Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

No, Max is definitely more of a threat to Evan than Jason, but what I'm saying is, there's already a good chance Max beats Evan at SA, so given that, should the 3rd entrant also beat Evan, then that's really bad news for Lysacek. Having Max on the roster probably makes any Evan promoter more wary of having a strong 3rd entrant there, because if Evan underperforms and Jason delivers, then there is a good chance Jason comes out on top, given how he can rack up the GOE and pull points out of nowhere.

2. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Actually last year Zhang wasn't at SA. It was Wagner, Gao, and Flatt.

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I see that Denney / Frazier are ranked #21 in the World Standings. Since they only have one GP assignment (NHK), does anyone feel that they would have a great shot to be a substitute for a 2nd assignment? They're newbie Seniors, so I don't think many foreign Federations would think of them as 'threats' to screw up the rankings at any given GP competition. Also, where exactly are Davis / Brubaker in the context of substitutions? Thanks

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If last year's selections are any indication, (return) split couples Davis/Brubaker and Takahashi/Kihana will get the first two, assuming they aren't already there, they're aren't already three from their Fed, etc. The way the announcement is written, they could be in the first group of five and anyone else in the group could be picked over them.

6. olympic

Thanks.

Is this in reference to D/F?

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

No, that was in relation to the split.couples D/B and T/K. Technically, the way the announcement is written (since last season), all replacement groups are put in groups of five, starting with return and split couples, then Top 24 SB, then 25-75 SB, then winners of the first five or sic senior B's. In practice thast year, the two split couples, both from the US, were the first replacments for Marley/Brubaker's two spots, but that could have been to swap US skaters with US skaters and/or optional.

8. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Takahashi and Kihara already have two assignments (COR and NHK). Purich and Tran only have one though.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

:duh: Of course: Takahashi/Kihara got their second a few weeks ago, not her former partner and his new one.

ETA: I wouldn't say Denney/ Frasier have a great shot at getting a second. I don't think that there will be the splits we had this year, an Olympic year, and while injuries can happen, I don't foresee mass substitutions like last season.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. olympic

OK. I was thinking that little muscle pulls, sore joints causes extra caution in an Olympic season, creating more situations for withdrawals. Thanks for the insight

11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Yay Adam! :cheer2::cheer:

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It's possible that skaters will be more cautious, but aside from the very top teams, who could try to avoid making GPF so that they don't have to travel to Japan, they all need feedback on their programs. There aren't that many pairs outside N/A for whom their Nationals are make or break for the Olympic team; many Euro OC's require a certain minimum placement at Euros, and they'd skip Nationals to heal a nagging injury. There's also a propensity for late withdrawals that aren't replaced. The early ones tend to be for splits and couples.that are I'll.injured at the start of the season, or who like the Wendes took off a non-Olympic season for personal/family issues.

The best case scenario for D/F, assuming hosts will ignore the clause about giving Top 24 SB a second in ranking order, is that D/B and P/T are put in the groups of five instead of being chosen off the top, and that D/F are chosen quickly, as a possibl swap if another US team.is injured or not recovered in tme from surgery. Still, D/B are more likely to be first in line, given USFS support of Brubaker.

13. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

14. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

USFSA just posted on Facebook that Hubbell/Donohue got the last SA dance spot.

:wuzrobbed for Lynn and Logan.

15. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

As much as I love Lynn and Logan, I think it's clear that there are only four teams in contention for Olympic and Worlds spots this year, and that USFSA is trying to get those four teams as much exposure as possible. Sadly, it would appear that Lynn and Logan aren't one of those four teams.

(I still hope they can kick butt and get in the mix.)

16. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I'm actually happy about this. :shuffle: I love H/D and hope they go to the Olympics.

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  17. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I'm thrilled as well. I adore H/D and am so happy to see them with a second GP. I hope they make the Olympic team as well.

18. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

I am too! I'm rooting for them. Nationals is going to be so heartbreaking for whoever comes in 4th. I'm happy that they can enjoy this vote of confidence today.

19. jlai

jlai Title-less

While we are at it I wonder what ppl think Hicks' strategy is regarding moving up. Her chance of getting a gp is not good, thoughif she beats Gold or Agnes in Slc in Sept, USFs may take note. What are her chances of getting another assignment, gp or otherwise?

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

she can do a few B competitions and get some points so that she gets high season best and next year she gets GP event.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  21. jlai

jlai Title-less

I dont think seasons bests from sr Bs count?
    I suspect there is something in the line for Hicks or she wouldnt move up; at first we thought she would get SA but that isnt it

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't know if it counts. I thought it did because how else the skaters that don't have GP (skaters from countries that don't have very strong skating program) push through and get invited to GP? there must be a way how to get in. Or at least it earns points towards the ISU point ranking, if that is good for something...

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The only senior B that counts towards the SB list is Nebelhorn in the years it is the Olympic qualifier, and Cain has been assigned, with Baga and Lam the substitutes. Hicks is currently over 500 points away from Top 24. I don't see more than a few being removed from the list altogether, and even with a good placement at 4C's if she makes it -- the top US Ladies are unlikely to go to Taipei two weeks before Sochi -- it will be close. On the other hand, 4C's may be her best chance to earn SB points; I think the Olympic team is a long-shot unless everyone else wipes out under pressure. (I doubt USFS would be as savvy as the Russian Fed and send a "B" team skater to WTT, like Russia did with Monko/Khaliavin, to get her a SB.)

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

If Hicks skates well/medals in SLC then she could get a second Senior B like Max Aaron did last year. Hicks has an automatic bye to 2014 U.S. Nationals so sending her, for example, to Ice Challenge, which conflicts with Sectionals in November, would not be an issue.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  25. olympic

I actually prefer H/D to S/S and C/B, but like K/GS just as much, so I'm torn. Are there any Senior B's out there for Ice Dance?

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

A couple of pages worth, if USFS will send them.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

See the U.S. Ice Dance news thread in GSD - I've listed which teams have Senior B assignments so far (4 teams in Salt Lake, 1 each at Nebelhorn, Nepela, and Finlandia) with Ice Challenge still TBA.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  28. Conga

Conga New Member

I like H/D and expected the SA assignment for them when K/G-S didn't get it before Champs Camp. This lack of confidence vote for K/G-S, though, could be so discouraging that they quit before Nationals (I believe others have done it) and I do hope that doesn't happen. I like them and was hoping that they would skate beyond the Olympics to see what Igor would do with them with more time.

29. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

They're not quitting. Here's a snippet of something Logan posted on my Facebook yesterday in response to my disappointment that they didn't receive the spot (my FB is public so hope he doesn't mind me sharing here):

Looking forward to seeing them in SLC!

30. Conga

Conga New Member

Thanks for sharing that information, TanithandBenFan. He's right, too, about never knowing...there are many examples of the unexpected happening :D