Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I like him too but oooh, give him a little time. This feels uncomfortably like it borders on the kind of hype that melts into equally disproportionate dumping and disappointment should he not meet ever heightening expectations.

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

The thing is, I don't think it is possible for anyone who has seen Jason Brown skating live to dump on him or feel disappointed. People's enthusiasm for Brown has nothing to do with expectations for him to win this or that medal, but rather for qualities he's demonstrated since he was a tiny junior skater at Nationals. He has this irresistible charisma that's hard to pick up on video but lights up the arena. If you want to know what "connection with audience" is, just watch him skate live. He has an unquantifiable exuberance and genuine joy that is infectious and uplifting. He is a very special performer.

3. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I guess there is always one, but I saw Jason Brown skate live in Oberstdorf and I wasn't blown away. He's a fine skater, no doubt, but all these proclamations about him being the saviour of figure skating are premature.

Oh and I thought his "Riverdance" was a bit dull. :shuffle:

4. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I love Jason and his skating very much, but I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with some of the hype he's been getting. Let's just see what happens. The guy is only 18 and won't even be 19 under after the GPF.

5. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Same. He seemed to skate a bit "small". The Prince program was good, but Mae Berenice Meite used the same music in her SP this season, and I wouldn't say that Jason was wildly ahead of her in interpretation.

6. jlai

jlai Title-less

Brown demonstrated v good skating skill and transitions on top of good interpretation in the Prince program.
    But I agree that in the sr men field he still needs to be faster bigger

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  7. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

To each his own. But I'm baffled by the "proclamations" that he will be "the savior of figure skating." Hasn't that already happened and his name is Patrick Chan?

Nobody is the savior of figure skating --- unless perhaps someone who can figure out a better way of judging this sport. I think it is rather pointless to wait for or search for a skater who is good at everything in figure skating. If you prefer faster and bigger skaters, there are Max Aaron or Javier Fernandez. Jason Brown cannot and (I predict) will not have everything, even in 10 years. He grew up in a skating club without world-class coaches and will never have the skating skills of Patrick Chan or the jumps of Hanyu. His specialty is performance. If that's not your thing, that's fine. He's not going to become great at everything so that everyone will love him.

Sideway digression: I am still surprised sometimes that in figure skating how nobody, even the best, can be good at everything. That someone like Gachinski can win silver at Worlds while I have met adult skaters with better skating skills just shows you how impossible it is to be a "well rounded" skater. If you want to pick someone apart you always can find something. Maybe that's why in figure skating complaints always outnumber praises and snark always overwhelms joy. The longer I've been a fan the more I seem to become jaded and cynical. At the 2011 US Nationals in Greensboro, the kid brought joy and fun and a love for skating to the spectators, me included. How many component points is it worth? Maybe none. But to me that's special.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I know what you mean. His programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music.

9. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:rofl: Mae Bernice is a great athlete, and she occassionally uses her arms to beautiful effect, but come on... :lol:

10. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Really? :confused:
    Mind you, that was a year ago or so, but was totally unimpressed.
    Oh, well, I know I'm special.

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

:blah: Special? Ha-ha!

12. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

oops :duh: ok, that was really bad from me. Thanks for pointing out. Of course it's the foot.
    She does quite god for having only one skate in this vid from last week
    http://youtu.be/Y8phDYHyLCY

13. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

According to the USFS international assignments page, Davis/Brubaker will replace Simpson/Blackmer at COR

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Also according to the USFS tweet posted by Sylvia here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ates-Part-II&p=4013802&viewfull=1#post4013802

Updated alternates list:
    Pairs:

Purich/Tran (split couple, TEB)
    18-Matiusheva/Rogonov (CHN)
    22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    29-Wang/Zhang (none)
    32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

If Wang/Zhang are no longer a couple or were not submitted for GP's by the Chinese Fed, then Vartman/Van Cleave (SC) are the fifth team in the group, and Kemp/King (none) are on the bubble, followed by Calalang/Sidhu (none, currently assigned to Coupe de Nice). The latter two made the minimum GP technical scores last season.

15. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Yeah, actually. I watched them both live in the last week, and there wasn't much to choose between them as to how they used the music.

16. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Wang/Zhang skated in the Chinese local competition this september http://chnfs.org/wp-content/uploads/...2014_NC_GP.pdf. They scored 40.56 for 7th place in the short program and wd from the free. I doubt they split, but they may be injured?

