Grey's Anatomy 2012-13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BaileyCatts, Oct 6, 2012.

1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Anyone watching? I would have liked a little more story about how they survived out there for 4-7 days (tonight, Christina said something about staying awake for 4 days, and last week was a quick statement someone said about them being lost for a week), but I guess they had to keep things moving quickly.

But what the hell happened to Mark?! What did they say was wrong with him? I didn't understand what was happening to Mark. He was all recovered and okay and then he's like in a coma in the 5 minutes it took :)duh: what's his name that slept with April?) to go get Sophia! What did they say was happening to him? I hate it when they murmur and talk so fast I miss what they say.

2. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

The never said what happened, but I'm assuming it was his heart.

I agree about the murmuring--I often turn on the captioning when I watch the show because I don't catch all of the dialogue.

I'm watching the show, but I know that it long ago jumped the shark. I'm not that invested in it any more. Christina's point is valid--how much more crap can happen to these people?

3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Mark had major internal injuries IIRC. I do wish they had explained it better.

I'm not happy Mark is dead. And Arizona's reaction feels very out of character.

At this point, I'm only watching because I like Callie and Alex.

4. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm watching!!!

I'll miss Mark :wuzrobbed: and his last scenes were a total mess. The chief kept saying that it was "the surge" - that a patient near death has a final burst of lucidity and energy before they die - but it was so badly explained, and what did he finally die of in the end? And agreed, Jackson going to get Sophia and in those five minutes Mark had time to fill out a DNR and talk to the chief and what not??

Lexie :yikes:

Christina's speech was really good, as was Owen in this episode. Out of Derek, Mark, and Owen, I definitely have the biggest crush on Owen... :shuffle:

It was kind of funny because I started my medical education this fall, and one of my best friends is in her third year at medical school. We've been watching Grey's since it started, way back before we even went to college and had no idea about anything medicine-related. Now that we've both spent some time in the field we've more than realized just how unrealistic everything is :lol: and yesterday she IMed me and said, "I need to pick up a good law-related show... something that I don't know anything about!"

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Direct her to The Good Wife.

6. mkats

mkats New Member

I think we'll check that out, thanks! :)

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

With Slexie couple gone, I think the show lost a big chunk of spice:(

I'm getting tired of them giving Christina all kinds of freaky terrors but I keep watching the show.

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

When Mark woke up and started talking and laughing and joking, it really broke my heart:( Damn that "surge"!

9. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I'm still watching and enjoying the show, mainly because I don't pay attention to the medical stuff (I know it's not realistic most days, LOL) and I just try to enjoy the characters and their stories. Mark dying was SO sad but I knew the actor wanted to leave so it wasn't unexpected for me. Avery's hair is bugging me so hopefully they fix that soon. It just looks odd. Arizona's reaction to losing her leg doesn't seem in character for her but I don't know how well I would take it if that happened to me either so I'm just going to watch and see what happens there. I enjoyed Meredith and Cristina's skyping and am glad that they repaired their friendship even though they're apart right now. I thought Bailey's line about the plane going down and being stuck on an island and then being attacked by a polar bear was CLASSIC. I loved the Lost reference and it even got a mention from Damon Lindelof on Twitter the other night! Too funny, LOL :rofl:

10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

BCB for Baily's nickname was a little bit... sad:rofl:

I too am bugged about Avery's hair. So looking forward to see some connection of Avery and April, and I hope Avery's mother would appear more often!

11. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

As horrid as I thought last season's finale was..... Is about how great I thought this episode was. However..... iI must have zoned out. I will I didn't get that Marc died. I just thought he was on life support for his 30 days, and that then some miracle ===brain surgery by a restored McDreamy would save the day.

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Why the hell did they kill off Mark and Lexie? With both of them leaving, they had the perfect opportunity to write them out by going somewhere else and starting a new life together.

But no :wall: No, we had to have that awful season finale, yet another stupid and unbelievable major incident and totally inconsistent writing by episode 2.

Episode 1, Meredith is Medusa. Episode 2, which had to be the time frame leading up to ep 1, there's no sign of Medusa and no explanation of how or why she got so bitchy in those 30 days, why the interns are so stupid that they don't know about the accident or why none of them remarked in episode 1 that she used to be nice.

The only thing I liked was Christina's comment that "Mark kept dying. It was so annoying" and the fact April wasn't there. Oh but she's coming back. Great.

I went for a long time not caring about this show after it jumped the shark, but last season got me engaged again...only to wish they'd ended it with April failing, Mark and Lexie going off into the sunset and all the interns going off for their job opportunities like normal people do :(

13. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I know that Chyler Leigh (Lexie) wanted to leave the show, but I don't think that Eric Dane (Mark) was in a great hurry. It is a bit poetic that they both died, but the writing was a bit meh.

