Grete Waitz passed away

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SmallFairy, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you who are into track & field, but the news left me incredibly sad.

Grete was the first track & field world champion, in Helsinki 1983, when she won womans marathon. She also won the New York Marathon 9 times, and have lots of nationals and international titles.

What I really admire her for, is how she has fought for womans sports, both in Norway and internationally. When she came on the scene in the mid 70ies, woman were not supposed to run long and hard, but Grete changed peoples opinions and became a role model for so many girls, fighting the male regime in their clubs.
    In Norway, she started her own city race, just for woman, all her life she worked to get us all to leave the tv-chair and start moving. she was so inspirational, her race was great fun, I took part some years ago.

The last years Grete has been fighting cancer, and last night she passed away in her sleep. While she was ill, she kept working, helping others with cancer to stay active and fight the decease.

She came across a such a likeable woman, I really admire her, and I will miss her!

ETA: forgot to add she was only 57:( so sad for her husband and her family!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

R.I.P. :(

She also won the silver medal in the inaugural women's marathon at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

What irony for her to pass on Boston Marathon day. She was such a classy winner.

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Grete won the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta several times when my husband was involved with its administration. He said he met her several times and she was really a lovely person. Sorry I told him-I think he took it hard.

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What sad news. She was a marathon legend. May she rest in peace.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

R.I.P.

7. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Oh my, so sad. :( Grete seemed like such a fantastic woman. RIP.

She's etched upon my mind, for certain.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She was a great champion; and a courageous person.
    RIP.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Oh my, I didn't even realize she was ill. She, Joan Samuelson, and Ingrid Kristiansen were all really inspirational runners.

10. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

She was for quite a while. I believe she was diagnosed in 2005 (?). I remember seeing an interview with her at the World Athletics Championships where she had established a foundation to raise money for cancer care.

11. poths

poths Well-Known Member

:(

Loved Grete. She was a sensational athlete. Her legacy will live on, but...57 is so young.

12. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

very sad - she was a great champion. she continued to run and support the New York marathon long after she was the favorite to win it.