Grey's Anatomy Thread - 2009

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Sep 25, 2009.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it too. "This isn't working for me," Arizona in bed with Callie and Mark. :D

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

lol yeah this was the best episode of the season so far. "this isn't working for me" had me lol'ing. same with Cristina's "don't cry on my ass" hahaha

I liked Cristina opening up to Owen more too.

3. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does sometimes Arizona sound like Mer sometimes? Her voice and the language??
    Loved Alex in Peds - hope they keep him there.

4. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I thought it was a great episode last night. I loved Alex working with Arizona in pediatrics. It reminds me of how good he was when he worked there with Addison a few season ago. :) I liked the Bailey/Meredith surgery story with the woman waking up during surgery (yeah, would have had a heart attack if that were me :eek: ) and I enjoyed Callie and Mark's conversations. I also loved Cristina's talk to Owen about how Burke took pieces of her personality away from her time after time until she wasn't Cristina Yang anymore (probably because I just got done watching the episodes around her and Burke's wedding and it's fresh in my head) and the scenes of her with the burns on her behind were hilarious. I'm excited to see what's coming next. :)

5. pixie cut

Let's bump this thread back up again. The men's skating wasn't shown until 10, so I was able to watch.

Thought the Callie part was stupid. Not the surgery end, but having her be so terrified of talking. A little tentative was one thing, but puking is another. While I'm glad Justin Chambers played a part, them hooking up in the end was obnoxious. Did Callie live in the hospital so it was easier to bed hop?

The Bailey part was good. Interesting to see how she found her spine.

The Richard/Ellis part was the best. When the attending said, "You wouldn't have even been allowed in this program 10 years ago," I thought, "Oh no he didn't." The reality is someone might have said something like that. As is Grey's way, they fudged dates a bit to make an AIDS storyline work (didn't Mer read for Ellis' diary and the date was like 1977), but it was still powerful stuff. It really showed the lives of these characters and the horrible, ugly story of how AIDS was initially approached by doctors. Loved the two actors who played Ellis and Richard. Good choices -- especially her.

6. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Augh, there was an episode last night???

7. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I just watched. I did enjoy Richard and Bailey's flashbacks, agree that Callie's was ugh.
    Mandy - Love that she is now Miranda.
    Also love that they are giving Bailey a romance, she is so cute, and the guy seems nice.
    (Private Practice is not good, and wish Taye Diggs would move to Seattle and hook up with Bailey. He is so gorgeous, one of the reasons I still watch PP sometimes. Wish she had kissed him).

8. pixie cut

Private Practice just isn't good. The only interesting characters are Addison and Sam. Except for the wife blowing up the house episode, Dell hasn't had anything to do all season. He's literally an extra. Pete pouts. Violet is crazy and self-indulgent. Naomi seems to just wander the halls. Cooper and Charlotte are ridiculous. The plot line meanders. And why didn't Addison bitch-slap her mother for basically saying her kids ruined her life. Send Addison and Sam to Seattle. Let the rest of the cast return to auditioning.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. mkats

mkats New Member

I feel like anytime Grey's tries to progress with the plot, it flunks; when it does stuff like this episode or the April Kepner whodunnit episode, it rocks :D

10. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Would love that to happen. Taye Diggs should be a major star, and so hot.
    Addison was better on Grey's.

mkats - good point about how Greys's is better with this type of episode.

11. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Why isn't Sarah Paulson (young Ellis) a bigger name? Everytime she's on a show, she steals it. Love her.

However, if they have the Chief come back UNDER Derek, I'm going to vomit. I just can't stand Derek this year, and him as chief...

12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one. It's like he has this smugness about him that makes him :rolleyes:-worthy to me.

13. pixie cut

As always, I'm bumping up this thread even though I really don't have much to say about the episode.

Teddy is sort of a useless character.
    ABC must have either invested a lot of money in that batting set or the opposite, it's super cheap. Since when is that girls' night? :rolleyes:

14. Graceful05

Graceful05 New Member

I agree. I think it's him feeling out the role of chief though. Derek has always had a bit of a "holier than thou" vibe (with Meredith, with Sloan, with a lot of people), but now he has a title to prove it. I am sure at some point there will be an episode taking his ego down a peg!

15. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I don't usually complain about this show, as I'm a bit more tolerant of the writing on it than some other things. However, there was a huge issue for me last night. When they revealed that the patient was Harper Avery he asked for Ellis Grey to be his doctor. While he wouldn't necessarily know that Ellis has been dead for several years (or how ever long it is on the show), he would surely know that she had long since left the hospital. Didn't she leave with Meredith when Mere was still just a little girl.

