Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

My guess is the latter. Laurine Lecavelier already competed in the JGP in Latvia last week so is ineligible for GP; Marrocco hasn't competed on the JGP yet (though kirkbiggestfan's post above makes it sound like she is destined for the JGP this year).
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sad to see China and Japan still hasn't caught up in ice-dancing yet.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Reeds pulled up to Top 24 SB at WTT and are likely to be the top qualifying team at Nebelhorn. There were two low-scoring dance teams (one junior, one senior) at BC Summerskate, but they've got to start somewhere.

The Alternates lists look like this at the moment:

[*]27-Cesario (SA) -- Assigned to TEB to replace Silete (see Sylvia's post below)

Ladies:
    • 27-Imai (RC)
    • 30-Popova
    • 31-K. Zhang (CoC)
    • 32-Lacoste (SC)
    • 33-Gosviani (CoR) -- Added when Cesario was assigned
    with 34-Hicks and 35-Korobeynikova (CoC) next in line.

Men:
    • 22-Brown (TEB)
    • 23-Menshov (NHK)
    • 27-Rogozine (SC)
    • 28-Majorov (SA)
    • 31-Ge
    with 34-Balde (SC) and 35-Bush next.

Dance:
    • 13-Coomes/Buckland (TEB)
    • 14-Stepanova/Bukin (SC)
    • 18-Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (NHK)
    • 19-Zlobina/Sitnikov (SC)
    • 21-Kolbe/Caruso (NHK)
    with 22-Guignard/Fabbri (SC) and Heekin-Canedy/Dun (RC) next in line.

Pairs
    If what appeared to be last year's practice of giving (returning) split couples a second before creating Top Five from the SB list holds, then it will be Davis/Brubaker (SC) and Purich/Tran (TEB) first, and then the Top Five of:
    • 18-Martiusheva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 23-Purdy/Marinaro (SC)
    • 29-Wang/Zhang
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)
    with 34-Vartmann/Van Cleave next to slot in, and then 35-Kemp/King.

If what's written in the Announcement happens, then the Top Five will be:
    • Purich/Tran (TEB)
    • Davis/Brubaker (SC)
    • 18-Martiusheva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 23-Purdy/Marinaro (SC)
    with 29-Wang/Zhang and 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB) next in line.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  4. Conga

Conga New Member

Thanks for taking the time to go through and then post this information, kwanfan1818. Very helpful.
  5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This stuff is catnip to my essential nerd.
  6. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

• That leads me to think that the assigning of Rippon and Gachinski to the SkAm/COR TBAs is strategic, on the grounds that Brown and Menshov may yet get another assignment anyway.
  7. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Lena Marrocco was already competing on the senior Grand Prix in 2010/2011 (and 11/12 & 12/13 for that matter). I thought that there was a rule put in place after 2010 or so where skaters could not drop back down to the Junior series once they had competed in senior, and this was only for pairs who were previously able to compete in both circuits.** I guess I am incorrect? :confused:

** ETA- the rest of that sentence should include that I believe the other disciplines have always had a rule in place where once the skaters compete in the senior circuit, they can't drop back down to junior.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This could happen, but the host Federations could go with the skaters who they think would be the least competition. Brown has TEB, and USA has three men at SA, SC, and NHK: unless a US man pulled out for one of these, Brown could only sub for CoC or RC. Menshov is already at NHK. The only GP with three Russian Men is RC (Kovtun, Plushenko, and Gachinski), and the other four are open for him, and RC if one of the Russian Men were to withdraw.

The only GP with three Canadian Men is SC, and Rogozine is already signed up there. Majorov could sub anywhere but SA, and Ge could go anywhere he could get a visa. (He recently tweeted about more visa problems for Senior B's for which he's been signed up.)
  9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Kwanfan, thank you for the list posted above! It clarifies substitutions in one quick read!
  10. Sylvia

A rule was proposed but must not have passed at the 2012 ISU Congress: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...s-Discussion&p=3468897&viewfull=1#post3468897

:lol: Thank goodness for that! Thanks, as always.
  11. Sylvia

USFS just tweeted that Samantha Cesario "has been added to the 2013 Trophee Bompard roster."
  12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good news!
  13. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

Wait. So Cesario (8th Place at Nats) gets TWO Grand Prix Assignments, but Hicks (4th place at Nats) gets ZERO?!

