Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I think the first 4 seasons of PR were the best. This season is shaping up to be better than I thought, as the team concept for an entire season appears to be working quite well.

When the Dream Team was asked to pick two people from Keepin’ it Real, I thought for sure Daniel would be one of the two, and maybe Kate since she’d won the previous challenge. It’s quite interesting that Benjamin of DT was so perceptive and smart about the dynamics of the other team. Benjamin was on the mark about Stanley being the brains and maybe the glue behind KIR’s triple home-run success. Indeed it was Stanley who got DT on track to win Challenge 4, with his ideas for a cohesive design theme.

Everyone did good work for the Hardware and Flower Store Challenge. Perhaps the weakest designs were by Amanda, Joseph, Richard & Michelle, and Patricia. I thought Patricia might be in the bottom two, and I think Richard & Michelle were lucky not to be. Part of the difference may be that the models for Patricia and for Richard & Michelle really carried off those designs well on the runway, while Amanda’s and Joseph’s models had sad looks on their faces, as if they’d rather be anywhere else. Plus I think the producers and judges respect Patricia’s design aesthetic. Unfortunately for Amanda, everyone on her team dumped on her, maybe because of her attitude and perhaps they felt she wasn’t open to listening and also because many of them had to help her get the design to work. The dynamics will be interesting going forward with Amanda and her teammates.

I think Samantha was lucky to win because she struggled with her design right up to the final day. It seems that the judges were overly enamored of how she trapped the leaves in the wire netting. Kate also saved her design in the end. I thought Benjamin’s look was decent, but his model’s styling was not. Also, he was a bit over-ambitious with setting up the loom in the time frame given, but they were all fortunate to have two days instead of the usual one day. I’m glad Cindy was gone and did not participate in this Challenge. It seems that cruisin essentially was right (in the earlier pre-season 11 discussion in the other PR thread) and I was wrong about PR often picking older designers not necessarily because they think they’re good designers.

I agree that Tu’s design is excellent. Stanley’s look was very strong, and the styling of his model was good too. This was a difficult challenge to choose a winner and a loser, but I think the judges were fairly accurate letting Joseph go, although his design wasn’t horrible. His model sure didn’t help him, and I think the judges really didn’t like the unstructured fit of his design. Taking another look on the PR website, I love the lightness and unique qualities of Layana’s design, and I’d pick her for the win, with Tu second, Stanley third, Samantha fourth, and Kate fifth.

Next week, judging from the preview clip, it appears that the producers are going back to giving the designers one day to accomplish something, with not so good results.

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Both the fringy dresses were good - Amanda's was just a little too short, and Richard's had a little more sparkle.

I thought Benjamin's strapless clingy dress would look awful on Miranda. It would need a completely different construction to fit her properly.

Take a little fabric out of Stanley's skirt so it didn't poof from the waist, and it would be a great dress.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The designers have no idea of how to flatter a "curvy" figure like Miranda's.

4. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it would have been better if the designers had curvy models to work with. Most of them didn't seem to get the concept of fuller-figured at all. Although I did think most of the dresses were pretty, just not designed for Miranda.

5. skatesindreams

If they did we'd get more complaining about designing for "plus-sized" ladies.

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Miranda's people made sure any of that was edited out. And I'm not sure that she knows how to flatter her figure, either. So the designers can't really be blamed.

7. duane

duane New Member

I thought it was funny how some of the designers tried to act all excited when it was announced who they were designing for. Clearly they (like me) had no idea who Miranda was.

I thought Daniel's dress was awful! I think he was spared because of his previous work.

8. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Patricia's dress was hideous, surprised she was safe, but I guess her partner's dress was good enough to carry the team. I think Michelle or Daniel should have been aufed, both dresses were awful. Matthew's was totally wrong for the challenge, but at least it wasn't an over designed and dated mess. I thought Amanda's dress was the best of the top 4, it would have been more flattering on Miranda and the color was gorgeous.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I also think Amanda should have won. Richard's dress was fun but a little too OTT and tacky.

I agree that Matthew's outfit didn't look cheap and messy like Michelle's or Daniel's but I think it was the right decision to let him go. He's been having confidence issues all along and sabotaged himself. Why should he be given yet another chance?

It's interesting that at the beginning Daniel looked like the frontrunner to win.

