Grey's Anatomy Thread - 2009

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Sep 25, 2009.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

About the only character I find myself caring about this season is Alex. Justin Chambers' performances have been touching. Everyone else is being handed bad dialog and seem to be doing it with no energy. This show is a mess. Shondra Rhimes -- deflate your ego for a minute and try to fix it.

2. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's an excellent point.

I know people fall off the wagon, but I wish that there was a TV show that could have a character's problem with alchohol as just a fact, a backstory, and not a plot. The moment we found out about it way back in series 1 or 2, I knew that it was just a matter or time before he fell off the wagon, and that annoys me.

Meredith noticed it though. She know's he's an alchoholic now, after he liver thing, right? I wonder what, if anything, she'll do.

ITA. I love Alex.

3. discoduck

discoduck Bringing Albinoni Back

Justin Chambers is 147 kinds of amazing. It's a shame that they don't give him more to do. Alex has grown so much over the course of the show but we know next to nothing about him. Hell, we know more about Owen and Arizona than we do Alex who is an original character.

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  4. pixie cut

I think we know a bit about Alex. He comes from Iowa. His father was an alcoholic and his mother battled depression. He went to college on a wrestling scholarship. He developed a hard edge because of his crappy childhood. His father is apparently still alive, but he has no contact with him. He was a creep with women until he fell for Izzie.

This is what I know about Arizona -- Kate Capshaw is a crappy actress and the character is so passive aggressive I want to choke her. The way Arizona has been written (probably due to the crappy actress) has made me not particularly like Callie, who previously was an incredibly sympathetic character you rooted for. Callie treats Cristina like dirt because Arizona is pissed that Cristina tried to get on her service. What a selfish, snotty, self-absorbed person Arizona is. She's all about loving the kids, try showing some understanding and compassion for another adult, rather than trashing her. The first words that were written for Arizona to say to Teddy was something snotty about Cristina.

As for Owen, I don't think the writers know what they want to make him. They wrote him really well as a tortured vet with PTSD, but now that he's recovering he borders between bewildered and a-hole.

Alex is the one character right now that truly makes sense. Bravo, Justin Chambers is getting his moment!

5. mkats

mkats New Member

And he lied on his application to Seattle Grace, pretending to have had cancer and only one testicle (which Lexie Grey knows is not true. ;) )

6. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

And despite that, hand Justin Chambers a child and magic occurs. His eyes almost imperceptibly light up and his body language changes. He has a hard edge, but Alex is my favorite character in the series.

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's to do with Justin Chambers having 5 children himself, than his abilities as an actor or his character. But either way, it's good :)

8. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I think the actor's comfort around children has everything to do with what comes across on the screen. I agree. It's such a bonus.

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I've really had enough of the chief, retire him and give the job to someone else.
    I wish it could be Bailly, but she hasn't the experience.
    Will probably be McDreamy and McSteamy fighting it out for the job.

10. pixie cut

I think this show is running out of steam. Chances are it will sputter to a close before it gets to that point.

11. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Bailey isn't ready to be Chief? Because, to me, she's the only one in that hospital who's shown the ability to run anything without losing her mind at the drop of drama. Plus, everyone listens to her.

:shuffle: I like Arizona. I didn't realize she was so awful and the actress was terrible. It's nice to have a chipper character who isn't Izzie. Who I still adore, but everytime they make her out to be a "bright and shiny" person, I'm kinda lost. :p I also don't really like Kim Raver in general, though, so...

12. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah that's how I've felt for most of this season as well. And I swear if they put Alex with lil miss mousie I will not be happy.

13. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think they mean in terms of seniority. Bailey has only just been made an attending...I think she needs to be an attending for at least a few years, non?

I agree though - she's the best leader.

14. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is what I meant.

15. mkats

mkats New Member

Can someone remind me... whatever happened to Sydney Heron? I remember she sort of briefly dated Derek and then told him that they weren't right for each other and I think that's the last we've seen of her. Did she officially get written off or have they just not mentioned her for awhile?

16. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I don't remember them writing Sydney out. She's now appearing on that new show on Lifetime....Sherri.

17. pixie cut

She was always a fringe character who came in for occasional comic relief. She was never part of the actual cast.

I think the last time she appeared was an episode where she was running the clinic one day and she made Izzie do extra procedures on a guy with a perpetually runny nose. Turns out his brain was leaking. While the procedure she had done was in no way related to his brain issues, the extra time he spent at the clinic caused the true problem to be discovered.

Then she just disappeared. Don't think she was on at all in season five.

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Glad to see so many folks love Alex/Justin Chambers. I find his character the most interesting. In away I hope they keep him more supporting, as they would probably ruin the character if they made him front burner. Good actor, shows so much depth of a character. And love him with kids.
    I still find this show entertaining, but some things seem repetitive. Arizona reminds me a a version of Mer. I think it is the speech patern. Still has moments of friendship that I enjoy - mer and alex this past episode is an example.

19. pixie cut

Since we won't have another new episode for almost two months, I'm bumping the thread. I thought last night's episode was a slight improvement, but I'm really hoping the extended break is being used to rethink this season's plots.

20. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah I hope so as well. I didn't think the whole thing with the chief making excuses was that great. I did like whatshisface telling that woman he loved Cristina. I suck at new people names, sorry lol. I don't even care for his character that much, but Cristina has already been screwed over by one guy she cared for, and it's nice to see a guy have some integrity on one of these shows for a change.

21. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Although it has not been a popular opinion on other boards, I actually am comending the writers for showing the nuances between Meredith's reaction to Thatcher's alcoholism and the chief's.

