Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, Amanda knew she should have been the one to go for this challenge. Benjamin's dress had problems but the color was right for his client whom he got along with well (she certainly stood up for him). Amanda picked the wrong fabric and then was clueless about how to make it work.

Daniel's dress from last week was much worse than what Benjamin did this week. PR Teams is a catchy concept but it definitely helps save some designers who deserve to go home and sends others packing before they should be auf'ed.
  2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Amanda definitely should have been auf'ed for that confused mess she ended up with. Nothing about it was right. I'm trying to remember what she's made in past episodes but can't even remember what she sent down the runway last week.
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I can't believe that Rachel described that turquoise and black sack as the "most youthful"!

I didn't love Benjamin's dress; but, Amanda's was worse.
    I think that it's extremely difficult to execute a completely finished design in one day.

I really wonder about Heidi's "taste"; most of the things she "likes"/would wear, make me go "?????".
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Amanda definitely should have gone over Benjamin.

Michelle hasn't impressed me but she wasn't wrong with her bitchy comments about Patricia. Patricia has produced utter crap, especially the last two challenges. I am glad Heidi at least addressed this by calling her out for that utterly hideous shredded disaster. I felt sorry for her poor model.
  5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Amanda designed that dress so much as that dress accidentally happened. Worst train wreck I've ever seen on this show in that there was no coherent plan involved. A lot of other train wrecks have been sent down the runway, but normally they are a) plans gone awry or b) exactly what the designer wanted in the first place.

She should have gone.
  6. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Haven't seen the last two episodes, but I have to wonder about the overt racism towards Patricia, would this be tolerated against any other minority by the show producers or the audience?

:blah:
  7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The producers play it up and Patricia is happy to oblige. In name, PR is about being able to design many things, not just things that play to a specific theme. I can see why the other designers are perplexed that her less than successful stuff gets through, while better designs have been auf'd. IME, that's not racism.
  8. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about people asking if she practices voodoo when she blesses herself with a feather, or when she uses her calls as many Tiwa women do. It's down right disrespectful and off putting.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The 'next week' segment where Kate said 'Michelle and Amanda are bitches' explained well why the producers decided to keep Amanda in.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  10. duane

duane New Member

Amanda's outfit was not only the clear train wreck among the group, but the hair and makeup chosen for the woman were equally bad. She made a very attractive mature woman downright ugly.
  11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can watch another "I'm Amanda, woe is me" episode.
  12. duane

duane New Member

Why have a prom dress challenge when the judges know nothing about what girls today wear to the prom? Nina said girls no longer wear long dresses, which is not true and she had to be corrected by the guest judge. Still, Tu and Kate were penalized for designing a long dress (which was a nice dress, but simply a boring color). And, the students' vote didn't seem to matter. They chose Patricia/Samantha's prom dress as their top choice, and tho the judges had nothing but praise for it, they voted Michelle/Amanda's dress as the winner (and the students didn't seem to like that dress at all).

I actually liked all the dresses! I thought Daniel/RIchard's dress was actually sexy, and the girl's hair and makeup were awesome. She looked the most stunning on the runway. I understood why the students liked Patricia/Sam's unique outfit. Again, I thought the color was boring, but liked Tu/Kate's old-Hollywood-glamour dress. I would have chosen Stanley/Layana as the winner, and the winning dress as the loser. I can see a quirky, rocker chick wearing it, but NO one else.
  13. skatesindreams

Michelle/Amanda's dress wasn't a "Prom" dress at all.
    The "judges" ignored the challenge, IMO.

Some girls view and use Prom as their first opportunity to dress in "evening"/red carpet dresses.
    It's why you see a fair number of long gowns there, Nina!
  14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Not happy about the judging last night. They're still blinded by Daniel's early success. He's this season's Ven - a 'one way monkey' (tm Dimitry). :p That gold mess was crap. No clue how Layana and Stanley skated by either. I was hoping no one would go home, but it seemed Nina hated Kate & Tu's creation. Pretty stunned here at the double elimination.