What in the world is going on here?

Cesario has competed in virtually no major competition outside of Nationals.
  14. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Yes yes yes yes yes yes :swoon: :cheer: :cheer2: :kickass: :encore: :rollin: :biggrinbo :swoon: I can't believe my luck.
  15. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Cesario finished ahead of Hicks (and just off the podium) at Junior worlds.
  16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

She did finish 4th at 2013 JW.

But it isn't necessarily a compliment to Cesario that she got picked for TEB. She is less likely to challenge the remaining French ladies than the top picks from the SB list. Remember years ago when Emily Hughes was picked for TEB? She very nearly placed last.
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

While I think Hicks should have been assigned to SA,

• Cesario is tied for 27th on the SB list from her 157.72 at JPG Austria 2012.
    • Hicks's SB of 153.77 from JPG Lake Placid is 34th on the SB list.
    • Cesario has competed in five GPs and medalled in four of them, and was 4th at Jr. Worlds behind the Russian Wonderkids.
    • Hicks has competed in three GPs and medalled in two of them, and did well at Jr. Worlds, too, placing 5th, less than two points behind Cesario, up from 6th in 2011. (She was injured for 2012 Jr. Worlds.)

Both skaters had slightly lower scores at Jr. Worlds than at their highest-scoring GP's last season. They've had very similar results and experience internationally.
  18. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Nationals results have absolutely zero bearing on GP assignments, except sometimes for host picks.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Cesario's first assignment was the host pick, and she was in the first substitutes group. Given how close they are in international competition, I think that Hicks' pewter medal should have been the tie-breaker for SA.
  20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So Hicks gets hosed again? So much for skating better this summer then Cesario has.
  21. jlai

jlai Title-less

I tend to think USFS wants to assign JGP and TBA SA spots early and therefore did not want for all the summer comps to see who should get what. Esp with TBA SA spots, they want the TBA pick to go to champs camp, so sometimes the latest summer results are not taken into account
  22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I apologize because I know this has been asked a gazillion times, but will Courtney's score at the US Senior B in SLC count towards the season's best list? If she scores super high, will it bump her up on this year's alternates list? Or will it only impact next year's list?
  23. jlai

jlai Title-less

No seasons best; just ranking points
  24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I have a feeling that the SA spot wasn't so much Cesario vs Hicks but rather was reserved FOR Cesario, and all they needed to know was that she was skating decently in the summer before officially awarding the spot to her. If Hicks was ever a consideration, it just doesn't make sense for her to lose out to Cesario.

The TEB spot is much more logical given Cesario's higher placement at Jr Worlds last season.

I do have a feeling that Hicks' placement at the last Nationals was probably a little unexpected, and once Wagner and Gold got that 3rd spot back at Worlds, Hicks suddenly became a possible spoiler for that spot and this might have disrupted their plan to promote either Zawadzki, Gao or even Nagasu for that spot.
  25. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Yay for Samantha! I really like that girl, looking forward to seeing what she can do on the big stage.
  26. Conga

Conga New Member

I'm in the same camp with kwanfan1818 and had hoped Hicks would have been assigned SA, but I like Cesario, too. This is similar to my liking H/D and K/G-S in dance. One of my favorites in each discipline ended up without a GP as a result of the US decision for...whatever the reason. :(
  27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The TEB spot was assigned because she was eligible, i.e., in the Alternates list Top Five of the SB without two assignments. Her SB was not from Jr. Worlds, but from JGP Austria. Hicks was not eligible to be selected.

As far as her placement at Jr. Worlds, it was one spot above Hicks' and only 1.63 points higher than Hicks', less than one point per program. By contrast, Cesario was 5.65 points behind Pogorilaya. Cesario's advantage was marginal.

