Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Maybe Hicks will get that 2nd spot?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep. National federations always have to ok entries to any international competitions (non-ISU and adult ones as well).

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Apparently Leonova is out of NHK. Too late for a replacement sadly. :(

4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh no, do we have any details?
    after her withdrawal form skate canada she mentioned it was due to a minor injury and should be okay little later. something more serious or just not in competitive shape?

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not necessarily too late for a replacement. It's > 7 and < 14 days before the Team Leaders Meeting for NHK a week from Thursday. The GP Announcement says nothing about this period. It would be too late for CoC.

6. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

If there is a replacement, Kexin ZHANG would be the most likely, being close by.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I just checked the ISU documents: the last Ladies grid is dated 21 October and the last website roster is dated 17 October. Leonova is on both, at least at this moment. If her withdrawal isn't official by Thursday, then it will be within 7 days and the ISU can waive a replacement.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And because it doesn't, the organisers will surely interpret it in their favour. ;P

But yeah since there's no official update yet, that point is moot anyway. Maybe they asked her to not submit her replacement until 7 days before. :D

(Or maybe the poster who said she's out was wrong ;))

9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

But the Japanese fans do LOVE their figure skaters-- I can imagine disappointment if all of the rosters aren't full. I bet they make the effort to fill the spot.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't have all of the printouts, and some of my dates may be the first printout I have with evidence of a withdrawal or replacement, but from what I have in the last two years:

Of the skaters who withdrew between 8 and 13 days before the Team Leaders Meeting, last year:

*In Pairs, two were not replaced, and one was. One pair withdrew more than 14 days of the TLM, but wasn't replaced, but last year was desperate for Pairs, and at some point, they ran out of eligible substitutes. It wasn't until Scimeca/Knierem won one of the Senior B's that they had an eligible replacement, and they replaced Yankowskas/Reagan (who had replaced Marley/Brubaker) at NHK.

*In Ladies, Czisny was not replaced at NHK.​

This year, China made two replacements at the 10-day mark, one host replacement (Guo for Geng) and then Korobeynikova for Gosviana).

With the exception of one pair last season, all of the 14-day or earlier withdrawals were replaced, and none of the 7-day or later withdrawals were replaced.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wait, didn't Nagasu replace Czisny at NHK last year?

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It was Shelepen, who was replaced by Nagasu on the 12 November GP grid. Czisny was crossed out on the 14 November GP grid.

ETA: TEB is within the mandatory replacement period. It's a host pick, but with Besseghier and Amodio already there and Joubert not eligible for another assignment, the only French Men to score over 140 (total) in competition this year were three Juniors who skated JGP (Hocquaux, Tesson, and Tetar), and it's hard to imagine that the French Fed would send one of the others.

The Top Five alternates for Men are:
    23-Menshov (NHK, week before)
    25-Voronov (NHK, the week before)
    27-Rogozine (SC)
    28-Majorov (SA)
    31-Ge (none)

On the bubble: 34-Balde (SC)

Majorov would be the cheapest to send, and he'll probably get it , but if I were thinking of the audiences :grope: I'd pick francophone Balde. (Argh, I skipped Voronov inadvertently.)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  14. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

With Ponsart out, Im reposting Kwanfan's list of current alternates to keep it fresh:

Men:
    23-Menshov (NHK)
    25-Voronov (NHK)
    27-Rogozine (SC)
    28-Majorov (SA)
    31-Ge (none)

On the bubble: 34-Balde (SC).

I guess Majorov would be my bet to get the spot.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Knowing French fed, they probably won't give an opportunity to one of their skaters so I would also bet on Majorov (as he's close and he's not a threat to their men).

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's not like they have any really strong up and coming skaters to give a host pick to.

Too bad it won't go to Ge.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

From his tweets, he's been having a horrible time getting visas this year, worse than ever. China was his only hope, since he's living there now, but there were no WD's by Men in CoC.

18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Even if Ge did get picked, he has had so many visa issues this season, I would be surprised if he were actually able to show up.

19. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

If a non-french skater gets the spot I hope it goes to Menshov

20. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

As been said Ge has lots of visa problems. Menshov and Voronov are skating a week earlier in Japan which means travelling issues and them being russian some visa issues too. Majorov is the easiest pick.

21. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Menshov competed in Nice last weekend, so his visa for France/Schengen could still be valid.

22. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

MenshovMenshovMenshovMenshov *fingers crossed*

23. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Argh, too late to get Ge into the only event for which he doesn't need a visa.

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I bet he'd be up for it even at such short notice ;)

Hope it's nothing too serious for Reynolds.

26. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

He will probably accept, but I don't think Chinese federation will bother inviting him two days before the competition

It's so unfair. Poor Ge, I hope he won't be too upset about all the bad luck he has this season

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

China is a huge country but maybe he lives relatively nearby. A real shame. :(

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Just because he lives there doesn't mean he doesn't need a visa to compete, right? At least here (and of course, every country sets their own rules) a visa that lets you live and train in the US doesn't necessarily let you work in the US. I'm pretty sure I've read about this before.

I'd love to see the first five alternates as of October 1st on each of the disciplines list funded to get visas in advance for each of the GP events.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is a competition considered work?

30. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Majorov gets the spot at TEB, too bad for Menshov.