"Green Winick" Scam

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Scrufflet, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I know most of you are savvy to online scams but just in case you get caught off guard...

Several times this week, I've received something from this "law firm" saying I have to appear in court and to click on the link below to find out details about a court case which may be decided in my absence! Right!

Question everything you see online. Of course, no reputable law firm would ever proceed this way and how would they get my email anyway? I think its important to remind everyone now and again.

We've just had another bout of the computer repair guys calling too. "We are Microsoft checking on your computer. Give us your details!" My husband is actually enjoying these calls!

Carry on!

2. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

3. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

We used to get these calls at least once a month. Then one day I couldn't get the guy off the phone, I hate just hanging up on people, so I finally said "look I know you're a scam, I'm hanging up now." They haven't called back since then.

4. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^Why not just hang up? They are not your friends or anyone you associate with.

Thanks to caller ID and the Ignore button on my cell, the only time I have to deal with telemarketers is at work. I humor them for about 30 seconds (if it is a slow day and I am bored), and then tell them I am hanging up now. It's amazing to me how, in this economy, so many places can offer free magazine subscriptions to steel company owners. I don't verify any of our information for them. The foreign, ESL callers are always fun - I like to tell them that, no matter how many ways they try to rephrase the same question, they are only going to get the same answer. If you are going to be calling people in the US, at least make an attempt to become fluent in the dominant language.

5. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

At first these scam artists would call about a virus on my "Window" computer to which I replied, "I have a Mac". Then they changed it to Microsoft, and I still replied, "I have a Mac". I don't know how people like this can sleep at night knowing that they are scamming mainly senior citizens. I almost fell for an email scam about my cell phone company. The scam email was so close to a problem that I was having that they almost got me. I try to report email scams when I can. I have contacted banks, PayPal, etc. about email scams.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

We've recently been getting calls about problems with "our" Visa credit card - which of course we have to help solve by giving our credit card number, expiration date, and security code number.

As it happens, we have more than one Visa card. Last week Mr. Overedge picked up the phone and it was a call from the "Visa customer security center", about this awful problem with "the" Visa card. He asked the caller, "Which one?" The caller said, "Your Visa card". This went back and forth for a few minutes, until Mr. Overedge said, "If you know there's a problem with this card, you must know the last four numbers of the card number. What are they?" Caller: "er, um....1, 2, 3, 4". Sadly these were not the correct numbers :rofl: and Mr. Overedge hung up on him.

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Aha! Thanks for all your responses! Every time I am on one of these threads, I discover a new scam. I haven't had the credit card one yet but I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

Here's something I get a lot and I'm hoping somebody can explain it. We get a call which is a number of clicks, then busy signals. We will get about 4 in a row although yesterday we had 8! It will stop for a few days and then start up again. We now have caller ID and the numbers are all different, some local, some long distance. I contacted Bell Canada (Toronto location) and they are puzzled by it. We are now on DoNotCall but if we keep getting them, we may have to change our no. and that would be really hard to cover all bases. I'm thinking of recording all the nos. for the next few weeks, asking Bell to block them but I really don't know what else to do. My question: has anybody ever heard of this before and do you know what it is?

8. overedge

I've heard that these calls are robocalls which are trying to see if the number works or if someone answers. If a live person or a voicemail answers, the number gets marked as active and is added to lists that are then sold to telemarketers. So even more of them can call you and annoy you :mad:

Even if you record the numbers and block them, it won't stop the calls. The calls are apparently made through some sort of router that generates a new (fake) phone number on the caller ID or *69 every time a call is made.

The advice I got was that if you don't know the number, don't pick up the phone. If it's a real person who really needs to talk to you, they'll leave a message.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Caller ID is such a help. If we don’t know the number, we don’t answer. Like overedge said, if it’s important, they’ll start to leave a message and then we can choose to pick it up.

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

I can't believe people actually fall for this stuff...

I know it sounds awful, but if I pick up the phone and hear a long-distance hesitation, or I have to say "hello" more than once, and then I am answered with an Indian or Asian accent, I hang up immediately. Sometimes I'll play with them, but mostly I just hang up. I did rant at one angrily one night - they rang at 6pm on Australia Day just as my family was sitting down to the traditional roast lamb.

Actually, the worst one we ever got was some environmental fund. My sister answered the phone and told the lady we weren't interested, and then hung up. The lady rang back, my sister (who was 19 at the time) told her again we weren't interested, and the lady answered snidely, "I'd like to speak to your mummy or daddy please". My sister hung up the phone. The phone rang again, my father picked up the phone, and told the lady that if she called this number again, he would call the police. Funnily enough, she didn't call back.

11. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I see those court case things in my spam at least once a month. Delete.

This morning, I had an email (in my spam) from "F B I Agent" - delete, delete, delete

(Now watch the FBI show up at my door. LOL)

12. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

My messages are always from "Card Services" to lower my rates or there is a problem. I called one back once. Didn't tell her what credit card I have or anything. I asked how much my balance was and she said over $3,000. Uh, I've never not paid off my only (not telling you what kind in case unsavory people are reading this) credit card completely in full every month. I asked her which credit card it was and she hung up.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It started several years ago here.
    The callers sound like they are in a "boiler room" in India.
    I just hang up.

14. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Anyone receive calls from Air Duct Cleaning? I don't think that it is a scam, but the calls are very annoying none-the-less. They sound like they are in a boiler room in India.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I once argued with "Tom" from Dell technical support until he admitted that wasn't his name and he was in Mumbai...I don't care where you are if you help me with my computer, just stop pretending you're in Round Rock and your name is Bob....

