Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I understand that.

My assumption was if there is a set of rules specifically for non-seeded skaters, then there might be a different set of rules for seeded skaters. Otherwise, why doesn't the rule simply read: "Skaters/couples will not be invited to another event in replacement, if, by medical reason, they withdraw from an assigned event."
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nope.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

When it is being consistent, the GP Announcement addresses each category of skaters separately.

You could go and read the announcement yourself if you're that curious: it's a .pdf file accessible from this page:
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-136494-137802-nav-list,00.html
  4. missing

missing Well-Known Member

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    missing and (deleted member) like this.
  6. morqet

morqet Active Member

Polina Korobeynikova is out of Cup of China.
  7. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

8. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Doubt she will be replaced. Leonova SC withdrawal has not be filled either. I really hate such small fields.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The ISU acknowledged the withdrawals of both Leonova and Korobeynikova on 17 October on the event-specific rosters (but not yet on the grid, also dated 17 October). Since the Team Leaders Meeting for Skate Canada is 24 October, Leonova does not have to be replaced. The Team Leaders Meeting for Cup of China takes place on 31 October, which is 14 days after Korobeynikova's withdrawal, and, technically, the Chinese Fed is required to replace her, but we'll see if that actually happens.
  10. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Well she competed 2 weeks ago and was almost as bad as C. Zhang. Videos are in the Kiss and Cry Russian thread if you want to watch.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for Gosviani getting an invite. She's closest and in good shape (almost clean FS with 3f/3t at Golden Bear :)).
  12. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Gosviani is on the list now for Cup of China.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

YES! :cheer:
  14. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Absolutely!
  15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So Courtney Hicks gets hosed yet again. :confused:
  16. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Something tells me its a lot easier to get a visa for China with a Russian passport and the travel costs should be lower too.
  17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Russian skater withdraws, is replaced by a Russian skater from the substitute list - who happens to be the highest ranked skater on the list not already assigned to the event. I don't see any problem.*

Maybe the USFSA should have found a way to get Hicks into the Skate America field.

* I assume the lists in this post are accurate.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Gosviani was higher on the substitute list (and cheaper to fly in as well).
  19. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

At least she'll be nice and clean
  20. bek

bek Guest

Exactly. Its the USFSA's fault Hicks doesn't have two events. They had Skate of America spot and gave it to Zhang.
  21. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Gosviani is the logical choice. Chinese visa issue is a red herring; in fact, it's usually easier and more hassle-free for a US citizen to get than for a Russian. Travel cost differential might have entered into it. However, from Hick's point of view, skating back to back at SC then CoC would have been brutal and not a recipe for a good showing at the second competition. She'd be better off with one of the later GP's, and maybe her chance will come round again, the way injured skaters have been piling up.

I wish Glebova would get something.
  22. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Really happy for Gosviani :cheer: I thought visa issues/timing would likely preclude any replacement being selected. I'm glad I was wrong!
  23. analia

analia Member

Where does it say that Nikol was added? There are still only 9 names in the roster as of now.
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Updated Top Five for Ladies Alternates List:

31-K. Zhang (CoC)
    34-Hicks (SC)
    36-Glebova (none)
    37-Lafuente (none)
    39-C. Zhang (SA)​

42-Monika Simancikova is on the bubble and will slot in if K. Zhang, Hicks, or C. Zhang get an assignment next, followed by 43-Natalie Weinzierl.

35-Korobeynikova and 38-Helgesson each had one, but withdrew, and if I'm reading the announcement correctly, they are not eligible for a "replacement" selection off the alternates list.
  26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Oh I was not aware that Kexin Zhang doesn't have a second one yet. I hope she gets another one soon, but only if she has fully recovered from her injury.

I hope Hicks gets the next one that is available.
  27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

So far K. Zhang is only listed for the CoC host spot, and Chinese Ladies have a total of four spots. There are only three Chinese Ladies who qualify for GP spots other than host spots, and one of them, Ziquan Zhao skated Juniors. Zijun Li, who was guaranteed two, is the only Chinese Ladies skater with one outside China. I don't know the status of K. Zhang's injury, but if she was still tentative when the initial assignments were made in June, especially since as SB #31 on the SB list, she wasn't guaranteed a spot, it made sense to give her a host spot, because she could be replaced by another Chinese skater automatically were she not ready.
  28. jlai

jlai Title-less

Or maybe ithe next spot will go to C Zhang who isnt much of a threat to any federation, and she may find the bye to national helpful :shuffle:
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:wall: I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened. :p

ISU really needs to change the rules to prevent stuff like this from potentially happening.
  31. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

On the positive note, C.Zhang would skate better than she skated at Skate America. (Because it is not possible to skate any worse).
  32. Jammers

It would be a disgrace for C. Zhang to get another GP assignment.
  33. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

But if you were a host nation and you didn't want someone to challenge your skater for a medal, it sure would be a good pick...
  34. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

never mind, I should have read above before replying
  35. Jammers

Would you want to include a skater who doesn't even have the skills of a top Junior skater being at your event? It would be embarrassing.
  36. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Depends what your goals are. If you are country like Japan and have some very strong female skaters, you probably wouldn't be worried that K. Zhang, Hicks, Glebova or Lafuente beats your own skaters. But if you didn't have very strong ladies and really wanted your skater to do well (e.g. in France), you wouldn't want to add potential competitor who can move them one place lower. It wouldn't be embarrassing for the Federation who invited C. Zhang even if C. Zhang doesn't skate well. It would be embarrassing for Caroline and possibly for US Federation because Caroline would be representing USA..
  37. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Why are you so worried about Caroline?
  38. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

This was the train of thought I was following. However, I think it is a moot, as I don't think the USFS would allow Caroline to accept another assignment this year- and I think invitations have to go through them.
  39. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think the JPN or RUS Feds should be confident enough to invite Hicks or at least K Zhang.

The French might consider C Zhang but the 2 European ladies might be cheaper to invite and they are equally threatless to Meite.

Now C Zhang is probably more famous in China because of her heritage...

Is that how it works? Coz otherwise I think C Zhang would accept the invitation in a heartbeat. It gives her a direct ticket to Nationals and 2 months of uninterrupted training.
  40. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

All invites and communications go through the Federations. Were C. Zhang to be invited, USFS might be able to decline before asking her. I say might, because it could be governed by one of the unpublished rules and policies they have that impact skaters' careers but aren't made public. USFS might also let it be known to the other Federations that they don't want her chosen.

She didn't slot into Top Five until Gosviani replaced Korobeynikova. Right now, China doesn't have to make any more replacements. NHK is in the undefined zone tomorrow through next Wednesday. TEB and RC are still in the period where withdrawals have to be replaced.

Leonova is scheduled for NHK. I haven't read whether she expects to be ready for it.