Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sit_spin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I thought it was high time somebody started a thread about this awesome team!

They are amazing, and I really hope they stick together for a long time.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

4. hippychick

hippychick New Member

Really love this team and they have so much more potential then they showed at Skate America. Hoping it was just first time nerves of skating at their first Senior Grand Prix. They obviously need to make jumps their priority. although I did see them landing their jumps in practice. not sure what it is going to take to transfer that to their performances.

Surprised that their throws were soo off, the throws that they did during the practices at Skate America were gorgeous, amoung the biggest and the best of all the teams. Possibly too much adreneline during the performances.
  5. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Geeze, how disappointing to see less than a handful of responses to this topic. :(

I finally saw my favorite pair team skate live for the very first time this past weekend at SA, and they did *not* disappoint!

First things first, hands down they are the best looking pair team I've ever seen in my lifetime (tied with G&G). Holy Cow, you got to see them in person, that's all I have to say, you must see them in person.

I was so blown away by their looks, presence, et al, that I honestly forgot the mistakes, lol.

That said, they really need to land the jumps and add difficulty in their lifts to move on up. And also some dynmaic music might help them more with the audience, to get the audience involved. Jmho.
  6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I'm sure more positive responses are coming. I too love this team and wish them all the best as they continue to develop. What a great moment witnessing their gorgeous fp at Nationals in January (even if it was not live but on IN). Keep working hard and gaining in strength and confidence, Gretchen and Andrew!
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I've been a fan of this elegant pair from the first time I saw them debut as a junior level team. Here are some links that I've posted in the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD:

Donlan/Speroff's new official site debuted on FSO over the summer: [U][/U]http://www.figureskatersonline.com/donlan-speroff/

Donlan/Speroff's Nebelhorn SP to "Nocturne" by Ennio Morricone (from the Lady Caliph soundtrack): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnLQJUOZJZY
    Both landed the sbs 3T :) but it looks like she got the < call. Her head didn't get low enough on the BO death spiral so it didn't count.

Donlan/Speroff's 3rd place Nebelhorn FS (102.14) to Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oev9MmPtaPY

And from the Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry:
    (They brought back "Time to Say Goodbye.")

Donlan/Speroff's next competition is Ice Challenge (Senior B) in Graz, Austria, Nov. 6-10, 2012.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Donlan/Speroff are completely exquisite. Her physical and stylistic resemblance to Katia is eerie. I especially noticed it last week. And Andrew looks like a more elegant version of Charlie White. Wish SkAm could have been a bigger coming out party for them; I'm sure nerves played a big part.

But if they don't get the 4CC SP min in Graz in Nov, they're in trouble, right? There will be no other chance to get it before 4CC?
  9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Loved the "Time to Say Goodbye" exhibition--they're really lovely skaters!! Hope that they can find a way to conquer those nerves in competition (and a way to get her head just low enough to make the BODS COUNT!!!)!
  10. hippychick

hippychick New Member

I am quite sure that Donlan and Speroff could probably use some extra encouragement right now from the fans. You can go to their official website and send them an email.
  11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love Donlan/Speroff and hope that they have a great experience in Nov. at their next international!!!
  12. whiskers

whiskers New Member

13. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Wow. Their Meditation SP is every kind of exquisite. If they compete it well it will be up there with Shen and Zhao's, which is saying a LOT. What a gorgeous, special pair. You just want that SP to go on and on. It seems to breathe! The Sleeping Beauty is not there yet, but the SBS spins are fabulous, as is that unflippinbelievable long lift that follows. I also really like the moment where he stands still and she dances for him (hope that was intentional). It is in character. But where is the fishdive??

Thanks for reviving this thread. They have that elusive " it" factor -- here's praying they can conquer their demons. Fingers crossed for this season.
  14. Sylvia

HeatherC has uploaded a better quality of their FS at Skate Detroit ("Pas de Deux" from The Nutcracker): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMfzm6iisMo

I believe D/S' next competition will be Cranberry Open in mid-August.
  15. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Oopsie. I am mixng up my Tchaikovsky chestnuts. Thank you for the polite correction!
  16. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I like this team too. I *think* we've had the pleasure of seeing them in Aston, PA (Liberty Summer Comps - although not @ this year's comp, & Eastern Sectionals). Hope they have a great season.
  18. Sylvia

Happy 20th Birthday - two days late (11/18) - to Gretchen Donlan! :)

Donlan/Speroff won their first international gold medal (160.19 total, 56.63 SP, 103.56 FS) at Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava, Slovakia in early October. Their "Meditation from Thais" SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsErsmWpcg

They currently are in Graz, Austria, for their second Senior B - Ice Challenge - SP is on Friday, Nov. 22nd and FS on Saturday the 23rd. There will be a live stream for this competition - link to be posted later.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  19. Sylvia

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  20. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Member

They are so beautiful to watch. It is so frusterating they don't skate cleanly. I hope if they do they would get the marks they deserve, but even then it would be hard as judges like consistent skaters who build up their reputations.
  21. NadineWhite

Thanks for the post(s), Sylvia, didn't even know it was her birthday, lol. :D

Wishing them, as always, good luck in their competiton (as well as the other USA pair). :cheer2:
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  22. Sylvia

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  23. NadineWhite

You & I were on the same path, Sylvia, I was askance when I caught my mistake! :eek:
  24. Sylvia

That might have been the best 3T I've ever seen Gretchen Donlan land in competition! She turned/stepped out of their throw 3S but otherwise a well-skated SP in Graz earlier today (in 2nd of 6 pairs, just under 4 points from 1st):
    2 Gretchen DONLAN / Andrew SPEROFF USA 56.03 32.17 (TES) 23.86 (PCS) 6.08 5.83 6.08 5.92 5.92 0.00 #3
  25. reese

reese Well-Known Member

The 3T was AMAZING. I couldn't believe how clean it was. In the Kiss and Cry she said it was the best one she's ever done (I hope she means in competition, not ever ever). I worried they would miss the 3sal after hitting the sbs so clearly, and alas...

Love that they are using the body suits for this SP; highlights the lovely shapes in the choreography. I would love, love, love if the could get a 4CC trip out of this season and set themselves up nicely for next year.
  26. NadineWhite

WOOHOO, THEY JUST NOW WON THEIR *SECOND* GOLD MEDAL!!!!

Here's what I typed in the K&C (copied & pasted):

OMG, that's probably the BEST I've ever seen them skate!!!! :kickass::cheer2::encore::biggrinbo:

She landed both throws beautifully and they did the sbs triple jumps, I'm gonna cry with joy, btw the whole time I was practicing my yoga breathing technique, la verdad, lol. :D :)
  27. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Congrats to Gretchen and Andrew! Two gold medals this fall! That throw triple loop today was a thing of beauty. I hope this gives them a major confidence boost going into Nationals.
  28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

the Ice Challenge Website is super slow with posting results. Do you have point totals? Thanks
  29. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  30. Subway

Subway New Member

I "discovered" this team two years ago and then abandoned them, because skating is such a fragile sport to begin with, why get into it with a team that is training both ends against the middle. By that, I'm talking about teams, or even singles skaters, who are incredibly advanced in some aspects, and very fragile in others. Those are the teams that will kill you as a fan. Sasha Cohen is their patron saint.

I'm very pleased for them that they're having such a strong season. It's shallow, but they look so good together, and what they do well they do HUGE. The fact that they've persisted is also to be respected. I should have more faith.