Great Skaters that Never Qualified for Nationals

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jenna, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Sophia Adams (SWP) definitely comes to mind. She is a fantastic skater. Gorgeous body line and posture. Great spinner and she is a good jumper when she's on too. Unfortunately, consistency has cost her a chance to compete at Nationals. Who are some others?

2. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Tashe Smith on the West Coast comes to mind.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Katherine Healy. Suzanne MacDonald.

4. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Maybe this is just me but if they can't get to Nationals, then are they really great skaters?

zaphyre14 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of "great skaters". ;) There are always the "beautiful skaters who can't jump" or skaters who are great when they're on, but are inconsistent. There are also skaters who are very good but have the misfortune of being in a crowded section (like Jeremy Abbott and Braden Overett in '06).

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Do you mean specifically Sr. Nationals?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Suzanne McDonald (SC of New York) qualified for U.S. Nationals once -- as a Senior in 2004 (ETA: she placed 18th and was listed as "Suzy" in the official results).

I remember when Kayla Howey's name came up last season as someone who had consistently "come close" to qualifying for U.S. Nationals as a novice and junior but hadn't due to the depth/competitiveness of her regional and sectional. Well, she finally made it to Nationals as a Senior in 2010! :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  8. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I was wondering about that myself. :huh:

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

...and the majority of skaters that do make it to Nationals are indeed very good skaters in their own rights, but only an extremely rare few can be labeled as "great".

Also, skaters that don't make it to Nationals are too obscure for a large section of skating fans to know them about anyway.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well, I competed against a lot of skaters in my day that I considered great. If you can land a triple jump, to me, that is certainly something to ride home about. Also, passing a senior free skate test is a fantastic achievement. Many skaters (most actually) work hard for decades to be able to have the chance to compete at the National Championships. The vast majority do not achieve this goal. However, as a skating mom myself, I see the blood, sweat, and tears that these young athletes pour into their sport for a slim chance at making it bigtime. So, in summary, I think there are also many "great" skaters that never qualified for nationals. JMO.

11. leafygreens

Oh ok. I saw her, it must have been 2003, skating an exhibition at Rockefeller Center with the Ice Theatre. They announced her as an "apprentice" who was "first alternate to the U.S. Nationals." I guess that means she got 5th place at sectionals. So she must have gotten to Nationals the following year. I just remember her being a very elegant skater, as pretty much all Ice Theatre skaters are. I was surprised that at her level, she was "only" an apprentice, because she looked really good.

12. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Umm... IMHO, they very well could be GREAT skaters if they are from a country with a rela history/depth in figure skating like the US, Japan, Russia, etc. Not meaning to offend anyone, but such skaters are very likely better than many that make it Nationals in countries with less competitors -

13. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

I was just thinking--is there going to be another thread, "Terrible Skaters Who Never Qualified for Nationals"? I wonder if there were very many of those? ;)

14. leafygreens

Or "Terrible Skaters Who Did Qualify for Nationals" would be entertaining.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Michaelee Scarincio.Well, this girl DID qualify for nationals, but the last time she went was in 2007 where she finished 10th in junior ladies, which was disappointing because many thought she had a shot at a medal. Since 2007 she's been hampered with a lot of injuries likely due to a big growthspurt and has recently given up competitive skating altogether, but she really was a very lovely skater back in the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons. What was really special about this skater was her ballet training, in addition to all the skating she took ballet lessons (at Ballet Regeant and then later Boston Ballet - not rink ballet classes) almost every day, and it's clearly visible in her skating. Her speed and super long legs also made her skating appear very elegant.

Here are some videos of Michaelee from 06-07:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAQFsMYVBY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9v6nExHgY&feature=related

Not the best jump technique and she didn't have all the triples yet, but I still find her a beautiful skater.

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Who could forget Michaelee? She was great. It's too bad her string of injuries hampered her career. I think she could've been very successful on the senior level.

17. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between "beautiful" and "great." At least in my book.

18. Emmett

Emmett Member

How about Diane Deleuw (sp)- 1975 world champion who never made it out of southwest pacifics, or Susan Driano (forget which year in 1970's ) world bronze medalist who never made it out of Pacific Coast?

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Having seen utube performances of Dianne's 75 LP and at the World Pros, I definitely would not qualify her as a "great" skater.

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If an Olympic silver medalist and World Champion (regardless how she got those awards) is not a "great" skater then nobody who never qualified to even skate at Senior Nationals is.

21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:huh: World Champion is pretty much the pinnacle of the sport. If that isn't "great," then I don't know what is.

22. bardtoob

:huh: Why is Dianne de Leeuw even being discussed? She was 6 TIME DUTCH NATIONAL CHAMPION, 1 TIME EUROPEAN CHAMPION, 1 TIME WORLD CHAMPION, AND AN OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Because she competed in the U.S. originally (ETA: I'm assuming she never made it to U.S. Nationals, based on Emmett's post): http://figureskating.about.com/od/profilesoffamousskaters/p/deleeuw.htm

Trivia: de Leuuw (with Doug Chapman) currently coaches and up-and-coming U.S. Senior lady Vanessa Lam.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  24. bardtoob

Errr . . . she still made it to multiple Nationals, and, yeah, she was the original country jumper and it used to drive USFSA nuts.

25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Multiple Dutch nationals...

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What's wrong with just saying that DeLeeuw was a very good skater, which all World Champions were/are? If you want to apply the "great" label to her then what made her great?

27. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

For the purposes of this thread, I consider Diane to be "great." Afterall, the thread title is "Great Skaters that Never Qualified for Nationals." Diane never qualified for nationals in the US, but she switched to the Netherlands and became world champion. In my opinion, every skater that has won worlds is "great;" de Leeuw, Ando, Asada, Kim, Meissner, etc.

28. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

Oh I agree about Sophia. Every year I hope this is the year she gets it together in competition and makes nationals! She is lovely to watch and really can jump. Just never when it counts I guess.

29. pinky166

She was both though! She was landing 3-3s before she got injured! And a friend of mine took ballet with her and said she was a very gifted dancer as well.

30. pinky166

post deleted

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010