Great routines of the past you'd like to see today's skaters doing

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Here's another summer-fun trash-can topic. I was watching some of my old tapes/DVDs from the 1980s 'Landover' World Pros competitions this past weekend. The 1985 edition included two superb 'classics' from Robin Cousins: 'Horizon' (tech program) and the tap-dancing carefree 'Satan Takes a Holiday' (artistic). As I watched Robin I thought "Gee, I'd love to see Evan Lysacek skating to 'Satan Takes a Holiday' someday!" Both Olympic champs have similar tall, long body types.

Just as ballet dancers reprise famous dances...why can't great figure skaters occasionally try to perform some of the wonderful routines of the past? So here's my question: Which great routine(s) of the past would you like to see performed by a current eligible (or recently-retired) skater and who would that skater be?

Mine:

Robin Cousins' 'Satan Takes a Holiday' perfomed by Evan Lysacek...or a perky female version of the same choreography by Alena Leonova!

Scott Hamilton's "Walk this Way" performed by Keegan Messing (yeah, I see a lot of Scott in Keegan)

Gordeeva/Grinkov's 1988 classical LP (Mendelssohn Italian Symphony) performed by Sui/Han

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL
    I want great routines of the past to be skated by the same skater, but today !
    For example, I'd love to watch John Curry performing live his Don Quixote LP !
    Or G&G's Reverie. Grishuk&Platov 1997 FD...and so on !

3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I could see Nagasu doing Michelle's DoD SP.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'd settle for the great performances of the past, from the video archives!

5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Mirai is nowhere close to being mature enough to handle that elegant program IMO based on what we've seen from her to this point.

6. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Cousins' Horizon and Satan Takes a Holiday are my favourite men's pro skates ever. What a master.

7. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

No, she isn't, but I think it would be fun to watch her try.

It's not like I said Lyra, which probably only Janet Lynn or Laurance Owen could have pulled off.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

Canadian content edition:

Virtue & Moir doing Bourne & Kraatz's first version of Christopher Dean's Heart Attack from the 1998-1999 season.

I also want to see Patrick Chan or Jeffrey Buttle perform Kurt's Antares.

9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^This :40beers:

10. skfan

skfan New Member

volosozhar and trankov (sp) skating to M&D's liebestraum, or G&G's vocalise :)

i think mirai is ready for 'kissing you', if not DoD. i'm probably the only who considers it a masterpiece, though.

i want to see not just mirai but everybody skating to MK's rachmaninov program. that program is great enough that it should be like balachine's midsummer night's dream or macmillan's romeo and juliet--every ballet company (skater) should put on their own production of it :)

and all the men should skate kurt's casablanca. we've seen ross miner's attempt to rewrite the gospel--now let ross and all the other guys go back to the one 'true' version :)

11. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Mao--Michelle's East of Eden (short program--I don't think she could pull off the World Pro version)

Yu Na--Michelle's Lamente D'Ariane

Mirai-Sasha's Dark Eyes or Malaguena

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't want anyone skating to recycled routines. I want to see the old skaters who made them masterpieces skating to them, and the new skaters skating to new but different masterpieces. :)

13. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

This!

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else try "Revolutions" (Kulik's Olympic SP), just because the music is so unusual, but I'd rather see him do it again! (And the scary part is, he could probably just about complete it at the same technical level!) I fear, however, that I'm the only one who really loved Revolutions...:(

Adam Rippon has already done this - by attempting to recreate Alexander Abt's Rachimanoff LP from 2002. Sasha did it better, sorry2say. ;)

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'd like to see today's pairs skating doing pre-COP routines -- which were much more in unison!

15. skfan

skfan New Member

i absolutely respect that every skater has different talents and there is no program equally suitable to all skaters. in the ideal world it would be great if everybody created their own signature pieces. and every skater skated their signature piece perfectly at least once.

but in the not so ideal world great music cut + great choreography coincide rarely, IMHO, and i like the idea of a signature piece for a company that the new and ever changing crew of skaters can go back to--like a warhorse, except this war horse comes with its own patented musical cut and choreography :) maybe the next generation of toller cranstons will require that everyone wanting to join the toller tour (hypothetical name) audition using one of 'signature' pieces, wearing the designated costumes :)

16. Frau Muller

Got a couple more:

Kanako Murakami skating Dorothy Hamill's "Do the Bear-cat"

Johnny Weir skating Dorothy Hamill's "Take Back the Mink" :)

17. Frau Muller

Just one mo':

Ryan Bradley skating to xxxxxxx (fill-in any Classic Candeloro routine, e.g., "Rocky")

18. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I'd love to see any current pair try to emulate G&G's unison and gorgeous lines - pick any of their mature programs and reproduce it.

