Grey's Anatomy 2012-13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BaileyCatts, Oct 6, 2012.

1. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^I was wondering about that, too but decided that it was just ER as a property not the entire hospital they're selling. There was a line that said "to make it more presentable to the buyers."

2. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

If they're selling the building and land as a piece of property, then it shouldn't matter what is inside. If they're selling the hospital to a private company that operates hospitals, I'd think an ER is pretty crucial. A very odd plot point.

3. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i thought it was 50 million each and i figured they woudl all pool the money and buy the hospital-

4. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I finally remembered. It was actually her role on Joan of Arcadia that I remembered her from.

5. pixie cut

It's 15 million each -- for Cristina, Meredith, Derrick, Arizona, Lexie's estate and Mark's estate (Sofia). Maybe that is how the plot will turn. They'll buy the hospital.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  6. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

What drama that would be. LOL

7. Ageless

Ageless Member

I will be very surprised if this doesn't end up with them buying the hospital. Don't they also have other lawsuits going against the airline or were those settled? I remember when this started the whole idea was to sue everyone

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:duh: Okay, so sell to another hospital and then the new hospital would have another branch. Or it could even be a developer who wants the building/location to convert it to something else. That's really what I meant to ask (it was late :yawn:). I was watching and was like ... who the hell is gonna buy a hospital?! :lol:

Agree above that they will either decline the money (if you can do that), or pool and buy it, or something crazy like that to save it. Afterall, the show did not get canceled, they have to save it somehow!

9. victoriajh

They all made it seem like such a large amount..... 15 million is not as much as I thought they would get, the first offers they turned down they all looked wide eyed about!! I think mark and lexies families shoul deb entitled to more seeing as they both died inthe crash...and Arizona lost a leg for goodness sake!!!

10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

How can you sell a hospital ? :eek:

11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

You couldn't in Europe, but in America healthcare is largely private. You can sell a hospital just like you can sell any other asset.

I guess the ER plot could just be contrived for television drama ;) They tried to explain it the episode before last, saying that only 50% of the ER patients brought in were admitted and those 50% brought in less revenue than it cost to treat them. Who knows. Closing ERs is a fairly common thing where I live, as a cost saving measure.

12. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Oh, sure you can. At least in Sweden.

I assumed from day 1 that they'd have to sink all the money back into the hospital, like Izzie's donation to the free clinic.

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yup, that was my first association when I saw her last week. "Hey, it's the tattooed, surfing, smoking ex-nun from Joan of Arcadia!" :lol:

What I'm finding most bizzare about the whole lawsuit-and-fallout storyline is that Owen, as chief of surgery, seems to be the one in charge (aside from the board, who we see every once in a while). Is there no chief of staff / dean of medicine / other bigwig in this hospital? Someone who would, you know, be ultimately responsible?

I know we see everything through surgery's eyes, but it sometimes seems like there aren't any other departments at this hospial. Other than the ER, which conveniently is also staffed entirely by surgeons trolling for patients.

14. pixie cut

Beyond the many unrealistic things depicted, the lack of a chief of staff is bizarre. The chief of surgery doesn't run a hospital.

All of us who said the drs would end up buying the hospital called it right.

15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I did enjoy and Callie and Richard on their road trip. I like it when they mix up with different people.
    Also the new interns are feeling part of the scene now. But sometimes there are too many people!
    Yang's dwarf nicknames are too funny.
    Alex and his cases with kids, even teens, just love him.
    And Meredith eyeing the burritos!

16. victoriajh

i was right! they are gonna buy the hospital- i need to stop being such a show bomber!!

17. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I don't understand that either. So the hospital would only be used for non-emergency surgery? A sick person usually goes to an ER first before they are admitted. Or even a person with a broken leg wouldn't just show up in a bed. I can't think of anyone who has ever spent the night in the hospital without starting in the ER. (Except for scheduled surgery.) Would someone in labor just walk in the front door? And if anyone goes to another ER, it's not like they would tranfer them to Seattle Grace just to take up a bed while they are getting better or healing. I really don't get it.

