Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

From a fairness pov I hope Popova gets picked since she has none, though I won't complain if Hicks gets one :)

2. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Popova has now been added to Skate Canada:
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4721

:cheer2:

ETA - Korpi has also been crossed off of TEB - since all of the alternates now have one assignment, the list hasn't changed. Someone up thread had speculated Gosviani or Korobeynikova, but the latter hasn't made it on to the alternate list yet.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

She can just Popova. :slinkaway

Dr.Siouxs, peibeck, Daisy18 and 5 others like this.
  4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Hicks deserves a spot in at least one Sr GP event. Of course, that would upset the NBC-USFS marketing plan even further.

5. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Yay for Popova!

6. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

yay too. i would have bet for imai.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Gosviani joined the Top Five alternates list when Cesario was assigned to TEB, her second, to replace Silete on 2 September, and Gosviani could have been chosen instead of Popova.

Hicks is on the bubble. She was mentioned in case a skater is moved into the group if one of the skaters in the Top Five is ineligible for that event, in this case, Lacoste.

Korobeynikova is after Hicks on the SB list.

The only place I see enough data to see if skaters stay in the Top Five after being assigned for their first off the alternates list is last year's Pairs -- Montalbano/Krasnopolski, who never made the GP minimum -- but they were, literally, down to their last eligible team, since Donlan/Speroff's SA score didn't count towards the GP minimum, and Scimeca/Knierem won one Coupe de Nice just in time to make it to the bottom of the list. The GP Announcement says nothing about it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  8. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I hope Joshi Helgesson get ready in time, but she is still not on ice

9. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Now that Frank Carroll makes it fairly clear Lysacek is not going to Skate America, will someone else be assigned to replace him? Who are the men's alternates? (Sorry I'm too lazy to look up the list of best scores.)

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  11. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It will not be an alternate from the ISU list. It will be an American man. It will likely be Jason Brown or Alex Johnson.

12. toddlj

toddlj The sort of fan who gets up at 3am to watch

But since Evan is a host pick, it will definitely go to a US contender. Brown, I hope; though perhaps since he's at the top of the alternate list, they may play strategy instead and go with someone who won't otherwise get a pick, like Carriere or Hochstein.

ETA: Jayar beat me to it. (But I don't think Johnson is ready to compete yet)

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

A host pick possibility is Stephen Carriere who won the silver medal in SLC. I'm not sure of Alex Johnson's current status - believe he returned to the ice in late August after having ankle surgery earlier this summer.

14. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. Has to be Brown then. :)

ETA: OK so the host pick may not necessarily be Brown. Since I'm going I really hope they pick Brown rather than Carriere, Hochstein, or Razano. Johnson couldn't have been competition ready 35 days before so I don't think he'll make it either.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  15. toddlj

I'd be thrilled if it was Brown, don't get me wrong, especially because I'll be in Detroit to see it. :)
    But if he doesn't get it, the logic involved would be that Brown could get another assignment, as he is on the top of the alternate list, and so won't need the host pick. (Plus, he already has one assignment; so perhaps USFSA will want to "spread the wealth.")
    I actually do think they will go with Jason. But it's not a "done deal."

(Evidence that they might go with Brown instead of a "spread the wealth" choice: They went with Hubble/Donohue over K/G-S in Dance.)

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's a host spot, so there is no alternates list, unless the host gives up the spot altogether. USFS can appoint any American ISU-basic eligible -- age, not held by another Fed, ec. -- who doesn't already have two assignments and wasn't submitted on the JGP list back in the spring. I don't know if host picks had to be on the senior list from the spring, or if skater/teams can be added later.

I hope Brown gets it: he's a pleasure to see live.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

+1

18. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

James/Cipres have been removed from the Skate America roster. They're still listed for TEB.

20. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Well-Known Member

Shame, I was hoping to see her at TEB!
    Scores of Yu-na fans are getting their flights to Paris cancelled as we speak...:p

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

22. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Popova was added to TEB...from nothing to two assignments in about a week!

ETA: In theory, the SA pairs spot should go to Purich/Tran since they're a split couple, right? (since Takahashi/Kihara already have two and Davis/Brubaker can't go as there are already three American teams at SA)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Deleted

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Sorry about Yuna being out of the series. A slight positive spin on this: This adds to the mystery...so whoever wins the GP Series will go into Olys wondering what's under wraps.

26. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

I hope they both recover quickly and have a good season. I don't know if it's been discussed in another thread, but Kaitlyn Osmond posted on Face book that she has a "stress issue" in her foot and has been in an air cast for a month. she is just getting back on the ice. Cross your fingers for a healthy Olympic year for everybody.

27. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Hadn't heard this. Hope to see you on ice soon, Kaetlyn!

28. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

Gosh.... THREE pre-season injuries already among the top ladies. First Korpi, and now it's Osmond and Kim. I will find comfort in that reportedly none of them has to go through a surgery.

29. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about Yuna nor Kaetlyn, they're both mentally tough and their injuries are not potentially career ending like Sarah Abitbol's, Tara Lipinski's, Deanna Stellato (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deanna_Stellato), just to name a few.

Rather, I prefer to see the glass half full, and see their injuries in the same vein as Michelle Kwan during the 1997/98 Olympic season wherein she sustained a stress fracture to her foot, had to wear a cast, sat out the GP, and came back roaring at '98 Nationals and the Olympics. :hat1:

Wonder whom will replace Yuna and James/Cipres? :confused:

30. toddlj

There is some discussion that it could be Miki; but AFAIK, even if Miki wins Nebelhorn (which is a big if, considering Radionova's monster score potential) it still only would add her to the bottom of the sub list. I think the five options for replacing Kim would be:
    • 27-Imai (RC)
    • 31-K. Zhang (CoC)
    • 32-Lacoste (SC)
    • 33-Gosviani (CoR)
    • 34-Hicks