My point clearly is that it couldn't be done - no one has that training or control any more. But I'd love to see some pair try it and learn from it.

19. Frau Muller

Willowway, you are correct. The same philosophy could be applied to any of today's eligible single skaters who opt to skate any Scott Hamilton or Kurt Browning routines with the fast-changing footwork down a straight line. The reason why I mentioned Keegan Messing as my 'hope' for trying a Scott routine is because his footwork shows so many of Scott's traits. Keegan is a rarity...but I'm hardly saying that Keegan is anywhere close to Scott's perfection at this time. Keegan has the potential & the natural on-ice personality when he is 'on.'

20. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Not at all. Kulik's Krew is full of folks who loved it and love it still. It was a marvelous SP for the 6.0 system and done flawlessly in Nagano. The choice music (so interesting) was Ilia's father's notion. Good input Dad!

21. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Oh, excellent! It just seems sometimes like whenever people talk about Nagano they only mention RiB!

Ilia's Dad made an AWESOME suggestion. I love it.

22. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I've always liked the idea of "repertory skating". Even if it wasn't performed publicly, I think most skaters would benefit from learning classic, groundbreaking programs. If nothing else, learning the performing aspects of those programs would help young skaters learn to project to the audience and portray emotion on ice.

For example - Dance teams learning some of Torvill and Dean's OSP's and even Bolero would be a great learning experience.

I also agree with you about ballet. I love watching great ballets - Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake etc. The analogy could be made that great skating programs could be interpreted over and over again and enjoyed every time.

23. edonice

edonice New Member

This is a great idea for a tribute show, to have skaters recreate iconic programs that their mentors skated. Sure, it kind of seems like sacrilege, but it’s also a beautiful way of connecting the past and present. It happens all the time in ballet that a piece is created for one dancer, and it lives on in repertory. The original dancer isn’t forgotten; if anything it helps the dancer’s legacy live on.

Here are my picks:

Janet Lynn’s ‘Afternoon of a Faun’ performed by Michelle Kwan
    John Curry’s 1976 long program performed by Daisuke Takahashi
    Ekaterina Gordeeva’s ‘Fragile’ show program in 1999 performed by Alissa Czisny
    Dorothy Hamill’s 1976 LP performed by Rachael Flatt
    Brian Boitano 1988 LP performed by Evan Lysacek
    Katarina Witt's Carmen 1988 LP performed by Carolina Kostner
    Kurt Browning 1994 Casablanca LP performed by Jeremy Abbott
    Michelle Kwan’s 1998 Rachmaninoff SP performed by Mao Asada
    Sasha Cohen’s 2006 SP performed by Mirai Nagasu

If nothing else, trying out another skater’s style would be an amazing learning experience for these skaters. Sasha Cohen’s sass fits Mirai, Michelle’s lyrical style and connection to the audience would be great for Mao, and Ekaterina Gordeeva’s show program ‘Fragile’ has a sense of inner and growing strength that’s just right for where Alissa is right now.

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

25. os168

os168 Active Member

I like the idea of a tribute show with the full blessing of the original performer / choreographer ... but generally I prefer nothing great ever get the 'remake' treatment.

I just don't see how it can end well generally, without a bit disparaging to either parties at the end of the day. The good taste line is so fine, it would take an amazing artist to realize it.

26. miki88

miki88 New Member

I would love to see Mao doing a rendition of Lu Chen's "Spring Breeze" SP. The quiet and lyrical quality of that program fits her well. :)

27. Frau Muller

I agree that it would be tough to actually do this in the context of a show or competition...but I'd pay A MINT to see Alena Leonova tackle 'Satan Takes a Holiday'...can't you just PICTURE it? Even more so than my original thought about Evan trying it.

28. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

i loved it.

29. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd like to see today's skaters imitating skaters of the past, but it would be interesting to see some of them work together. For example, I wonder what kind of choreography Stephane Lambiel and Robin Cousins would come up with if they put their heads together.

30. Frau Muller

I don't see this as "skaters imitating skaters of the past" at all. Pavlova's "The Swan" and Nijinsky's "Spectre de la Rose" have been danced by countless interpreters since the originators. Truly first-class skating numbers, like ballets, can become great numbers via different interpretations by subsequent performers.