Grishuk and Platov

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Xela M

Xela M New Member

It's my first post, so please be gentle :) It's going to be a bit of a muddled post, but I hope you'll be able to make sense of it...

I must admit I had a slight obsession with Grishuk & Platov in the 90's. I think it was Oksana (Pasha)'s incredible skating and Evgeny's elegant good looks that made them so irresistible to me. In my opinion, their speed and skating could not be matched and they were so exciting to watch they almost lit the ice on fire! However, I don't think there has ever been a more controversial ice dance pair that split opinions as much as they did.

Rather than discuss their skating, which I'm sure has been done on this board many times before, I had some questions about their tribulations off the ice and I thought the knowledgeable people on here would know a lot more gossip than me.

Obviously, Grishuk's affair with Alexander Zhulin is well known, but I have read some claims that she was also the cause of Platov's marriage break up and that Platov (indecently) propositioned both her and later Maya Usova. Both have turned him down :eek: Also, Grishuk has been linked to Alexei Urmanov. Does anyone know if any of this is true?

I don't know what all these women saw in Zhulin. Platov was so much more handsome. Although I thought it was awful that he left Grishuk the way he did (if Grishuk's claims in the press are to be believed) and I never liked Usova. Despite my slight crush on Platov I thought he and Usova were painfully boring to watch. I don't think he would have achieved anything without Grishuk.

Anyway, let me know what you all think :D
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Years ago, I once read an interview with Platov's ex-wife (who apparently was also a skater but not on the same level as he was) and she never mentioned anything about their marriage breaking up because of Grishuk. Of course, I cannot say for sure.
  3. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I can't now quote the source, but I remember Grishuk making some derogatory comments about Platov's wife at the time - that she was just an actress so her an Platov couldn't possibly have anything in common. I think in some later articles it was claimed that Platov made advances towards Grishuk, but she turned him down. Both assertions sound quite unbelievable!
  4. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Didn't also Grishuk once claim that Evgeni used to beat her and hit her on her womanly parts? She also claimed that Dubova attacked her with a butcher's knife. I also can't seem to source these articles so I can't be sure if Pasha/Oksana actually did claim these things or not but I guess you have to take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.
  5. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I think there was an incident when police were called during one of their training sessions and Grishuk said that Platov hit her. He admitted to slapping her because she was hysterical and he tried to calm her down, but he was never charged.
  6. Xela M

Xela M New Member

On a side note, I was quite surprised to find out what good friends Grishuk & Platov were with Krylova & Ovsyannikov. There are several videos of them together on youtube where they appear to be almost inseparable. Clearly it all went sour very quickly.
  7. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Maybe Evgeny got too into character practicing their 1993 FD? Maybe that's idiotic :p
  8. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I always felt sorry for her because of the way things turned out after the 1998 Olympics and obviously most people took Usova & Platov's side because of Grishuk's behaviour off the ice, but I think Tarasova wrote in her book about Grishuk that she was slightly mentally unstable, which could have been as a result of her upbringing. Her father left the family when Grishuk was very young and her mother moved to Germany with her new boyfriend leaving the little girl to fend for herself in Moscow. Ice skating was all she had and in a way Platov took that away from her by abandoning her after they have won 2 Olympic Golds. I very much doubt he would have achieved any of it without her.
  9. kittyhawk

kittyhawk New Member

I am not sure what you mean that Platov abandoned her. Wasn't she the one who wanted to have a Hollywood career right after Nagano? Of course he wouldn't have achieved those 2 golds without her. But she wouldn't have achieved those golds without him, either.
  10. Minou

Minou Member

Krykanova and Platov won Junior Worlds 3x.
  11. coraczek

coraczek Member

Platov must have been a saint. I can't imagine any other man would stand skating with Grishuk. Without him, she wouldn't have achieved such success.
  12. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I know Platov won juniors 3 times without Grishuk, but I have seen clips of his performances with other partners (before and after Grishuk) and they were virtually unwatchable! Grishuk's junior performances with her previous partner were not bad though. You could tell she had fire in her! Platov was an amazing partner and a beautiful man, but Grishuk is was made them special. Without her I feel he would have become part of one of those boring Usova/Zhulin type of couples. Grishuk had personality, and from what I have read, an iron will and hunger to win. Platov himself admitted in an interview that she made him work harder when he wanted to give up.
  13. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Exactly. He had to think about his post-amateur career. With her Hollywood aspirations, he had to get another partner.

