Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Catching up on PR: Teams. I don't know if I'm going to like it, but I applaud giving Michael "Disco Ball" Cors the heave-ho in favor of Zach Posen, who has not said anything interesting but nothing entertainingly dumb either.

Agreed with the loser. The guy with the fake blonde hair probably kills people in new and creative ways, while always looking classic but with an edge.
  2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I find Cindy to be a total whiner. Shut up and sew, lady.
  3. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I haven't liked much of anything the Nightmare Team has done so far. I wonder if their members will continue to be eliminated each week until they're down to one person.
  4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I watched this tonight and have already forgotten most of it. The losing outfit really did deserve the auf. I hope that Whorosov does not watch the show and decide to put Elena in something like it.
  5. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

This was definitely one of their more blah challenges, obviously done only so they could get Susan Sarandon on the show. I do feel sorry for the couple of good designers on Team Nightmare and hope they have team shake-ups after a while.
  6. duane

duane New Member

The problem with the team concept is that having less members isn't a bad bad, and having more members isn't a good thing. I'm thinking now that Keeping It Real has two more members, perhaps they will have to pick one to send to the other team? Likely the annoying, talkative one?
  7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'd send someone home just for calling the team "Keeping it Real". :kickass:

Not sure if I like anyone on this show yet, but I'll keep watching. Blond guy annoys me. I'm starting to love Mustache Man. And the female designer who wore that bright woven pot holder dress - I want it!!!
  8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Not sure about Zac Posen yet, but I am glad it's not Isaac Mizrahi.
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My observations:
    I find it quite odd that there are investors who are willing to fund a business based on table tennis + booze.
    I find it odd that the creator of the slogan "ball are our business" is offended when the slogan gets twisted.
    I find it odd that Susan Sarandon subscribes to the Hooters school of hiring.
    In summary, I found the whole episode odd.
    tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  10. duane

duane New Member

Ditto, though that silly looking mustache kills me!
  11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the talented designers to come to the forefront, instead of waiting for the "weak links" to be auffed.
    Not sure I like the "team" concept for PR.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This is AMAZING.

Why didn't they think of it before? Everybody hates team challenges so we get drama and bitching from the get go! :cheer:

And observing the relationships is really interesting.

I thought that Keeping It Real would kill each other with all those egos but good communication and reaching out to others has led them to success.

On the other hand, Nightmare Team is just a bunch of really disturbed, insecure wrecks with poor social skills.

Emily just crashed from the get go and didn't do anything.

James - serious issues. Shutting in, not communicating, not listening.

Benjamin tries too much "to help" when in fact he just wants to control and he's not helping, he pissing everybody off.

Cindy - what is she even doing there? Zero taste, zero fashion sense, very defensive.

They don't support each other enough and to me Benjamin is the worst. He might be experienced and he might think he's helping but he's just trying to take charge of everything and guess what, he couldn't even make a simple pair of shorts (they were so badly fitted!) as a result. They should have booted him.

My favourite Project Runway season so far. :watch:

But they have! Daniel's pieces are impeccably structured and tailored. And you see some strong craftsmanship and some good ideas from some other designers as well.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

On another note, I've been really disappointed with the producers', I mean the judges' :p, decisions so far.

In the first episode, Emily did fall apart and not finish her clearly too ambitious piece but she had a great concept and certainly didn't lack artistic vision.

Cindy has zero creativity and vision and should be sent packing straight away.

I would have also given the victory to Patricia since her piece was the most interesting. Daniel's craftsmanship was incredible but looked like a million other high fashion French designs. That decision I could live with though.

In the second episode, Cindy showed zero creativity again and they let her stay again?

And the winning piece? It looked like a stereotypical French maid uniform. I thought that both the ball boy and the male server uniform from the winning team were much better. I would have given the first place to the ball boy, personally.
  14. duane

duane New Member

I agree that either one deserved the win. I liked the all-black uniform better, and the guy looked smokin hot wearing it.

Tonight, I know Cindy was yet again in the bottom, but Benjamin's outfit was AWFUL!! It was SOOO bad.
  15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

They need to shake up the teams. The Nightmare Team has so many losers and dead weight, it's just not fair. Benjamin and his ever-changing vaguely Brittish accent needs TO GO. He's not a good manager, and he's a worse designer.
  16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Took a look at the finale collections. To my eyes, there were only two good ones. Not promising!
  17. skatesindreams

He acts as though he's "God's gift" to PR; and he's not done anything that would justify that opinion, thus far.
    What is his "real world" background?
    Could he have "exaggerated" his credentials?
  18. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

It's a nice attempt, PR, but this season still probably won't be as bad as Amazing Race: Family Edition.
  19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I wanted to send Cindy home the first week as well so I'm not sad to see her go. I only wish she could have packed Benjamin up and taken him with her. That dress was awful...