But in the last challenge he's made a dress which had a very similar shape to his first (winning) outfit and now he's made a cheap, style-less mess that he thought was amazing.

Yes the handiwork was great but that top did not look flattering, especially for a curvy woman. And I could not believe he seriously did that big apparent seam straight down the middle. It just looked baaaaaaad. And the fringe...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I feel really pissed off. Amanda's dress was just a complete and utter disaster, which you could safely predict from the start given her attitude. I strongly feel that it's the producers that forced the decision to keep her in. She's opinionated, bitchy and provides great drama with her meltdowns. Benjamin's dress was badly fitted but it was nowhere near as much of a disaster as Amanda's.

I felt sorry for Tu. His design aesthetic is amazing but his idea was too ambitious and he ended up not having enough time to fit it properly. I love the chemistry between him and Kate. They really support each other. She showed how insecure she is when she said that her team didn't respect her but he does.

Good work from Daniel. Solid construction and some creative ideas. A big comeback.

I am glad Stanley won. Great design, very well made. Yes, there were some finishing issues but they had just one day so give him a break. Based on what they have made so far, I think he's the best designer this season. He has a sophisticated style and his garments are always impeccably constructed.

Definitely best season ever, the bitchiness is just :watch:.

I especially 'love' all of Michelle's bitchy put downs given everything she's created has been a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, Amanda knew she should have been the one to go for this challenge. Benjamin's dress had problems but the color was right for his client whom he got along with well (she certainly stood up for him). Amanda picked the wrong fabric and then was clueless about how to make it work.

Daniel's dress from last week was much worse than what Benjamin did this week. PR Teams is a catchy concept but it definitely helps save some designers who deserve to go home and sends others packing before they should be auf'ed.

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Amanda definitely should have been auf'ed for that confused mess she ended up with. Nothing about it was right. I'm trying to remember what she's made in past episodes but can't even remember what she sent down the runway last week.

13. skatesindreams

I can't believe that Rachel described that turquoise and black sack as the "most youthful"!

I didn't love Benjamin's dress; but, Amanda's was worse.
    I think that it's extremely difficult to execute a completely finished design in one day.

I really wonder about Heidi's "taste"; most of the things she "likes"/would wear, make me go "?????".

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  14. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Amanda definitely should have gone over Benjamin.

Michelle hasn't impressed me but she wasn't wrong with her bitchy comments about Patricia. Patricia has produced utter crap, especially the last two challenges. I am glad Heidi at least addressed this by calling her out for that utterly hideous shredded disaster. I felt sorry for her poor model.

15. PDilemma

I'm not sure Amanda designed that dress so much as that dress accidentally happened. Worst train wreck I've ever seen on this show in that there was no coherent plan involved. A lot of other train wrecks have been sent down the runway, but normally they are a) plans gone awry or b) exactly what the designer wanted in the first place.

She should have gone.

16. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Haven't seen the last two episodes, but I have to wonder about the overt racism towards Patricia, would this be tolerated against any other minority by the show producers or the audience?

:blah:

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The producers play it up and Patricia is happy to oblige. In name, PR is about being able to design many things, not just things that play to a specific theme. I can see why the other designers are perplexed that her less than successful stuff gets through, while better designs have been auf'd. IME, that's not racism.

18. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about people asking if she practices voodoo when she blesses herself with a feather, or when she uses her calls as many Tiwa women do. It's down right disrespectful and off putting.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The 'next week' segment where Kate said 'Michelle and Amanda are bitches' explained well why the producers decided to keep Amanda in.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  20. duane

duane New Member

Amanda's outfit was not only the clear train wreck among the group, but the hair and makeup chosen for the woman were equally bad. She made a very attractive mature woman downright ugly.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can watch another "I'm Amanda, woe is me" episode.

22. duane

duane New Member

Why have a prom dress challenge when the judges know nothing about what girls today wear to the prom? Nina said girls no longer wear long dresses, which is not true and she had to be corrected by the guest judge. Still, Tu and Kate were penalized for designing a long dress (which was a nice dress, but simply a boring color). And, the students' vote didn't seem to matter. They chose Patricia/Samantha's prom dress as their top choice, and tho the judges had nothing but praise for it, they voted Michelle/Amanda's dress as the winner (and the students didn't seem to like that dress at all).

