Grey's Anatomy Thread - 2009

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Sep 25, 2009.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Since I started the thread for Grey's last year, I figured I'd go ahead and start one for this year's season too. ;)

I would write a little more but overall I really enjoyed the show last night. It had moments that made me laugh (I don't know why but the interns laughing together after George's funeral cracked me up....somehow it seemed appropriate), moments that made me cry (that part with Bailey finding out where George's organs were going to really got to me :(), and most of all it kept my attention for the full two hours (and I didn't see the merge with Mercy West coming at all although I thought something was going to happen with regards to the chief). I loved the parts with Izzie and Alex. Their last scene especially was fantastic. You can tell how much the show is trying to hide Ellen's pregnancy but really it wasn't horribly noticable. The whole show felt more like the old Grey's Anatomy and hopefully it stays that way for this whole season. I'm encouraged and excited to see what else is in store for us this season. :D

Thoughts? :watch:

2. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I, too, laughed out loud during that funeral scene and I normally don't laugh out loud at anything on TV. It was just that contagious.

I didn't know Ellen was pregnant (or had heard once upon a time but forgot) so I didn't notice anything at all in regards to that during the episode.

The editing bugged me a bit in how they cut to commercials... felt a bit too abrubt at some breaks as if they were leaving something mid-scene. And maybe that was their intention but it wasn't working for me.

3. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Christina was especially obnoxious last night, so that bit at the end with "George O'Malley Died... " was kind of awesome. And I realize Izzie is world's most hated, but she's just awesome in my book. She and Alex keep me watching.

And the lack of MerDer drama? If that keeps up, I will stay watching all season. Can Ellen get pregnant every year, please? If it means no more of their off on BS?

I felt really unsettled most of the episode (maybe that was the point). I didn't enjoy it all. Really didn't see the point of "that's not George!" near the beginning. I mean, why? Why mess with it?

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was watching some of the reruns on Lifetime and I wish I had kept up with the show. I really loved the first season. I don't know why but I just never picked it up again when the 2nd season started. I saw an episode here or there but I had missed too much to know what was going on with everyone and I just checked out. One day I will have to grab the DVDs.

5. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

You can get them cheap on Amazon used. You can probably skip seasons three and especially four.

I think Cristina has coping mechanisms, and what resident wouldn't with all they go through. Her coping mechanisms probably date way back in her life and the interesting dynamic in pairing her with Owen is forcing her to face some things she usually doesn't.

I really loved the end where each character did a voice over. It served as a nice set up for the season.

6. slicekw

slicekw Poster of Pet Vines

I hatehatehate the tough Alex grin; it drives me nuts to see it back. OTOH, if he continues on this track all year, where he slips between tough Alex shell and the underneath Alex, he could get a well-deserved nom for next year's Emmy. He's underrated.

7. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll watch this season since I've lost a lot of interest.

However, I wanted to catch this episode to see the George fall-out.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone can say Katherine Heigl is an overrated actress after that hand-held "goodbye" scene she had with George.

Every nuance of emotion was so present on her face. Her ability to convey all the shock, pain, sadness and regret without a single word was amazing.

I would've given her an Emmy for that scene alone.

The rest of the episode? :blah:

8. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I liked it overall. I have to admit that the fish thing was so inappropriate that I coudn't stop (inappropriately) laughing, and was quite glad the girl laughed when she heard it too.

I liked Izzie laughing at the funeral. I thought it was a nice link back to the bomb episode when she said she had inappropriate reactions in high stress situations. Other than that, she seemed to grieve, and I liked Christina and Meredith being hit with grief much later on. It seemed real.

But being picky with accents, as I am...the "australian" accents were wrong. The blonde was okay, but the asian girl? Either not Australian, or has spent so long in the US that she's lost her accent. A small detail, but there have been so many bad fake accents on shows lately that it's a pet hate of mine ;)

The Callie story annoyed me.

Have Alex's bottom teeth always been like that?

Derek was an arse.

But overall, it was enjoyable :)

9. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

In my world, Grey's has jumped the shark. I hated the setup scenes needed to get to the point where Izzie tells off the weepy girl who was mourning for a man she didn't know. And the confrontation was a hollow, treacly bit of business. Ugh. Talk about manipulating the audience. :scream:

I did enjoy the Little Grey, Callie, and Mark story line. :p The actress who plays Little Grey is pregnant too, right? Her face seems so much fuller this season.

10. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

this was a very weird episode of Grey's anatomy . . ..

11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

No. The actress who plays Little Grey gave birth to her third child 2 days after filming wrapped up last season. She's carrying a few extra pounds, maybe, but she's not pregnant anymore ;)

12. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

See I was not impressed by that scene. I thought it was played a bit too daytime soap operaish for my taste. To me she was better in the funeral scene. I couldn't stand the confrontation scene with the bus girl.

13. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I liked it. Izzie still gets on my nerves and I didn't think Katherine Heigl really sold her funeral scene or the scene with the girl who didn't know what to do. I liked her quiet moments much better.

Christina annoyed the hell out of me. I guess that was the point. I would've punched her.

Still love her and Owen together, though.

And I really liked Mark, Callie and Little Grey.

14. silverstars

silverstars New Member

I've really disliked the past two seasons (which is sad, because I LOVED this show when it first came out), but this one does look like it has slightly more potential. My favorite scene was definitely the funeral one, when the remaining original interns just laugh (it just seemed so them). I like that MerDer are finally together (and according to the writer, staying together for awhile), so maybe they can just be happy for once--although this is Grey's Anatomy, so maybe not. I actually really, really love Little Grey and Mark together, so I hope that that stays. Lexie irritated me when she first came on the show, but I think that I"m coming around to her. Izzie has never been my favorite character, but her storyline with Alex has definitely made me feel sympathetic towards them (and, random addition, have you guys seen Katherine Heigl's new daughter? So cute!!). Katherine was really on in this episode, IMO. And I thought that having everyone, not just Meredith, narrate at the end was a nice touch too--it seemed to really complete the episode's grief-related story arc for me.