I HATE the team concept. If they're going to do teams, then bring in pairs with matching aesthetics so we get decent designs with both points of view recommended. There are very successful designing duos out there and this show could find the next Marchesa (or those hillbilly guys from a few seasons ago). :shuffle:
  15. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I agree with Tom and Lorenzo that two non-American women who've never even been to a prom really shouldn't be voting on a prom challenge. I really liked Kate and Tu's dress and would have worn that at my own prom.
  16. duane

duane New Member

I'm curious how the students ranked the other dresses. We were only told their top choice. I suspect Kate and Tu's ranked high.
  17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I disliked the losing dress and was fine with it losing, but mostly because it's kind of a blah "formal/wedding" silhouette every designer of formalwear ever has done three hundred times (of course I think mermaids and trumpets should just be banned on principle as being generally unflattering and overused) and they had a every color duct tape comes in to pick from and picked a really blah blue? That was not teal. Also not a fan of the gold one as the combination of the color/shine, length, and questionable fit of the bodice (which wasn't really their fault as it's freakin' duct tape) made it come across as what trashy girls from the "Gypsies" and Jersey shows would wear out. A different color/s and oh, I don't know, producers A LITTLE MORE TIME and it would have been fine.

I don't HATE the "winning" dress, except the "cutouts", and whether it's good for "prom" or not, whatever, what gets put out in the juniors' section for prom seasons is mostly crap anyway so at least it was different, a decent shape, and I think red and black is nice, but it wasn't as nice or as innovative or as REALLY a challenging use of the "fabric" as Patricia and Samantha's dress. The only possible problem I could see with that would be the shape/length in front might not be allowed at some proms but it's not like half the panel knew that. The more I saw it, the more I liked it. The use of the duct tape "ombre" was really neat, not to mention a lot of work--yeah, by comparison the top wasn't exciting, but it kept the dress from being too busy. And as said, the students liked it best, the judges praised it to no end, it fit the model better than the "winner"....so......producer interference? That's my only guess.
  18. PDilemma

I think it is often less "producer interference" than "editing interference". When Tim did his video blog one season, he often would say that the judges had praised or dissed something much more than what we saw. I think they often show them praising one more than the winner and dissing one more than the loser in order to keep the results a "surprise" for the viewers. I always assume anything getting completely trashed by the judges will not lose and anything getting over the top praised will not win. Remember the judging discussions go on much longer than the tiny bit we get to see.
  19. danceronice

Except that means...the producers (who make those editing decisions) really want us to hate the judges? That's about all that kind of "surprise" is ultimately going to accomplish. And given the winning team includes one, arguably two, people who are here for producer-interference reasons when they could have been easily eliminated already...yeah, I'm suspicious, that or they fudged which ones were popular with the students.
  20. PDilemma

Yes. They do want you to hate the judges or at least one or two of them. (See also, Idol, American and Cowell, Simon).

Tim's vlogs the one season he did them and some info in his books really indicate that the producers manipulate the challenges much more than the judging. And that is very much how reality television generally operates. Fan cries of "the producers chose" are a reaction to results they don't like but are a bit naive as producer manipulation is primarily focused elsewhere. If they can manipulate everything else, they don't have to manipulate the actual results. That takes care of itself.
  21. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

If you read the blogs by past contestants they mention producer interference all the time. It seems like it is not a secret that goes on. Personally I absolutely hated the "winning"
    dress and was fully expecting those two to be in the bottom. I teach in a high school, and no girls I know would have been caught dead in that thing. Kate & Tu should not have been sent home, but rather the two guys who did the gold dress should have. Girls here in the midwest love wearing gowns to prom. Nina needs to get out more. The "jiffy pop" dress was pretty garish, too. I am pretty frustrated with the judging this season. At this point I have no idea who is going to make it to the final.

On a superficial note, Michelle's tattoos are some of the ugliest I have ever seen. Why would she brand herself with black circles up the insides of both arms?? :scream:
  22. madm

madm Active Member

I helped my daughter put on the first ever prom fashion show at her high school in Colorado 5 years ago, and I'd say 80% of the dresses were long. Nina is soooo wrong. Girls love to dress up and look formal and wear corsages. Our dresses were on loan from David's Bridal and another local small boutique. The guys tuxes and suits were on loan from Al's Formalwear. Since these shops cater to bridal events, it's no wonder that many of the guys and girls choose to look more formal. They just buy or rent something they can dance in.
  23. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I love the idea of Nina Garcia "getting out" and spending time with high school girls in the Midwest. :)
  24. PDilemma

Prom is long gowns. Homecoming is when they wear the short cute dresses. Nina seems to think that girls under 18 who are not models are all dressing like 12 year olds. I've noticed that on any challenge that involves younger looks. But I also think all the judges tend to have a myopic New York high fashion viewpoint that becomes a detriment when a challenge is at all related to people outside that narrow world.
  25. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I didn't understand the long dress comment either. When I was in high school, I never considered a short dress. The highest the dress was an inch below the knee. During prom season, there aren't too many short dresses even offered because girls don't want them.

