Great Olympic performances that did not make the podium

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

There have been some memorable Olympic performances (I am mainly thinking of LP but great SP cannot be excluded either) by skaters that did not win a medal in that Olympic. If my memory serves me right,

1984- Blumberg & Seibert, Tiffany Chin

1988- Midori Ito, Kurt Browning, Annenko-Sretenski

1992-Christopher Bowman, Kovarikova-Novotny, Grishchuk-Platov

1994-Katarina Witt (despite her mistake at the end, and the lack of difficult triple jumps, this was a wonderful emotional performance), Viktor Petrenko (LP), Kurt Browning (LP)

1998-Bourne & Katz (Riverdance)

2002- Ina & Zimmerman, Sasha Cohen, Takeshi Honda (SP)

2006- Johnny Weir (SP), Petrova-Tikhonov (SP)

2010- Kawaguchi-Smirnov (SP)

2. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I'm not an uberfan of any of the following, but I'm sure a case could be made for Denise Biellmann (1980 FS), Elaine Zayak (1984 SP and FS), and Mirai Nagasu (2010 SP and FS).

3. Libertango

Libertango New Member

2002 - Drobiazko/Vanagas (FD)

2006 - Denkova/Staviski (FD), Delobel/Schoenfelder (FD and overall). B/A and G/G were so bad in the FD :scream:

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yes! (Especially Zayak.)

5. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Ditto to Drobiazko/Vanagas and Delobel/Schoenfelder. Those were magnificent dances by two of the most charismatic dance teams in the recent years.

6. floskate

floskate Vacant

Some obscure ones.....

1976 Robin Cousins. Everything I've ever read says he was completely robbed. This was also his hardest ever LP with 5 triples. A video of this performance is one of my holy grails.

1972 Starbuck & Shelley. Haven't seen it but from magazine reports, they skated better in Sapporo to finish 4th than they did at 1972 Calgary Worlds to finish 3rd. Total politiks.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Midori Ito - 1988 Calgary - If it hadn't been for compulsory figures, I have no doubt she would have been on the Olympic podium.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Joannie Rochette 2006 Olympics LP :)

9. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Rachael Flatt 2010 LP - Those flips should not have been downgraded.

10. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

Absolutely. Instantly thought of them when reading the thread title.

And let me add Moniotte/Lavanchy 1994 (FD).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Nagasu & Lepisto's FS were two of my favorite performances from the 2012 Olympics

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Tiffany Chin. She was at her career peak Sarejevo.

13. matti

matti Active Member

Virginia "Ginny" Baxter of USA won the free skating in Oslo 1952, but ended 5th overall. I don't know anything about her performance, though...

14. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Drobiazko/Vanagas FD 2006.
    Ina/Zimmerman FS 2002.

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

The first one I thought of is Mirai Nagasu's FS in 2010. I really think she should have got the bronze.

Some people may want to pelt me with objects, but B&K in 1998 and 2002 (judging by the FD in 1998, I know their OD wasn't the greatest, and judging by both dances in 2002).

Oh, and B&A in 2010. They totally were robbed for the bronze.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I agree about Denise (1980)- it's etched in my memory so well- and Elaine. I was thinking of adding Mirai's name for 2010, but I could not even remember her performances, so I did not.

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Oooh, I forgot about Denise. She was definitely the head of the class at Lake Placid in both the SP and LP.

I didn't think Ina & Zimmerman's was medal worthy at all. For them to be on the podium would have meant that either B&S, S&S, or the Canadians was off the podium. I & Z was not the same league as those pairs.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Agreed. For I&Z to skate the way they did was a big victory but they were really a second tier pair compared to the top 3.

19. jobelle

jobelle Member

Well wasn't the OP asking about memorable not necessarily about skates that deserved to medal but didn't? For me Ina & Zimmerman's skate in '02 is the most memorable of the non-medalists and it is a program that I do go back and watch periodically.

20. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Just seconding that B/A were absolutely robbed of a medal in 2010. D/S were great in the compulsory dance, but between their programs and Max's knees, they shouldn't have been anywhere near that podium.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

You are right. As usual, sometimes posters start something related but not necessarily exactly what was asked, and I am fine with it. I agree about I&Z.

Although I did not mention it, Shishkova-Naumov's SP performance at 'take Five' at the 92 Oly is etched in my memory. I saw their skating for the first time and they impressed me as a pair to watch for.

