits were bad because they didn't have enough time for that challenge and because the designers were ignorant about menswear.

Patricia was creative and different from episode 1. Definitely the most interesting designer of this series.

I think the top 3 should be: Patricia, Stanley and Michelle I guess (Leyana is good but doesn't excite, Daniel and Richard are TERRIBLE).

I really hope Patricia wins.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I didn't like Leyana's dress less because of the print than the length. It works okay on a very tall model, it would drown a woman of average height even allowing for it being made to size. Hack it off at the knees/just above and the print would be fine because there'd be LESS of it and it wouldn't seem so living-room-drapey. Nothing about it was bad but as a maxi it was overwhelming.

The winner escapes me, but I don't like stick-figure clothes (it's a rectangle. If you're any shape other than toothpick, it won't flatter, the straight horizontals mean if you're not tall, it'll make you downright squat.) But the color was a nice change from "relentless black" or "spring means pink!" (And I LIKE pink.)

I don't even REMEMBER Patricia's dress and I still want her to win overall. Not least for not waiting until Stanley dozed off and smothering him to death with damp muslin. (Seriously, I wanted to beat him.) The woman is clearly a saint.

It is not bad designers or the team concept. It is LACK. OF. TIME. No one can conceptualize, shop, pattern-make, cut, sew, fit, and show in 24 hours on borderline-no sleep. I don't think the answer is doing a Fashion Star because yeah, that show is just...blah...but going back to one-day challenges being the exception rather than the rule.

5. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I'm slowly getting on the Patricia bandwagon as well, although she is a little too crunchy-granola for my taste. The next challenge is the fabric design challenge; she better knock that out of the park. (Between that and me getting on the bandwagon, she'll probably be going home next.)

Layana and Michelle are egotistical and b*tchy, but they know how to design.

Stanley's dress was a snooze this week, but I'm rooting for him to be in the top three.

Richard and Daniel, time to go home.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I don't care for the team concept; but, the one-day challenges are even worse!

7. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I wasn't. The L&T honcho obviously wanted Michelle's dress and would have picked Michelle and Daniel as the winning team even if Daniel had sent his model down in sackcloth.

It would be nice if the judges were consistent. Sometimes they send home the boring well-made dress (Richard) and other times they send home the more interesting but less well-constructed dress (Samantha). This time Samantha drew the short straw.

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ITA, Rogue. Also, what reckless and others have said!

The Thunder From Down Under Challenge was the worst PR results show ever, no thanks to Heidi and the producers. The designers needed at least 2 to 3 days for that challenge, if the emphasis was actually going to be on judging quality efforts, as it used to be when this show was first developed. The thunder challenge was disastrous because of Host/ Producers' choices. Also a disservice was done to the gorgeous Aussie guys group and to the designers. Sure the designers seemingly should have done a better job even in the time they were allotted, but there were too many strikes against them. One of the best past PR shows was the one where the designers created outfits for women boxers, so the thunder down under challenge might have worked had the designers been given sufficient time to think creatively, figure out menswear construction, and execute their ideas.

As far as this past week's Lord & Taylor episode, I think it further illustrates the weaknesses of the teams concept. Too often good efforts are only safe. Patricia and Michelle had the best designs, so it's too bad they weren't teamed. If Daniel and Stanley had been teamed together, they would probably have been the losing team and perhaps Daniel would have been sent packing. I thought Stanley's tone and his effort were very bad. His dress was so blah, boring. And he was such a total pill toward Patricia -- so nasty and aggressive, which was uncalled for. Perhaps, after Tim's input Stanley began to settle down and he may have been somewhat helpful to Patricia in the end, but for himself Stanley was totally against taking Tim's advice and he was wrong about that too. It was one of Stanley's worst designs. The team challenge has taken a toll on all the designers.

Richard was awful this week in his grudge against Layana. Richard should have just been thankful that Amanda had been sent home for the thunder challenge instead of him. Richard could have taken the high road and made amends with Layana. Of course Layana and Amanda were OTT against Richard during the thunder challenge, but Richard should have tried to put that aside. Apparently though, that kind of animosity and backbiting is what the producers want to see. For his bitterness and his lack of taste, Richard should have been sent packing for the L&T challenge.