IME, Homecoming/Valentine's Day/Winter Formal/other formal occasion dresses follow trends, but prom is CLASSIC. It's long dresses, it's flowy, and for many schools in the South, the senior girl dresses are white. It's most girls' only chance to live out a red-carpet fantasy and you do not look like the Quee of Hearts on the red carpet unless you're Helena Bonham Carter. For the most part, senior girls want to look older and done up and adult.

I did not see a single look that an actual 17/18 year old girl would want to wear to prom. I don't even think they would be appropriate for Winter Formal in a lot of schools. Most of them looked like something the drama kids would wear for five minutes to Homecoming; it's not a bad look, but it's not what's going to appeal to most senior girls. It was telling when they admitted they did not go to prom. PR should stop with the "everyman" challenges since they're all clearly out of touch with what every day people want and consider appropriate/practical.
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was confused about the whole short/long dress debate. I will say that the length of Kate/Tu's dress didn't sink it for me. I just found it ultra boring. I wasn't sad to see Kate go home this week either. She came across as extremely annoying and superior.
  27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This result was just total bullshit.

Daniel and Richard keep making cheesy, tacky, drag queen clothes yet they are still in? Obviously it's the producers' choice. They wanted to keep them in because they are camp, funny and OTT which makes good TV.

Whilst I feel a bit sorry for Kate being so insecure, her aesthetic was not up to this level and it wasn't wrong to see her go.

I feel really sad for Tu, though.

I thought he was the strongest designer here, by far, and he could have possibly won the whole thing if not for Kate turning him into her puppet.

Having said that, it's a tough world out there. He has to be able to stand up for himself.

I also think that Patricia should have been the winner of this challenge. Their dress was different, innovative and the fabric manipulation was awesome (this is what makes Patricia stand out). And the students liked it the most.

Michelle and Amanda's dress wasn't bad but it too much like a costume, for me. As Tu said, it's prom and not Halloween. :p
  28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. It didn't help Kate that she admitted during the broadcast that she didn't want to work with anyone but Tu. Therefore, once Tu was auf'ed, I guess the producers felt they should just send her packing as well. Tu was very talented and sweet but not assertive and somewhat indecisive. I think many of the designers need an extra day for most of these challenges. The duck tape selection/ color seems to be what majorly hurt Tu and Kate in the end.

After all the angst, Patricia and Samantha came up with a cool and different outfit. I like how Stanley and Layana pulled their design together. Daniel and Richard hogging the gold duck tape did them no favors. Michelle and Amanda had fun and worked well together, but their dress was not for the prom. Michelle has a strange aesthetic. Patricia vibes to the tune of her own drummer and isn't much appreciated by the other designers, but she manages to pull things out that seem dicey in the beginning, altho' she's had a couple of misses too.

The top three and who wins is anyone's guess at this point. But maybe it'll be Stanley, Layana and Patricia who'll be the final three left standing. It's generally all over the place with team challenges. There are 8 left, so it'll be interesting to see how the team concept will be handled as the designers are further weeded out.
  29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Stanley is my only safe bet for the top 3 because he's just so solid and consistent. His designs are always stylish and he is always in full control. He never doubts himself, never breaks down, there's never any drama. He's rock solid.
  30. skatesindreams

These NYC people don't know what "Prom" means.

If they were going to choose something non-traditional, her dress should have been the one.
  31. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

But it wasn't a Prom dress challenge, it was a Duct Tape Prom Dress Challenge. If you look at the past Duct Tape challenge outfits, most of them are really out there. They make the PR winning dress seem tame.
  32. skatesindreams

However, they sent the designers to a setting where students were seeking Prom-worthy looks; and asked them for input.
    The duct-tape was the material they were to use to make them.
  33. danceronice

Yep. I thought the shape was blah (again, HATE mermaids and trumpets) and of all the colors they had as options they picked Clinical-Depression Blue. And being made of duct tape just emphasized how restrictive that shape is.