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

This link is broken - oubik posted the link to this early September domestic Grand Prix competition in the Chinese news thread with the translated results here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-and-reports&p=3994428&viewfull=1#post3994428

18. analia

analia Active Member

I don't find Jason Brown at all appealing. He is really not in the right direction of men's figure skating and will not have a successful career (my guess, it's possible he will never make a Worlds and USFSA's propaganda machine will never pick him as a favorite). I think this is rather very obvious and most of his fervent fans just don't want to admit it.

Last year's liebestraum drove me insane. This type of choreography just should NOT be for a aspiring senior male skater. This year's programs are even more sugary and cartoonish. I didn't think it was possible.

19. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There was some talk here that they might have split, but obviously not, but those results don't sound very promising for a GP spot selection, if they are healthy. It's possible the Chinese Fed didn't submit them for GP selection -- it's rare for this to be publicized, and we usually only know if there's a article about it (Sandhu and Sokolova come to mind) -- which only matters in trying to figure out who is on the alternates list.

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

Jason's last two lps did lack a little excitement. Not sure what is meant by sugary and cartoonish. Riverdance has good transitions and Brown is more in tune with the music than many skaters who are going from jump to jump. I have no doubt the skaters with quads will end up with more points though.
    So I think he is good (or very good depending on how you rate his non-jump elements) and he will add variety to men's skating--unless we want all male skaters to be alike.

I also think some US fans like the obskure skaters such as Jonathan Cassar because of their style, regardless of whether they will medal. While I am not a big fan of Cassar, I appreciate how the non-world medalists skaters get some fan following.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

For me what really sets him apart from everybody else is the quality of his programs. The complexity of the choreography, the amount of transitions, his timing. He has the whole package if there ever was one. Most male skaters don't come anywhere near him in those aspects.

As Marco said:
    Brown is not the most skilled, "natural" jumper and he'll most likely never become a World or Olympic champion. But 20 years from now - if I am still alive ;) - I will definitely remember his programs.

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Why not? His peers include Hanyu, Han Yan, Farris, Gachinski, Ten etc. And of all the current 'teenagers', Hanyu currently stood out. Jason is only 18yo. By 2018, he may have his quads all ready to conquer.:)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. misskarne

Without wanting to sound like the demented uber, I am very curious to know why you said the bolded. What do you think is the "right" direction of men's figure skating and why isn't Jason a part of it?

I'm also at somewhat of a loss to understand the "sugary and cartoonish" comment. Was Abbott's "Spy" "cartoonish"?

At this point, I'm happy enough to enjoy his skating. He's got the triple Axel fairly well secure, he's matured a lot in his style and he's enjoyable to me. What will come will come for him. Maybe he won't ever make a Worlds team, or an Olympics; but he'd hardly be the first wonderful skater to do that.

25. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your official "arrival" Jason Brown! You are starting to get dismissed / defended / celebrated/ mehed on an FSU thread that isn't yours!
    :cheer:

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Yay, welcome to the REAL world of seniors!;)

27. Lis

Lis Active Member

My guess is... you have this opinion to make people argue about it here. ;)
    I saw Jason live for the first time at NT afew weeks ago andi can tell you he got a very possitive reception and reaction from the audience. He does have the whole package or will soon with a quad. Actually people around me where saying hey that could be the OGM 2018 we are watching now :) I personally say a big yes to his skating style,cjoreo with great transitions and that he is living the programs.

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Perhaps the right direction in figure skating is contained in the Olympic motto 'Faster, Higher, Stronger.' Whether Jason is a part of this direction or not only time will tell. For now, his PC marks are not that impressive. Not for a skater whose "programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music." I quoted Marco.

I remember right after Jason had debuted his Riverdance program at a summer competition, someone stated he was soon to become the greatest figure skater of all time. Now someone else sounds pretty sure Brown will never even make the US team for Worlds and Olympics, much less win medals. Different crystal balls, different predictions. lol

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think his PC marks are too low for what he does; likely because he is not a 'name'.

I mean- he does a Y spiral into a triple lutz. For goodness sakes, I can't think of a more difficult transition.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. misskarne

I can. For a while there he used to pull it right above his head and grab his foot with the other hand. :p A regular Y-spiral is obviously muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch less difficult. :p