I wouldn't be surprised.
  28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I wonder if the TEB spot had been given to Cesario earlier, if USFSA would have gone with Hicks for SA.
  29. analia

analia Member

What's up with the French federation dissing Anais Ventard?
  30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I figure the SA TBA was initially reserved for Alissa if she was healed enough to take it. She'd be a much bigger draw. Since she was not, they just went with the default. The odds of Cesario or Hicks getting the 3rd Olympic spot are slim to none and next season will take care of itself.
  31. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I really like the version of reality where the USFSA has a conspiracy to make sure that Hicks doesn't get the third US spot at the Olympics. None of the ladies in contention for the third US spot is much of a threat to medal at the Olympics, none of them has a significant marketing advantage, and none of them has a history that suggests they would embarrass the US with their behavior. Even if USFSA was conspiring about who gets the Olympic spots, these would be the three factors they'd be considering. Beyond those factors, why would they care?
  32. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am very happy with Cesario having two GP spots. She is a beautiful, mature skater. I really hope she can fix her UR issues because she's got the PCS.

Their usual behaviour. Nobody is ever good enough for them. :(
  33. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

She is scheduled to compete at the Lombardia trophy in 2 weeks. A senior international against Sotnikova, ... Very curious to see where she stands now. Ventard has been dealing with health issues for a couple of seasons, to the point where she could not train full run throughs. She won French Nationals with only 3T and 3S and the French Fed would never send her a senior GP with that technical content.
  34. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Why would they care about pushing Richard Dornbush into a 4C's spot after he bombed at Nationals? They have people affiliated with clubs that are stronger than others who are influential on committees, the importance of or their relationship with coaches can sway their decisions, and they gave Zadwadzki -- one of my favorites, btw -- noticeably higher PCS at Nationals than international judges have and are clearly supporting her. They could be thinking ahead to the next Olympic cycle, and US #3, unless its Nagasu, who was at Vancouver, gains much valuable experience by having participated in the one before 2018.

In Dance, they gave Hubbell/Donohue their second GP and Nebelhorn -- H/D were guaranteed the first from being Top 24 on the SB list -- and Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt no early season SB opportunity. H/D are now right in the mix for a post D/W US team in the next Olympic cycle. In Ladies, they're pushing Cesario. Hicks, on the basis of technical skills -- they can't mess with base scores or as much with GOE as with PCS -- could again upset the applecart at Nationals -- she upset GP finalist Gao -- and Cesario, with her tech, most likely won't.

USFS didn't have to announce their SA picks before everyone else, published on 2 September, where Silete's WD was also announced, and if the French Fed was willing to be forthcoming about their intentions to choose Cesario ahead of time had USFS been in contact, then USFS could have given SA to Hicks and Cesario could have been picked for TEB. (Co SB #27, Imai, is at RC the next week.)
  35. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread now since it looks like Kiira Korpi may have to withdraw from Skate Canada due to her injury (torn Achilles, which I would think will keep her out for several weeks.)
  36. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Kiira has now been crossed off the ISU list so she is definitely out for Skate Canada. I would be surprised if she is able to do TEB either.

Obviously Lacoste won't be the replacement, so I'm guessing it will be either Imai or Popova. I hope it's Popova, I feel like she earned a GP spot with her strong finish at Worlds last season.
  37. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Kexin Zheng was great at '12 Worlds and has loads of potential. Unfortunately, she crashed and burned at '13 Worlds ...
  38. SidelineSkater

SidelineSkater New Member

My guess is Imai. She's close for travel costs, and is coached by the Dungjen/Sato camp. So is Jeremy Abbott and he's competing at SA too.
  39. icellist

icellist Member

For clarification, Jeremy Abbott is assigned to SC and NHK, not SA.

Imai is currently only assigned to RC
  40. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Lacoste is not an option, as she is already at SC. (Since she can't be considered, does that mean Hicks moves onto the list to be considered for this?)

K. Zhang is unlikely, as travel to COC would not allow time for her.

Agreed that Imai is a good guess. Imai's other GP (RC) is far enough apart to be no travel concern.

Gosviani is also a possibility, Popova as well; I believe her family lives in Canada.