I don't get many telemarketers, but I have started hanging up on charity solicitors mid-call. They're all I get on my land line and I suspect some of the non-message missed calls on my cell are them. Drives me NUTS.

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

my work phone is deluged with spam calls. I put it on the Do Not Call list when I first started but I'm convinced that's completely useless anymore. I didn't know that about the robo-testing for a live line. I do have caller ID but not everyone in the office does and they get fussy if the main line keeps ringing so I answer. Often there's no one on the other end, but then we get even more spammy calls, so perhaps I can use this as leverage to stop picking up the phone.

We also get tons of calls from sales people who ask for my predecessor by name. Not sure if she actually engaged with these people or there's just an outdated list of our personnel floating out there is spam call land. I don't think I've heard any accents (other than the occasional southern US one) from any of the people I've spoken to though.

17. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Thank you, thank you! This is the first time I've had an explanation that makes sense!

18. overedge

And if you're in Canada...the Do Not Call law says that a company *can* call if they have some sort of "business relationship" with you. So one of the newer tricks is for the telemarketers to phone and say they are doing a short survey and would you like to answer a few questions. Of course, it's not a real survey and the data never gets collected or used for anything. BUT if you answer the survey questions, the company can claim that you did business with them and then harass you with telemarketing calls.

It kinds of sucks for the legitimate survey companies who collect data by phone, but if you get a call asking you to participate in a survey, don't.

19. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I've recently been getting the calls from the "Technical Support Department of Windows" about a virus on my PC. They take care not to claim they are from Microsoft, but from "Windows." I used to have fun with them, asking questions about where they were located (always in Los Angeles, which was funny) and how they know I am sending out virii from my PC. They usually lasted until I asked them to give my IP address since that would have been the only way to identify that my computer was sending virii.

I hadn't gotten any of those calls for over a year, but got about three in the past week. Now I'm just annoyed and when they tell me they are "from Windows," I respond, "No, you're not. You're a scam. Goodbye."

20. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I was not happy this week to get a sales call on my cell phone. My land line is on Do Not Call, guess we will have to put cell phones on.

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I am one from Microsoft, claiming that had been receiving error messages from my computer. The caller sounded extremely legit. I didn't fall for it, but can see that someone knew to computers might.

22. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Do Not Call works the same way down here. There are exceptions for non-profits, and (surprise, surprise) political campaigns. And surveys are one way of establishing a “business relationship.” Free raffles or contests are another.

23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I got another one today. I read this one before I deleted. It's from an FBI agent in Nigeria and I am due $10.5 million. I guess I better reply right away, huh??????????????????

Which reminds me, I got an email from Chase bank (where I really do bank) about a problem with my account. I called them and they gave me an email address to forward it to so they could track this type of stuff and stop it.

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Always check the sender's email address. I got one the other day from "FedEx" saying I had a package, and as I was expecting my boots, I opened it. As soon as I opened it (hotmail had marked it as junk) I noticed that the "From" address was some lunatic thing that was definitely not FedEx. Delete-ski!

25. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I got one from US Post Office saying they had a package they couldn't deliver. Total SCAM.

26. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Yeah, that's why I called. I get offers from Chase all the time and it didn't look like that. And I get the post office ones all the time too.

Who actually falls for these things? If you are smart enough to use email, aren't you smart enough to know that nobody is trying to give you $1 million? Or that you won a sweepstakes you did not enter?

27. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I've had the Fedex emails as well. I reported them to the real Fedex people. They thanked me and told me that their name gets misused all the time and that they're constantly pursuing these people.

I, too have had the duct cleaners. Click!

I had a hilarious one years ago where a woman called late one Friday night to close a deal that was prearranged for that half hour, regarding a business deal in Africa but she couldn't remember the name and was I that person? Who are you calling? I can't release that information as it is a highly confidential matter! Very funny! And very badly done! So many of these scams are getting more and more sophisticated though and I can see how every once in a while something slips through.

Still trying to figure out what to do with my robocall issue. For now I'm turning the AM off while we're at home so that we can callerID and just let it ring. Maybe that will lessen the no. of calls. Still going to contact Bell Canada again armed with my new info. re robocalls and see what they can offer. Getting a new no. might mean that a whole new set of robocalls happens so I'm torn.

28. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Whenever air duct cleaning companies call they always say "We are going to be in your area....." My dad, who has owned a few homes in his life time, says he has never had his ducts cleaned ever.

I got the call from "windows" about a virus on my computer. I simply told them that it wasn't true, I had no virus on my computer, and hung up. Funny because I had just got my computer back from being fixed that day and my computer wasn't even connected to the internet when they called.

Unfortunately my uncle a coupe of years ago got taken in by a scam phone call, claiming one of his grand kids was in trouble and needed money. There's an ad campaign on TV currently warning against scams like this.

29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

In regards to the packages - use a level of shipping that provides you with a tracking number. I have never received any emails from FedEx or USPS for any packages I have had sent to me. I get tracking numbers and check them multiple times a day.

I agree with another poster - who falls for these scams? I mean, really, if you are completely up on and in tune with all of the shit in your life, that these are scams should come as no surprise.

30. overedge

:rolleyes: Well, not everyone in the world is as "completely up on and in tune with all of the shit in your life" as you.

The people who fall for these scams are people who don't know a lot about how computers or the Internet work - of which there are many - or people who are in dire financial straits and could use a "free" vacation, or don't want their credit card account to be in any more trouble than it is. But according to you, I guess, these people's problems are their own fault, so we shouldn't feel sorry that they're being taken advantage of.