I actually liked all the dresses! I thought Daniel/RIchard's dress was actually sexy, and the girl's hair and makeup were awesome. She looked the most stunning on the runway. I understood why the students liked Patricia/Sam's unique outfit. Again, I thought the color was boring, but liked Tu/Kate's old-Hollywood-glamour dress. I would have chosen Stanley/Layana as the winner, and the winning dress as the loser. I can see a quirky, rocker chick wearing it, but NO one else.

23. skatesindreams

Michelle/Amanda's dress wasn't a "Prom" dress at all.
    The "judges" ignored the challenge, IMO.

Some girls view and use Prom as their first opportunity to dress in "evening"/red carpet dresses.
    It's why you see a fair number of long gowns there, Nina!

24. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Not happy about the judging last night. They're still blinded by Daniel's early success. He's this season's Ven - a 'one way monkey' (tm Dimitry). :p That gold mess was crap. No clue how Layana and Stanley skated by either. I was hoping no one would go home, but it seemed Nina hated Kate & Tu's creation. Pretty stunned here at the double elimination.

I HATE the team concept. If they're going to do teams, then bring in pairs with matching aesthetics so we get decent designs with both points of view recommended. There are very successful designing duos out there and this show could find the next Marchesa (or those hillbilly guys from a few seasons ago). :shuffle:

25. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I agree with Tom and Lorenzo that two non-American women who've never even been to a prom really shouldn't be voting on a prom challenge. I really liked Kate and Tu's dress and would have worn that at my own prom.

26. duane

duane New Member

I'm curious how the students ranked the other dresses. We were only told their top choice. I suspect Kate and Tu's ranked high.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I disliked the losing dress and was fine with it losing, but mostly because it's kind of a blah "formal/wedding" silhouette every designer of formalwear ever has done three hundred times (of course I think mermaids and trumpets should just be banned on principle as being generally unflattering and overused) and they had a every color duct tape comes in to pick from and picked a really blah blue? That was not teal. Also not a fan of the gold one as the combination of the color/shine, length, and questionable fit of the bodice (which wasn't really their fault as it's freakin' duct tape) made it come across as what trashy girls from the "Gypsies" and Jersey shows would wear out. A different color/s and oh, I don't know, producers A LITTLE MORE TIME and it would have been fine.

I don't HATE the "winning" dress, except the "cutouts", and whether it's good for "prom" or not, whatever, what gets put out in the juniors' section for prom seasons is mostly crap anyway so at least it was different, a decent shape, and I think red and black is nice, but it wasn't as nice or as innovative or as REALLY a challenging use of the "fabric" as Patricia and Samantha's dress. The only possible problem I could see with that would be the shape/length in front might not be allowed at some proms but it's not like half the panel knew that. The more I saw it, the more I liked it. The use of the duct tape "ombre" was really neat, not to mention a lot of work--yeah, by comparison the top wasn't exciting, but it kept the dress from being too busy. And as said, the students liked it best, the judges praised it to no end, it fit the model better than the "winner"....so......producer interference? That's my only guess.

28. PDilemma

I think it is often less "producer interference" than "editing interference". When Tim did his video blog one season, he often would say that the judges had praised or dissed something much more than what we saw. I think they often show them praising one more than the winner and dissing one more than the loser in order to keep the results a "surprise" for the viewers. I always assume anything getting completely trashed by the judges will not lose and anything getting over the top praised will not win. Remember the judging discussions go on much longer than the tiny bit we get to see.

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Except that means...the producers (who make those editing decisions) really want us to hate the judges? That's about all that kind of "surprise" is ultimately going to accomplish. And given the winning team includes one, arguably two, people who are here for producer-interference reasons when they could have been easily eliminated already...yeah, I'm suspicious, that or they fudged which ones were popular with the students.

30. PDilemma

Yes. They do want you to hate the judges or at least one or two of them. (See also, Idol, American and Cowell, Simon).

Tim's vlogs the one season he did them and some info in his books really indicate that the producers manipulate the challenges much more than the judging. And that is very much how reality television generally operates. Fan cries of "the producers chose" are a reaction to results they don't like but are a bit naive as producer manipulation is primarily focused elsewhere. If they can manipulate everything else, they don't have to manipulate the actual results. That takes care of itself.