Meredith certainly has father figure issues, as would most women in a situation like hers. She has few if any memories of Thatcher as her father. When she does come back into contact with him she learns that he has a wife and new family, including a doctor daughter he is very proud of and adores. To her it seems like his drinking is just another excuse of why he wasn't strong enough to be there for her. There are obvious reasons that he wasn't there, but it still does boil down to the fact that Thatcher didn't fight for her.

Then you have the chief. They have always had a strange vibe between them. She knows how her mother felt about him and how that played out. At the same time this is also her boss. She grew up in a world where she idolized doctors. The voiceover talked about her getting medical gifts at Christmas and there was the episode with the Anatomy Jane doll. She's obviously going to look up him with a mixture childhood adoration, respect, and anger over his involvement with her mother. To me it makes sense that she would be a little bipolar with her feelings toward him. It's a complex situation.

I have two uncles who were or are alcoholics. Admittedly, I treated the two very differently. My older uncle abandoned his wife and two children and became homeless. He would pop up in my life from time to time wanting money or a place to stay. I was pretty mean to him, telling him just what I thought about him and his choices. He died in 2000 from complications.

My other uncle is still alive and drinking. I don't condone his drinking or like that he does that so much, but I also don't yell and scream at him. One of the biggest differences I guess is that he and his wife both drink together. He hasn't abandoned his children. He still holds a steady job and is living his life.

That is to say that I'm glad they haven't totally destroyed this story yet. I am able to relate to the complex feelings in it.

22. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Artistic Fan -interesting discussion.
    I can see how Mer is treating them differently. As flawed as the Chief is, he has been there for her the last few years unlike Thatcher. Thatcher's drinking has impacted her directly (liver donation, abandonment), whereas the Chief's drinking has not directly impacted her life.

23. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Here's another personal take on last week's ep.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but was at Skate Canada and the last two days were spent recovering/coming back to Planet Earth/catching up on sleep. What a wonderful weekend though. Anyway...

As some of you know, I'm a Kidney Transplant Recipient (My anniversary's coming up fast too. Got the Best Early Christmas Present Ever on December 10th, 1993) and there was one scene that really hit me hard. Not only that, but it might have gotten what I've been saying to my Sister about my Anniversary Date for years now through to her in just a few minutes. If she was paying attention that is.

That would be when Christina is telling Teddy they'd found a Donor for Kaylee and it was a Brain Dead young 18 year old from a drunk driver nailing her car (? Going on memory here after all) who was just down the hall and Christina ends it all happy chipper w/...

Then Teddy tells her angrily that it's not a celebration, she grabs Christina, pulls her down the hall to where that 18 year old's on Life Support w/her father sobbing that she can't be leaving him now and that it's too soon. Then Teddy repeats what she'd said a few moments before. That's it's not a Celebration.

That's how I feel about my Transplant Anniversary date, as well as my Parents, but my sister doesn't get. As we've all tried to tell her, it's not that we're not grateful I'm still here and w/a healthy kidney, but we can't celebrate the date. We mark it, but we don't celebrate it. How can we when we know there's a family out there somewhere marking their own, but much sadder, Anniversary?

Hopefully, that one scene will finally do for her, what we've been trying to make her understand since my First Anniversary in 1994.

Oh and I adored Bailey telling off her Dad at Christmas Dinner. That was just...just...Bailey at her core. She did the right thing by getting the Divorce and then letting Tucker spend Christmas w/his Dad and his family, even if her own Dad might not think so, and she stood up to him w/nothing but the truth. As awful as it was for her Dad to hear, it was still pure Bailey and she needed to say that to him.

Also loved how she ended her slapdown...

Also, did anyone else think later that after she started talking about Kaylee's surgery to everyone else and her Dad slapped her down for saying such a thing at the Christmas Dinner Table, how absurd it was for him to do that? After all, he was the only person sitting at that table who wasn't a Surgeon!! Everyone wouldn't have a problem at all w/it as Christmas Table Conversation.

Then again...I've been told I have a very perverse sense of humour too, so... :)

24. pixie cut

First, I think Teddy only slapped Cristina down because Owen had just chosen Cristina over her. So don't think the writers were too clever in how they presented it.

There was a great episode around season two where a little boy doesn't want to receive a transplant because he feels it's wrong for him to benefit from another child's death. Especially, his mother is very religious and he points out in praying for there to be a donor, she's praying for some other child to die. It's Cristina who talks him into accepting the new organ (a heart I believe). I think it was the last Christmas episode Grey's did before this one. She and Burke had a fight about spirituality and the holidays.

Doctors become involved in the patients they treat. If these are surgical patients and they need transplants, someone has to die for them to live (except for kidneys, which can come from live donors). It's a complex dynamic and each person has to process it accordingly.

The scene in episode one of this season where Bailey had each person tell her who'd receive O'Malley's organs was very poignant.

25. pixie cut

We're back after a two-month hiatus. I frankly didn't see much improvement in the story telling. This show seems to be grasping at straws. Maybe next week will be better now that things have been set in motion in terms of Lexie and Mark splitting up and her sleeping with Alex and him with Addison.

26. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I liked last nights show ok, but I didn't like that Meredith was being such a dimwit about telling Derrick. Also, was kind of glad to see Cristina so willing to give up Owen. Owen annoys me.

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I almost didn't watch. Having a two month hiatus was a bad idea...I'm willing to bed that a lot of viewers won't come back.

I'm at the point now where I watch it when I'm bored, but I don't look forward to it like I used to. I really don't care so much anymore. And I really didn't find much enjoyable about this episode, except the end of Lexie and Mark, a couple I never really bought into.

28. mkats

mkats New Member

Same here Jen - if it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have even known there was a new episode...

29. pixie cut

Tonight's episode was actually okay. Although I do wish they'd make a decision on Izzy -- in or out.

30. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Meh. I like Owen with Teddy better than with Christina. There, I said it.

I didn't get Mark. And Derek is an ass.