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Bronze ahead of Joannie Rochette ?

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Blumberg & Seibert, and both Chin and Zayak in 84 were some of the biggest. I would even say Cerne in 84 perhaps, and I think he should have gotten the bronze instead of Jozef as well.

I would say Moniotte & Lavanchy in 94, not that they could have or ever should have medaled in that field of course, but their Fred & Ginger was wonderful and by far their best work ever. Was great to see them win silver at Worlds later that year with it.

Although I dont think they deserved a medal overall I do think Bourne & Kraatz's Riverdance was excellent and one of their best performances ever.

Ina & Zimmerman was a great personal performance and I actually think you could make the case of them finishing 4th or even 3rd. Shen & Zhou had a really subpar skate for their standards that night, tried the quad salchow then struggled the rest of the performance, while a young Totmianina & Marining were also off their level of the preceding competitions that night. Petrova & Tikhonov turned in their best ever Olympic performance, but were buried by the deep field and the loss of momentum and support from their own federation and the international judges, shame they didnt have this in 2006 instead as they would have easily medaled if they had. Suguri was a great personal performance and quite enjoyable, might have had a medal shot if the Olympics werent in the U.S and she didnt draw almost first to skate in the short program. Drobiazko & Vanagas had a stellar FD and were truly robbed of a much higher placing in that program atleast.

In Turin Pang & Tong had an excellent performance and were definitely robbed of a medal, but the Chinese fed. was all about the Zhangs and Shen & Zhou around then. Suguri had a wonderful personal performance again, although I agreed with her 4th place. Delobel & Schoenfelder and Denkova & Stayviski had very strong FD performances.

In Vancouver Nagasu, Lepisto, Flatt all had wonderful personal performances and could have medaled in many other Olympics. Heck there were some after the event who said Nagasu would have won gold at any of the past Olympics with her skates here, yet only came 4th here, the ladies event was insane, by far the strongest ever. The other events in Vancouver were all pretty lackluster apart from the top 2 in the dance.

TwizzlerS and (deleted member) like this.
  24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It's too bad the didn't give medals for the sp and fs separately.

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Lepisto, Nagasu FS at 2010 Olympics

Weir FS at 2010 Olympics (not a huge fan, but I was a little irked when he placed behind Chan and Lambiel, both of whom were obviously off when they skated and made numerous mistakes each, in that segment after delivering an inspired and nearly clean program).

Lysacek FS at 2006 Olympics

Cohen FS at 2006 Olympics

26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Cohen won silver at the 2006 Olympics. This thread is about those who did not medal. Did you mean 2002? BTW I LOVED her SP in the 2002 Olys.

27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with blue_idealist also... Quite honestly, even though Joannie became the darling of those Olympics due to personal circumstances, she made 4 major glaring errors in her LP and it was definitely NOT worth the 130+ that she received in the LP. She had a major step out on the flip (and was leaning) and the double axel had a slight turn out, which were her two most visible errors. Her second lutz and her triple salchow (in the sequence) were both clearly underrotated and if the technical panel wanted, they could have easily given them < marks. Besides, I hated the choreography for Joannie's LP anyway-- that step sequence was horrendously put together. And on top of that, Mirai was undermarked on PCS in the SP (considering she was pretty unknown still to the international panel at that point).

Even the Eursport commentators thought Mirai would place second ahead of Mao and Joannie in the LP, but ended up placing 5th in the LP (behind Kim, Asada, Rochette, and Lepisto), and they were appalled when her LP mark didn't even break 130, despite the fact that Mirai was going bonkers over her LP score and placement.

28. Proustable

Proustable New Member

2010: Faiella/Scali and Delobel/Schoenfelder. Nagasu, Flatt, Lepisto, Suzuki.

2006: Denkova/Staviski and Drobiazko/Vanagas. Joannie Rochette.

2002: Drobiazko/Vanagas.

29. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Ito in '88. I was watching the Olympics with my boyfriend who had no interest in FS and even he enjoyed her performance. Her flying sit spin was so high and she looked so joyful.

Laeticia Hubert's short program in '92. She was only 16 and no one expected anything of her. She had a fantastic skate and ended up in the top group with Ito and Yamaguchi. Then she had that disastrous long program that left her with the nickname "Human Zamboni".

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I meant 2002. And yes, that SP was amazing, as was her FS, even though it was to Carmen.