I don't think Nina and Heidi are any more clueless about prom than they are about...well, anything a normal human being would wear. See Heidi's obsession with clothing so shiny and tight there are streetwalkers who'd be like "That's a bit much." Look at previous comments on things like "what a person would want to wear to a resort." It's hardly surprisingly they're not clued into prom; they're not clued into what anyone but a teeny-tiny closed subset of the population wears. At least their replacement for Kors (Zac Posen? Am I right? I'm not paying all that much attention this season) is, if not mitigating it, not jumping in like the Kors was.

Patricia wuzrobbed on this one. But I don't have a problem with Kate and Tu getting sent packing.
  34. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Tu is so sweet. Too sweet to be on reality TV.
  35. duane

duane New Member

This episode is SOOOOOO bad.
  36. PDilemma

YES. I believe this wins worst PR challenge ever.
  37. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

What an unholy mess! :wideeyes: :eek: :scream: I agree with Heidi, they should ALL go home.
  38. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing. I fast forwarded from the challenge introduction to the auf.

I understand Bunim/Murray adding some eye candy given the audience, but this challenge was ridiculous. Who but Chris March could design for this? Gimme some men's clothing that looks like office wear (but doesn't look boring) that fits overly developed men. Oh, and by the way, it has to be tearaway.
  39. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

And do it in a day.

Remember when one-day challenges were the exception, not the norm? Once upon a time, Project Runway was about showing what designers could accomplish when given challenging assignments and difficult constraints. Now it seems like they are given ridiculous challenges -- design tearaway menswear for non-model sizes or design a prom (but not really!) dress -- with impossible constraints, usually of one day or less. Oh, and do it in teams where you also have to make things cohesive with people who have completely different design aesthetics and who have been paired with you at random or by judges who have done so to deliberately create conflict.

I hate how far this show has sunk. I want to see talented designers show off their talents. But we can't see what the designers can do because they never have a chance to show their skills. They get 30 minutes of "sketch" time in which they are supposed to measure models, figure out their design with their "team," and plan a design. So nothing gets thought out. Then they have to rush to buy fabric. And then they get a few hours to throw something together. So the result is an unfinished mess that the judges rip to shreds. Maybe these designers are fabulously talented and are as good as some of Project Runway's best, but I don't think we will ever know. Frankly, I don't think the best designers of the early seasons would have been able to shine in these current challenges.

Also, one of the common complaints I keep hearing about this season is that the designers are not interesting and there is too much of a "mean girl" vibe from some of the women. But I think a larger part of that is because they are even more stressed that in other seasons due to the constant one-day challenges and the team structure. Moreover, with such short challenges, we don't get that much time in the work room watching the design process. So we aren't really seeing much of the creative process, which is part of what has made past designers interesting. I also think the team structure encourages the bitchiness. It pushes the designers to talk about other designers a lot more, because: (1) their possible fate is tied to the quality of the product their teammate produces; (2) designers have to think about who they might be teamed with in the future. So where, in the past, Designer A might have only made an occasional comment about Designer B's design before a runway -- and it probably would have come across as a funny "I don't know what he/she was thinking" -- now we get weekly bits of Designer A saying: "I hope Designer B" is not on my team"; "Damn, I'm paired with Designer B"; "Designer B and I have such different aesthetics, I don't think this is working"; "If we are in the bottom because of Designer B, I will not be happy"; and scenes where Designer A appears annoyed and abrupt with Designer B during the process. The result is that Designer A looks like a bitch and Designer B looks like an incompetent mess.
  40. danceronice

I can't rep reckless. Someone rep reckless, please?

I just rewatched some of season 2, with Chloe and Santino and Daniel and even Where's Andrae and...the stuff was so much better! Because THEY HAD MORE TIME. Given how recently some of the final collections, and decoy collections from losing designers, have been ten times better than anything they did on the actual show, I think the "one-day" format is absolutely causing some talented designers to look like hacks. I don't think the team format is necessarily as much at fault as just the TINY amount of time they have to go from being told their challenge to finishing the dress. It really kills 'real-person' challenges or menswear with designers who've never done it-they barely have time to fit a model with whom they're already familiar.