I like members of both teams, but lots of folks on Keepin' it Real annoy me. When I saw Patricia's look I thought for sure it would be a flop. What were those gold things on the skirt? And the top vest looking thing looked too casual and wrinkled somehow. I don't get the appeal.

Did they mention how they chose the winner considering that the winning look was designed by 2 people?
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'm angry at the result again. Cindy should have gone home week one. I don't understand why they have kept her in for so long.

She is a dressmaker, she is NOT a fashion designer. She has absolutely zero taste.

Benjamin should have gone home. Once again, he totally failed at time management and he produced something that you couldn't even call a dress. The model was just wrapped around in fabric with her boobs hanging out. Jesus Christ.

Patricia got totally shafted. I cannot believe that they haven't chosen her look for Heidi to wear in the press event. Daniel's dress was well-crafted but boring as hell. Patricia's dress was original, unique and had the wow factor. But they went with something safe. :(
  21. skatesindreams

At least Cindy had construction skills; that's more than you could say for Benjamin; and some others.
    Her aesthetic/taste level wasn't "fashion forward" enough for PR.
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh but Benjamin's construction skills are his strongest point, don't you know? And that fabulous "roll around in the hay" dress of his had some fabulous construction going on but unfortunately you couldn't see it beneath all that crap his model was wrapped with. What a shame. :p
  23. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:eek: you named the season that must not be named! go outside, turn around three times and spit. What the hell is the matter with you? West Wing nerddom :p

nothing can top that awfulness of that season.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I actually agreed with the judges on 1st and last again. That doesn't happen too often. Although my bottom two would have included Patricia instead of Mossgirl.
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I liked all of Dream Teams. Really pretty. I liked Layana's best. Samantha's skirt was cool, but there was an unfinished look about it.
  26. duane

duane New Member

Bette Midler was a cool judge!

I'm glad the lack of cohesion made Keeping It Real the losing team. The outfits had no cohesion, and the 'decades' argument (while a clever cover) didn't wash.

Great comeback for Samantha. She was totally lost, but ended up making an awesome outfit.
  27. skatesindreams

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This was the best Project Runway episode I can remember. The quality of the designs was just incredible.

And this season is the best ever by far, in general. The group dynamics make it so much more interesting.

Daniel did exactly the same shape as in week one, I'm surprised judges didn't pick up on that.

I am not happy about the result. Layana's dress was just impeccably crafted. But it's Tu who really got overlooked. He had the best design, in my opinion. The construction of the vest was out of this world and the dress flowed beautifully and it did look like it was made of feathers.

Really really bummed for Joe. He's super creative and I feel he's going because his view of fashion is very avant-garde and not very commercial. And it was him who actually saved Amanda's look! If not for him, she would have had the worst look by far. So it's really not fair, he's the one who is going. Another thing is why did she use the moss? She should have gone with her original idea, which would have worked much much better.

I would have sent Michelle or Richard home for that uninspired piece of trash. And omg, Michelle STFU PLEASE ALREADY.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

So I know ANOTHER person on Project Runway?? I know Matthew! This guy I only knew of but he worked at the same salon as my best friend and we would often see him out and they would always talk. I had no idea he even designed clothes. lol
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He's so cute! :swoon:
  31. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I think the first 4 seasons of PR were the best. This season is shaping up to be better than I thought, as the team concept for an entire season appears to be working quite well.

When the Dream Team was asked to pick two people from Keepin’ it Real, I thought for sure Daniel would be one of the two, and maybe Kate since she’d won the previous challenge. It’s quite interesting that Benjamin of DT was so perceptive and smart about the dynamics of the other team. Benjamin was on the mark about Stanley being the brains and maybe the glue behind KIR’s triple home-run success. Indeed it was Stanley who got DT on track to win Challenge 4, with his ideas for a cohesive design theme.

Everyone did good work for the Hardware and Flower Store Challenge. Perhaps the weakest designs were by Amanda, Joseph, Richard & Michelle, and Patricia. I thought Patricia might be in the bottom two, and I think Richard & Michelle were lucky not to be. Part of the difference may be that the models for Patricia and for Richard & Michelle really carried off those designs well on the runway, while Amanda’s and Joseph’s models had sad looks on their faces, as if they’d rather be anywhere else. Plus I think the producers and judges respect Patricia’s design aesthetic. Unfortunately for Amanda, everyone on her team dumped on her, maybe because of her attitude and perhaps they felt she wasn’t open to listening and also because many of them had to help her get the design to work. The dynamics will be interesting going forward with Amanda and her teammates.