According to Shonda Rhimes, one of the couples that exists now won't make it through the season, but I really can't figure out which one it will be. Also, Ellen will be leaving for a few episodes on maternity leave (as is Katherine, although she'll be off filming another movie). I'm interested to see how Grey's Anatomy functions without Grey...

15. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I think it will be Issie and Alex who will break up. I can see signs of it already.
    Didn't Ellen have her baby a week or 2 ago?

16. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I hope Izzie breaks up with Alex AND gets laid off during the merger of the two hospitals. That's how much she annoys me. :EVILLE:

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  17. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Sacrilege! :p;)

I actually feel the opposite. I was :rolleyes: during the funeral scene. The laughing seemed so contrived and over-the-top for me, like the writers were trying too hard to make the scene "pop."

To each his/her own, I suppose.

Heh...still holding that torch, eh Lady? :)

Well, Izzie still technically has cancer...and she's wishing for it to return, so you never know. ;)

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  18. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

To answer from a post further up...

Yes, Ellen and Chris are the parents of a healthy baby girl they named Stella.

Which had my Dad walking around the house going, "Good taste in names. Very good taste in names." :D It's my Mom's first and my second name, so...Yeah. :)

I liked the episode. I felt they wrapped everything up really well from the Season Finale of last year and gave us a good start to this year.

My favourite part was the Chief ending up in the ER of Callie's new hospital on her first day there. After the way he and she left things at Seattle Grace, that had me LOL!!

It's sad they let the Denny ghost thing go on for so long, as that really drove a lot of people away. This is a big season for Grey's, but I think this is a good start to rebuilding things.

At least I hope so.

19. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I felt like a lot of the episode, most of it, was very soap opera-ish. I'm not sure why I keep watching. First time there's a scheduling conflict it will drop off my list. I really like it at the beginning, but I don't like the way it's changed.

20. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recaps. I quit watching GA last year. It got to stupid for words. I'm not sure I'll start watching it again, but it's nice to read the thread. And I never minded Izzie other than the Denny thing, but sometimes I really disliked Derek. All in the writing eh? ;)

21. pixie cut

It's largely the writing, but it's also the acting. I find Patrick Dempsey acts his scenes like he has one foot out the door to go make more bad movies. Ellen Pompeo is way too old to be playing a resident. From the original cast, Sandra Oh, Justin Chambers and Chandra Wilson still do amazing jobs, but Katherine Heigl is hit and miss.

I think the couple that won't last the season is Cristina and Owen. They've only just gotten together and if the Meredith/Derek and Izzie/Alex pairing dynamic is held to form, they need at least one more breakup before they can be together.

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Could someone do a recap of Thursday night's show please?

I missed it due to Opening Night in the NHL, so...Thanks in advance!!

23. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Part of Meredith's back story is that she went to Dartmouth, graduated and basically had no direction with her life, and then later decides to go to med school when her mother is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So, Meredith should look older from other residents, who went straight from undergrad to med school. Plus, Ellen Pompeo is 39...not that old to be a resident, and they purposefully make her look tired and less "glammed up" on the show.

24. pixie cut

And Cristina's story is that she went to med school after earning a PhD in biochemistry. And Izzie's story is that it took her six years to finish college because of financial constraints and longer for med school because she was modeling to pay her way. Yes, they're supposed to be older than the other residents, but not THAT much older. They are careful never to say age. Notice how Dr. Wyatt interupted Cristina during the therapy session just as she said, "Owen enlisted at the age of..." They've jumped back and forth about how old Meredith is supposed to be and where she grew up and when she started med school. Still, the inference is she's around 30 or 31. Ellen Pompeo looks every day of her age. Unless they're going to make Meredith at least 35, she's becoming increasingly unrealistic in the part.

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think it'll be Mark and Lexie. I just don't buy them as a couple, but on many of the forums people can't stand them together.

Lexie only moved in because she was jealous of Callie and sick of walking in on MerDer sex. The latter thing especially.

Although, I conceed that the only couple I'm sure will remain together this season is Meredith and Derek, because she's on mat leave and there won't be much focus on them to try to conceal her lack of screen time.

26. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I don't know... I actually am starting to warm up to Mark & Lexie. They seem to have pretty good chemistry, though I don't agree with her reasoning for actually moving in with him. It should be because she WANTS to, not because she feels she needs to.

And I've made it no secret that I really like Alex and Izzie together, so I hope it's not them. I think they'll leave Derrick & Meredith alone for at least a little while, so that leaves Owen & Christina as the couple to not make it. That does not make me sad at the moment. It's not that I don't like them together, but that it's still pretty new and I haven't really decided what I think.

27. TinyTwinkleToes

TinyTwinkleToes Banned Member

Anyone here remember his role as "Jimbo Scott" in the movie Outbreak? Saw it in my Science and Fiction class last week and was LMAO over Patrick.

28. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Maybe she's flunked a few times and is the equivalent of a seventh-year senior? If only she'd spend less time on her relationships and more time on her doctoring ... :saint:

29. pixie cut

I found last night's episode not very good. It's like it's desperate to find a rhythm and can't. Season six has not carried the momentum from season five. Grey's is back in a rut.

30. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

There was virtually no suspense or drama built into the liver transplant. The writers seemed to treat this only as a convenient plot point to allow Pompeo some maternity leave. I am not hopeful about the incoming actors.