After all, this man was supposed to be someone who kept up with the top surgeons (knowing Richard's research topics and Derek's experimental treatments), but he wasn't aware that Ellis was no longer at the hospital that she had done her residency at?

That question took me out of the moment.

16. pixie cut

That is a good question that I feel the writers have never really answered. They've played with it to suit the situation.

In the first or second season that nurse came to Seattle Grace to die and she told Meredith she was Ellis Gray's scrub nurse for 18 years.

They did say she left after her residency, but did she return to Seattle at some point?
    Was that house empty for over 20 years?
    Who lived there and when?
    Why did she wind up in Seattle when she developed Alzheimer's?

In one episode Richard made some reference to Ellis working with the United Nations, but that was never really detailed.

If she left over 25 years before, why would Harper Avery ask for her?

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I thought Ellis had been working at Seattle Grace til a few years (say 2-5) before Mer showed up for her residency. Then she went away 2-5 years ago for the UN or some cover, but was really being treated for Alzheimer's. That has been my impression.
    Mer's father had been out of Mer's life for over 20 years.
    This is all based on things from the begining of the show, so could be hazy.

18. pixie cut

It's hazy because they've morphed the story several times.

At first, she left a few years before. Really did go work for the UN. Wound up back in Seattle when she developed Alzheimers.

Then the story seemed to say she left Seattle for the East Coast immediately after residency never to return.

Perpetual creative license. :rolleyes:

19. ArtisticFan

That's the one I've pretty much gone with, as my memory and interpretation have always been that she left after Richard refused to leave his wife. I couldn't imagine her coming back to work at the same location he was at.

20. pixie cut

That seems to be the way the story has gone the past few years, but then why did she still have a house. Did the house really sit empty for over 20 years? Why did she wind up back in Seattle when she developed Alzheimer's? All very fluid. Add to that, why did Richard have an 18-year drinking problem if it wasn't fueled by Ellis' continuing presence in the hospital? It makes sense he'd have had a bad time for a year or two after she left, but why was it ongoing? :mad:

21. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I thought Richard had been sober for awhile, then recently starting drinking again. But this show does play with continuity. I still really enjoy the show, and just have to go with the flow.

22. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

And apparently Heigl is leaving the show. Or rather, left it already. As in, no more episode with Izzie.

Finally. I haven't missed her at all and the show is better without her.

23. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Count me as another who is happy Izzy won't be around anymore. I've enjoyed the show so much more with her gone and I was dreading her coming back. :blah:

I know I haven't commented much in this thread lately (which is sad since I'm the originator of it, LOL :p) but I am still watching the show and for the most part have enjoyed this season. I like the stories, I like how Mer & Derek aren't the main focus all the time, I like Owen & Cristina and the new Cardio god lady, and I really like that Sloan is growing up and becoming more of an adult even without losing his snarkiness and sarcasm. It's been a good year for Grey's and I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming up next. :)

24. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Callie and Bailey were priceless tonight! :rofl:

25. pixie cut

There might be one more appearance to officially wrap up her storyline, but it really is for the best. Once she walked out the first time at the beginning of the season, her character became extraneous. Give the new characters some room to breathe. She doesn't want to be on the show. Diva Heigl has made that painfully obvious. Time to give her what she wants. I predict within three years her movie "career" will have run its course. If Grey's is still on the air, she'll magically reappear just as Alex, Meredith and Cristina are all finishing their residencies and becoming attendings.

26. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

With the exception of Derek being chief, which I just CAN NOT stand, I've really enjoyed this season. And I'm sad to say that, because that means I don't miss George or Izzie. I think the show really did need this shot in the arm from the new characters, and the writers have risen to the challenge with more to work with. It's not all saaaad Snow Patrol songs and heartbreak anymore; it's quirky and fun and I even enjoy Meh a lot these days. I bet you I could stomach a breakup of her and Derek, even.

So, sad to see Heigl go, because I really liked her, but what else were they going to do with her character?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  27. ArtisticFan

Just the fact that Bailey was shown as more vulnerable was great for me. I laughed and laughed at the whole "surgical area" scene.

28. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I am glad to see some fun back in the show again. I enjoyed last night's episode a lot. I love Sloan trying to find a meaningful relationship. Eric Danes really plays the "confused macho guy trying to be sincere" well lol. Loved Callie and Bailey's scenes. Kinda bummed the whole kid thing came up with Callie and whatsername. I like them as a couple on the show. Loved when Bailey's guy told her to stop lecturing him and told her how to have a conversation about it lol. Someone finally put Bailey in her place!

29. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Loved last night's episode. Loved it. Loved Callie and Bailey. Loved Mark and Teddy. And finally they let Miranda have a make out session. It's about time.

30. pixie cut

"I told her to think of him as a candy bar." Finally, something memorable from Arizona.