Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Verner isn't eligible for a selection. Winners of a few early season Senior B's, like Coupe de Nice, go to the *bottom* of the alternates list, and except in Pairs, it's highly unlikely that there will be enough withdrawals for them to get a selection. Even for Pairs, last year Scimeca/Knierem got an NHK replacement as the only eligible pair on the Pairs alternates list, while this year, because of the new GP TES minimums, Donlan/Speroff's win at Nepala got them the GP TES FS minimum, but didn't move them over higher-ranked PB couples that didn't meet the GP total minimum, but did the GP TES minimums. Under last year's rules, they'd be in the Top Five now.

The scores they earn at the Senior B's only rank them among other winners at the bottom of the list, at least the way the announcement is written. The only scores that used to rank skaters among those on the PB list are split couples and comeback skaters, but they have to use scores earned at the same type of competitions (JGP/GP, championships, Olympics, WTT, etc.) that the skaters on the PB earned, not Senior B's (except the Olympic qualifier the season after the Olympics).

Verner is currently No. 37 on the PB list and, after Majorov's appointment and Balde moving into the Top Five, is second on the list to slot into the Top Five, after Zhan Bush. It's likely too late for that now, but his placement on the PB list puts him much higher on the alternates list than his Coupe de Nice win.

ETA: The new Top Five for Men is now:

23-Menshov (NHK)
    25-Voronov (NHK)
    27-Rogozine (SC)
    31-Ge (none)
    34-Balde (SC)​

With Menshov and Voronov competing at NHK, any withdrawal from the last three events is either one they are at, one that is back-to-back (Toyko to Paris), or one where there are already three Russian men. I suspect they only would be considered for a host withdrawal at RC. According to Wikipedia, Uzbeki citizens do not need visas to travel to Russia, and if Reynolds doesn't get his visa issues sorted or Gailhauguet pulls Joubert's second GP, maybe Ge will get a RC replacement spot, although the Russian Fed could choose Moscow-born and I believe Russian-speaker not to mention :grope: Balde.

For NHK or TEB, it would probably be Rogozine or Balde
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

If Misha Ge is still in China, he'd be either in Beijing already (likely) or in the Harbin area (possible), from which he could get to Beijing asap. In other words, logistics isn't an issue and neither is the visa bit. So the only impediments are 1) Chinese Federation being on the ball and asking him even though it's last minute and 2) His willingness to participate.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Fixed the link:
    "The two-time Canadian silver medalist has been struggling with issues with his skates since the start of this season. Without being able to resolve the problems and get the skating boots to fit properly, he has missed training time, and is unable to compete for Canada in men’s at this event."

Misha Ge tweeted this Instagram video of him spinning (I see Chinese on the rink boards): http://instagram.com/p/gFZNy9nH91/
    He's based in Beijing.
  4. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

They could NOT invite him. Verner wasn't in the top 5 of alternates list to choose from according to the rules. Verner has only himself to blame for dropping out of the Grand Prix after so many years on the elite level.
  5. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

If Misha Ge is going to continue past Sochi, at this rate he should seriously consider relocating his training for the sake of actually being able to compete. :( Unless it's the Fed/country representation that's the problem?

And yes, it's frustrating how many late withdrawals there are this season. They have the right of course, but it's unfortunate.
  6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I would imagine the issue is the country he represents, as he needs visas to go basically everywhere and can't just get applications rubber stamped easily. Ge is not the first Uzbekistani skater to run into difficulties - in 2012, the ice dancers were held up with visa issues before Worlds and arrived at the rink about ten minutes before they were to take the ice for the preliminary round (IIRC, Ge was live-tweeting from the stands and was thrilled when they made it in time).
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I am not certain of this, but I think that Misha Ge is a citizen of both Russia (where he was born) and China (where he grew up and competed at the National level) as well as Uzbekistan.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If he has Russian and Chinese passports, then I don't know why it's so hard for him to get visas as it has been, unless countries are using the strictest rules for all three passports. According to his tweets, he's had to stress and sweat out the ones he's gotten and scratch from events where he can't.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

There must be more to it. Russian and Chinese skaters don't seem to have a problem.
  10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think they're only taking his Uzbekistan passport into consideration.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Given the Ge is based in Beijing, Chinese Fed really could have invited him. It wouldn't cost them anything. :(

His parents work as figure skating coaches in China and so does he.

Given he's representing Uzbekistan, that's probably the case.
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Russian and Chinese skaters also likely have people at the federation who help them with the bureaucratic process. I don't know how much support the Uzbeki federation gives Ge, or if he is kind of on his own arranging these things.
  13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

From his tweets, he's responsible for managing the process.