I think Samantha was lucky to win because she struggled with her design right up to the final day. It seems that the judges were overly enamored of how she trapped the leaves in the wire netting. Kate also saved her design in the end. I thought Benjamin’s look was decent, but his model’s styling was not. Also, he was a bit over-ambitious with setting up the loom in the time frame given, but they were all fortunate to have two days instead of the usual one day. I’m glad Cindy was gone and did not participate in this Challenge. It seems that cruisin essentially was right (in the earlier pre-season 11 discussion in the other PR thread) and I was wrong about PR often picking older designers not necessarily because they think they’re good designers.

I agree that Tu’s design is excellent. Stanley’s look was very strong, and the styling of his model was good too. This was a difficult challenge to choose a winner and a loser, but I think the judges were fairly accurate letting Joseph go, although his design wasn’t horrible. His model sure didn’t help him, and I think the judges really didn’t like the unstructured fit of his design. Taking another look on the PR website, I love the lightness and unique qualities of Layana’s design, and I’d pick her for the win, with Tu second, Stanley third, Samantha fourth, and Kate fifth.

Next week, judging from the preview clip, it appears that the producers are going back to giving the designers one day to accomplish something, with not so good results.
  32. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Both the fringy dresses were good - Amanda's was just a little too short, and Richard's had a little more sparkle.

I thought Benjamin's strapless clingy dress would look awful on Miranda. It would need a completely different construction to fit her properly.

Take a little fabric out of Stanley's skirt so it didn't poof from the waist, and it would be a great dress.
  33. skatesindreams

The designers have no idea of how to flatter a "curvy" figure like Miranda's.
  34. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it would have been better if the designers had curvy models to work with. Most of them didn't seem to get the concept of fuller-figured at all. Although I did think most of the dresses were pretty, just not designed for Miranda.
  35. skatesindreams

If they did we'd get more complaining about designing for "plus-sized" ladies.
  36. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Miranda's people made sure any of that was edited out. And I'm not sure that she knows how to flatter her figure, either. So the designers can't really be blamed.
  37. duane

duane New Member

I thought it was funny how some of the designers tried to act all excited when it was announced who they were designing for. Clearly they (like me) had no idea who Miranda was.

I thought Daniel's dress was awful! I think he was spared because of his previous work.
  38. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Patricia's dress was hideous, surprised she was safe, but I guess her partner's dress was good enough to carry the team. I think Michelle or Daniel should have been aufed, both dresses were awful. Matthew's was totally wrong for the challenge, but at least it wasn't an over designed and dated mess. I thought Amanda's dress was the best of the top 4, it would have been more flattering on Miranda and the color was gorgeous.
  39. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I also think Amanda should have won. Richard's dress was fun but a little too OTT and tacky.

I agree that Matthew's outfit didn't look cheap and messy like Michelle's or Daniel's but I think it was the right decision to let him go. He's been having confidence issues all along and sabotaged himself. Why should he be given yet another chance?

It's interesting that at the beginning Daniel looked like the frontrunner to win.

But in the last challenge he's made a dress which had a very similar shape to his first (winning) outfit and now he's made a cheap, style-less mess that he thought was amazing.

Yes the handiwork was great but that top did not look flattering, especially for a curvy woman. And I could not believe he seriously did that big apparent seam straight down the middle. It just looked baaaaaaad. And the fringe...
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I feel really pissed off. Amanda's dress was just a complete and utter disaster, which you could safely predict from the start given her attitude. I strongly feel that it's the producers that forced the decision to keep her in. She's opinionated, bitchy and provides great drama with her meltdowns. Benjamin's dress was badly fitted but it was nowhere near as much of a disaster as Amanda's.

I felt sorry for Tu. His design aesthetic is amazing but his idea was too ambitious and he ended up not having enough time to fit it properly. I love the chemistry between him and Kate. They really support each other. She showed how insecure she is when she said that her team didn't respect her but he does.

Good work from Daniel. Solid construction and some creative ideas. A big comeback.

I am glad Stanley won. Great design, very well made. Yes, there were some finishing issues but they had just one day so give him a break. Based on what they have made so far, I think he's the best designer this season. He has a sophisticated style and his garments are always impeccably constructed.

Definitely best season ever, the bitchiness is just :watch:.

I especially 'love' all of Michelle's bitchy put downs given everything she's created has been a piece of crap. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013