Clearly the judges were ready for Samantha to be auf'ed. She was even an afterthought in being paired with Layana and Richard. It also kinda seemed like a set-up that Tim approved Samantha's design choice and encouraged her re "bringing a new kind of customer to Lord & Taylor." The heart cutout was not a good idea. As soon as Samantha said, "Oh, I never got such a good critique from Tim. Now, I'm really going to play up the junior," I suspected she was going down the wrong road completely. Plus she and her teammates were totally indifferent toward each other which did not help. Silly that from week-to-week none of them has learned the importance of working together without all the bi*ching and blaming.

Daniel had a total melt-down in the workroom, and Michelle got overly defensive re Daniel's craziness. Michelle was lucky she followed Tim's advice and ditched the rain vest. If she was going to go with that idea, why did she choose black anyway? Her dress was a winner, but it did not look great to me in the Lord & Taylor window. It looked like they changed the trim color and it looked wrinkled. Also, altho' it was never brought up, it seemed like Daniel was trying to make a rose effect with the way some of the fabric of his dress was puckered, either that or it was simply a bad sewing job. :p

Too bad for Samantha, but once again, the producers had had enough of her -- she apparently wasn't pulling it for them in the exciting, controversial department, despite her nose ring ;) (ugh). I was not that fond of Samantha's aesthetic, but I think she's more creative than Richard, who just generally has poor taste. Richard's choice of styling and accessories is horrible, and his loud, cutesy act has totally worn thin. The L&T challenge was definitely a case where the poorest outfit was auf'ed, but again Amanda was saved a few times when she had the worst executed outfit, so in the end the judges' decisions have nothing to do with taste, or with who deserves to go home.

BTW, clearly Heidi's taste is very much in question. Heidi recently wore a tasteless, crevice-plunging outfit to an event that showed off most of her breasts, leaving nothing to the imagination. It seems as if Heidi has lost her mind along with her marriage.
    http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/02/25/heidi-klum-oscar-dress-2013-academy-awards-picture/

I really enjoy Tim Gunn but I wonder whether he's often been biting his tongue and his lips during this awful season. But Tim is nothing if not loyal to the show, I suppose. As far as guest judges, I love Rachel Roy. She always tries to find something nice and constructive to say to the designers, even for poor efforts. Rachel definitely seemed to be defending Samantha over Richard, and so was Nina surprisingly. But Heidi and the producers won out.

Ultimately the teams concept doesn't work well for an entire series because the individual designers aren't being rewarded for what they do well. Plus, the show is a joke re not giving the designers enough time to complete these crazy challenges.

IMO, Richard and Daniel need to go next. Possibly the top three might be Michelle, Patricia, and Stanley, but Layana could get lucky at the expense of one of those three. I think Michelle is talented in a funky way, but I'm not in love with her tattoos or her personality. I'd like to see what Patricia and Stanley can do for a full collection. I agree with others that it's hard to determine the skill level of these designers because they aren't being given a decent opportunity to show what they can do. Perhaps that's why Stanley was so angry and aggressive toward Patricia...

Even at the beginning of the L&T show, Stanley seemed pissed off with his comment about wanting to finally get a real clothing design challenge. But even though he did, he came up with nothing special. He was apparently too worried about what Patricia was doing.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  9. danceronice

Not done yet, but...while on pure construction, I can see Richard going home. But I'm kind of hoping karma comes down on crybaby Layana, who was SO CONVINCED she was the team genius (and I didn't see anything in the workroom that really showed HER telling Daniel what to do that entitles her to "That's HALF my dress, and the avant-garde is all me but the other one is half mine and you betrayed me!")

10. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Layana is ridiculous. She helped Richard with the concept but that jacket is all him. That's maybe the best jacket I've seen on this show. That black jacket was INCREDIBLE!!!!!

The blazer/jacket was all Richard. Layana does not have the skill set to construct a blazer like that. Richard's construction skills are the best of all the designers.

Michelle and Patricia are the best designers.

I'm cheering for Patricia or Stanley to win. I would love to see a collection from Michelle, Patricia and Stanley. Patricia is a designer's designer. She's like a combo of Thea Porter and Bob Gibb from the 70s.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Layana is getting on my last nerve. She throws Richard under the bus one week, then she has a meltdown because Daniel betrayed her by sticking up for himself? Both those pieces had Daniel written all over them. The "creative genius" was totally stuck and crying in a corner until the others talked her off the ledge. She did the print, which I liked, but after that she just flailed.

I loved Stanley's dress, and Michelle's face print was great/loved the painting on the overcoat.

Also hoping for Michelle, Stanley, Patricia.

12. skatesindreams

Layana was very fortunate this week.

13. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

When she was sitting there totally falling apart, all I could think was, "You did it to yourself, sweetheart. Now own up to it." Oviously the judges have caught onto her and her dynamic.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, I think her comment to the judges "I kept telling him to make something I would wear" really told them where she was coming from.

15. danceronice

Yeah, she should thank her lucky stars Richard's piece was just pure crap. I actually liked Patricia's in the 'wearable art'/outre sense, though not in a thousand years could anyone actually WEAR it. I would have probably gone with Michelle as the winning dress. I didn't like the colors on their ready-to-wear, and while it certainly did MOVE, it billowed out so it looked like a circus tent. Summer maternity wear?

Another weakness of the 'team' format--the winner should really have been Daniel's look but his team didn't win. That jacket was just flawless. The skirt wasn't EXCITING but it was certainly a nice way to take the art print and tone it down.

16. duane

duane New Member

I agree about Daniel's jacket. It looked absolutely STUNNING on the runway. I SO want to buy it for my sister or niece.

I didn't like Stanley's dress at all. I didn't see the entire show (only the last half-hour or so), and didn't even think it was a dress. I thought it was a shapeless poncho.

17. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I think Stanley won based on the bubble wrap--that was his idea. It made the dress. I'm very over Leyana.

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Layana or Leyana is so whiny. I can't stand her voice or personality this week.

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Actually from what I saw, Daniel and Layana were both working on a print idea which didn't turn out right when they enlarged it so they started over. And, then it was Daniel who came up with their final print at the last minute according to what he said in his voice-over.

ITA with everyone about Layana's attitude. Right from the beginning when she was paired with Daniel, the vibe was not good, because it was obvious Layana wasn't happy with the pairing (kind of ironic since she'd worked well with Daniel during the first team challenge at the beginning of the season). It went from bad to worse as they were walking around the art museum, and Layana was being nose-in-the-air while Daniel gave in to her. I think both Daniel and Layana were feeling fragile after some rough team experiences. But Daniel was less fragile since he'd gotten lucky the previous challenge where he should have been in the bottom but his teammate Michelle won, so he was saved.

Perhaps Daniel should have been the one to do the art piece and Layana should have done the ready-to-wear. It seems that Layana's nose-in-the-air attitude (masking nerves and fear of inadequacy) led her to become controlling without any substantial creative ideas to back it up. Next we see Daniel having to beg Layana to cut some of the print fabric so he'd have something to work with for his ready-to-wear outfit. She was in complete agonizing/ monopolizing mode and only gave Daniel less than a yard of fabric that he ended up making work. Daniel seemed to have calmed down from the previous challenge and didn't let Layana's high-handed manner and whiny nerves frazzle him.

Seems to me that Layana got over-excited about the prize money for this challenge and lost any creative edge. She was obsessing about how she needed the money to pay off school bills, when she should have just tried to get motivated, and more importantly, work with her teammate. She is young, good-looking and talented, so she will probably do well in the industry if she takes this all in as a learning experience and grows up.

Richard was clearly ready to go home, because he should have been sent packing a few challenges before. He was uncomfortable and out of his element. Too bad his former teammate, Samantha, didn't make it to at least this challenge. Patricia's idea didn't translate well this challenge ... it wasn't fully realized. The root of the problem is that Patricia and Richard didn't work together at all -- too many excuses re having different aesthetics.

Stanley and Michelle rocked, but the key is that they also worked well together and their aesthetics were complementary. It was cool that they combined on the concept and had input on both outfits. The print design was Michelle's, and she made an interesting coat, plus the hand-drawing on the back of it. Stanley helpfully edited out Michelle's original hat idea, and his dress worked very well with the art piece, plus the bubble-wrap for the art piece was his idea. But either of them could have been chosen as the winner. Michelle seemed good about Stanley winning since they'd worked so well together, and she'd won the previous challenge. She probably wasn't that happy inside though about losing the prize money. Stanley should probably give her half of it.

Next week hopefully Layana and then Daniel are out. Clearly, the most talented are Michelle, Patricia and Stanley. But the problem will be how they pair the remaining designers and what the challenge is, and if they are back to one day which makes the challenges more difficult.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  20. duane

duane New Member

Layana's model has THE worst runway walk. How she got on the show is beyond me. She has very small steps, no strut whatsoever, and walks more like she's walking down a school hallway.