I don't think, for example, that Allison Reed's visas were processed based on her Georgian passport when she also held a Georgian passport although if they were, the Georgian Fed got her a passport for Vancouver so they have something going for them, while Uzbekistan Fed hasn't been helpful to Ge.
  14. Sylvia

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

My guess is that Uzbekistani Federation exists only on paper. ;P
  16. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

No, it's just a room full of monkeys on typewriters.
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Until it's time to show up at the Olympics. Then, my guess is that they'd suddenly materialize.
  18. Skittl1321

But even if it's on his Chinese or Russian passport, getting the visas to many countries as a private citizen can be a pain and take too long.
    With exceptions, Allison's process as an American would be easier.
  19. rosewood

rosewood plants lover

Thank you for the information. Shame he had boot/skate issues that limited his training time. However, it's better to know that the reason was not due to his injury. He withdrew from Japan Open for the reason of his injury on his knee. Hope he has recovered fully
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

-3 GOE to the ISU and the Chinese Fed. It wouldn't have cost them anything to invite Ge and it's not like he'd be a threat to anybody either.
  21. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Is it true that Denis Ten withdrew from Cup of China?
  22. Sylvia

23. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

24. analia

analia Member

The visa issues are very understandable. It's unlikely for him to just get a tourist visa to compete. I don't know if it's allowed by ISU for skaters to travel to competitions on a tourist visa, but even then, he would need to show the foreign consulates proof of income and/or enough savings, which I'm not sure he has under his own name. But then, if you apply for a business/sports visa, you would need all the paperwork from the federation, invitation, lodging info, insurance etc. It's never easy to get a visa. Usually in China you pay agencies to deal with the paperwork for you, but I doubt those people know how to process a UZB passport. I once tried to get a German student visa in New York City as a Chinese citizen. It took me two months, a few hundred dollars and two rounds of flight rescheduling.
  25. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Denis Ten thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ams-amp-more&p=4036618&viewfull=1#post4036618
  26. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Could he not travel under his Chinese passport? It seems to me that might make things easier considering he is living in China. Lots of skaters travel under a passport that is not the same as the country they represent. It is really too bad that he is unable to compete because of paperwork.
  27. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Misha Ge just tweeted some pictures of the rink, apparently he actually trains in the same rink the competition is being held but won't compete :(
    npavel and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is just horrible. :(
  29. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

That's a shame that the chinese fed don't invite him, he must be heartbroken
  30. Skittl1321

Even a Chinese passport is going to present issues going to many places. Especially if he does not have strong government backing pushing the paperwork. For Cup of Nice, it sounded like he just did not have enough time to get the visas.

But it seems like skating at Cup of China or Rostelcom (doesn't he have Russian citizenship too? Maybe I made that up) could have been possible. I know it was very last minute, but I feel like the Chinese Fed dropped the ball. Maybe they don't know how popular he is and didn't think it mattered.
  31. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

32. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:(
  33. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

What a debacle. :(
  34. Skittl1321

Ge replied to one of my tweets and said it was an ISU decision, not China's Federation as the LOC.
  35. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Which only goes to show how incompetent the ISU is in supporting skaters! :wall:
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well done ISU, denying a skater who was already there and could compete at no extra cost, the opportunity. :rolleyes:
  37. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I wonder if the ISU even bothered to find out where Ge trains? It seems to me there cannot be a rationale for this decision other than they couldn't be bothered to put any energy into it so they just said no. Very sad, but very telling.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  38. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If the Chinese Fed actually went to the ISU and asked if they could offer the spot to Ge, presumably they mentined this. The ISU wouldn't know Ge was in China from his bio, which hasn't been updated since last season and lists him training in California:
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013128.htm

However, this could be face-saving on the part of the Chinese Fed: the ISU may have sent pro-forma notice at the seven-day mark and the Chinese Fed may be calling this an ISU decision, , or the Chinese Fed may have asked for a "no sub" ruling at the seven-day mark and got it, but then reconsidered, and got a "too late." There's nothing in the GP Announcement that forbids a substitution at the 7-day mark or later. We don't know who did what and when, just that there's an explanation from Ge that's serving at least one purpose.
  39. jlai

jlai Title-less

Yup. we don't know what happened. Misha has lived in China on and off, and yet he has chosen to represent another country. Maybe there's a bit of "why should I help you?" Or maybe the Chinese fed don't want yet another skater to beat Wang yi. Or maybe ISU dropped the ball. Who knows.
  40. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to Ge's tweets, he did get to choreograph part of the CoC finale:

In reverse chronological order:

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396908212009463808
    Katya Bobrova was like "the hip and boby moves you did for ladies Finale gala of CoC we cant even do that good and crazy as you" ​

Did he mean "body" or "booby"?

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396892456643358720
    I've asked Carolina (Kostner)"What do you think of Choreo i did for finale of CoC,do you like it?"She: i like it ! You a Star!" (Thank You!)​

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396891579375312896
    I meet Carolina (Kostner) right after gala practice,soon as she see me she start dance the part that i choreo for finale of CoC Gala ​

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396701145277534208
    So tomorrow CoC Finally on GALA will be Chinese Choreo and Mine Choreography + Video Tutorial for All 4 categories skaters by Misha Ge ;)

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396701531870748674
    I want to do much more things in Finally for everyone but he said cause there only one hour to practice for everyone need to it more simple​

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396700696428302336
    News:i was happy to work with one famous Chinese Choreo another day. He ask me to help him to Choreo Finally for CoC GALA. #Surprise​