Grey's Anatomy 2012-13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BaileyCatts, Oct 6, 2012.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I thought the first two seasons were brilliant. I swear you could feel the life being sucked out when they cut Denny's lvad. Still, season three had some great moments. Season four I excuse because there was a writers strike in the middle. Season five I thought picked up because despite the Denny's ghost story I liked the Owen PTSD storyline. It's been a steep decline since then. I don't see how it can last another season past this one, but maybe it will.

2. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Izzy was nearly unsalvageable after George, and I could have done without the cancer storyline, but I always loved her and Alex. I also liked the idea of Ms. Perfect faltering and not being able to deal with it, which I'm more than willing to blame most of everything post-George on. :p I think it would be interesting if she came back.

The first two seasons were great, I agree, but my point was they weren't without problems and posters here even commented on it endlessly. The Meredith & Derek angst show was beyond ridiculous, and I was really fed up when he called her a whore and got angry with her for moving on, effectively. Give me everything since over that.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Katherine Heigle did offer to come back to Shonda but I heard they turned it down. My god, George-Izzy storyline was indeed RIDICULOUS. But this reminds me of dramatic scene where George let Mer know that it was him, by circling 007 on her palm:wuzrobbed That was really genius of writers!

That was just so out of line for me, too. And later when they set up and let go of Erica Han/Callie, I thought, WTH? But I did like the scenes/story where Meredith finally turned to a psychiatrist. I think the fact that I looooove Amy Madigan really helped;)

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  4. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think the fact that they do have important themes and good storylines keeps it alive despite all the rubbish in it. It's such a shame though, to think how brilliant it could be without all the rubbish. Seasons 1 and 2 really were the best.

There have been so many great moments in the midst of the suckitude.

It was great when they finally got Meredith to see a therapist about not swimming and sticking her hand on the bomb. It was great that they FINALLY decided to explore why she was so ambivalent to life.

Owen's original PTSD storyline was great. George writing 007 on the hand made me scream. Meredith's voice over when the rig crashed with that premie baby last season gave me chills.

But the suckitude. Oh the suckitude. Izzie. Erica. The deer. And why did Izzie miraculously recover from stage 4 cancer while Lexie had to die in a crash? They should have killed her. I think death was the only way to redeem her character :lol:

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh, my. I could not agree more on every point you made, especially the last one!!!! I think that was Shonda being greedy to keep the door open for "famed" Katherine. But the way they let her go made me question if that's worth it.

I think I rather like this season's start. I hate that they put Christina in all kinds of awful "accidents" but the way they have woven the second episode was amazing.

One thing I'm wondering is whether or when Alex would get the right girl for him. Izzie was perfect for him before she literally crushed him into pieces:( and that Megan girl from last season was also bad, more or less than Izzie. And I do wish they'd put Alex more in between the twisted sisters and make him something of it. These three create something special together.

6. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I never liked Merideth, but I loved Issie and George in the first season.
    Liked Alex and Lexie. Cristina was fantastic.
    This just isn't the same show that it started out as.
    I really don't care anymore if I watch it or not.

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Very few shows keep the same chemistry as they start with. But if it gets to a point where you don't like anything it has to offer, that's when you should leave.

8. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh, I forgot to mention from the first episode -

The director in Minnesota who told Christina she had to relax a little bit - REX VAN DE KAMP from Desperate Housewives!! :cheer: I don't know anything else about the actor, but I love seeing random ABC actors I recognize from one show appear on another.

It took me ages to figure out why the intern that started off the show - Jo Wilson - looked so familiar, and then I realized that she was Kate in that :yikes: Lifetime movie William and Kate :rofl:

9. pixie cut

Steven Culp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Culp
    Pretty impressive career.

Camilla Luddington. She was on season four of Californication and appeared on a couple of episodes of True Blood this past summer. I think her American accent sucks.

10. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

You're not alone, for a long time Owen has been the only reason I watch this show.

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

And, Meredith's fater, Thatcher, is starring in Scandal, another ABC series which also happens to be directed by Shonda.

Anyone watching Private Practice? I haven't for a while, but heard that the show is running its last season this fall. I wonder if Kate Walsh would come back to GA for another or a couple of seasons. She's too great an actress and character!

12. mkats

mkats New Member

I've been meaning to pick up Scandal for awhile. It'll be interesting to see Thatcher not as a lost drunk wandering soul, which is how I remember him :lol:

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ Ohhh pick it up pick it up!! I love this show!! A little bit out there, but I love the fast pace and quick story telling. And the interesting little plot twists. Go catch up online so you know the history. :D

14. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA. Another interesting cast; Ellis Grey, Meredith's mom is the vice president here:)

15. pixie cut

I actually kind of liked last night's episode. Enjoying the casting of William Daniels. Nice homage to St. Elsewhere, the original off beat medical drama.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Me too. I assume Christina will be back in Seattle, but enjoy the her interactions with Culp and Daniels.
    Bailey cracked me up with her reactions to the new attendings invading her lounge and so sweet about Tuck going to kindergarten.
    Bleh with April and Jackson - he deserves better. Loved Mer saying the Chief slept with her mother also.
    Love Mer and Der's new house.
    Sara Ramirez is awesome as always, such a great actress.

17. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I liked last night's episode too. Is Alex's new intern finally going to be the one?

Sara was riveting- my favourite was actually when she questioned the intern on why she was hitting on her.

Jackson's eyes alone make him worth watching.

And William Daniels and Christina were great. I actually hope she stays there for a while now.

18. pixie cut

Wasn't that hilarious! ;)

19. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I really enjoyed last night's episode too. It felt more like the Grey's of old with the quirky humor (loved the lines about the Chief sleeping with the moms and Meredith/Cristina's Skype sessions), some doctoring in the hospital (I liked the story with the woman who lost the weight), Cristina showing some random emotion (loved her scenes with the older doctor), and there were some great heart tugging moments too (the ending stuff with Derek talking about the settlement and Bailey's reaction to Tuck letting go of her hand). I wish I could remember the Chief's comments to Bailey because I think everyone should type those out and put them on a wall to read every day. Something about getting your hand back so what are you going to do with it. Fantastic speech by him and I also liked Callie & Arizona's scenes. Just a really great show overall last night and that made me so happy after all the emotional stuff earlier this season. Grey's is off to a great start this year and I hope they keep it up. :)

BTW-Gotta add my comments about how much I love Scandal! That show is fantastic and hopefully those of you who haven't watched it yet get caught up and start watching it now. It's awesome and the first season was only like 7-8 episodes or something so it should be easy to catch up! ;)

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Agree with you every bit! It was like watching revitalized Grey's Anatomy:swoon:

21. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm liking, but not loving, the way the plane-crash aftermath is affecting the various characters. I wasn't a fan of the Meh-Derrek angst ... but without that they're pretty boring. I've wanted to slap Arizona for the first few episodes, despite her understandable if misdirected anger ... but that final scene in the shower with Callie was frickin' amazing. "This is my life now too." Powerful stuff.

Bailey continues to be completely fabulous, and one of the main reasons I'm still watching.

My favourite dynamic so far this season is Christina and the William Daniels character. Especially last week's episode. I'm glad Christina has a new mentor, she's a better person when she figures out she still has stuff to learn. And hey, what better mentor than William Daniels, who after all was a leading heart surgeon waaay back in his St. Elsewhere days! ;)

I just hope the law suit against the airplane company doesn't become a big storyline for the rest of the season -- though I suspect it will. I wish they'd accepted the offer and just moved on. And Derek's argument -- "they need to learn from their mistakes so that others don't suffer" -- just didn't make sense to me. Surely the FAA does its own investigations of plane crashes, and doesn't just leave it up to the airplane company?

22. Artemis@BC

ITA! And I think season 1 is just out on DVD now.

I think there's some far-fetchedness in the storylines, but I don't care. I don't even mind the super-sekret conspiracy storyline that's behind Quinn/Lindsey's situation, even tho I usually hate that kind of stuff. I can put that aside because the writing is so smart, the dialogue is so tight (I sometimes think I'm watching Sorkin!) ... and I'm in love with Olivia's wardrobe. ;-)

The scene from last week with the Pres changing Olivia's shoes ... wow, so much said without words there. Not sure about Abby & David though. She's been a total ass-hat all season, but she doesn't deserve to be used by David. (Though how great was it seeing a scruffy Josh Malina? :swoon:

23. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I can't watch Christina's scenes with William Daniels without yelling "Feeny... Fe-he-he-heeny!" at the TV. But that may be generational.

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'm quadruple swoon at that:swoon:

Oh, my :rofl::rofl:

25. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'd looooooooove if Christina'd stay in Mayo some more. I like how writers are being smart about her away from Seattle yet making it feel like she's in Seattle AND her relationships with doctors there! In the latest episode when Christina and Dr. Thomas were sitting on a bench, talking and laughing, it was like the best moment in this season.

26. pixie cut

It was a great scene. Also, when he said he'd survived the plane crash when others had died, it was a nice correlation to her own experiences as well as Owen's.

27. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I keep forgetting that doctor's actual name because he's so solidly Mr. Feeny in my mind.

28. Artemis@BC

LOL, definitely generational. I can't see him without thinking Dr. Mark Craig ... and I can't hear him without thinking KITT. :shuffle:

29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

As a lover of musicals, I can never see him without getting "Sit down, John! Sit down, John!" going around in my head. :)

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Yes ,I can't see him without thinking of 1776 either!