I also think Oksana greatly improved when she partnered Platov. I found her promising during her junior days when her partner was Chickov but when she started skating under Dubova with Platov, I thought her edges, posture, and free leg extension improved significantly. This is especially apparent in their compulsories (not so much during their free dances when they skated under Natalia Linichuk).
  14. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

True but Grishuk isn't necessarily what made them special. Them being together as a team is what made them special. Platov had incredibly disciplined posture, line, and edging. Oksana probably knew that which is probably why she kept in contact with him after she was booted out of Dubova's group and kept insisting that he leave Dubova and reunite with her. Rumour had it that Dubova was deeply upset when Platov left her camp because she considered him to be one of the most talented skaters she ever coached. He was also a very special skater, just as much as Oksana was (albeit in different ways).
  15. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Obviously we will never know the truth, but I thought the consensus was that Platov planned on leaving Grishuk and partnering up with Usova even before they won in 1998. They were already rehearsing and he never even told Grishuk. She planned on skating with him professionally. Regardless of what a nightmare she was in those days it was quite foolish to split up and not enjoy the fruits of their hard labour. I think Evgeny himself said that he regretted making this decision so hastily.
  16. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Platov was a unique partner and maybe the best of all time, but I always thought Grishuk was the better skater in their partnership. She was also the one making all the decisions and forcing them on him (from what I have read and Platov's interviews). Without Grishuk he would have stayed with Dubova and waited his "turn" for a place at the top. Grishuk not only forced the coach change on him, but also made him skate to rock'n'roll - something he didn't want to do initially. We all know how that worked out :D
  17. coraczek

coraczek Member

That FD was so horrible. I still can't believe that such a dance gave them gold.
  18. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

The rock'n'roll FD looked very winning in that it was youthful and jazzy but choreographically, I found it be one of the weakest free dances they ever did. There were moments of brilliance but those moments were very poorly weaved together. And although it showed off their speed and power, it failed to show off their running edges, fluid handholds, and strong free legs. But that's more of a fault of Linichuk's choreography than with Grishuk & Platov as skaters. And personally for me, I thought Platov was more disciplined with his posture, line, and edging than Grishuk was. His free leg extension in particular was absolutely amazing.
  19. kittyhawk

kittyhawk New Member

I once read a translated interview with Platov's ex-wife Maria. It's been some time since I last read it, but IIRC, she never said Grishuk was the cause of their marriage's breakup. More like different life/career goals. I mean, his ex-wife was an actress based in Russia, while his skating career at the time meant training and doing shows in the US. Maria was actually quite complimentary of Grishuk as a skater.

I think that G/P spurred each other on and were stronger together than apart. While Grishuk may have encouraged him to fight on, there were certainly times when she was difficult to deal with. He has said in an interview that there were days when he and Tarasova would go to Grishuk’s house, bringing gifts/flowers to sort of ‘woo’ her into a better frame of mind for training. As for who the better skater was, I thought they were about equal until his injuries and subsequent surgeries. After that, Oksana was understandably better than him.

IMO, K/O and G/P’s friendship became strained because both pairs were aiming for gold. Today, Krylova and Platov both coach ice dance teams and are cordial towards each other.

I prefer G/P over U/P. I think the former has more spark. Everything I've read about the dissolution of G/P's partnership, gives me the impression of "he said, she said". The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Whatever G/P’s differences, they seem to have patched them up. They’ve skated together a few times in 2006, when they participated in the Russian version of Dancing On Ice.
  20. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

That doesn't surprise me. Remember her Marilyn Monroe wannabe phase? Somehow, she also lost her looks between the first and the second Olympics.
  21. coraczek

coraczek Member

Look at their FD from 1993 and say if you really think it's boring.
  22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Or any program prior to 1994.

There's more to having a successful partnership than being an excellent skater. You can have two outstanding skaters, but the partnerships may never work out due to different ideas in training, discipline, and how their dynamic functioned.

I think Grishuk was the stronger of the two in terms of the blade, but she would not have have succeeded without Platov due to a variety of issues. She knew she needed the stability he brought. He also had the ability to really present her well and brought a more refined line and carriage that Grishuk would not have had without him or a similar partner. Although I will say that I really did love the chemistry Grishuk had with Zhulin. Their routines were pretty hot and I thought their body-types matched more. However, would she have had the same results with Zhulin as she had with Platov? Who knows. We do know that Platov was essential to the success of their partnership.
  23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

24. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I have read (admittedly in some rubbish gossip magazine) that around 1992 Platov asked Grishuk to live with him as 'husband and wife' despite having a fiancé at the time, but she turned him down because she was in love with Zhulin (*vomit smiley*). Grishuk I believe has suggested in later interviews that Platov came on to her more than once, but she never fancied him. Marina could have probably moved to the US as she later did to be with Ilya Kulik(!) The fact that she didn't move to the US for Platov indicated to me that their marriage was already on the rocks.

The more shocking discovery was that Usova said in an interview that Platov wanted more than friendship from her and that she turned him down as well!! (What is wrong with all these women?! :wall:) When Platov was asked about it in an interview, he didn't really deny it (all he said was that some things should remain private and that Usova should not have opened up about it or something similar).

