Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

He is a pleasure to watch indeed. However he lacks consistency and the jumps. Agree that he is not the saviour of men's figure skating......there is only one Patrick IMO.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I far prefer the style of Brown/Cassar w/o the jumps to the men who do all the jumps with their shoulders glued to their ears.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I think the lack of consistency was mainly in the 3A. That's one jump and it was the jump he had struggled with the last few seasons. But to say he lacks the other jumps is not correct. His other main issue early last season was edge calls on the lutz, but he didn't get those calls by Jr. Worlds. In fact in his Jr. Worlds FS, he got +GOE for every jump, including his two 3As.

For the record, I don't care to declare anyone the savior of figure skating. I just like the guy's skating and I do think he has a future.

And YMMV regarding his live performances. Just got an email from a friend who was at Nebelhorn who absolutely thought he was delightful.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I'm wondering who these people are who said that Jason is the "savior of men's figure skating?"

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I found one :) just snipped out a few irrelevant parts.

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

You have a bright future in journalism. Or politics! ;)

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I only said he is NOT the saviour!

9. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

"He is not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" - sorry, I can't ever help quoting Monty Python!

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  11. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I think he should remove all doubt, and skate to a medley of "the Feeling Begins" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" in a loincloth with a crown of thorns and red sequined "stigmata" gloves.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

You forgot the yellow pants.

I have no strong opinion about Jason one way or another. He's talented, but there are other talented young skaters. I wasn't as enthralled by his Riverdance program as some fans.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Of the Top Five on the SB list without two,

Skate Canada would not be back-to-back for:

• 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 29-Wang/Zhang (none) -- if they're not out due to injury
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

If W/Z are out with injury, next on the list are Vartmann/Van Cleave, who are already at SC, and there are already three Canadian Pairs at SC.

Martiusheva/Rogonov are at CoC the week after, and the fastest way from Saint John to Beijing is a little over 17 hours, with a connection in Toronto. Other flights are from 22-25 hours.

For NHK, were Zhang/Wang assigned to SC, then no one would move into the Top Five, since all would have one. If anyone else on the list is assigned, then Kemp/King would move into Top Five. The possible choices without back-to-back events are:

• Zhang/Wang (none) if they're in the Top Five; otherwise Kemp/King (none)
    • Vartmann/Van Cleave (SC)

Denny/Frazier are already at NHK. Purich/Tran and Della Monica/Guarise are at TEB the week before and would need to travel from Tokyo. (The non-stop from Tokyo to Paris is over 17 hours.) Martushieva/Rogonov are at CoC. It's a 4-8 hour flight from Beijing to Tokyo with only a one-hour time difference, and they'd be replacing another Russian team and competing along with V/T.

I think M/R should get NHK, if they don't have an issue with back-to-back trips that are no worse than SA to SC a little shorter than TEB to RC. They're the top of the SB list without two. Kemp/King already beat Takahashi/Kihara by 15+ points at Nebelhorn, and PB's of the other teams in the Top Five are at least 141.

14. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Maybe I am missing something but shouldn't Prölß / Blommaert be in the top 5 before Wang / Zhang?

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes. They were 28 on the SB list last season (147.83 Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT GER World Junior Championships 2013 28.02.2013). Fortunately for her, the ISU Senior minimum age for the Grand Prix is still 14 this season - ETA link to their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013958.htm

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I thought Prolss was not age-eligible for seniors, but Blommaert had aged out of seniors.

ETA: If she is age-eligible, then the Top Five right now would be:

18-Martushieva/Rogonov (CoC)
    22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    28-Prolss/Blommaert (none)
    29-Zhang/Wang (none) -- unless injured, in which case Vartmann/Van Cleave (SC) are the 5th
    32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)​

Prolss/Blommaert with none could be assigned to either SC or NHK.

17. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Actually, I take that very flight when I go to Japan and it's more like 11-12 hours. And if you're flying from Japan to Europe it's not as bad in terms of jet lag as you land in late afternoon.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Apologies -- the 17 hour flight has a long stop. The non-stop flights listed on Expedia are very expensive: I can imagine the French Fed insisting on one of the 25-hour trips to save $$$.

19. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

She's not age-eligible for the ISU Championships but for the GP the age limit is still one year lower (14 instead of 15). IIRC that'll change for 2014-2015 and the limit for both the GP and the big champs will be 15 (July 1st, yadda yadda). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

20. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

All the best to Smirnov! Hope he recovers fully and quickly!

I can't see the Skate Canada spot being filled unless the Russian Fed informs the ISU quickly and there is a pair in North America or Canada (training location) that could reach the location at a low cost.

Still hoping Proelss / Blommaert will get one ;)

21. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Agree on all points.

If you are blown away by his performance is a matter of taste. I was blown away at Nebelhorn but I loved him before already so his style suits my preferences.

What is not a matter of taste is the complexity of his program in between the jumps. The guy did not just do some crossovers here and there but was in constant motion with different steps and ideas. It was breathtaking to watch.

But if he will ever even get to Worlds? No idea. His jumps may be his downfall. Maybe not. Hard to say now. But if I say that I enjoy watching him I don't say at the same time that I think he will be World Champion in 2 years.
    I also enjoy watching Zoltan Kemelen. ;)

22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Impossible to predict, of course, but re: Jason's jumps. He seems to be the type that takes a while to get a jump, but once it is in, it is more consistent than average. I don't see this year as him having trouble with triple axel; he lands it quite regularly in competition. So I am hopeful about Jason's World's prospects, at some point in the next Olympic cycle ( if not in this one, though who knows). Olympic year is wonderful for up- and- comers because there's a better chance to land 4CC or Worlds. Whether one is a fan of Jason or not ( I am), the quality of his skating deserves a long International season.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Kavaguti/Smirnov's names are crossed out from Skate Canada and NHK on the ISU site; ditto for Joshi Helgesson's at Cup of China.

24. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Having made the journey many times, it's only 3.5 hour flight Beijing to Tokyo, one hour time difference is correct. Nobody in their right mind would do this as anything but a nonstop regardless of cost (hint: Expedia is not always the best source for Asia-based plane fares). It's an easy journey to make and very doable as back-to-back GP's. Tokyo to Paris is of course a much longer flight though westbound isn't that much of a jet lag problem compared to eastbound. I suspect the French Federation would use a nonstop flight cost in their calculations. But as a skater, back-to-back NHK then TEB wouldn't be my preference.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  25. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

With J. Helgesson out of Cup of China, just reminding us of the options. Since there are already 3 RUS ladies, Gosviani can't get this one. And of course Zhang and Korobeynikova are already there. So it's between Imai and Hicks (who seems unlikely as she is at SC the week before.)

26. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

U.S. Figure Skating &#8207;@USFigureSkating 3m
    NEWS: Haven Denney and @Brandon_F1992 have accepted an invitation to Skate Canada.

Happy for them...they seemed like the most logical option

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great to see that spot getting filled! :)

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From the GP Announcement:
    I've always been confused by the the bolded phrase above (which scores are meant?), but refer to kwanfan's explanation, now edited in below.

2012-13 ISU Seasons Best Total Scores list:
    18 162.25 Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS ISU GP NHK Trophy 2012
    22 155.83 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA World Junior Championships 2013 - invited to replace K/S at Skate Canada
    28 147.83 Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT GER World Junior Championships 2013
    29 145.56 Wenting WANG / Yan ZHANG CHN ISU Four Continents Championships 2013
    32 142.53 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2012 (TEB)
    34 141.79 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE GER European Championships 2013 (Skate Canada)
    35 133.56 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR World Championships 2013 (0 GP)
    36 133.05 Britney SIMPSON / Matthew BLACKMER USA ISU JGP Austria 2012 (WD from Rostelecom Cup, their only GP)
    37 133.01 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU USA World Junior Championships 2013 (0 GP)
    38 131.26 Gretchen DONLAN / Andrew SPEROFF USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2012 (0 GP)

ETA this reply from the U.S. Pairs thread:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  29. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

YEAH for an American Pair Team getting another Sr. GP event, Denney & Frazier! :encore:

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Mirai was sent to SC and CoC back-to-back two seasons back, I think. She actually had a good skate at CoC.

But Imai would still be a much more logical choice, especially considering geography. But, both Hicks and Imai have won Senior B events this season. Hicks won w/ a bigger score but is ranked lower than Imai. Might the Chinese Fed. base their decision on who will be a bigger 'threat' to Li Zijun (IDK. Will she be there? Too lazy to look)