Grey's Anatomy season eight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pixie cut, Sep 23, 2011.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I don't see a thread for the new season of Grey's Anatomy, so I'm starting one. Given how few posts we got each week in season seven, I don't know how much interest there is, but here we go.

I found the Chief throwing himself on the fire for Meredith ridiculous. I thought April being disrespected as chief resident was tiredly predictable. Perhaps the only surprise in the episode was Owen going with Cristina for the abortion. I had envisioned a story line where he legally stopped her from doing it. Although I'm sure there will be conflict as the season unfolds, at least for one episode they communicated.

I'm so tired of Derek and Meredith I have no comment on their storyline.

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I didn't bother watching....too many other shows I wanted to see last night.

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

It actually held my attention for the 2 hours. Of course April being disrespected was predictable, she's never been respected by them but in the end, with her "check lists" she did kind of save that man. If I were Bailey, I'd hate that the chief tied me up with his research. That's a big project for someone whose passion is not diabetes research. The sink hole was :yikes: (how would Seattle go about fixing that???)

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  4. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I didn't. Even if we take out the fact that this is Grey's, and that the ethics at that hospital are sorely lacking, it kinda makes sense what he did.

1. she helped HIS wife, so it directly impacted his life, and made it very hard for him to have to fire her.
    2. she is like a daughter to him, so he feels the need to help her (like trying to get her a job elsewhere or getting the board to not fire her)
    3. he's close to retirement anyway, so if he ends up fired, he has less to lose than someone just starting out.

As for the rest of the episode, it was enjoyable, although not many parts stood out. I liked the Christina/Owen storyline and I'm glad he understands and supports her decision. As always, I loved Bailey.

5. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Not a bad episode. I did feel bad for Mer losing the baby.
    So glad that Alex is not on the outs. I really love his character, and his friendship with Mer is so important to him. One thing I do enjoy with this show is some of the nice moments of friendship they show, whether it is Mer/Cristina, Mer Alex, Teddy with Arizona & Callie, Bailey with Derek or Callie. Usually just the small moments.
    I enjoy some of the little moments, like Teddy with Arizona, Callie and baby.
    Chief - not suprised, he feels strongly for Mer, and also I think responsible for her bad childhood.
    I did like Mer standing up to Owen, really showed some forward movement for her, recognizing her mother's weakness.
    Bailey - can do no wrong in my book. I was thinking when she barged into the Chief's office after hearing he took the fall, that he was going to give his job to her. She so deserves to run the whole place.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  6. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I lurrrrved Alex through the entire two hours. :rollin:

PeterG, UMBS Go Blue, smurfy and 3 others like this.
  7. mkats

mkats New Member

:eek: the season already started?! I'm so clueless... well, this will make for a :swoon: Sunday :)

8. pixie cut

Making him the resident who loves and lives for pediatric surgery is a really nice slant to put on the character.

I also liked how Cristina couldn't go through with terminating her pregnancy unless Owen understood. It shows the growth of that character. I still think there's room for Cristina and Owen to talk about the full picture of why she doesn't want a baby, which is obviously about more than just her career, but that's a lot to hope for amid their 60-second scenes.

9. pixie cut

Am I the only one who found the hammering and drilling at Derek's house beyond ridiculous? These men are all surgeons and their hands are their lives. If one of them had sliced off a finger, that would have been entertaining.

10. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Can Debbie Allen stay on this show for a while?! I loved her tonight! She and Jackson are a hoot and her asking April when she was finally going to sleep with a man was hilarious. Cristina dancing around while making breakfast was a hoot. :lol: I felt so bad for Meredith and Derek knowing Zola was in the hospital but not being able to see her. That was sad and their little song to her at the end was so cute but also sad. :(

I think Grey's has been pretty good overall this year so far. :)

11. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I think so too. Even in the years Grey's jumped the shark, I've enjoyed it. Wonder how it's faring against competition this year, though.

12. pixie cut

Last week's ratings were terrible. Don't know about last night's show yet.

13. HeatherC

Last night's ratings were pretty good and went up to more normal levels again. I think last week's ratings were more about people watching the baseball game than not wanting to watch Grey's. :)

14. pixie cut

Bumping this up in advance of tonight's show. The lack of action in this thread -- as opposed to seasons past -- shows this show has really lost its relevance. Thankfully, it's not painfully bad like Desperate Housewives, but there's just little inspiration to comment.

On the other hand, I am finding Private Practice ridiculous. Amelia agrees to assist her friend with suicide, but then notes physician assisted suicide is legal in the state of Washington. Why didn't she send her friend to Derek or Mark or Meredith? It's not like she didn't know several physicians in the state of Washington. Another beef, why would Sam have Addision move in with him knowing she was planning to have a baby, which he doesn't want. It's such a ludicrous, cloying plot point.

15. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I don't know anyone IRL who still watched the show...other than me. I still enjoy it, but it's not what it once was.

The scene between Callie and George's mom last week (where Callie showed her the baby pictures) did bring a tear to my eye--it was so sweet. I like that they talked about George again too.

16. pixie cut

Now that you bring it up, I agree that was a nice scene. Shows how little impact the episode made on me.

I watch it out of habit. I remember when I loved it.

17. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I still love the show, but I wish it was still as funny as it was first couple of seasons.

18. mkats

mkats New Member

I've been really enjoying Grey's this season! It isn't nearly anything as comparable to earlier seasons (I've actually been watching old episodes of season one in between new episodes this season :shuffle: and wow... it was so much better then) but it's still a good source of entertainment.

I meant to ask awhile back whatever happened to Dr. Lucy Fields (we used to all cheer for her because she did her residency at Duke, even if she was kind of annoying :lol: ) and then tonight I caught a snippet of that awful show Charlie's Angels :yikes: and realized that she's one of the Angels. Did her storyline ever come to a proper end, or did she just randomly disappear from the show?

19. pixie cut

She took the job in Africa that Arizona gave up that Alex was going to take. I have no clue why an OB/GYN surgeon wanted to go to Africa and operate on kids, but that's how they wrote her out.

20. mkats

mkats New Member

ah - many thanks :) for some reason I have no recollection of this happening.

21. HeatherC

I've actually been enjoying Grey's this season overall. I just haven't commented much about it here which speaks more to me being lazy than anything else, LOL :lol:

And I still love Private Practice no matter how outlandish or dramatic it gets because I think the cast is awesome. I guess I'm just a sucker for a show full of hot men. :shuffle:

22. HeatherC

Wow, tonight's ep was pretty amazing. It changed things for a lot of people and I am not happy there's no more Scott Foley for me to look at anymore. :( I was nervous something was going to happen to Alex and Meredith in the ambulance but happy they're all right. I didn't expect them to see a horrific disaster outside their vehicle. Sandra Oh is always awesome as Cristina. Her reaction to finding out her patient's identity was heartbreaking. Things are going to be crazy and I think the next episode be a humdinger.

BTW-This was the last new episode for 2011 and there won't be a new one until January 2012. :( I guess ABC is doing a fall break kind of thing with some of their shows to keep them from running too many reruns in between the new shows. We'll see if it actually works or not. I'm not a huge fan although it has been a nice fall to not have reruns very often if at all.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  23. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

:wall: :wall: :wall: I can't being to tell you how much this pisses me off.

24. HeatherC

Sorry! I didn't want anyone to be surprised when the show didn't come back for a while. :slinkaway

25. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I can't believe they killed Scott Foley. I loved that character.

26. pixie cut

I guess it's time for him to go film season five of True Blood. I quite liked his character. Sorry to see him go. I wonder if Kim Raver will leave before the season is out. Henry kind of grounded her on the show. Now she's back to the periphery of the Owen/Cristina relationship.

27. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Why did the ambulance driver not leave on the lights of the ambulance when he left? Obviously, the interior of the ambulance had power, you'd think as a safety measure, since Meredith and Karev were staying, he'd leave on the strobe lights. Might have prevented the accident.

Totally unethical what they did to Christina. Could destroy her.
    Oh and btw...in the OR's there is a "Time Out"...This is patient X, he's having X procedure, he's allergic to X...etc.... We would be fired if we didn't do an appropriate TO. Everyone who had a hand in this, should be fired. It was even more egregious since Henry didn't even know who his surgeon was.

I know...TV.

28. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I so agree. I knew he would probably have died eventually, but they got rid of him much quicker than I thought. Definitely made Teddy a more interesting part of the show, and her interactions with others like the Chief. Fallout for Teddy and Christina will be interesting, so I assume that is why they killed off Scott so soon. I think the fall out for Christina is going to be professional obviously and also with Owen personally.
    Again, I do love Mer and Alex's relationship. She knows who he is and cares for him anyway, and he truly cares for her, a nice platonic relationship.
    I liked the episode, just wish at the beginning there was not some announcement that said something about it being a special episode. Hate those classifications (reminds me of ER).

29. Ella-skater

Ella-skater New Member

I don't think it's as good as it was a few seasons ago. My favorite season has always been number 5. The ending was unbelievable good.

30. pixie cut

I also loved season five because the Owen Hunt character, his struggle with PTSD and his relationship with Cristina Yang were all electric. Now Owen is just bland, Cristina is solely obsessed with her career and their spark has fallen flat.