The 2006 reunion between Grishuk and Platov was beautiful, but very sad at the same time. They were both overweight (he in particular) and no longer as fast as they used to be. They could have made a fortune if they stayed together in 1998!
  25. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Haha! I've seen this before, but it doesn't really say anymore than has always been in the public domain. Plus, Grishuk and Zhulin's romance was quite short-lived because he started an affair with Navka very soon after Grishuk was kicked out by Dubova. Here is another video about the whole saga... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9iGnlrz5Us

I never liked Usova and her whole 'victim' image. Look at Katya Gordeeva - she suffered a REAL tragedy and could have completely fallen apart, but she turned out to be an incredibly strong woman. Usova should really get over her ex-husband cheating on her 20 years ago and not go on and on and on about it in every interview she gives. She even once said that she should have teamed up with Platov before the 1994 Olympics and they would have won... I doubt that somehow.

I never liked Usova & Zhulin. They were good skaters, but they didn't do anything other people hadn't done many times before. There was nothing memorable about them. The only reason people remember them as a couple is because their involvement in the Grishuk & Platov saga. I thought Grishuk was OK with Zhulin (better than Platov with Usova) but Zhulin was a much weaker partner than Platov, so Grishuk couldn't skate as fast as she wanted to with him. Plus he was not nearly as attractive as Platov.
  26. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

I always thought Zhulin was easy in the eyes back in the day, not that I would know. I saw him in the kiss & cry area a few times in Sochi. Now he looks like Don Rickles.
  27. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

Speaking of K&O vs. G&P wasn't there this rumor that once Angelika went psycho and had a meltdown at a competition about Pasha and started kicking the boards and had to be physically restrained? I do remember hearing about that.
  28. sequins

sequins New Member

:lol: Don Rickles!?! :rofl: I'll never look at Zhulin the same again.
  29. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I have always liked Platov and the two of them together were a good team, but I always go back to Grishuk with her other partner, Alexander Chekhov (sp?). I really adored that team and thought they would have gone far together considering how good they were compared to any other junior teams. When I saw her again a few years after jr worlds and she had linked up with Platov it took me a very long time to enjoy them.
  30. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Oksana's former partner's name is Chickov. Ironically, Platov and Grishuk and Chickov and Platov's former partner Krikanova are all from Odessa, Ukraine.

Grishuk & Chickov were pretty good but they were very much Linichuk skaters in that they were extremely aggressive, fast, and sharp skaters albeit moderately sloppy IMO relative to skaters from the Dubova camp. Platov was definitely more of a Dubova skater as he was much more about deep edging, free leg extension, and superlative neck & shoulder posture/line. I think Grishuk and Platov definitely learned from each other over the years and helped each other improve.
  31. neptune

neptune New Member

Do you realize how that statement sounds? Marital infidelity can cause scars that last a lifetime. Should Nancy Kerrigan just "get over" what happened to her too?? Perhaps Usova shouldn't talk about the matter in every interview, but if she's still devastated, it's hard to blame her for that.

I hadn't heard that Platov indecently propositioned both Grishuk and Usova. If true, then that's pretty scary. :eek:
  32. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=gk_891;4192711

Grishuk & Chickov were pretty good but they were very much Linichuk skaters in that they were extremely aggressive, fast, and sharp skaters albeit moderately sloppy Ider posture/line.

Sounds just like Bobrova/Soloviev:p
    I love Smooth Operator Unbreak my heart and Enigma :)
    An Enigma tYpe programme could be interesting for B/S :D

Absolutely nothing though beats You'll See ex Pasha's the real diva here :swoon:
  33. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I don't think Bobrova/Soloviev are even in the same league as Grishuk/Platov were. Bobrova isn't a good skater in my books. I liked "You'll See", but my favourite performance was "Libertango". It was just hot hot hot!
  34. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I know Usova must have been distraught by the whole situation at the time, but it is now over 20 years ago! She can't act the victim all her life.
  35. VIETgrlTerifa

Has she been acting like the victim recently?

I like this thread. It's like a relic of the height of the Pasha Brigade threads calling Usova "old wench". We just need Esta to start posting now.
  36. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Oh, good ole' times with all that hyperintense drama, slapping, wife swapping, going mad and kicking the boards! Why is the world of ice dance so sterile nowadays? ;)
  37. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Haha she has always come across as an old wench, which is why I was so disappointed with Platov dumping Grishuk for Usova. I have read a fairly recent-ish interview with Usova where she complained about the Russian version of 'Dancing on Ice' because Grishuk had a younger partner, so she won, whereas Usova's partner was much older which made her look riduculous.
  38. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I remember this too! From best friends the two couples turned into mortal enemies.
  39. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I love this description of Zhulin!!! :D Although I never understood why he was the Don Juan of the figure skating world
  40. VIETgrlTerifa

Sounds like Pasha causes all kinds of problems for other skaters.