21. duane

duane New Member

Uh...okay. :confused:

22. skatesindreams

Layana's look was stunning, especially for a one-day challenge.
    Stanley's jacket was OK, the culottes not so much.
    Daniel's shorts; never fashion forward, and poorly constructed, IMO.

Michelle's ego! She won't listen.
    She's very lucky to have not been eliminated.

Patricia got less than no "help" from Richard.
    No wonder she was despairing.
    How did someone who can't sew get on PR, anyway?

23. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:rolleyes:Utterly BS episode, the producers are more and more blatant with their manipulations! Patricia should have been gone several episodes ago, that sad sack looked like a grade school craft project. I call BS on blaming Richard, yeah the guy can't sew, but she did much of the sewing herself and she did not do much better. I don't get the Patricia love at all, yeah she has some interesting ideas, but most of it comes off really artsy crafty and not at all fashion.

Layana's top was somewhat interesting, but not particularly well constructed and I am pretty sure I have seen that look before. The skirt was crappily sewn and ugly.

Daniel's look was just plain WTF? Although I think Nina was right, it might have worked better with a flowy skirt.

I thought Stanley's jacket looked dated, but the overall look was cute, but I don't think particularly editorial.

Michelle's look while not editorial was really cute and beautifully sewn.

For me the only two designers who have any business still being there are Michelle and Stanley. Everybody else is mediocre or just plain disastrous.

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

THIS.

Those round cut outs on the leather strips hanging on that "dress" looked like the result when a preschooler decides to cut snowflakes and doesn't know how to fold the paper first. And that had nothing to do with anyone's sewing skills or lack thereof; that was all her bad taste.

25. duane

duane New Member

I agree with Patricia's trainwreck of an outfit, but I felt bad that she was paired with Richard. And, aren't the remaining designers usually allowed to choose among all the ousted members? Why were just 5 brought back, meaning one designer would be stuck with the one no one picked (and of course it would be Richard)?

In the end, even with Patricia's trainwreck, I think Daniel should have been ousted. A yellow jacket with wings, paired with Daisy-Duke yellow shorts. UGH! It showed his continued inconsistency in taste. And with Michelle (tho I'm still confused how the episode ended), she did exactly what she was told not to do. Nina could not have been more clear in what the challenge was about, and Michelle totally ignored her. She was asking for it.

And wanted to say about Stanley...*SSHOLE! Imagine how awful it will be to work for him if he becomes a top designer!

26. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I thought Michelle or (shudder) possibly Layana should have been the winner last night. I don't know who I would have auffed. Patricia's trainwreck.....if you squint at it, you can see where she was going (she certainly didn't get there) and it was an interesting idea. Stanley's was a bit boring. Culottes? Really? Daniel, definitely some taste level issues.

I'm wondering what Michelle's "do or die" task will be. Probably something along the lines of "you have 15 minutes and a needle and thread and scissors. Convert the outfit you made into something editorial that is NOT a t-shirt and pants."

27. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

So this time the boring well-made outfit drew the short straw. I understand giving Patricia some leeway due to problems with Richard, but it would have been more fair to give her the "do or die" task than Michelle.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't understand why Zac Posen is in the show. I don't remember him giving a single interesting, constructive comment yet. It's a shame Georgina Chapman is not part of the show any more because she always gave very specific, constructive comments regarding the fit, the seams, the proportion and other things along those lines that actually matter.

It was incredibly well cut but it was almost exactly the same jacket as the one he's done before. And before. Yet he gets all the praise for it? One trick pony much?

And one week on, it was back to hideousville for Daniel.

I cannot believe that he wasn't sent home for that hideous, Sesame Street jacket. It was poorly constructed, it looked cheap and it looked like a costume. Ridiculous decision.

I guess producers want him in because he makes clothes that get talked about I guess?

Honestly...

It was incredibly cruel on the producers part to have Richard 'helping' one of the designers and of course Patricia 'drew' last. He was much more of a hindrance than of help. That look was never going to happen.

Patricia is the most original and creative designer this season. 'She didn't do much better' because her outfit wasn't finished. And it wasn't finished because her design could not have been completed because Richard doesn't know how to sew so she struggled and had no idea how to resolve this situation. And when exactly should she have gone home when other this disaster, she has pretty much always delivered?

29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Gotta spread rep around before I can give it to you again, Ziggy, but, yes, Patricia is THE most interesting and individual designer this season.

30. duane

duane New Member

I totally agree. I hope she makes it to fashion week, because I am so looking forward to seeing her show.