18. pixie cut

I think Grey's Anatomy has put a disproportionate emphasis on the ER. In fact, most surgery at a hospital is of a non-emergency nature. Trauma surgeries start in the ER. They say Seattle Grace/Mercy West is a certified trauma center. Without an ER that would become useless. In reality most heart surgery, pediatric surgery, general surgery and certainly plastic surgery are not emergencies. That isn't to say someone might not urgently need the surgery, but they wouldn't be admitted via the ER. A woman in labor calls her doctor, goes to the hospital and is admitted. If she then needs a C section, she's transferred to surgery. A hospital could exist without an ER, but no traumas and likely it would be a highly specialized hospital. My point was if you're selling this hospital and it's a certified trauma center, why would you cut off the origin of those traumas? A hospital that has had a long history of having an ER would need a pre-planned reorganization to eliminate the ER. It would decrease the value rather than increase it to do that without extensive advance planning.

19. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I still think that lady who's been 'helping' the hospital get ready to be sold hasn't been completely honest with everyone and has massive ulterior motives for what she's doing there (and it's not anything good). I just don't trust her much and hate what she's done to the hospital. I may be in the minority but I love the idea of the crash survivors buying the hospital because it would keep the heartbeat of the facility going and everyone would get to keep their jobs. It would also eliminate some of that hostility that the non survivors (edit: I mean the people who weren't on the plane...this does sound really dorky without a disclaimer, LOL) have towards the others which is obviously becoming an issue at the hospital. I've learned to just go with the flow when it comes to GA so I'm looking forward to seeing where things go next. :)

And April's new guy is quite a hottie. Can we keep him on the show for a while??! :swoon: :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  20. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

How can dead people have feelings? ;)

21. HeatherC

D'oh!! That does sound really dorky! I just added a disclaimer so everyone knows what I actually mean in that sentence, LMAO :rofl: :lol:

22. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I've had surgery twice, and may be heading to a third time. I've never been to an ER, and when I went there with my grandfather, it definitely wasn't staffed by surgeons trolling for surgery ;)

23. pixie cut

Surgeons don't staff an ER. It is generally staffed by residents with one or two attending physicians depending on the size of the hospital, but mostly they're residents in emergency medicine. If someone has a problem of a surgical nature, a dr with the needed specialty is paged to the ER. Certainly surgical patients do come from ER cases, but it's a minority of the surgeries done in a hospital.

That said, last night's episode was silly. Avery is now "in charge" of the hospital. That's like a sitcom twist.

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^ I know. But he is just becoming a member of board directors not the chief of surgery or something, right?

25. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Yes - so technically Hunt has to answer to the Board. I take it as 'drama' being created by Grey's.
    I found last nights episode good. Set up for lots of things in the future. Debbie Allen can be around more - I like her with Richard and son.
    Also the Harper Avery Foundation has been mentioned for so long - it wasn't a shock!
    The one thing that will seem weird - with all the 'owners' - if any of the actors/owners leave the show, it will be harder to just say they got a job at a another hospital, which is an easy way to write a character out than before. And they really can't kill anybody else off - can they?
    Loved Bailey - she's short so her punch is lower!!
    Loved how Richard knew something was up and ready to help!
    The interns are growing on me.
    I like April as doctor - maturing and competant. Just leave out the personal stuff.
    Love Karev as always - and sharing his 40 yr old scotch that he keeps in the oven - so no one must cook there.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Come on. He shares a house with Cristina. The oven is the perfect hiding place for his booze! :lol:

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. pixie cut

Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Chandra Wilson, Sandra Oh and I believe Justin Chambers and James Pickens all have contracts through next year, which I'm guessing will be the end of the series. These are all the original cast members whose contracts ended last season. They got two-year contracts.

Don't know what the contracts are for Sara Ramirez, Jessica Capshaw, Kevin McKidd and Jesse Williams. They all joined the cast later. Ramirez in season two, McKidd and Capshaw season five and Williams and Sarah Drew in season six.

28. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

:wuzrobbed:

So now that the Grey is on the name of the hospital, this show can go on forever even without Ellen Pompeo.

29. pixie cut

I hope not. I really hope they make season 10 the last and wrap it up nicely. This year has been pretty decent. One more then a graceful exit.

30. HeatherC

Glad I'm not the only one who had an emotional reaction to the renaming of the hospital! I didn't see that coming at all and immediately starting bawling because it was such a touching gesture. :wuzrobbed

This season has been pretty great overall so I kind of agree that making next season the final one would be pretty cool. I would miss this show SO MUCH but I know things can't last forever (still missing Private Practice :(). I can see a lot of story lines tying up really nicely during one more season and quite frankly, I don't know how much longer some of these cast members can pull off their characters' ages on the show, LOL :p