I don't mind April that much, but I'm sure they will mess up the April/Jackson pairing.

As for Arizona's attitude about her leg and the amputation--I thought about this, and I agree that her anger is probably due to the shock and finality of the situation. But also, it could be that some doctors think they are immune to peril and above it all somehow. But maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit. ;)

14. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Well I think it would be unrealistic to write off Mark and Lexie from the show by them leaving to start a new live somewhere. Lexie is still learning to be a surgeon especially under the tutelage of Derek, and Mark has his whole life in Seattle including a daughter.

I also don't feel Arizona's lashing out on Alex was out of character. Arizona got onto that plane angry with Alex, and loss a leg in the process. I know Alex wasn't responsible and Arizona was morally wrong to blame it all on Alex but c'mon, we all have the "WHY ME" mentality for much less than what Arizona is going through. Besides, how many times have Alex lashed out at other people for even more insignificant things?

As for the surge, I experienced it first hand when my grandfather passed away in the late 90's. It's a real thing except I'm not sure about the epiphany part.

15. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Somewhere back in time Alex asked Meredith, "Would you love me if I wasn't a surgeon." That question kept occurring to me me throughout this episode.

The show remains one of my favorites, medical silliness notwithstanding. (Some of the) acting is marvelous so it stands to reason that (some of the) writing is equally marvelous.

16. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

You mean Derek, right?

I'm waiting to see where they go from here to see if the show really jumped the shark when they crashed that plane, which was my initial feeling. But I guess that means they are getting more credit from me than Bones which I stopped watching due to Shark jumping...

I'm definitely enjoying Private Practice this season although I'm unsure about Charlotte being pregnant with 89 babies or whatever. And really, Pete dying? Now we get to watch Violet have yet another emotional turmoil filled season? Awesome. That was so fun all the rest of the times and is not exhausting at all.

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

People quit jobs all the time. They could have just written them out for opportunities in other hospitals in Seattle. It's more realistic to have a crisis about your career choice (especially since Lexie epically botched the removal of the brain tumor on that girl) and to move away than it is to die in a plane crash. It's more likely to die in a car accident than in a plane crash. Grey's just didn't need another stupid, unrealistic story.

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

What does "Jump the Shark" mean?

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

When a show does something totally bizarre, the characters suddenly act out of character or there's a plot that makes no sense.

Like George and Izzie.
    Like the Ferry crash.
    Like Meredith being dead for an episode.
    Like shooter in the hospital (although I thought that was a fairly good ep)
    Like a plane crash.
    Like the fact that Meredith has been involved in a ferry crash, bomb in a patient, been dead for an episode, held up by a shooter and had her husband shot and now been in a plane crash.

Yeah. Christina is right. She should run for it.

20. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Meredith's "death" (and subsequent lack of brain damage) was definitely the jump the shark moment for me.

21. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Yes, I thought Derek and wrote Alex. :eek: Thank you.

22. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

23. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

25. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

that pretty much summs up greys for me now... :runs:

26. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I don't think they've decided yet. Shonda Rhimes probably needs for this season to plod along until at least after the new year, then she'll "plot" -- a term I use loosely at this point -- someone or something's demise. :blah:

When I think of how good this show was the first couple of years and the circus it's become... :mad:

27. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I'm not so hot on this year/last season's finale, but I'm not sure the show was so brilliant before and terrible now. I also don't think that's how it's always been perceived. :lol: I remember a lot of griping about it alllll the way through. When it was the star-crossed lovers show with Meh and Duh's constant baggage, I found the show annoying. I loved it when the show finally put them together and mostly moved on. However, that didn't REALLY come until about season 4-5.

Someone on YouTube has the first three seasons up online. I've torn through them here and there, not always in order. It's nice to remember how the show was, and it's funny to see where certain characters have gone, not gone, etc. The show has always pulled bonehead manouvres (George and Izzy, killing Meredith's mom), including getting rid of fantastic characters (George), but it always managed to come back. I'm sure it will this time, but what a 1-2 blow with Lexie and Mark. I really loved those two characters, even when they weren't together, and they will really be missed. I'm sticking with to see how the show knits itself back together this time, but I also wouldn't mind if the show ended this season.

I get if I'm alone in this, but watching early seasons, I really miss Izzy. :shuffle: And I'd miss Burke if Isaiah Washington wasn't so insufferable. His character coming back (with a different actor?), now THAT would be awesome.

28. mkats

mkats New Member

No, first few seasons-Izzy was AWESOME. It was only later that she became somewhat insufferable.

29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I agree. I can't remember exactly when she went off the rails...I think it had something to do with a deer?

30. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I think the deer came after she had already become insufferable. She totally lost me when the George-Izzy thing happen. Shudder.