Greatest European Ladies Singles Skater Of All Time?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Feb 21, 2012.

Greatest European Ladies Singles Skater Of All Time?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Herma Szabo

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Sonja Henie

41 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Cecilia Colledge

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Sjoukje Dijkstra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gabriele Seyfert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Anett Pötzsch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Denise Biellmann

7 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. Katarina Witt

71 vote(s)
    33.2%
  9. Oksana Baiul

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. Irina Slutskaya

62 vote(s)
    29.0%
  11. Maria Butyrskaya

8 vote(s)
    3.7%
  12. Other

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Following on from the North American version, who was the greatest European ladies singles skater of all time?

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

If we consider medals alone, it's Sonia Henie (sp?) hands down, but the sport was very different back then. I have a hard enough time comparing Katarina with Irina. So it's very hard to pick just one from this entire list. I went with Irina only because I am thinking of the ones I actually saw skating. That is not to take anything away from Henie or other great European ladies.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I missed the Witt years because I was too young but I have watched them since on Youtube.
    I was never a fan of Slutskaya when she was skated but have grown to like watching her programes since she retired.
    Bonaly was dominating Europe when I first started watching skating.
    I REALLY can't choose between these three as they are so different.
    I think this is the first time I can't choose !
    From a personal point of view Butyrskaya was my favourite.
    Yes she was very inconsistent & did not have the natural ability of some but she always held my interest right through the years.
    But I do understand that she was not dominant like others.
    Help !. I can't choose !.

4. icellist

icellist Member

darn, i didn't see Denise Biellmann when I was voting and clicked other. But she's got my vote

5. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I voted Slutskaya for her jumps and spins, but I honestly don't know much about 6 of the ladies on this poll. If it was a poll for best competitor then I'd have picked Witt.

6. os168

os168 Active Member

Dame/Countessa Katerina Witt!!! No one does a European program like her.
    She defines 'own it' on ice.

She owned the ice, owned carmen, owned the audience, owned the judges, and owned anyone who's ever compete against her in one way or the other.

7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Sonja Henie.

8. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Witt may have owned it all, but Bonaly had the best toe pushes in the business and she's not even on the list. :wuzrobbed (((Surya)))

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here so 2 move from other to Biellmann

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Surya could jump and I loved watching her live in exhibition. But she could not skate. She could barely spin. She looked stiff and telegraphed her jumps. To borrow from a reporter commenting on Bonaly back in her day 'between the jumps she looks as if she's skating on double runners.'

Surya could not find an edge to save her life.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I picked Colledge because she was such an innovator.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Sonja Henie, even if I've never seen her.
    Carolina Kostner is not an option, too bad.

13. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Denise Biellmann would have won multiple world titles had she not retired from amateur competitions so early.

14. Excidra

Excidra New Member

Slutskaya

15. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Irina Slutskaya

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I agree, and I wonder what it would have been against Katarina Witt.

17. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I've hesitated between Witt and Irina but Irina gets my vote. Even without OGM, she's the most technically suberb, artistically spiritful skater out of all European ladies.

18. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

It's really difficult to chose between Witt and Slutskaya but I ended up voting for Irina.

19. Nours

Nours Active Member

As usual Surya is blacklisted. Only a five time winner in a row anyway. Let's say, there's quite a difference between what wou can see on you tube and what it was like when you were in the arena ; specially when time flew from there. I understand most of the people here don't like her skating but still, I can't see how she could be erased like this.
    She even disapeared from the most decorated Euro Ladies tables in some of the most popular online skating places. Now the right history is : Slutskaya 7, Witt 6 and... Kostner 4. It's not like it was a surprise though.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Henie completely dominated her sport for the entire 20th century. Has more gold medals than god, completely revolutionized the sport so that not only did she have clones of herself challenging her but then went on to become the most popular fs to the general public of all time and inspired the us ladies to dominate the sport for an entire half century.

Kat dominated for her cycle and still to this day draws crowds and is a household name.

Irina.......um....... Um....... She...... Um..... Well....... She......um.......you see.....she ...um...well, she was fast.

21. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

....And she knew how to feed those chickens like nobodys business!

For me it was between Slutskaya, Henie, and Witt. Athleticism, longevity, star quality & results.

In the end I voted for Henie, as I feel she best embodies all of those things.

22. PashaFan

I agree. Bonaly was amazing live. I got to see her a couple of times at the Europeans & she was so fast.
    She was so slated in the 90's. Whenever I heard Sandra Bezic talk about her she would really put the knife in.
    I liked Surya because she was so different. I did not want to see 20 Kerrigan like skaters or 20 Baiul's. They were individual & wonderful in their own right.
    IMO Surya should have won World's in 93' when Kerrigan fell apart & Baiul lacked combinations. But I think Baiul should have won the Europeans in 94'.
    As for the greatest European lady, Im leaning towards Kostner as I enjoy watching her slightly more than Slutskaya who for me was a bit robotic (IMO).
    I love watching Witt on Youtube & she did a lot for the profile of skating.
    Kostner has been on the podium every year since 06'.
    If you take out the years of Slutskaya's & Kostners wins you have 04' Sebestyan winning in her home country, 09' Lapisto winning in her home country & 11' Meier winning in her home country.
    IMO I would have had Kostner winning in 09 & 11.

23. berthesghost

:rofl: EYS!

Except for those 3 pesky times Maria beat irina, none of which were in Russia... :shuffle:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  24. PashaFan

I'm very pro-Maria. So like a good politician I left her out !.
    Did Irina compete at the Euro's in 99?. I can't remember her there.

25. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner :)

26. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Best competitor would be Witt easily. Most decorated would be Henjie. Slutskaya was probably the best skater though. She also had amazing longevity for the modern era.

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Surprised Kostner didn't make the list. But Irina I think.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I agree with this. I would say Henie was a great competitor too. The sport was different back then, but she won all those gold medals. It's hard to control nerves and they matter even in figures. I picked Irina overall though.

29. berthesghost

Henie had great fast spins, basic positions, but her blur spin was amazing. irina had all of those gumbie spins that picked showing off flexibility over beauty of position, plus she traveled so much I always wanted to slap luggage travel stickers on her. :lol:

Henie had great musicality. Irina, not so much IMHO.

Henie came on the scene when women didn't even jump and was one of the first to regularly do them. Irina was born like 30 years after the first triple was landed. I always hated the way she almost came to a complete stop on jump landings.

30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Voted for Irina as I cannot evalu