Greatest singles rivalry ever

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Jan 16, 2011.

?

Greatest singles skating rivalry

1. Ito vs Yamaguchi

3.0%
  2. Slutskaya vs Kwan

10.3%
  3. Lipinski vs Kwan

1.2%
  4. Hoffmann vs Cousins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Orser vs Boitano

15.2%
  6. Stojko vs Eldredge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fratianne vs Poetzsch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kim vs Asada

4.2%
  9. Yagudin vs Plushenko

57.0%
  10. Witt vs Thomas

6.1%
  11. Browning vs Petrenko

0.6%
  12. other (please specify)

2.4%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

What do you consider the greatest singles skating rivalry ever.

I actually voted for Yamaguchi vs Ito which wasnt even on the other poll. It is too bad they didnt both skate amateur longer or compete against each in pros more often.

2. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Yags vs Plush by a mile!

3. jl

jl Well-Known Member

Yags v Plush too. What other rivalry involved quads, Olympic titles, voodoo and hypnosis, and a 'two wives' quote? :lol:

4. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Huh? How was this a great rivalry?

going by season

1989 - Ito is a top skater (ending with her WC) Yamaguchi a future hopeful
    1990 - Ito is still on top (though ends up with silver WC medal due to her disastrous paragraph loop) Yamaguchi is still an up and comer (who stumbled badly at the WCs)
    1991 - Yamaguchi in a minor surprise beats an injured Ito
    1992 - Olympics is the one competition where they were real rivals, Ito skips worlds

Not much meat there.

5. judgejudy27

The rivalry started in fall 1990 IMO when Yamaguchi pulled off two big fall wins, first beating World Champion Jill Trenary on a 4-3 split to win the Goodwill Games, then in an even bigger upset beating Ito convincingly at Skate America. Then after the 91 Worlds, Ito came back to beat Yamaguchi at Trophee Lalique, but Kristi came back to win the Olympic Gold.

It moved onto the Pros. Ito upset the by then dominant pro queen Yamaguchi to win the 93/94 World Pros, but Kristi came back to win the Challenge of Champions over Ito. Then the following season Kristi dethroned Ito at the 94/95 World Pros, then later that season at the Challenge of Champions Ito edged out Sato and Yamaguchi by a small margin to win the Challenge of Champions (Sato was 2nd to Ito by .2, and Kristi a further .2 point). I thought the 94/95 Challenge of Champions and even the World Pros was higher caliber of skating by the top women than the World Championships of 95.

Yamaguchi 94 Challenge of Champions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNB_sx39FXE
    Ito 94 Challenge of Champions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy50CpgiWM
    Sato 94 Challenge of Champions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhcOoK7eMBU
    Ito 94 World Pros: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-LiBhdT2E
    Yamaguchi 94 World Pros: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n1SLDVBKIk

To me it was a good rivalry with lots of back and forth and victories for both and at times (though not always) very high level of skating by both.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for this one, but I didn't know there was ever voodoo used.. please clarify!

7. senorita

senorita New Member

Tarasova voodooed Mishin and they made out in SLC.

8. Mafke

Mafke New Member

:yikes: I did not need that mental image :scream:

9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

EWWW

10. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I know about the voodoo stuff, but what did their wives say?
    Coud you share the details, please? :D

11. bardtoob

Hoffman and Cousins, a rivalry :rofl:

Cousins never beat Hoffman before 1980 Euros, when Mueller horse traded with Fassi.

(I always wondered why Fassi was not able to get Lisa Marie Allen to breakthrough. Of course, when Fratianne won figures (such a shock, she must have been good since Frank was a nobody) and had two triples at 1977 Worlds, it really set her up to be the American front runner.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  12. matti

matti Active Member

Well, Frank Carroll and Stanislav Zhuk were lovers, weren't they?

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Were they?

14. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Are you sure it wasn´t Morozov? Or Morozov learnt it from Tarasova?

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Alas, it is not that salacious. There was that famous SLC promo with much drama, Yags saying he hated Plush while Plush looked at the snowy landscape, and Mishin explained that training both Yags and Plush back in the 1990s was like having two wives.

Another vote for Yagudin and Plushenko, who were miles ahead of the rest of the field and hated each other, making for much :watch:.

16. senorita

senorita New Member

yes these days that one compliments the other all the time and they play ping pong together it is such a let down, I want back the two wives:lol:

17. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Million dollar idea : Big Love on Ice

You couldn't be more welcome.

18. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Yeah, fun is gone... no voodoo, hypnosis, etc, I miss their rivalry so much!:(

19. matti

matti Active Member

Who knows, they might have been... ;) Then again Suzanne Morrow Francis and Elena Tchaikovskaya were also under suspicion, all that arm in arm walking at Lake Placid '80 (in furs).

20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Yagudin-Plushenko by a mile

21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

They tried to create a Roz vs. Elaine rivalry - never really developed...

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This time, I vote for Yag vs Plush. More than a simple rivalry since it involved the coach.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Didn't Cousins routinely won the freeskating portion at Worlds?

Fratianne set herself up as Hamill's heir apparent with her spectacular freeskate at the 76 Nationals. Back the those days there was a natural progression of who would be champion, and Linda was deemed "IT" after Hamill retired. LMA only chance to win was if Linda had a complete melt down in the freeskate, which she almost did at the 80 Nationals.

When I look back at Fratianne's skating on utube, I think Frank Caroll let her down as a coach. He could have made her into a much, much better and more intersting freeskater after 76.

24. judgejudy27

Cousins was always the best free skater. If he was better in figures he would have dominated the 1978-1980 period completely. And I am pretty sure Cousins beat Hoffmann at the 79 Worlds where he finished 2nd to Hoffmann's 3rd (Kovalev won).

25. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yaguin-Plushenko, nothing else even comes close.

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Other - Zayak v. Sumners No question. Plush and Yags come next.

27. judgejudy27

Zayak and Sumners wasnt that good a rivalry IMO. Sumners upset a splatty Zayak at 82 Nationals, Zayak won Worlds that year where Sumners was 6th and never in contention. Then from there Zayak was a non threat burdened by injuries, weight issues, and lack of support from the USFSA, whereas Sumners rose to the top of the U.S and World until being upset for the Olympic Gold by Witt.

28. bardtoob

Mueller used the same magic formula for Hoffman that she used for Annette, but Hoffman was more dominant.

Linda had tons of field moves, now called transitions, and did her 3t in combination, now called a sequence, with split jumps. Her biggest problems were her back positions in her layback and classic sit spins (her cannon ball sit spin was actually quite good). Also, Linda was not a naturely extroverted performer, or person for that matter, often described as studious and painfully shy.

Linda could have worked on here weaknesses in Freeskating. However, Annett was really coming on strong in figures and was not that interesting as a freeskater herself, so Linda had to focus on figures.

You have to also remember that certain aspects of performing were looked down upon in snooty amateur skating at that time and were not expected to be developed until a skater went pro. In fact, Linda's costumes, which are rather simple by today's standards, were compared to Vegas showgirl costumes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  29. duane

duane New Member

My sentiments exactly. These two were clearly the top dogs of figure skating for 4-5 years, and their less-than-friendly rivalry was exciting!

30. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Yagudin-Plushenko, no doubt!